We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Outer Realm Anonymity

I was playing the Outer Realms earlier today when an idea struck me. What if GGS made Outer Realms anonymous? Meaning that when you go to the Outer Realms, the first time you log in, the game will prompt you for a temporary username unique to that session of the Outer Realms Event.

So, what's the point of anonymity in the Outer Realms?
In my eyes, the existence of the Outer Realms is to do two things.
1) Hand out rewards through a new style of event
2) To offer experiences that may not be possible on your main server.

Let's focus on my second point. If I wanted to play the Outer Realms competitively (Buying rubies, and aiming for top fifty status) and get the most out of my experience. I would want a Metropolis, or a Capital to go with it, (Maybe both) However, I'm not going to get any of those without some competition. That competition could come from any player, or it come from a well established player on my main server (US1)

I'm not meaning to discourage competition, because I'm a firm believer that GGE is as much a PVP game as an event game. My point is, currently being a Legend 56, I'm not very powerful in the grand scheme of US1, and if I got into competition with a top player over an Outer Realm asset, all they would need to do is take out my main account, which is not something I would let happen.

To summarize, I don't feel I can play the Outer Realms competitively without risking my main account. This defeats the purpose of even playing this event. It's like attacking Nomad Camps with the goal of failing. So ultimately, in the Outer Realms, I spend a lot of time away from my main account, but I don't get the full content of the event. I feel that having the option to be the Outer Realms would offer a great solution to this, and allow players to try new things without fear of unjust retribution.

Thanks for reading, please let me know what you think!

The one and only Theoren. Proud Player of GGE US-1

Comments

• PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) Posts: 307GB1
    I can see the point has a sound base BUT equally I value being able to know who I'm playing with for a number of reasons... in no particular order...
    - Fun meeting random people from other alliances on my server and playing with them/having them on chat
    - Recognising friends important (plus the server tag gives me an idea of the language barrier/how hard google translate's going to be!)
    - Keeping your identity maybe stops some people being completely "out of order" in their behavior in game terms. I'm sure within the bands of ToS most of us will have a "What goes on in OR, stays in OR" mentality.
    - Hopefully if you legitimately beat someone and they recognise you - they'll probably have enough respect for you when back on main server..... and if not, well they probably won't be much trouble if you beat them fair and square on OR.

The latter point probably comes with the caveat that your ruby purchasing pattern on both is about the same.... I can see that GGE's vested interest in this would probably come down on that side so I can't see them trial anonymity any time soon (unless OR trials show a marked peak of purchases that suggest spinning it off is good business....)

so, Catch-22, you may need to go all out using your home handle if you ever want anonymity!
  • I can see the point has a sound base BUT equally I value being able to know who I'm playing with for a number of reasons... in no particular order...
    - Fun meeting random people from other alliances on my server and playing with them/having them on chat
    - Recognising friends important (plus the server tag gives me an idea of the language barrier/how hard google translate's going to be!)
    - Keeping your identity maybe stops some people being completely "out of order" in their behavior in game terms. I'm sure within the bands of ToS most of us will have a "What goes on in OR, stays in OR" mentality.
    - Hopefully if you legitimately beat someone and they recognise you - they'll probably have enough respect for you when back on main server..... and if not, well they probably won't be much trouble if you beat them fair and square on OR.

The latter point probably comes with the caveat that your ruby purchasing pattern on both is about the same.... I can see that GGE's vested interest in this would probably come down on that side so I can't see them trial anonymity any time soon (unless OR trials show a marked peak of purchases that suggest spinning it off is good business....)

So, Catch-22, you may need to go all out using your home handle if you ever want anonymity!
    Thanks for the responce, PJH! You have many valid points, and here is my viewpoint on what you had to say.
    First off, It would of course always be at an individual players discretion to disclose their identity. You are welcome to make the names the same, however the catch would be that GGS would have to implement a system that disables you from using someone else's name.

I didn't even think about server tags/language barrier so on further thought, if this were to be implemented (in the farthest corners of my dreams) I would imagine the server tags could be kept.

Lastly, GGS would always know what account is tied to who, otherwise it would be impossible for them to give our main accounts rewards! That being said, the same kind of mentality with rules of fair play would apply, and you can most certainly keep your reputation up by choosing to use your real name.

• I'll throw in another reason, which was the same reason they restricted the Foreigner and B100dcrow events, though the Outer Realms is really another attempt to realize what they were trying to do with Foreign Invasion. That is they want players on different servers to be able to interact and compete, the same way they do on their own servers.

That reason they and to restrict this and would likely not want to anonymize the outer realms server, is something referred to as Moral Hazard. Accountability constrains behavior. This is what  keeps people sportsmanlike. When the Foreign Invasion was full anonymous and more importantly unlimited, everybody was attacked nonstop and just about every castle on every server was permanently burning. GGS responded to this by restricting to a single attack being mirrored across servers and giving out a free fire extinguishing b100 bo%.

I imagine they want players on the Outer Realm Server to actually progress through the game, complete quests, build things and not just spend the entire time there putting out fires on level 3 buildings while desperately bludgeoning mostly empty castles. It just wouldn't be fun.
    neuterable, shameless slaughterer of peasants, collector of princesses and fan of homestuck

α ЯTFM ¿¿¿Want Free $tuff??? Then Go Write Santa a Letter ЯTFM Ω
  • That reason they and to restrict this and would likely not want to anonymize the outer realms server, is something referred to as Moral Hazard. Accountability constrains behavior. This is what  keeps people sportsmanlike. When the Foreign Invasion was full anonymous and more importantly unlimited, everybody was attacked nonstop and just about every castle on every server was permanently burning. GGS responded to this by restricting to a single attack being mirrored across servers and giving out a free fire extinguishing b100 bo%.

I imagine they want players on the Outer Realm Server to actually progress through the game, complete quests, build things and not just spend the entire time there putting out fires on level 3 buildings while desperately bludgeoning mostly empty castles. It just wouldn't be fun.
    Thanks for the Responce, neuterable!

That does make sense. I can't claim to have been around long enough to see the early fazes of bc/fl but I will certainly take your word for it! I never thought the idea of anonymity would make Outer Realms a complete slaughtering ground, but if there is past experience, you can't argue with the facts!

• Zenzer (GB1)Zenzer (GB1) Posts: 2,600GB1
    edited 19.12.2018
    why no just make the entire game anonymous altogether as people seem to like the idea of anonymity
    remove the usernames and replace them with some 10 digit numbers that changes every 10 minutes

afraid of getting your identity exposed? fear no more!

Bildresultat fr anonymity gif

No, i don't play on GB1. 

the biggest reason why not to....

bragging rights....

whether you want to come top 50 through spending a bunch of cash and playing competitively or just want to carry on bully tactics through all realms, well : your name and "recognisability" is going to be important to you so you ain't going to want to be randomised or anonnomised in a way your identity is lost or some other fool looks like they done it :)

...but at end of it it will come down to economics and i think that gge will come down to notion that people will spend more rubies if the "identity" is maintained
  • why no just make the entire game anonymous altogether as people seem to like the idea of anonymity
    remove the usernames and replace them with some 10 digit numbers that changes every 10 minutes

I believe you are missing the point of this thread. What you are suggesting (even meant as mockery) is ridiculous, and makes me wonder how many of those 2,935 posts actually had the notion of a well thought idea behind them, instead of downgrading somebody else's in a rude fashion.

edited 20.12.2018
    why no just make the entire game anonymous altogether as people seem to like the idea of anonymity

I believe you are missing the point of this thread. What you are suggesting (even meant as mockery) is ridiculous, and makes me wonder how many of those 2,935 posts actually had the notion of a well thought idea behind them, instead of downgrading somebody else's in a rude fashion.

The idea of anonymity in the outer realms is ridiculous indeed. 
    Out of so many players, how many of these do you think will be from your server? I'd say maybe 1/30, which means that the chances of you getting into trouble with a US1 player are very low. 

You could even argue that the outer realms isn't even a pvp event to begin with. All you do is sitting there, building your castles to score points and attacking those NPC towers, attacking other players is completely pointless unless you are trying for top 1 or top 50.

Which means that the only way for you to actually get into any trouble is if you willingly choose to go out there and slam other players castles, if they are from your own server or from a different one. I personally do not attack people from my own server, because 1. Why would that even be necessary?  2. Why attack someone from my own server when i can attack some random guy from the spanish server instead? It's not like that spanish server player is going to create an account on INT2, buy 1 million rubies and burn me day and night because of 1 attack? It sounds just as crazy as the chances of something like that to even happen to begin with.

What i'm trying to say, is that if you are seeking for trouble, then you are going to get into trouble. Buy if you are not seeking for trouble (which i know you probably aren't because of this forum post you made) there is absolutely zero reason to worry about getting into any. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

edited 20.12.2018
    "It's not like that spanish server player is going to create an account on INT2, buy 1 million rubies and burn me day and night because of 1 attack? It sounds just as crazy as the chances of something like that to even happen to begin with."
    In a way, that's exactly the point the OP was making.... You try to get competitive and maybe end up rubbing the #1 ruby psycho from another server who decides its vendetta time..... (so maybe leave IT1 and RU1 alone. :)  ... the later though are great with their pvp)

I'd say the chance is just the same as doing it on your own server (though its a double blind so luck is the only variable) so i can't see either player or game owner needs to change anything!

PvP is a gamble and like all of its ilk, if you can't afford to lose - don't play, whatever you think the odds are :)

...but speaking of OR... i know you don't need to PvP to get a middling reward ... but where i am its the wild west.... everyone is hitting everything... definitely one 'server' where a Christmas truce is unlikely!!!!
    Post edited by PJH_ (GB1) on
  • David Noble (US1)David Noble (US1) Posts: 2,552
    edited 20.12.2018
    Some alliances are not smart enough to turn off "auto war" as well in the event. An alliance can also hit other alliances without using that. It was meant to be a pvp event after all at least to begin with, but that does not mean an alliance has to be at war with every alliance that is hit including top alliances. Trust me when I say this that outposts for example may be more okay to hit in Outer Realms than on the main server which the only good reasons for going to war in the first place in the event are for both sides to actually hit one another that players who are at war with another, a top alliance expecting tribute for ending war (like KON from the US1 server for example), or an attempted theft of property.
    David Noble @ usa 1
  • why no just make the entire game anonymous altogether as people seem to like the idea of anonymity

The idea of anonymity in the outer realms is ridiculous indeed. 
    Out of so many players, how many of these do you think will be from your server? I'd say maybe 1/30, which means that the chances of you getting into trouble with a US1 player are very low. 

You could even argue that the outer realms isn't even a pvp event to begin with. All you do is sitting there, building your castles to score points and attacking those NPC towers, attacking other players is completely pointless unless you are trying for top 1 or top 50.

Which means that the only way for you to actually get into any trouble is if you willingly choose to go out there and slam other players castles, if they are from your own server or from a different one. I personally do not attack people from my own server, because 1. Why would that even be necessary?  2. Why attack someone from my own server when i can attack some random guy from the spanish server instead? It's not like that spanish server player is going to create an account on INT2, buy 1 million rubies and burn me day and night because of 1 attack? It sounds just as crazy as the chances of something like that to even happen to begin with.

What i'm trying to say, is that if you are seeking for trouble, then you are going to get into trouble. Buy if you are not seeking for trouble (which i know you probably aren't because of this forum post you made) there is absolutely zero reason to worry about getting into any. 
    Thank you for explaining, @Zenzer. I also apologize for losing my temper. I see you guys are in fact, correct about anonymity not people introduced to the Outer Realms. Is it possible for me to close this thread now that my thoughts have been answered?

• Batten (GB1)Batten (GB1) Posts: 1,120GB1
    Zenzer is wrong Theoren you are right.  Based on actual experience of Outer Realms your suggestion is a sensible one and is something GGE should consider.  It would help lower level players hitting higher level players to give a degree of anonymity.   

One of the "top players" from GB1 who sits currently in the first iteration didn't like losing to or being hit successfully in Outer Realms and threw his toys out the pram and hit the players back on the GB1 Server with what were generally considered disproportionate attacks given the level differences.  There was a rule in GB1 in the past with regard to Berimond that said what happened in Berimond stayed in Berimond which players by and large respected.  Sadly those days are behind us in terms of GB1 at least.  GB1 players are as the recent suspensions prove - and it pains me to say it and it's deeply embarassing given British cultural expectations -  consistent cheats and chancers.  Our server is consistently ranked between 15th and 22nd in interserver events and our top players split their time across multiple accounts on our server and other servers.  Given the endemic multi-accounting and password sharing you have on GB1 most of the time you have absolutely no idea as to who is playing the account you are hitting, accounts have been stolen from original players, sabotaged and brought back from the dead on a depressing regular basis.  The is little trust now within or across alliances and the corruption and collusion has undermined fatally the competitiveness of GB1 players.  That the top GB1 player is Last Orders at 50 is fittingly appropriate.  GB1 players have for a long time ignored the terms and conditions and shared understandings developed over time between older players whenever it suits them and their lack of real performance in environment that allow less scope for abuse or "marginal gains" highlights the level of their true strength.  Where has all that cheating and mock cleverness got them a server best of 50th place great well done ...

Zenzer point that Outer Realms isn't about PVP is also way off the mark as someone who played last time.  I undertook more PVP than I had done in the previous three years in my main server is three hours in Outer Realms.  To suggest that JLO Best, Marius and the vast majority of players weren't attacking with a much greater frequency than we would do is astonishing.  To win the only way to get players scores down is to hit and burn them repeatedly which is what I and other players did to gain a strategic advantage.  

My advice if you want to be successful don't listen to GB1 players or the top GB alliances they are at best an embarrassment at worse liars and cheats.  

Batten @ en 1
    edited 21.12.2018

that Outer Realms isn't about PVP is also way off the mark as someone who played last time.  I undertook more PVP than I had done in the previous three years in my main server is three hours in Outer Realms.  To suggest that JLO Best, Marius and the vast majority of players weren't attacking with a much greater frequency than we would do is astonishing.  To win the only way to get players scores down is to hit and burn them repeatedly which is what I and other players did to gain a strategic advantage.  

The event itself is just based on how much you can build and upgrade things. Participation in pvp is optional and not required in order to place in the event. For someone who placed among the top players (i remember that you were one of them in the last round) i think it's expected to be dragged into a lot of pvp situations since you'll attract a lot more attention from other players than if you were in let's say the top 1000s which in this case no one will really care about it. 

If you are not in the centre of attention then anonymity is pointless unless you are willingly going out there and hunting down the top players of your own server, in that way i can see the use for it. But doing that doesn't make much sense, especially if they don't oppose any real threat towards you there. 

I also do not see much difference from being a top player in outer realms and being a top player in lets say the LTPE event or a foreign event. Just as with the outer realms, being in top of these events will also make you attract a lot of attention. Should we enable anonymity for these events as well? I know the nomads and the samurais have already done this and there has been a lot of mixed feedback and opinions regarding that. While anonymity isn't necessarily a bad thing, it shouldn't be the solution for everything. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

• Batten (GB1)Batten (GB1) Posts: 1,120GB1
    I placed third and had I been prepared to spend several thousand on thorn dancers I had a shot to win, I felt that was an excessive investment and so stopped five days out as I didn't feel that ending was in the spirit of what had gone before and I felt it unbalanced what had been previously been good tactical and strategic contest.  I benefitted from taking and holding a metro across the duration of the event and I took and lost and took again a lot of RV's as I got to all realms early on.  I took a huge number of storm islands as well.  I fought repeatedly over kings towers and capitals.  At the end of the event I took a lot of attacks from players of all levels so I would consider it to be true PVP as it was active players hitting active players not the usual top alliance players hitting inactive players in the middle of the night and viewing it as success and an example of PVP or the usual short and irrelevant modern one wave wars.  PVP in it's pure form really only exists in outer realms now.  

A lot of players hit everything around them and kept hitting to ensure they knock down and kept down any players around them never developed enough to be a threat.  Interestingly given the discussions from US server they did a lot less of this than the top European and South American players who were brutal.  

Sad thing is I ranked somewhere in the four hundreds or possibly lower on GB1 server so it highlights just how badly top players perform under pressure if they can't even beat the mark I set.  
    Batten @ en 1
  • @Zenzer (GB1)
    I have to disagree with how you keep saying that the Outer Realms is for building things up. Part of my initial statement was that it was in fact supposed to supply experiences that would be impossible in the main server.

Zenzer, you mentioned the Outer Realms being GGS way of realizing what they wanted to with foreign lords, however I have to disagree with that also. The Foreign Lords is about being able to PVP with "Real players" from other servers. Therefor, you contradict yourself in comparing the Outer Realms to Foreign Lords, and saying it's about just building.

edited 23.12.2018
    @Zenzer (GB1)
    I have to disagree with how you keep saying that the Outer Realms is for building things up. 
    I have never said that outer realms is just for building things up. What i have been saying is that all you need to do in order to place in the event is to build and upgrade your castles because that is how you get points. Pvp is of course also a part of outer realms but it is not needed in order to place in the event and earn rewards since you cannot get any points from it. 

Zenzer, you mentioned the Outer Realms being GGS way of realizing what they wanted to with foreign lords, however I have to disagree with that also. The Foreign Lords is about being able to PVP with "Real players" from other servers. Therefor, you contradict yourself in comparing the Outer Realms to Foreign Lords, and saying it's about just building.

Same thing here as with the first part. I have never said this as well. Please go back and re-read my post. 

This is what i said quoted from my previous post. 

"I also do not see much difference from being a top player in outer realms and being a top player in lets say the LTPE event or a foreign event. Just as with the outer realms, being in top of these events will also make you attract a lot of attention. Should we enable anonymity for these events as well? I know the nomads and the samurais have already done this and there has been a lot of mixed feedback and opinions regarding that. While anonymity isn't necessarily a bad thing, it shouldn't be the solution for everything. "

Post edited by Zenzer (GB1) on

No, i don't play on GB1. 

• @Zenzer (GB1)
    If you didn't use my lack of a quotation to edit your post, then I apologize for forgetting your writing. I stand by the thought that if you are serious about being successful/one of the top players in the Outer Realms (which is what I designed this thread about), you need PVP. Why is that? Because, you don't get points for buildings that are on fire. If your competing for the top spots, light up your competitors and they'll fall behind.

• i have mixed feedback, I think maybe while that's a good idea, make it so the username still contains the .(server) on the end... and that sounds fine to me, no opposition from my kingdom.
    I change my signature too often...
  • i have mixed feedback, I think maybe while that's a good idea, make it so the username still contains the .(server) on the end... and that sounds fine to me, no opposition from my kingdom.
    I totally agree that the server suffix tag should be included.

Sign In to comment.