Home English (UK) General Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Debate about the recently added advertisements

Comments

• Poseidon X AngelPoseidon X Angel Moderator Posts: 1,449
    I believe it says you are not allowed to run something that blocks ads and trackers, could be mistaken.
    So please read the TOS.
  • John Mugs (US1)John Mugs (US1) US1 Posts: 19

Hello everyone,

I hope this wall of text doesn't bore you too much 

I will say this again, I am indeed a well above average player and thus this will reflect on my view of this game.
    There is no way to get around that and there doesn't have to be one, we as moderators are asked to report issues we see on the forums, raise concerns we have about the game, and bet the direct link between the players and the developers.

Now not everything that's an issue for some of you is an issue for me.
    I for example will never see an ad in this game because I also spend money on the game, but I have voiced my complaints and concerns about the ads multiple times, we all have.
    I don't have to defend what I do as a moderator, if you feel I am in the wrong you are free to file a report.
    I am doing this work with my best intentions and with the goal of improving this game for all.

I am too not always happy with how certain things in the game work, that's perfectly normal, I don't have to like or support everything the game does. I wouldn't be here if that were to be the case.

@Druids (GB1)

I would also like to make clear I have never told you to leave the game because agree with what you said on the forums. I said it because it seemed like the only logical move forward for someone who appears to be so fed up with the game and the direction it's going.
    Anyone in this world would tell you to stop doing something you don't enjoy.

The reason I said you can't get 60-120 ads an hour is that it's simply not true, there is a maximum amount of ads you can get per hour. (I will not disclose this number, unfortunately, I am not allowed to do this.)

According to this player this limit is set at 60 minutes of ads an hour, this is simply not true and has to be clarified to avoid the spreading of false information.

Furthermore, feel free to make a private chat with me and the community manager if you feel that the following applies to you. You can of course also send me a private message and I would be more than willing to explain my ways and motives to you.

C. What do I do if I’m not happy with the behavior of a mod?

I. If you see a problem in an individual case or are dissatisfied with a moderator's approach, send a PM with your valid criticism to the respective team member (or, if you prefer, to another team member), and of course, we will discuss the problem with you. You can also include the CMs into this kind of messages. Please note that if the topic you would like to raise is a moderation measure performed by the forum team we can only discuss this with you. Please bear in mind that examples should be included so your concern and the situation can be understood fully. However, we do not want a moderation discussion to pull an existing thread away from the topic.

Thanks for letting us know that there is a limit regarding the amount of ads that we can be forced to put up with per hour.  My theoretical limit comment of 60 minutes per hour was, of course, just that, a theoretical upper limit. Apparently, GGE has decided to limit the ads to something less, and I hope it's way less.  

Thanks again.
    John Mugs @ usa 1
    Like I have said, I am not allowed to disclose how many ads you can get an hour.
    Nice dodge.

The question was..........

Wasso (INT3) said:

Do you really believe THAT is a reasonable number?

You can be honest.......

If they wouldn't intervene with the gameplay, no.
    But in the current state I think it's prone to issues like switching to a castle that's being attacked and then getting a 30 second ad.
  • Wasso (INT3)Wasso (INT3) INT3 Posts: 3,332
    Like I have said, I am not allowed to disclose how many ads you can get an hour.
    Nice dodge.

The question was..........

Wasso (INT3) said:

Do you really believe THAT is a reasonable number?

You can be honest.......

If they wouldn't intervene with the gameplay, no.
    But in the current state I think it's prone to issues like switching to a castle that's being attacked and then getting a 30 second ad.
    ...and I could live with ads that didn't block gameplay as well..

Current state: NO WAY.............
    Good night.
    Sleep well.
    I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

I believe it says you are not allowed to run something that blocks ads and trackers, could be mistaken.
    So please read the TOS.
    4.5 It is prohibited to apply measures that hide advertisements. It is of no significance whether advertising is deliberately hidden or can not be displayed in general e.g. by so-called pop-up blockers, text-based browsers, or similar.

Posted it for you.......
    Good night.
    Sleep well.

That's it, thank you.

• JYT (US1)JYT (US1) US1 Posts: 895
    I've played games where the ads were constantly on screen and visible, just smaller and out of the way. I propose moving them to somewhere along the bottom next to the collapsed special offers tab, perhaps. That way, we always see them, but it doesn't drastically hinder gameplay.
    Presently, the way ads are handled completely stops the flow of gameplay, often precisely when players do not want their gameplay stopped (ex. running tightly choreographed trains, setting defense for shorthorns). This is highly unfavorable, and I would strongly recommend making adjustments.

Frankly, it's a bit too similar to the old endless wall of popup offers that GGS would send in our faces every 15 minutes, except now you have to wait some 5-30 seconds before clicking the x button. 
    Although now that I think about it, I probably also spent 5-30 seconds clicking x on popups each time back in their day. What a world.

Although I must say, playing from Puffin with a really tall phone, my gameplay is already getting so scuffed. The free Puffin browser recently started running banner ads along the bottom of my screen, so while playing my current aspect ratio between game width and game height is approaching 3 LOL. I can't even read any of GGS's "Beat back the ads!" banner at this point, but that's what I get for not playing on the intended platform
    Discord: JYT#1574
    JYT (US1) said:
    I've played games where the ads were constantly on screen and visible, just smaller and out of the way. I propose moving them to somewhere along the bottom next to the collapsed special offers tab, perhaps. That way, we always see them, but it doesn't drastically hinder gameplay.
    Presently, the way ads are handled completely stops the flow of gameplay, often precisely when players do not want their gameplay stopped (ex. running tightly choreographed trains, setting defense for shorthorns). This is highly unfavorable, and I would strongly recommend making adjustments.

Frankly, it's a bit too similar to the old endless wall of popup offers that GGS would send in our faces every 15 minutes, except now you have to wait some 5-30 seconds before clicking the x button. 
    Although now that I think about it, I probably also spent 5-30 seconds clicking x on popups each time back in their day. What a world.

Although I must say, playing from Puffin with a really tall phone, my gameplay is already getting so scuffed. The free Puffin browser recently started running banner ads along the bottom of my screen, so while playing my current aspect ratio between game width and game height is approaching 3 LOL. I can't even read any of GGS's "Beat back the ads!" banner at this point, but that's what I get for not playing on the intended platform
    Hmmmm................. I wonder if Puffin would fall under this part of the ToS.  Even though it was touted as an alternate from the Forum itself:

4.4 Users are also prohibited from running the online game (including all individual web pages) with programs other than the internet browser or the client program that has been provided.

Just poking some fun at the ToS..........
    Good night.
    Sleep well.

• lol, still crying about ads... pay £2.49 or install adblock... or both 

just gonna have to accept the ads either way as im sure they're not going anywhere lol

im sure they will be adjusted from feedback
    The annoyance of these ads and their interference with regular gameplay is being looked in to.
  • lol, still crying about ads... pay £2.49 or install adblock... or both 
    Not paying anything, no matter what.  Installing Adblock is against ToS.

Wtf are people waffling about ads for if u dont use adblocker then ur just asking for them...
    After my last hour, I went ahead and installed it.  Already blocked multiple ads..........

I guess the ToS hasnt stopped you lol
    1 Ad every 5 mins that BLOCKS GAMEPLAY is worth "crying" about.  Not "crying" tears. but "Crying" out of the top of the voice that it is WRONG.  Get an incomming with a short horn and get stuck behind an Ad and THEN tell me  how this is no big deal.
    So how many times have you lost an otherwise perfect defense because you got an ad?
    I guess the ToS hasnt stopped you lol
    That was posted before it was pointed out to me.

CheekyBuilder (GB1) said:

So how many times have you lost an otherwise perfect defense because you got an ad?
    Hasn't happened yet.  BUT, on the FIRST DAY the Ads appeared, I was in the midst of a 14 hit in 3 hours situation.  I believe it was on the 5th hit, that I entered my Castle to make adjustments and GOT THE AD.  Fortunately for me it was one with the SKIP AD button, so I was able to dismiss it and only lost 5 - 10 seconds.  You think we should only bring this issue up AFTER we get wiped due to it?  Not the smartest move,  IMO.

Better to sound the alarm BEFORE the fires start, than after from the ashes..........
    Good night.
    Sleep well.

Better to sound the alarm BEFORE the fires start, than after from the ashes..........
    You have done that, quite often now.
    No need to keep pointing it out, we are aware of this and are trying to improve it.
    But I don't see why you have to keep mentioning it if it hasn't happened yet

You have done that, quite often now.
    No need to keep pointing it out, we are aware of this and are trying to improve it.
    But I don't see why you have to keep mentioning it if it hasn't happened yet
    I was responding to a post from Cheeky Builder.  You want me to EDIT what I say from now on?  How about you tell Cheeky to read all my posts first before responding to me so i don't HAVE to mention it again?

As for things not happening YET, I suppose I shouldn't demand the city put a fence up around the power transformers that run at 150KV either.  Just because a 5 year old hasn't died from touching it YET............
    Good night.
    Sleep well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file