We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Pointless Hypotheticals - Militia Men

Hello. Fair warning, long read. This is a series I'd like to start that I'll be calling Pointless Hypotheticals. Solving the problems to pointless and hypothetical issues using math and my minimal understanding of GGE. Some of this may be prone to error, some of it may be perfectly accurate and shock you. All of it will be pointless.

The first one I want to start with is What if you only defended your main castle with Militiamen? This will help answer the question: Are Dwellings and Townhomes worth it? How much does this kind of stupidity cost? What value am I getting out of it? Cheers, and thank you for reading if you do!

The Militia Man:

Base stats for reference. In a normal castle layout, you have 144 standard tiles. I am defining the standard by the size of a Military hospital or dwelling in this case. 1 Large Deco = 1 Standard Tile in today's mathematics. Now, let's assume that you're going to fill your main castle up, as a level 70, with all townhouses - At their max level. A max level townhouse provides 115 Citizens, but with the Research Tree, we can turn citizens into Militia Men. Now, it's not as simple as multiplying 144 by 115 and doing the math that way, no, we have to account for the best setup plausible at 70 if you were going for an ALL MILITIAMEN setup. This is what I've come up with:

In this example, I've divided my castle into 3 sectors. Sector 1: a 6x12 Tile standard area. Sector 2: a 6x8 Tile standard area. And sector 3, a space only large enough to fit 5 standard tiles. You may ask why the layout does not have more space. Well, you cannot delete a Keep, Estate, Research tower, Tavern, Barracks, or Encampment once placed. Most are needed for the tutorial, are literal requirements, or are needed for this example in order to progress. So I arranged them neatly and used the little space left to do the math here.

Sector 1: 6x12 Tiles = 72 Townhouses. | 72 Townhouses = 8280 Militiamen
Sector 2: 6x8 Tiles = 48 Townhouses. | 48 Townhouses = 5520 Militiamen
Sector 3: 5 Tiles = 5 Townhouses. | 5 Townhouses = 575 Militiamen
Research Tower Militiamen bonus (There's a technology that gives a 10% Total Bonus to the Number of Militia in the castle): 10%
Total without bonus: 14,375 Men
10% Bonus applied: 15,813 Men (Rounded up from the .5)

This gives a militia squad in the main castle a base combat strength of 426,951 Melee defense, and 379,512 Ranged defense. That may sound like quite a bit given no food production necessary, but let's evaluate the cost:

125 Max Level Townhomes =? > 5,023,750 - That's right. Over 5 million rubies. I couldn't even calculate the cost of LvL 12 and Factor that in, so it's far more.

Now we have our base metrics. 5 Million rubies for 426k Combat strength. For reference, that is over $5,526.13 (Each ruby valued at 0.0011 Dollars, no sales included). 

My Conclusion:
Is it worth it? No. So what are Townhouses even useful for? Coin production was already proven unnecessary back in 2012 or 2013. This puts Townhomes and Dwellings in an even bigger hole. For that same money, I could purchase Over 5 Elementalist Commanders. Or even max out my outposts and other castles. Thanks and hope you enjoy! In the future, I plan to do more of these.

Goliath @ Asia1 - Elder Maxson @ USA1 

Comments

• TheBigO (ASIA1)TheBigO (ASIA1) Posts: 106ASIA1
    Wrong forum, try "General Discussion"
    TheBigO @ WWW 1
  • Hello. Fair warning, long read. This is a series I'd like to start that I'll be calling Pointless Hypotheticals. Solving the problems to pointless and hypothetical issues using math and my minimal understanding of GGE. Some of this may be prone to error, some of it may be perfectly accurate and shock you. All of it will be pointless.

The first one I want to start with is What if you only defended your main castle with Militiamen? This will help answer the question: Are Dwellings and Townhomes worth it? How much does this kind of stupidity cost? What value am I getting out of it? Cheers, and thank you for reading if you do!

The Militia Man:

Base stats for reference. In a normal castle layout, you have 144 standard tiles. I am defining the standard by the size of a Military hospital or dwelling in this case. 1 Large Deco = 1 Standard Tile in today's mathematics. Now, let's assume that you're going to fill your main castle up, as a level 70, with all townhouses - At their max level. A max level townhouse provides 115 Citizens, but with the Research Tree, we can turn citizens into Militia Men. Now, it's not as simple as multiplying 144 by 115 and doing the math that way, no, we have to account for the best setup plausible at 70 if you were going for an ALL MILITIAMEN setup. This is what I've come up with:

In this example, I've divided my castle into 3 sectors. Sector 1: a 6x12 Tile standard area. Sector 2: a 6x8 Tile standard area. And sector 3, a space only large enough to fit 5 standard tiles. You may ask why the layout does not have more space. Well, you cannot delete a Keep, Estate, Research tower, Tavern, Barracks, or Encampment once placed. Most are needed for the tutorial, are literal requirements, or are needed for this example in order to progress. So I arranged them neatly and used the little space left to do the math here.

Sector 1: 6x12 Tiles = 72 Townhouses. | 72 Townhouses = 8280 Militiamen
    Sector 2: 6x8 Tiles = 48 Townhouses. | 48 Townhouses = 5520 Militiamen
    Sector 3: 5 Tiles = 5 Townhouses. | 5 Townhouses = 575 Militiamen
    Research Tower Militiamen bonus (There's a technology that gives a 10% Total Bonus to the Number of Militia in the castle): 10%
    Total without bonus: 14,375 Men
    10% Bonus applied: 15,813 Men (Rounded up from the .5)

This gives a militia squad in the main castle a base combat strength of 426,951 Melee defense, and 379,512 Ranged defense. That may sound like quite a bit given no food production necessary, but let's evaluate the cost:

125 Max Level Townhomes =? > 5,023,750 - That's right. Over 5 million rubies. I couldn't even calculate the cost of LvL 12 and Factor that in, so it's far more.

Now we have our base metrics. 5 Million rubies for 426k Combat strength. For reference, that is over $5,526.13 (Each ruby valued at 0.0011 Dollars, no sales included). 

My Conclusion:
    Is it worth it? No. So what are Townhouses even useful for? Coin production was already proven unnecessary back in 2012 or 2013. This puts Townhomes and Dwellings in an even bigger hole. For that same money, I could purchase Over 5 Elementalist Commanders. Or even max out my outposts and other castles. Thanks and hope you enjoy! In the future, I plan to do more of these.

Just letting ya know...

No way this is worth it. Why would you make an entire castle when the only benefit is taxes which can be overrided by hitting a few camps. You cant store any troops there either. The only thing it will ever really accomplish is allowing an extra oppurtunity to farm honor bcause lets face it, militia even in large amounts suck and I don't think I'd personally support such a location.

Town Houses give the same anount of citizens as dwellings but take away less public order. I find it extremely unnecessary to flex your wallet by spending a ton of money to save some public order loss when you've already got minus 100k public order (little exaggeration). Aside from sparing yourself a small farction of public order loss there isnt even a point in attempting to save any assuming you come through and try not to make any resource producing buildings.

Also you should never buy Elementalist for 1 million rubies. It comes for 150k rubies when the 85% discount on premium ruby equipment comes about.

Oh yeah and TheBig0 has a good point. Unless some alliances are stupid enough to fight over such outposts resulting in this thread being somewhat relevant. Ask if it could be moved.
  • Azelfian (ASIA1)Azelfian (ASIA1) Posts: 277ASIA1

Just letting ya know...

No way this is worth it. Why would you make an entire castle when the only benefit is taxes which can be overrided by hitting a few camps. You cant store any troops there either. The only thing it will ever really accomplish is allowing an extra oppurtunity to farm honor bcause lets face it, militia even in large amounts suck and I don't think I'd personally support such a location.

Town Houses give the same anount of citizens as dwellings but take away less public order. I find it extremely unnecessary to flex your wallet by spending a ton of money to save some public order loss when you've already got minus 100k public order (little exaggeration). Aside from sparing yourself a small farction of public order loss there isnt even a point in attempting to save any assuming you come through and try not to make any resource producing buildings.

Also you should never buy Elementalist for 1 million rubies. It comes for 150k rubies when the 85% discount on premium ruby equipment comes about.

Oh yeah and TheBig0 has a good point. Unless some alliances are stupid enough to fight over such outposts resulting in this thread being somewhat relevant. Ask if it could be moved.
    Idk if you read my post at all, but every point u made I made. I didn't argue it was worth it. You can just skim the conclusion and see all that. The Elementalist point is alright, but it's done purposefully in that manner to show even at full price it's worth more than the townhomes...

Anybody can move the thread. I didn't know where particularly to put it since It's general purpose, so I put it here. Everything was done on the test server. 

• Good read and I think those saying this isn't worth it are missing the point of "Pointless Hypotheticals." Yes, this is pointless, but it's a fun and interesting read. 

This took a lot of work and effort to put together and I was entertained by it so I look forward to the next iteration.

Having said that, yes, General Discussion is a more appropriate place for this post. :smiley:

• _R11G_ (US1)_R11G_ (US1) Posts: 76US1
    Did you add in the HoL bonus of double militia as well? 

I've thought about this too, never decided to do the math though lol
  • Azelfian (ASIA1)Azelfian (ASIA1) Posts: 277ASIA1
    Did you add in the HoL bonus of double militia as well? 

I've thought about this too, never decided to do the math though lol
    I actually forgot about that as I haven't been 70 in a long time. Might have to fix that as it may prove slightly less useless.

• Muffins 2.0 (ASIA1)Muffins 2.0 (ASIA1) Posts: 2,941ASIA1
    Easy glory hits. lmao
    ] - asia 1 / Second player on power -   - 2.8m power - Oct. 04. 2019 

I'm a ghost, but i'm still here.
     To be continued....

• forestw (AU1)forestw (AU1) Posts: 85AU1
    the militias are good if you have an active alliance that supports you on any attacks.
    they are strong enough to keep away low level pests.
    but otherwise, not worth it. dwellings just arent beneficial
    Senior Officer
    Boo Masters Alliance
    *a division of the DPRK Gaming Club
    For recruitment inquiries, contact Juggernaut or Sam
    For FREE Giveaway Events, message me or OldBags1973
  • Wasso (INT3)Wasso (INT3) Posts: 1,845INT3
    the militias are good if you have an active alliance that supports you on any attacks.
    they are strong enough to keep away low level pests.
    but otherwise, not worth it. dwellings just arent beneficial
    looks like someone has hacked @forestw (AU1)'s account.

That was an intelligent post...…..

Good night.
    Sleep well.
    I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

• JYT (US1)JYT (US1) Posts: 767US1
    15,813 militia ≈ 3k kingsguard defense so if your general strat is to be a thorn in the sides of all players near you a milita army doesn't sound too bad...

Don't research vet troops. Put a stronghold, probably leveled a bit (if not maxed) in all your castles, fill with demons or sami troops (pool together for big hits when you want to take a large chunk out of someone offline).
    Fill your castle with lvl 12 dwellings and slowly swap over to town houses as you collect rubies from regular gameplay (looting, etc), build enough hideouts to keep all your food secure. When you sign off for the night, if you have no bird (because you probably will have no alliance) send excess troops off on a looting mission on some nameless player who quit.
    Set 98-1-1 with 90/90 and fire reduction cast (oo, maybe some relic eq with special effects? dunno what they really have lol). Let your militia army take a bite out of everyone who hits you for free, and slap HoL points into fire reduction and anti destruct or whatever it is.

Tho of course after these modifications I'd imagine that you'd probably have closer to 10-12k militia so it wouldn't be as effective, but with the HoL bonus for additional milita, you could get that number higher still.
    Discord: JYT#1574
    Anything I write is solely reflective of what I believe. Nothing I say should be taken as fact, and I am no one's spokesperson.
Sign In to comment.