We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

HTML5 Blurry Visuals - Information Collecting Thread

13»

Comments

• Imperius (GB1)Imperius (GB1) Posts: 851GB1
    edited 16.04.2019
    Not necessarily a blurry image but using html and upgrading the relic storehouse results in it completely disappearing GGE in a nutshell no wonder folks haven't switched from flash least it's more stable and it'll be obsolete next year
    https://i.gyazo.com/19dae0dbc183d3c86d0eb7da6cd29aec.gif
    [email protected]
    Leader of Wraith
  • Flamanar (US1)Flamanar (US1) Posts: 11US1
    edited 19.04.2019
    Blurry graphics.  My biggest complaint is rough text.  I believe there's a problem involving DPI scaling with HTML5 (which I experience -NO- problems with using Flash, btw).  Using the latest version of Firefox.  Laptop model: 

HP Pavilion dv7t-6c00 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC

Pertinent system information:

Forgot to add:
    resolution: 1600x900 (1080p laptop), 17" screen, 16:9

Comparison of flash/HTML shots (should be obvious which is which):

https://prntscr.com/ndx0o7 (note the banner)

Post edited by Flamanar (US1) on
  • Zenzer (GB1)Zenzer (GB1) Posts: 2,641GB1
    edited 02.05.2019
    I suppose the html5 april update has already been implemented, yes?

If that's the case, then i'd like to point out how many parts of the game are still blurry in html5.

Yes, the game is playable but the flash and the html5 verions are still lightyears apart from each other when it comes to visual quality. 

Here is an example:

First picture is flash, second is html5 where you can clearly see the difference, everything is washed out in html5 but razor sharp in flash. 

The first question i had after i saw this comparison was that maybe this is normal? After all html5 is different from flash.

But then i take a look on other textures within the game. Especially the main castle where everything is razor sharp regardless of which version you play. 

Example:

First picture is flash, second is html5. You barely see any difference at all here in terms of visual quality. Everything is as sharp as it should be. 

Maybe something is wrong with my computer then?
    Even though i highly doubt it's my computer i still go to https://community.goodgamestudios.com/empire/en/discussion/361954/html5-switch-known-issues#latest and double check everything, but as i expected, this didn't improve anything at all. 

What i find amazing is how some parts of the flash version has been implemented 100% perfectly on to the html5 version while many other parts have failed catastrophically. 

Clearly the html5 version should be able to and have the capacity to fully adapt the great visual quality of flash as shown in the examples above but yet here we are. 

Why is this important and why should this be cared for?

Because this is the main game engine/client we are talking about (or whatever it's called, at least i hope you get the idea). Bad features of the game can be ignored and overlooked if you don't like them but this is not the case here.

It disappoints me how the developers doesn't seem to be taking this seriously enough as a games main engine/client is far more important than a couple of new features to make sure it's as great as possible as this is what people will be using to access and play the game. 
    Post edited by Zenzer (GB1) on

No, i don't play on GB1. 

edited 02.05.2019
    Can a moderator or @Crom Cruach please forward what i presented above and give some type of explaination of what's up with the quality of html5, because it's really bad and needs to be adressed. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

• Crom CruachCrom Cruach Posts: 693Community Manager
    Because this is the main game engine/client we are talking about (or whatever it's called, at least i hope you get the idea). Bad features of the game can be ignored and overlooked if you don't like them but this is not the case here.

It disappoints me how the developers doesn't seem to be taking this seriously enough as a games main engine/client is far more important than a couple of new features to make sure it's as great as possible as this is what people will be using to access and play the game. 
    We are taking this very seriously. The thing is that we can't make all the changes overnight. They have to be incrementally built up one after another, especially when it comes to the blurry assets. We do after all have a lot of assets in the game. We have a dedicated team working on the HTML 5 update. They are pouring all their efforts into making our HTML version as good as the Flash version. We have solutions for most of the problems and we are working towards them. Quite often we make a lot of very small changes that still require a lot of effort and yet will only be noticed by a minority of the HTML 5 users albeit a large minority. 

However we don't believe that this should stop us from developing the content of the game at the same time. It is important for us the the game continues to grow and improve its content and so we also have a team dedicated to doing that. They just delivered the Relics feature onto our Beta server and from what I've seen glancing over their shoulders in the office they more fantastic stuff in the pipes! 
    edited 02.05.2019

We are taking this very seriously. The thing is that we can't make all the changes overnight. They have to be incrementally built up one after another, especially when it comes to the blurry assets. We do after all have a lot of assets in the game. We have a dedicated team working on the HTML 5 update. They are pouring all their efforts into making our HTML version as good as the Flash version. We have solutions for most of the problems and we are working towards them. Quite often we make a lot of very small changes that still require a lot of effort and yet will only be noticed by a minority of the HTML 5 users albeit a large minority. 

However we don't believe that this should stop us from developing the content of the game at the same time. It is important for us the the game continues to grow and improve its content and so we also have a team dedicated to doing that. They just delivered the Relics feature onto our Beta server and from what I've seen glancing over their shoulders in the office they more fantastic stuff in the pipes! 

I never included the other departments as a part of the problem, my feedback was specifically pointed towards those who work with and are in charge of html5.

With my example above i wanted to point out how i feelt that too many resources were being put into other less important things when the development of the game client is far more important as that's pretty much one of the main pillars of the game. I never said they should completely stop what they're doing. 

Html5 is first worked on for a very long time and despite the fact it's not ready for a public release they still decide to go out and do it. Along with this decision, they also planned to kill the flash version and replace it with the faulty html one within a short timeframe. Thankfully this was stopped thanks to the outrage from the community.

Just that example above is enough to kill the idea that the development of this html version is being taken seriously. Launching an unfinished product while killing off the finished product which works better than it's successor would have been a huge failure for both GGE and GGS. 

I can't say that holding back the removal of flash solved everything though as regardless of their attempts to save the situation both the game and GGS as a company would take a big hit from this decision anyways. It still confuses me to this day how they can make decisions which leads to the continued downfall of GGS reputation as a successful game developer. 

Right now we are 2 months in after the main release of html5 and the product is still unfinished. Surely you can never release a perfect product, there will always be some issues, but these are big issues we are talking about not small ones which can easily be fixed and corrected. Please also note that what i pointed out aren't the only issues with html5, of course there are more under the hood, i wouldn't write this if it only was something small.

The html5 version should already have been finalized as much as possible before the main release. If the problem was about lack of time and a tight schedule then they'd have to put more resources into it, if they can't do that then they'd have to further delay the launch, otherwise you get what you have now. A big tangled mess which doesn't seem to have an end to it. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

• There is one more thing lacking in HTML version that is present in flash one, the thing is that player can scroll map and castle by moving finger on screen and move, but HTML version don't allow us to use touch screen like that, we can't scroll in HTML view, rather just click via screen.
    I am a high functioning sociopath

• Thorten (US1)Thorten (US1) Posts: 97US1
    HTML  can not view the 'second page' on a spy or battle report when the number of types of troops exceeds page 1

the arrow is there ... to horizontal scroll ... but it does not work 
    Thorten @ usa 1
  • Thorten (US1)Thorten (US1) Posts: 97US1
    can moderators please confirm ( or deny ) that adobe flash version of gge empire will expire in July (when Adobe discontinues FlashPlayer)  as originally you stated some months ago.

Thorten @ usa 1
  • Crom CruachCrom Cruach Posts: 693Community Manager
    Blurry graphics.  My biggest complaint is rough text.  I believe there's a problem involving DPI scaling with HTML5 (which I experience -NO- problems with using Flash, btw).  Using the latest version of Firefox.  Laptop model: 

HP Pavilion dv7t-6c00 CTO Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC

Pertinent system information:

Forgot to add:
    resolution: 1600x900 (1080p laptop), 17" screen, 16:9

Comparison of flash/HTML shots (should be obvious which is which):

https://prntscr.com/ndx0o7 (note the banner)

Sorry for not getting back to you more quickly, I was just reading through the thread today could you try to use your native 1080 resolution and scale of 100%? That should improve the visuals.
  • AD 999 (US1)AD 999 (US1) Posts: 39US1
    edited 10.07.2019
    I got the issue of where i kept seeing parts of one castle of mine and it would not go away, thought it was lag, so refreshed my cache and restarted my comp, turns out it is a glitch for me and I still have the screenshot of it if recommended to give to someone:

Google Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Multiple times

HP Pavillion g7 (g series) laptop

Intel Core I3

Windows 10

1600 x 900 resolution

I tried to get it solved with support, but they did next-to-nothing about it :(
  • I have had this exact problem.
    I use my HP laptop and the operating system is windows. I don't know any of the other info it asks for though
  • I just found my devices specifications!
    Processor: Intel (R) core (TM) i5-4202Y CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.60GHz
    Installed Ram: 4.00 GB
    System type: 64-bit operating system, x64- based processor
    Windows:
    Edition: windows 10 Home
    Version: 1809
    OS build: 17763.615
Sign In to comment.