Home Strategy, Tips & Tactics

Population and Public Order: A Balancing Act

Lord RedrumLord Redrum Posts: 979
edited 11.06.2014 in Strategy, Tips & Tactics
Why are these important?

Population size decides how many coins you can collect via taxes. For most players this is the main, if not the only way they earn coins. Coins pay for some tools (all resource tools when the armourer is here), recruiting armies and transporting armies between worlds. Therefore, the more coins you earn in a given time the faster and larger you can build your army. Tax levie research (unlocked with the research tower) and bribing the tax man can boost your coin production by up to 40% but the larger your population the greater the difference these boosts will make. Taxes are collected automatically from all your castles so you may have a large population in one castle and a small population in another but overall your population will be the same as if the populations were evenly split between the two and so the taxes collected will be the same.

Public order decides the productivity at each of your castles. Productivity is the boost you receive to resource production (food, wood and stone). Since public order is effected by population, protection and decorations at each of your castles and these three things vary from castles to castle, productivity will also vary from castle to castle. The maximum bonus you can receive from protection to public order is 335 which is equal to only a few parks and so decorations should make up the majority of your public order.

Where does the balancing act come in?

Population and public order are a balancing act because the higher your population, the more of a negative effect this will have on your productivity. Conversely, the greater your public order value the greater your producvity will be.

This is important because soldiers are expensive, particularly veterans, and moving armies between worlds is extremely expensive especially if you have large armies you need to move about. So the more coins you produce the more relaxed you can be about your coin collecting, the more you can recruit and he more you can move your armies about. So why not just build loads of dwellings to increase your population and become a property tycoon? Your productivity will plummet and you will be producing much less resources.

The less resources you're producing the harder it is to build and, more importantly if your a war-mongering player, the less food you can produce. Less food means a smaller army or the ever imposing possibility of mass desertion of you manage to build a large army and loot food.

My tips on population size

This depends on the type of soldiers you have available and the kingdoms you have unlocked. All these things are down to your level. There are many different types of player out there as well who need different numbers of coins to get what they need todo done. So these numbers should be taken and modified slightly depending on your needs and the ranges represent different player's needs. I will start at level 20 as this is the earliest I feel I can give good advice for:

Levels 20-30 earning 3-600 coins every ten minutes
Levels 31-40 earning 5-1,000 coins every ten minutes
Levels 41-60 earning 1,000 coins minimum (but 2,000ish is the best number for high coin and food production) every ten minutes

Population is best spread across all your castles evenly (possibly a bit less at your main castle on green) to give you these tax earnings. Note that every ten minutes is an example I'm not saying you should collect every ten minutes!

I would say that town houses are definitly not worth their ruby cost. It is better to have ruby decorations than the town houses because they only give an advantage, even at max level, of an extra 18 population (for no negative effect on public order).

Maximising Public order/productivity

There are different decorations unlocked at different levels but the best decoration available with resources is the castle gardens which boosts public order by 130 and the best ruby decoration is the festival square which boosts public order by 190. Gold knights are not worth buying as parks are almost as good an castle gardens are better than the gold knight. Both these are free whilst the gold knight costs rubies.

Parks should be the staple decoration for mid level players. If you haven't unlocked parks yet then build the best decorations you can.

At level 52+ replace your parks with castle gardens and fill the gaps in your castle with ornamental trees for a small advantage.

Obviously if you can afford festival squares buy those but gold knights aren't worth the rubies.

The ultimate goal

The ultimate goal for all players should be a producvity at all castles of 200+% and a total population at all castles of 4.5-6k which is possible even with dwellings and resource decorations.

How to Calculate PO% for your castle
1) Decoration+Protection-Population-Unrest="X"
2) Square Root X, Times the answer by 2 and add 100.
3) Use a minus symbol after calcuation it X is negative.

I.e: ±(2*√X)+100

Credit to sucmfic for the calculation!
Post edited by Lord Redrum on
Lord Redrum of Rebuild, GB World 5

RETIRED

Comments

• KingdomAtlantisKingdomAtlantis Posts: 3
    edited 22.11.2013
    You, have good advice. I have read many of your posts. I have a question that you sort of touched on but, I need a little more info If you have it to give. I have a fellow alliance player who is @ a much higher level than me. His productivity is actually really good. A 220%. He is going crazy because he has spent over 8'000 rupees transferring soldiers between worlds trying to get himself out of the negative with food. Then when he does get positive in one place, he is negative in another. He has already calculated his food consumption per soldier & not exceeded his food & is still having issues getting things balanced. Do you have any advice at all concerning this. & TY for taking time out to read & respond.
    Appreciated.
    KingdomAtlantis @ GG 1
  • Lord RedrumLord Redrum Posts: 979
    edited 22.11.2013
    If your friend has negative food somewhere then there are a few long term and short term fixes for this, for a player with high productivity.

In the long term they could buy and upgrade a bakery or get more farmhouses and upgrade these farmhouses (there gets a point where there's no point doing this though and your friend may be past this point).

In the short term you can hire an overseer for just under 1k rubies to boost your food production by 20% for 1 week. You can also loot food from other players by attacking them.

If none of this works then your friend will have to reduce his food consumption. The game limits the size of the army you can support so that no player can have too large an army and dominate over his peers. So maybe this will be necessary.

RETIRED
  • KingdomAtlantisKingdomAtlantis Posts: 3
    edited 23.11.2013
    Thank-you for responding. I think there may be a glitch w/the game. Last night he was negative & this morning he was positive & his food storage was full. Drastic change from one day to the next. Now it looks a though he is only having issues in one world & may lose these soldiers.
    KingdomAtlantis @ GG 1
  • LORD TWITCH8290LORD TWITCH8290 Posts: 1
    edited 24.11.2013
    Why can't they just make a sells person stand in front of ur castle that can sell u wood.. stone... food...when u need it right away... instead of waiting for ur wood shop make u 3 every hour...lol
    LORD TWITCH8290 @ GG 1
    edited 24.11.2013
    There is a trader who comes a couple times a week who you can buy resources from

RETIRED
  • Darya The GreatDarya The Great Posts: 3
    edited 29.11.2013
    I have one question about Net public order and productivity correlation. In main castle I have Net public order 40 and productivity 113%, whereas in my outpost I Net public order result is 156 and productivity is only 125%. So I can't understand how actually this productivity percentage is calculated? Does it depend on other factors other than Net public order result ( which is the result of decoration+defence-population-unrest)?

Thank you for clarifications!
    Darya The Great @ GG 1
  • The DesslockThe Desslock Posts: 74
    edited 29.11.2013
    The benefit you get for additional public order decreases as your public order rises.
    The Desslock @ GG 1
    edited 29.11.2013
    Hey guys, edited my post so you can now calculate your productivity based on your public order :)

RETIRED
  • UncleRandyUncleRandy Posts: 2
    edited 12.12.2013
    Unless my math is off, Using this formula and algeabra I calculated that you need your "X" to equal at least 2500 in order to be at the desired level of 200%. Can anyone with 200% verify this?
    UncleRandy @ GG 1
    edited 12.12.2013
    UncleRandy wrote: »
    Unless my math is off, Using this formula and algeabra I calculated that you need your "X" to equal at least 2500 in order to be at the desired level of 200%. Can anyone with 200% verify this?

That's right yes :)

RETIRED
  • UncleRandyUncleRandy Posts: 2
    edited 12.12.2013
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm a newb and still trying to learn the game. The way I see it, for a new player such as myself there seems to be certain levels that a new player should strive to get then focus on other areas until you get the bigger decoration items. One of these levels is your PO at 100, from 0-100 is the biggest jump in your productivity % with a .2%/PO point difference. The next is at a PO of around 800. That is where the productivity % change dips down to about .03%/PO point. The next is a PO of 1600 where the % change dips down to .02%/PO point. Then the % change stays around .02%/PO point until 2500. Now I'm not a well versed player so I don't know when these levels should be achieved, but it seems pointless for someone like myself, who's a Lv13 and a PO of 163, to keep building the 10 decoration point decoration now knowing this.
    UncleRandy @ GG 1
    edited 12.12.2013
    Building decorations at a low level will help you produce more resources and recruit faster etc but obviously once you level and unlock better decorations your PO and therefore production will increase much more quickly as you replace your old decorations

RETIRED
  • SyrinaxSyrinax Posts: 9
    edited 31.12.2013
    Keep in mind also that some of the quests require a certain number of decorations. One required 25 so those cheap low level decorations do come in handy and can be boxed when you need room for better bigger decorations
    Syrinax @ GG 1
  • HarrenhalHarrenhal Posts: 1
    edited 04.01.2014
    Quick question in somewhat the same area of food production. I keep being reminded that the produtivity of each of my food huts goes down with each new food hut I build. So, if Im reading correctly....I need to keep decorations balanced with food/resource production balanced with military personnel per level of play. Ok,.Fine. But Id rather overbuild my military defense team and not be wiped out by a higer level player as soon as my little dove of protection disappears. But my first team deserted and my second team will desert in about 50 hours unless I lose a few more personnel to military action, making my defense much less, once again.. My levels and honor arent great enough to join an alliance, I think, and I dont know how casually, or not, I may play in future. TLDR; in lower levels, how do I make a defensible castle and keep my personnel fed? Thanks in advance for replies.
    Harrenhal @ GG 2
    edited 04.01.2014
    You won't be able to feed a large army at all when you start. But you probably won't get any attention from high level players. Just focus on having a decent defence and an army that you can feed.

Expand your walls as much as possible. Build towers as well. Then focus on decorations and farm houses just so you can protect yourself long enough to become established. Joining an alliance will help you massively, go to the world map and look for a local but active one

RETIRED
  • Nicholas PehNicholas Peh Posts: 1
    edited 11.01.2014
    Hi, I'm a newbie and still learning the detailed rules of this game. My first question is: in my ranking, the first is my. Level,the third is my glory point, but I have zero for the second rating. What is this?
    My second question is: how do I get more glory point?
    Nicholas Peh @ GG 2
  • Sir TeddingtonSir Teddington Posts: 68
    edited 17.01.2014
    Hi guys,

Got some Tips on feeding your army. Further to Redrums tips - having Bakeries and Mills out all locations is a must for having a decent sized army. But it is a good idea also to concentrate your defence and attacks troops in one or 2 locations in the main world. This way you can feed your armies from your other outposts with the food production you have there, also if you have a helpful alliance or pacts with others just ask for food to be sent to your outposts that your using for storage of food and resources only. doing it this way provide you with extra time as you constantly have a food source if are only concentrating your forces in one or 2 locations (main world only). you must remember you can only have a certain amount of farms before the production rate of them is pointless. You can always take a new Food Outpost and relinquish your old one to a team member so you can produce more food and then providing your member is cooperative - they can provide you with the resources from your old outpost as well having it for themselves. I am pretty much at the point now where I don't even need stone or wood so was a good option for me to do this.
    Sir Teddington - General of Impact UK - Leader of the War Pigs!
  • aberowen (US1)aberowen (US1) Posts: 3
    edited 01.02.2014
    Thank u for the clear advice. I am wondering about my food production. I have one 8 food 2 wood out post one 6 stone two food outpost and one 6 wood 2 food. I am continuing to struggle witb feeding my troops. Should I have selected higher food OP or work to max PO and research. Any advice is appreciated.
    aberowen @ GG 1
  • Thangka the DogThangka the Dog Posts: 27
    edited 01.02.2014
    I looked at your castle aberowen. You have made nice progress on your walls and development. You 8 and 6 food are fine. You need to fill in space with jousts or festivals or other decorations you can manage. A few more farms before more masons and sawmills. You have a lot room over time to increase food right where you are now .
    Thangka the Dog @ GG 1
  • monkeys fortmonkeys fort Posts: 6
    edited 04.02.2014
    Not sure if this is right forum but I'm trying to find out the max solders villages can hold in both winter and sands? I've lost a village cuz they walked
    monkeys fort @ GG 1
  • RosielRosiel Posts: 53
    edited 12.02.2014
    From what I've noticed, if you do not build ruby decorative it is really hard to keep up the population numbers suggested in this thread.

I have a huge gold income income with only getting ~350 gold per 10min tax, and basically not counting on tax for my gold.

Instead I raid towers for my gold. I have steady rotation of attackers on towers/fortresses on green,ice and sands (I am not in fire yet) and get lots of gold from it, more than I can spend overall.
    Rosiel @ GG 1
  • Sir TeddingtonSir Teddington Posts: 68
    edited 14.02.2014
    Fill your spaces in your ops and castles with decorations - buto nly high level ones - in both my food ops I have 270% public order now with 4k in food being produced per hour.
    Sir Teddington - General of Impact UK - Leader of the War Pigs!
  • Melon MelMelon Mel Posts: 602
    edited 01.03.2014
    Gotta agree with Rosiel on that one.
    Tried to get 300 coins per 10 minutes at level 20 and now I'm level 29...
    I know that it's just a guide but I can barely hit 500.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Melon Mel @ GG 17 (AU 1) Leader of The Free! JOIN TODAY!
  • BreadfanBreadfan Posts: 1
    edited 11.06.2014
    What affects protection when determining PO?
    Breadfan @ GG 2
  • Melon MelMelon Mel Posts: 602
    edited 11.06.2014
    Breadfan wrote: »
    What affects protection when determining PO?

Public Order does nothing to how much protection you have.

Protection however, affects your public order.
    It's not really "protection", it's just how many towers you have. If you have more towers which are upgraded, you get more Public Order per tower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Melon Mel @ GG 17 (AU 1) Leader of The Free! JOIN TODAY!
  • Lezley (GB1)Lezley (GB1) GB1 Posts: 2,652
    Hi, I know this is old thread, but it seems good place to ask this question.

On research tower, u can increase castle population. What effect does this have? I'm assuming it gives u more tax, villagers/militia, but will it effect po?
    Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience.
    Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence.
  • Hi, I know this is old thread, but it seems good place to ask this question.

On research tower, u can increase castle population. What effect does this have? I'm assuming it gives u more tax, villagers/militia, but will it effect po?
    It'll increase number of citizen/militia in your castle. It doesn't effect po.
  • edited 23.09.2015
    Not that one.  There's one called military draft - increases the number of militia in your castle.  Lezley is referring to the one called Medicine - increases the population.

I don't know exactly how it works so I didn't attempt to answer.  I haven't upgraded it yet because I didn't want it to effect PO
    _Castle_Black_ @ GG 2
  • OriginXVIIOriginXVII Posts: 446
    Not that one.  There's one called military draft - increases the number of militia in your castle.  Lezley is referring to the one called Medicine - increases the population.

I don't know exactly how it works so I didn't attempt to answer.  I haven't upgraded it yet because I didn't want it to effect PO
    As far as I can tell it does not effect public order. I had it upgraded to level 1 then upgraded to level 2 and saw no change. If it does it must not effect very much or is not updating properly because my PO points remained the same. 

It is supposed to just take your total pop in your castle and increase it slightly for more tax money. I can test it again if you want and tell you for certain. As I did test it a long time ago. Only thing is it may be a long while as I need to wait for the researcher to show up.

-OriginXVII
    z3pl2M7.png
    gypsydog78 wrote: »
    .... Origin is the best forum mod to date IMO... I'm going to be upset if you guys run Origin off .....
  • Lezley (GB1)Lezley (GB1) GB1 Posts: 2,652
    edited 24.09.2015
    There a tax one just to increase coins, so I suspect medicine must do something slightly different? At least researcher comes more often than architect. . .
    Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience.
    Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence.
Sign In to comment.