Home English (UK) Update Questions & Feedback

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Discussion Thread: The Outer Realms - First official run!

Comments

• Batten (GB1)Batten (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,104
    Given the number of players Dan you could pop in at the last and pick up the rewards relatively easily for little effort though clearly others would have the same thought.  My view would be is it's worth doing just to get a feel for the event.  

In terms of your point Phil you could realistically pop in at the beginning and fill your castles with 60 Thorn Dancers to give you 27,000 Might points and accrue enough points to beat most players.  What is interesting is that they would burn as decos burn.  So you would also need to have a castle that was sufficiently developed to defend them.  Now with coin troops if you have a lot of rubies it wouldn't be that difficult as you can buy the rubies to buy the coins from the merchant to buy a limitless stream of troops.  So basically any ruby player with enough money could with little or no development of buildings other than buying Thorn dancers, moats, walls and towers put up a score good enough to win.  And given you can buy equipment sets and comms, gems and resources from trader to fast build you don't really need to hit towers either.  

The approach at the beginning was what I recognise as the coherent relationship between development and performance with players who hit more towers looting more and increasing chance of getting stronger equipment doing better.  This changed at the point bought sets came in and the offers gradually became more and more intrusive and had a greater and greater effect until we've reached the point where realistically they have probably altered the result of player positions and alliance positions significantly to the benefit of some players and alliances and to the detriment of others.  It has damaged the integrity of the process and certainly seems a shame.  I preferred the beginning portion which rewarded skill, tactics and understanding of game mechanics.  The last bit has just been a bit of a mess to be honest. The more involved GGE become in trying to influence the process or just to make more sales the worse the playing experience becomes and the less legitimate the results of the event are.  It feels like the developers who have done a good job are forced to step back whilst the sales force step forward.  

I felt originally like I'd done a good job to get to the position I was in where I had a chance of winning still up to maybe two, three days ago.  With all the offers and interventions I really feel it's lessened the achievement and the experience.  It causes you to question whether the result your seeing is reflective of your actual ability or it's artificially adjusted.  I certainly think there will now be a lot of resource players an awful lot further down in the standings than their play deserves.  That is a shame because they deserve better given how well they've lived with bigger spenders to this point.  

I have really enjoyed it but if the tail end is what I remember and the last few days is how its going to be managed as an explicit and in your face sales and marketing exercise not sure I would return to play again.  The relationship between effort, skill, execution and fair reward rather than fixed result is important from my perspective.  I don't need help and I like it to be difficult it's just too easy now and will be doubtless be even easier by the end, I preferred the challenge.  I wouldn't miss being able to buy success it was more fun to play the resource way and I will probably try that if I play again because being successful without spending is clearly going to be a much greater test of skill and game ability.  
    Batten @ en 1
  • Philt123 (GB1)Philt123 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,839
    Thanks for the feedback, its been really useful to hear  your thoughts.  Its actually been better feedback than i expected, from the outside looking in I thought it would be simply a throw ruby at it event, but clearly it wasnt at least not at the beginning which is good.  

Philt123 @ en 1
    I think it's a shame more of the players playing haven't commented about their experiences.  That would have given a much broader perspective at different levels of the action.  Not sure in general terms why more players aren't commenting on the forum generally.  

I overextended to go for first and have been punished last few days. 

You definitely learn a bit about other servers.  For example big war is happening on Czech server where the following alliances are at the top Matrix, Old school, Legie odpadlíků, Rytíři, Bojove, HBW.
    Batten @ en 1
  • Looks like i've secured a top 50k reward with 2 days left - was a bit of a grind and had to remind myself it was ok to use up skips to gain might points ( PS bought 0 rubies )

- looks like a lot of players gained their points early and have sat on their laurels just gaining daily points - but finding these players has given me a lot of easyish targets !

- scoring wise it needs tweeking and ruby purchases need to be at a standard cost - i.e the same value as romania and brazil can get twice the ammout that we can !
    dandelion1958 @ en 1

Am still playing 8 years on ! - hi lvl 800 on new yrs eve (2017/18) !

Leading the Targaryens - PS interested in joining - PM any officer in Game :-)
    taking a more relaxed role:-)
    PS in top200 on uk 1 never botted or used a VPN - that's why it took 5 yrs to get to leg 800
    In terms of changes I'd make I think the early part of the event was significantly more fun from a players perspective so I'd be focused from a design point of view on protecting that.  I'd recommend the following:

1.  14 day run covering three weekends with a Saturday start which allows more players to get on and get set with two days playing time.  22 days was too long and has too great an impact on players main account meaning a lot of top players simply didn't front up which made it less satisfying as they couldn't be beaten.  

2.  Allow tools to be bought using coins.  Denying resource players this option significantly disadvantaged them and imbalanced that section of the game.  It meant some players as the event progressed became prematurely unhittable which made the event unbalanced.  

3.  Take out the Thorn Dancers as they offer dispropotionately high PO and are out of reach for vast majority of players.  Offer them as spot prizes for specific individual or alliance achievements maybe instead to increase or retain insensity of play or spend to achieve them.  

4.  Don't make equipment sets available to all players regardless of level let players earn them.  It made all the work getting towers up in the early part of the event pointless and nobody is going to bother with that reducing earned income from tower hits and switching focus to player hits which will slow development of vast majority of players to a crawl whilst a few players prosper making the building element redundant relative to the glory scoring.   

5.  Don't introduce higher powered attacking  troops make players earn them or if you have to introduce them out of the game sequence limit the number of troops we can have each day that way it requires a level of skill to use them creatively.

6.  Don't assume players want instant gratification and for everything to be easy if we complain about it being too hard ignore us and make it harder it's meant to be a challenge for the best players from across all the servers not a event that provides handouts to players too lazy to put in the effort necessary to be successful.  Getting to level 60 level 70 was hard and took years I understand why it was speeded up but nobody should realisitcally be making level 70 and that's a good thing.  

7.  Don't bottle it and throw out massive offers be brave and stick to your original design it was a better playing experience and reminded us of what the game was really about before the troop offers hero's and free XP.  Value skill, strategy and technique don't devalue it.  

8.  If you really need players to progress then introduce set progression points every two to three days where all castles evolve and tell us that will happen, rather than handed huge advantages to some alliances and some players.  Move us all on ten levels every three or four days to represent evolution.  Some players and alliances will be better at level 10 than at level 50 but at least you won't have such a huge disparity in castle development.  You tried to address that through offers like you do in the main game and it just doesn't work it ruins the integrity and flow of an event and a lot of players just can't respond to it drift and quit.  The idea is to keep people involve for as long as possible not create a landscape full of dead accounts and ghosts.  Offers create imbalance parity creates competition so the challenge I'd put to you is how do you retain parity rather than through intervention creating greater disparity.  

9.  Give rewards for alliances they worked hard and deserve to be recognised.

10.  Shorten Storm so it's weekly.   

11. Consider weekly rewards for top ranked players and alliances to encourage more intense competition.  

12.  Make the event cheaper.  It was really really expensive to try and compete and to keep track of spend in line with spending on main account also.  I lost track badly and it compromised my event at the end.  My fault but everything cost more it felt like and we are used to things costing a certain amount so easy to misjudge it.  

13.  Support is practically impossible so maybe consider how that can be brought into the game.  

14.  Think about alliance levels and alliance boosts as well as cost of adding alliance members few alliances got past 17 members and were disadvantaged facing alliance with over 30 members.  That wasn't a huge issue last time but some of the bigger alliances who didn't play this time may play in future and they are unlikely to have the issues coordinating that a lot of alliances did this time.  

15.  Don't feel you have to help us out if it is a war game then we need to live or die by our own swords.

16.  Thank you it's been a blast and I've on balance enjoyed it.  
    Batten @ en 1
  • Ama C (US1)Ama C (US1) US1 Posts: 20
    I can't get back to my original login browser.  There is something wrong with the way GGE has set this Outer Realms up.  I want to be able to use my original browser and not this make-shift thing that isn't even secure.  I have written to Support without a decent reply (which is usual).  AND, GGE always wants prntScr of everything.  For heaven sake, just get it right or admit you don't know what you're doing.
    Ama C @ usa 1
  • amr5 (US1)amr5 (US1) US1 Posts: 204
    The event gets kind of tiring and repetitive especially when it lasts for so long.
    I've noticed that many of the people who went hard in the beginning are now losing interest and not doing much anymore, i can say that i am one of those people.

All you do is farming, farming, building, farming and more building. We already have the "main world" for such things, we don't need two of them. The pvp battles are all just low level player battles and completely uninteresting. Progression is too slow unless you are one of those few who have too much money in the pockets. 

Outer realms could really need a redesign to make it more unique, interesting and tempting to play. 

I predict that the next round of the outer realms will become a disaster in terms of participation and interest, looking at how things are the way they are now. 

i would like it be big TOURNAMENT  of GLORY  like old one between servers and we be able to come with our MAIN  castles and accounts thats will be so cool + gge will get alot of rubies too lol , also they need to change rewards and make many rewards it is event for almost 1 month not 3 days 

عمرو الحديدى 
  • Aaron. V (SKN1)Aaron. V (SKN1) SKN1 Posts: 11
    Some of my thoughts about The Outer Realms.

This event was boring from my perspective although I'm going to get top 1000 rewards from this event. That was much better than what I excepted, without using money. I managed to get to level 23 during this event.

The whole event was only attacking other players to get some wood and stone and then build some buildings. No diplomacy or anything special happened. Alliances were just some 15 players alliances and supporting other alliance members was impossible.

Attacks lighted only a few buildings to fire. There was needed no strategy in attacking: only attack with some macemans and crossbowmans + some ladders and battering rams. When I lost all of my soldiers, I just recruited more easily in few hours. Not very exciting.

Because this was only a temporary account there were also nothing that I could lose. I think in pvp there need to be chance to lose something also alongside rewards and benefits.

Therefore I'm not going to use my time to this event unless there will be significant rework or something.

Some update ideas:
    - I don't want to play level 20 account. I know that I could have pushed even to level 30 account but that makes no difference to gameplay. I would like that in this kind of global event our progress in normal server would have some impact to our account. Best thing would be that somehow our real accounts would be transferred to the new server.

- The event needs WAR. War between alliances, servers or something. Right now game was like free for all. (Top alliances maybe were able to some war but even that is downgrade comparing to normal wars and pvp in normal game.) I think Good war event would be like the old Berimond where were two sides and people were really able to capture other players bases and eventually throw them out of the event. That is what I want but maybe transfer our castles to the battlefield instead of some camps where f2p can't really do much.

- In addition to last paragraph I would like to have a big war maybe a few times a year where all servers would make two even empires. Players would be able to capture enemy empire's land and increase own resource production etc. and destroy enemies' castles for good. Thus losers would be driven off from the event and winner empire's members would get rich rewards. (Losers get nothing that people really do their best to win.) I won't continue because it would be only waste of my time because that kind of event will never come (unless gge can get big money from it) because programming would cost too much.

- Lastly if there will be no updates to this The Outer Realms event to make pvp great again, we just need to remove fair play rules completely from this game and do some pvp in our servers. That would be the easiest way to get some action into the game.

PS. This message took many minutes from my time because I'm bad in English.
  • event has ended. my rank was between 7k and 8k with 3 hours left. at what time may I expect the rewards listed for being in the top 10k be deposited to my account?
    john32174v @ usa 1
  • bernhardt (US1)bernhardt (US1) US1 Posts: 978
    @Batten (GB1)

I appreciated your thoughts as things progressed.  I didn't comment until now for two reasons:  Your earlier thoughts pretty much matched my thoughts as I reached those points, and I had decided to not comment until the whole thing had run.  As a resource player, who is quite busy in rl atm I haven't spent as much time playing my main account, or as much time/effort in the outer realms as would have when not busy.  I still got to lvl 24, which while not very high was still better than at least 90% of the castles I checked out.

My thoughts:

1)Do not award the daily points until the event has run for 24 hrs.  That way all time zones will have had a chance to play during their prime playing times, what ever they might be for any given player.  Awarding the first day's points after 12 hours(or so) is unfair to those who have not had a chance to play in their prime playing time of a day.

2)Cap build times for all buildings at an hour, maybe 2.  

3)cap rb cool downs to 30 min for all levels.

4)Make EVERYTHING AVAILABLE VIA COINS.  Equipment, time skips, alliance upgrades, tools.  Everything.

5)Have a fixed ruby to coin conversion, as well as a fixed ruby cost for all players worldwide regardless of location.  Got to have the fixed ruby conversion because otherwise GGE could just change the ruby to coin conversion rate depending on location, while making all rubies cost the same.

6)If not already programmed, make the friend list I made this go around, available the next go around.  Most people were just getting to know the people they met from other servers.

7)Tell us on our main account how we did ranking wise IMMEDIATELY after the end of the event.  Right now given the GGE track record, many are thinking that there is some ranking manipulation going on...

• Mammaconda (SKN1)Mammaconda (SKN1) SKN1 Posts: 13
    Where are the rewards??????
    Mammaconda @ skn 1
  • monty242 (GB1)monty242 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 39
    try changing the server in the log in screen - I managed to find the first trial one - still not found where the new actual one is hiding.

what happened to the rewards for taking part in the other realm event..... Nothing received yet. not worth starting from scatch again for nothing!!!!
    monty242 @ en 1
  • Where are the rewards??????
    Yeah, just wondering when will I receive them? Today? in a couple of days? next week? 

Thx :smile:
  • Detroit (NL1)Detroit (NL1) NL1 Posts: 1
    weken spelen om level 24 te bereiken ; waarom ? Wat is de beloning hiervoor.
  • sarah1 (INT2)sarah1 (INT2) INT2 Posts: 123
    Guys 10 days wwiting time max i believe ;)
    sarah1 @ 7
    Rewards arrive from tomorrow morning I believe
    Batten @ en 1
  • weken spelen om level 24 te bereiken ; waarom ? Wat is de beloning hiervoor.
    lo I only payed for 5/6 days at the end and got to lvl 19 easily - main account suffered while builds were quick but once longer build times could set robber attacks or PvP and builds then log and return later !

dandelion1958 @ en 1

Am still playing 8 years on ! - hi lvl 800 on new yrs eve (2017/18) !

Leading the Targaryens - PS interested in joining - PM any officer in Game :-)
    taking a more relaxed role:-)
    PS in top200 on uk 1 never botted or used a VPN - that's why it took 5 yrs to get to leg 800
  • Found the outer realms really boring . At least if you want to try something like this then iron out all the bugs beforehand . Would of been great if towers just reset right away even if you made travel time longer like green berimond . I for one will not be wasting my down time by entering this comp again . Seems to me only players progressing were the ones with their parents credit cards
  • amr5 (US1)amr5 (US1) US1 Posts: 204
    Found the outer realms really boring . At least if you want to try something like this then iron out all the bugs beforehand . Would of been great if towers just reset right away even if you made travel time longer like green berimond . I for one will not be wasting my down time by entering this comp again . Seems to me only players progressing were the ones with their parents credit cards
    very true , so next time i may be will do it in last 5 days just to get 100 points it is stupid event 

عمرو الحديدى 
  • PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) GB1 Posts: 352
    Take up was really poor though some rubies were obviously spent by rather a lot of keen players who did really well to get to legendary levels and climbing : dozens of them - makes me think of new accounts in a different light now....

I Suppose its whether they spent enough for gge to justify running it again : poor take up + seems like a lot of extra work for them, guessing it won't have made any significant contribution to overheads let alone a profit.
Sign In to comment.