Home English (UK) General Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Debate about the recently added advertisements

Comments

• wozzell (GB1)wozzell (GB1) GB1 Posts: 96
    Rarely visit the forums these days - find a lot of it a bit too argumentative and not in a constructive way in a lot of  instances (from players and mods)

but strolling through the discussion about the recent introduction of ads and the comments from a player that had a valid point about the subject i was shocked to see a moderator post the comment "not my job, if you don't like it don't play it" -Blimey what happened to customer service? they should put this mod in charge of  public relations! 

p.s  for what its worth (which is obviously nothing to a mod or GGE staff) in my opinion the ads are a pain in the rear/game destroying/ and add to that that i have to pay GGE to remove them they are little more than blackmail.

keep smiling - Wozzell
    I didn't say this about the ads, I said this to someone who complained about every aspect of the game.
    It's simple, if you don't enjoy something that's not a necessity in life, don't do it.

But, my job is to be the connection between the players and the studio, however, there is very little I can do for someone that doesn't enjoy a single part of the game. 

• I have no search history saved or acccessible on my laptop - so whatever they are using is random - and i find a woman even dressed sat on a toilet or bidet as offensive - if I want to look at that sort of stuff there are websites i can visit - I honestly believe that this advert does not comply to uk standards - and although GGs is german / scandinavian - as the service is provided in the uk it cannot abrogate or overrule uk law - especially after the 31st december !

If they merge servers i think that'll be the nail in the coffin for me !
    dandelion1958 @ en 1

Am still playing 8 years on ! - hi lvl 800 on new yrs eve (2017/18) !

Leading the Targaryens - PS interested in joining - PM any officer in Game :-)
    taking a more relaxed role:-)
    PS in top200 on uk 1 never botted or used a VPN - that's why it took 5 yrs to get to leg 800
  • Sxlaxs (DE1)Sxlaxs (DE1) DE1 Posts: 13
    I have no search history saved or acccessible on my laptop - so whatever they are using is random - and i find a woman even dressed sat on a toilet or bidet as offensive - if I want to look at that sort of stuff there are websites i can visit - I honestly believe that this advert does not comply to uk standards - and although GGs is german / scandinavian - as the service is provided in the uk it cannot abrogate or overrule uk law - especially after the 31st december !

If they merge servers i think that'll be the nail in the coffin for me !
     https://www.taylorwessing.com/download/article_governing_law.html

Nope, the service provider can choose which law applies.
  • PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) GB1 Posts: 352
    edited 18.11.2020
    Now correct me if I am wrong, but, ads should be based of your cookies and thus what you are interested in. Second, if you report and ad it's an annoyance towards the people who bought the ad spot, not the ones providing them.
    Errr.....  I suspect you are wrong..... except for the "should be" part

Think the game is spamming same adverts to all and I've not observed any of the sort of clever targeting using cookies that you get on even the most basic one make car forum.

Day trading, forex, international shipping and lots of weird German toilet fixings  - the latter leading me to think that a) thier covid panic buying must mean toilet tissue is a scarce commodity or b) bidet's didn't catch on for them in  the 80's

Put it this way....I don't think the advertisers are getting value for their money.... which I'm guessing they know and GGE aren't getting paid top dollar (well fraction of a cent...) for this : sad if it means GGE can't aford to develop the game and driving people away because of it.
    edited 18.11.2020
    Sxlaxs....All you have done is prove yourself wrong, so I suggest you re-read the article properly. Any ads shown in the UK would make the Uk the consumers, and as such the consumers country of domicile.
    Nice one Sxlaxs
    Based on our past experience, for a digital content provider who aspires to sell his products to other European countries, it is most advisable to draft the general terms of business or licensing agreements in a way that allows the application of laws of the consumer's country of domicile. 

Damn, you should really learn to read. 
    It says you can sue GGS in English courts, but they have to apply German law.
    "Under the EU Brussels I Regulation1 , a consumer has an option to bring proceedings against a foreign content provider in the courts of his country of domicile." It says you can sue them in your coutrts, not that the law applies. See below.

"For example, by means of a choice of law clause inserted into his general terms of business or a licensing agreement, a UK content provider may stipulate English law as the governing law. Such a choice of law would lead to a situation in which a foreign court would need to apply English law. If a consumer were a resident of Slovakia, the competent court in Slovakia would have to interpret English law in order to decide the case." (Quote from the article I send). We all know that Slovakia is a part of the EU. As the UK isn't anymore(officially), it wouldn't even apply to the UK anymore.

"Online and mobile games and other services offered by Goodgame Studios are intended solely for the purpose of entertainment. The use of these games or services for business or commercial purposes is strictly prohibited."
    Means that YOU aren't allowed to use it for business. That would mean they would say they can't even sell rubies. Which is also implied by "used". GGS offers the game and you are only allowed to use it for entertainment purposes.

Of course this maybe another reason for their planned joining of servers, due to said complications, one of which would have to be the UK server as it exits the EU.
    All players are aware how the ToC's have been used by GGE to suit their purpose, depending on the subject, and I seriously doubt it will ever change, so its another case of if a player is not happy then he moves on.

And this shows again how you didn't read the article. It doesn't matter what the server name is, it is important which country YOU are from. So if you are from the UK and play on a Brazil server, you could still sue them in UK courts, would have to use German law tho.
    A merge wouldn't change that. Besides, the servers are hosted in Germany anyway, so it's just the name of the server...
    edited 19.11.2020
    I had to laugh, really.

I don't twist anything and you can't interpret it in any other way. It's EU law, this is not down to interpretation. And as the UK isn't part of the EU anymore, you can't even do that. You can’t sue a foreign company, that's easy. And should be logical to anyone. 

Servers are hosted in Germany, you are not even a customer as you don't pay for anything. You are a user. You use a service of a foreign company. You access a server hosted in Germany. 

These ToS were made by lawyers, amusing to see that you know it better ;)

And an other article for you https://www.termsfeed.com/blog/governing-law-terms-conditions/ No law, which isn't Germanies, is important here. This is a fact, and not even you, a know it all, can deny it.
    But I know what you'll answer anyway, some twisted text, which has no valid argument. Learn how to debate, or don't join the debate.  :*

You know, I talk for myself, I never say others are my opinion. This is a forum and everyone is allowed to express his opinion. Still, these are facts and it's not an opinion. But weren't you the one who talks "for the whole community"? Grow up, accept opinions, read and educate yourself. You critize everything, why? Is it worth it? Do you have to put mods down? Do you have to waste your time insulting mods, cms or ggs staff? Why waste your time on something you don't agree with and probably will critize in every way. People like you, which are forgetting about the good things really quick and don't even appreciate the steps in the right direction or the things cms do when they paid out 1st rewards for the kl, are hypocrites.
    Post edited by Sxlaxs (DE1) on
  • Philt123 (GB1)Philt123 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,839
    Game is growing that fast GOODGAMEGREED want more money.
    Had to laugh at game is growing fast GGE must think all 
    the thousands of SHELL accounts means it's growing . 

Why don't gge let all the shells and dodgy accounts get free rubies every day
    free wood stone food to help them grow even faster. also give them free doves
    so they can put one shell in to dove and then start another shell at same time.

one last thing what the hell are they smoking in GGE 
    Growing could also mean that its content has greatly increased.
    But according to a stillfront report the player count has also gone up a bit.
    The player count has gone up because there are now hundeds of new shells being made 
    That's not how they determine the player count, so no.
    The daily active unique players have gone up.

Thats a very interesting post, that suggests that GGE can actually identify unique players if thats the case can you tell me why there are so many multis and shells in the game, becasue by your own admission GGE can identify who is runnign an account.  

Surely you are not suggesting that GGE are allowing Shells / multis they know all about are you ?
    Philt123 @ en 1
  • Philt123 (GB1)Philt123 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,839
    I just used the term Stillfront chose...
    DUA, daily active users, generally speaking these are unique players.

Shells are a problem, but they don't make up for half the player count.

The issue with banning shells is that you need concrete evidence, which is often hard to get.

For once we agree, they make up much much more than half the player count, its been a very long time since they were just half
    Philt123 @ en 1
  • gazz65 (GB1)gazz65 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 707
    I had to laugh, really.

I don't twist anything and you can't interpret it in any other way. It's EU law, this is not down to interpretation. And as the UK isn't part of the EU anymore, you can't even do that. You can’t sue a foreign company, that's easy. And should be logical to anyone. 

Servers are hosted in Germany, you are not even a customer as you don't pay for anything. You are a user. You use a service of a foreign company. You access a server hosted in Germany. 

These ToS were made by lawyers, amusing to see that you know it better ;)

And an other article for you https://www.termsfeed.com/blog/governing-law-terms-conditions/ No law, which isn't Germanies, is important here. This is a fact, and not even you, a know it all, can deny it.
    But I know what you'll answer anyway, some twisted text, which has no valid argument. Learn how to debate, or don't join the debate.  :*

You know, I talk for myself, I never say others are my opinion. This is a forum and everyone is allowed to express his opinion. Still, these are facts and it's not an opinion. But weren't you the one who talks "for the whole community"? Grow up, accept opinions, read and educate yourself. You critize everything, why? Is it worth it? Do you have to put mods down? Do you have to waste your time insulting mods, cms or ggs staff? Why waste your time on something you don't agree with and probably will critize in every way. People like you, which are forgetting about the good things really quick and don't even appreciate the steps in the right direction or the things cms do when they paid out 1st rewards for the kl, are hypocrites.
    GOOD THINGS 
    have I missed these GOOD THINGS , must have been asleep when these came along.
    goodgamegreed don't do anything good for players and they don't listen players.

outers constant mess ups . beri messed up . spy reports messed up , bugs and bugs and bugs
    ads what no one wants apart from MODS and people working for ggg . 

• bernhardt (US1)bernhardt (US1) US1 Posts: 978
    This legal discussion has been so Euro-centric on Saxo's part despite the use of other countries.  As a US player and resident, I can tell you that the TOS and any other disclaimer type language pretty much means nothing if the abuse/neglect is significant as the courts here have deemed them non-binding since nobody really reads them(let alone with a lawyer present).  Meaning I can sue them here and make them come to me to defend the case.  Mom and Pop operations in a foreign(to the US) country are more likely to have their ToS/disclaimer upheld since the scale of the case is likely to be smaller.  GGE/Stillfront is not a mom & pop operation.  I will say that GGE/Stillfront probably pay more attention to things like the various advertising laws than they do to mere financial laws where player finances are concerned for what I would think are obvious reasons.

As to the ad in question, I haven't seen it that I can recall.  Seen a bunch of ads that definitely aren't for this continent and other ads that make me wonder just what demographic the advertisers think they're reaching is.
  • Wiglema (NL1)Wiglema (NL1) NL1 Posts: 730
    Now correct me if I am wrong, but, ads should be based of your cookies and thus what you are interested in. Second, if you report and ad it's an annoyance towards the people who bought the ad spot, not the ones providing them.

Think the game is spamming same adverts to all and I've not observed any of the sort of clever targeting using cookies that you get on even the most basic one make car forum.

Day trading, forex, international shipping and lots of weird German toilet fixings  - the latter leading me to think that a) thier covid panic buying must mean toilet tissue is a scarce commodity or b) bidet's didn't catch on for them in  the 80's

Put it this way....I don't think the advertisers are getting value for their money.... which I'm guessing they know and GGE aren't getting paid top dollar (well fraction of a cent...) for this : sad if it means GGE can't aford to develop the game and driving people away because of it.

Perhaps different ads on different servers?
    I always get the same two:

I don't think I have seen any other ads in GGE (except for a totally black screen when an ad apparently doesn't load).
    Looks like they really want me to move to another game.  :D

Wiglema (NL1)
  • Wasso (INT3)Wasso (INT3) INT3 Posts: 3,332

Perhaps different ads on different servers?
    I always get the same two:

I don't think I have seen any other ads in GGE (except for a totally black screen when an ad apparently doesn't load).
    Looks like they really want me to move to another game.  :D

Many alternate game site ads on INT3 as well............
    Good night.
    Sleep well.
    I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

• PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) GB1 Posts: 352
    Talking about laws, lets think about cookies...

Anyone actually seen any cookie warings or explicit consent about cookies from these new adverts??

"Third-Party Cookies are set by websites other than the one you are currently visiting. In our case, websites from which such pictures and GIFs come from may store third-party cookies on your web browser. We want to make it very clear that as long as you don't open any off-site content, you will not receive those cookies. This means that only if you clicked the content itself to open it in a separate tab you will get the cookies.

Since we don't want to eliminate opportunities for sharing content from third-party websites, we would like to warn you and to reassure you that third-party cookies are not stored on your web browsers unless you interact with their content." - this all from the announcement page.

I'm not sure that gets around the sort of explicit consent that UK, EU European, and maybe other jurisdiction, laws insist on around cookies...and while the above was phrased in terms of user generated content, seems some legal ass-covering may well be going on about the new adverts..... that GGE maybe hasn't got technically quite right yet?,

• Crom CruachCrom Cruach Community Manager Posts: 1,361
    Thanks for the feedback on the thread, I'll summarise it and bring this to Studio. However the advertisements aren't going anywhere.
  • Poseidon X AngelPoseidon X Angel Moderator Posts: 1,357
    Well that's a nice definite answer 

@Crom Cruach
    However the advertisements aren't going anywhere.

Make the whole thread pointless, and as you are so definitely, definite in your answer, why are we even bothering with the feedback. This is exactly what forum regulars and complaints are all about, that no one in GGE is listening, or even interested in much of players input into the game.
    Despite the ads not going anywhere, there are still possibilities to fine tune them so they don't obstruct gameplay as much as they sometimes do now.
  • Well that's a nice definite answer 

@Crom Cruach
    However the advertisements aren't going anywhere.

Make the whole thread pointless, and as you are so definitely, definite in your answer, why are we even bothering with the feedback. This is exactly what forum regulars and complaints are all about, that no one in GGE is listening, or even interested in much of players input into the game.
    Despite the ads not going anywhere, there are still possibilities to fine tune them so they don't obstruct gameplay as much as they sometimes do now.

I'm still getting them despite having bought in a previous outers after they were added - has this been fixed or still ongoing ?
    Plus alliance tournament rewards still no been paid out ! over a week now !

dandelion1958 @ en 1

Am still playing 8 years on ! - hi lvl 800 on new yrs eve (2017/18) !

Leading the Targaryens - PS interested in joining - PM any officer in Game :-)
    taking a more relaxed role:-)
    PS in top200 on uk 1 never botted or used a VPN - that's why it took 5 yrs to get to leg 800
  • Thanks for the feedback on the thread, I'll summarise it and bring this to Studio. However the advertisements aren't going anywhere.
    oh but the players are.
    My exact thoughts xD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file