We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Why Players Use Bots

Players resort to using bots, when game logic and technology fails.

This thread is not about whether using bots is justified, or if players who use them should be considered “cheaters”. This thread is about GGE taking an inventory of their game, and understanding WHY bots are used.

Programmers who understand the theory of why players use bots, are also the authors of bots. Their insight into the minds and emotional compass of gamers allows them to exploit failed games and turn them into money making machines for their bot programs.

Bots have been around since online games first hit the internet. And here is the theory of “why”:

THE GAME IS A CLICK FEST
When a user must repeatedly perform the same click actions over and over again, like a robot, to complete a task, that screams for a bot or macro.

THE GAME IS REPETITIOUS
When users encounter game play that can be calculated and played in the same manner day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year, that screams for a bot or macro.

THE GAME STAGNATES IN OLD CONTENT
Users are promised new content but the publisher fails to deliver fresh content to the game. This supports boredom and latency in game playing. This screams for bots to take over the user’s game play, because content is no longer challenging or vigorous.

THE GAME USES TIME COMMITMENTS TO PROGRESS
When the same tasks are exponentially increased over time resulting in greater rewards than players with limited time to progress, this screams for a bot or macro.

THE GAME’S AGE SHOWS LAYERS OF BUGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN FIXED
The failure to clean up bugs in a legacy game, promotes a lack of respect for the game, the publisher, and it’s employees. That screams for bot programmers to take advantage of failed code and exploit the game.

So, my challenge to GGE is for you to reflect on your game, and ask yourself… do the above points describe our game? Could that be the reason why bots have taken over our game? Our player base?

Thank you for your time and feel free to comment.

LadyWolfe @ usa 1.

Comments

• Excellent post and spot on with every point. The game is in trouble, player's valid concerns are ignored or responded to with promises of new content that never comes or is cloned from an existing one and bugs/glitches that prevent even running the events they do have. A game you can't play, hmmm, that's a new concept, not one that is catching on I think. THIS, is where the true issues are, THIS is why the game is dying.

Nikki5853 @ usa 1
  • LadyWolfe (US1)LadyWolfe (US1) Posts: 100US1
    Excellent suggestions Hiding! I hope more players step up to this thread and offer their suggestions as well. Perhaps the banning can be a PRODUCTIVE community effort to sort out the priorities GGE could use as a road-map.

Thank you for your remarks and feedback.
    LadyWolfe @ usa 1.

• Hidingfromyou (US1)Hidingfromyou (US1) Posts: 655US1
    edited 25.04.2017
    Excellent suggestions Hiding! I hope more players step up to this thread and offer their suggestions as well. Perhaps the banning can be a PRODUCTIVE community effort to sort out the priorities GGE could use as a road-map.

Thank you for your remarks and feedback.
    Alternatively, instead of waiting on a delete request, one could just use a bot over and over, mwahahahahahaa
    Hidingfromyou @ usa 1
  • OxO (AU1)OxO (AU1) Posts: 962
    Spot on. GGE needs to get rid of the tedium - in the same way they vastly improved recruiting, they need to do that for everything. For:

- hospitals should have the option to exclude ruby soldiers
    - consider sticking a "you're under attack!" alarm with sound that's separate from the music button everyone turns off
    10/10 would pay roobs for an attack alarm
    It's going to be a tierd system, depending on how much a player pays. For example:

1. Gold cost lvl 1: just the regular horn
    2. Gold cost lvl 2: the regular horn flashes
    3. Gold cost lvl 3: a very soft musical note accompanies the horn
    4. Ruby cost lvl 1: players with full volume can hear a slight ringing tone in their horns
    5. Ruby cost lvl 2: players will be able to turn their alarm volume up to halfway
    6. Ruby cost lvl 3: Full alert alarm - awoooga awoooga!!! - and when players click on the horn, it will immediately bring them to the attack menu and add +10 melee and ranged power to the defenders, plus 100% extra militia.
    100% extra militia is useless with no dwellings ;-)

• OxO (AU1)OxO (AU1) Posts: 962
    Spot on. GGE needs to get rid of the tedium - in the same way they vastly improved recruiting, they need to do that for everything. For:

- hospitals should have the option to exclude ruby soldiers
    - consider sticking a "you're under attack!" alarm with sound that's separate from the music button everyone turns off
    10/10 would pay roobs for an attack alarm
    It's going to be a tierd system, depending on how much a player pays. For example:

1. Gold cost lvl 1: just the regular horn
    2. Gold cost lvl 2: the regular horn flashes
    3. Gold cost lvl 3: a very soft musical note accompanies the horn
    4. Ruby cost lvl 1: players with full volume can hear a slight ringing tone in their horns
    5. Ruby cost lvl 2: players will be able to turn their alarm volume up to halfway
    6. Ruby cost lvl 3: Full alert alarm - awoooga awoooga!!! - and when players click on the horn, it will immediately bring them to the attack menu and add +10 melee and ranged power to the defenders, plus 100% extra militia.
    And I don't think changes to the horn are needed, maybe possibly an alarm for when you're under attack but that's it

• detedudu (INT2)detedudu (INT2) Posts: 353
    edited 26.04.2017
    What about making more space for the pact's there should be 10/10  not 5/5, why the war has free space and pacts only 5, in my server we have many powerfull alliances, and we have many familyes and academyes, new players attack every time and break the "auto-war" is just stupid with 5 space on pacts. And yes i agree with the idea to see all your food in all castle's and op's.. from main. They can do with the recruitment too, from the main to recruit your soliders, more easy .. 

I agree with you and i support all this, especially about the auto-war that must be removed from the game, it's a complete waste of time and makes no sense when you're actually thinking about it
  • David Noble (US1)David Noble (US1) Posts: 2,552
    edited 26.04.2017
    Players resort to using bots, when game logic and technology fails.

This thread is not about whether using bots is justified, or if players who use them should be considered “cheaters”. This thread is about GGE taking an inventory of their game, and understanding WHY bots are used.

Programmers who understand the theory of why players use bots, are also the authors of bots. Their insight into the minds and emotional compass of gamers allows them to exploit failed games and turn them into money making machines for their bot programs.

Bots have been around since online games first hit the internet. And here is the theory of “why”:

THE GAME IS A CLICK FEST
    When a user must repeatedly perform the same click actions over and over again, like a robot, to complete a task, that screams for a bot or macro.

THE GAME IS REPETITIOUS
    When users encounter game play that can be calculated and played in the same manner day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year, that screams for a bot or macro.

THE GAME STAGNATES IN OLD CONTENT
    Users are promised new content but the publisher fails to deliver fresh content to the game. This supports boredom and latency in game playing. This screams for bots to take over the user’s game play, because content is no longer challenging or vigorous.

THE GAME USES TIME COMMITMENTS TO PROGRESS
    When the same tasks are exponentially increased over time resulting in greater rewards than players with limited time to progress, this screams for a bot or macro.

THE GAME’S AGE SHOWS LAYERS OF BUGS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN FIXED
    The failure to clean up bugs in a legacy game, promotes a lack of respect for the game, the publisher, and it’s employees. That screams for bot programmers to take advantage of failed code and exploit the game.

So, my challenge to GGE is for you to reflect on your game, and ask yourself… do the above points describe our game? Could that be the reason why bots have taken over our game? Our player base?

Thank you for your time and feel free to comment.

Don't use bots. Period. Regardless of what excuses people may have for using them. Is it fair to the people who have to work extra hard at the game while those who use bots can complete an event or invasion with little effort? The answer is no. I understand that a lot of people have to work, but bots are still technically cheating.
    Post edited by David Noble (US1) on
    David Noble @ usa 1
  • GGS are driving bot usage by deliberately making gameplay combersome and tedious, even big ruby spenders will be attracted to bots for that reason - and bot usage will likely continue to accelerate despite banning measures because bot producers will get wise to GGs "detection" criteria [not actual detection at all imo, just algorithms identifying certain aspects and therefore wide open to being manipulated by bot producers] and players will continue to be frustrated by clumsy and repetitive game operations.

The proactive way to combat bots is to introduce game systems which make them irrelevant. Recruitment and tool production are prime examples of features which were exceptionally tiresome and literally drove thousands of players to find and use bots to overcome the limitations. And if everybody has the same (improved) game features available the playing field will automatically be levelled.

From GGS viewpoint I suspect that the prime objective is revenue, and I further believe they misguidedly maintain poor game systems so people will spend to overcome them. The authors of the bot problem are GGS themselves and the way to cure it is not to introduce punitive measures and clog their servers with monitoring systems (which also have the dowside of increasing lag and connectivity problems) but rather to improve their game systems so that bot usage becomes much less attractive. The big problem with punitive measures is that their bigger spending customers are affected just as much as (if not more than) lower spenders so the outcome runs the risk of significantly decreasing game revenue.
    GamerGac5754 @ en 1
  • David Noble (US1)David Noble (US1) Posts: 2,552
    edited 26.04.2017
    GGS are driving bot usage by deliberately making gameplay combersome and tedious, even big ruby spenders will be attracted to bots for that reason - and bot usage will likely continue to accelerate despite banning measures because bot producers will get wise to GGs "detection" criteria [not actual detection at all imo, just algorithms identifying certain aspects and therefore wide open to being manipulated by bot producers] and players will continue to be frustrated by clumsy and repetitive game operations.

The proactive way to combat bots is to introduce game systems which make them irrelevant. Recruitment and tool production are prime examples of features which were exceptionally tiresome and literally drove thousands of players to find and use bots to overcome the limitations. And if everybody has the same (improved) game features available the playing field will automatically be levelled.

From GGS viewpoint I suspect that the prime objective is revenue, and I further believe they misguidedly maintain poor game systems so people will spend to overcome them. The authors of the bot problem are GGS themselves and the way to cure it is not to introduce punitive measures and clog their servers with monitoring systems (which also have the dowside of increasing lag and connectivity problems) but rather to improve their game systems so that bot usage becomes much less attractive. The big problem with punitive measures is that their bigger spending customers are affected just as much as (if not more than) lower spenders so the outcome runs the risk of significantly decreasing game revenue.
    But, how do you justify the use of bots when not everyone uses them? "If" approximately 75% of the people who play this game or more have never used bots before that would mean only a minority actually uses bots. But, the question is why GGS does not tolerate bots. It is because GGS not only wants more money, but perhaps also wants more commitment to the game as well. It could also be harder to compete against bots than human players as well. Because of the fact that bots are not a normal function of the game that could be another reason why GGS is banning people for using them. Another possibility is that GGS views cheating as a competition towards their game. I have my doubts that Goodgame Studios even uses bots as well.
    Post edited by David Noble (US1) on
    David Noble @ usa 1
  • I don't think we need a explanation as to why people use bots, they use bots because its easier and they like cheating.
    diaper boy @ USA
    onion god @ AU
  • Muffins 2.0 (ASIA1)Muffins 2.0 (ASIA1) Posts: 2,932ASIA1
    edited 26.04.2017
    In my server "Asia 1" i've played in a polish alliance,we had a  polish leadership, the leader of that alliance was Superjohn and his polish players like Daniello or Korek showed this program in the alliance(in chat or mass messages, the free version, free recruitment,free upgrade in offline mode, the alarm,feast,free to attack in offline mode,or to collect the money),they  used like 1/2 years, back in 2015 the alliance was powerfull, in events and wars!
    And yes this program was a good thing back in 2014/2015, polish ppl made the program "robo - empire".
    It was cool with the alarm, a good thing....may be in feature, ggs will add a alarm in the game.. if they don't like to add the  alarm  when you're getting an attack from real players, then make it for Npc... bc and fr'lords.... or rb... is still something lol
    ] - asia 1 / top 1 player - 2.3m power - 13.06.2019

• I am not justifying the use of bots - I am saying that players will be driven to them by inadequate game systems, some sooner than others. The best way to give everybody an equal shot is to improve those poor systems rather than attempt to detect and penalise players who are using them and will continue to use them to overcome unnecessary game restrictions and tedium. Bot producers will not be sitting on their hands and a GGS flash in the pan detection and banning exercise will never cure the problem while they continue with poor game systems.
    GamerGac5754 @ en 1
  • LadyWolfe (US1)LadyWolfe (US1) Posts: 100US1
    I am not justifying the use of bots - I am saying that players will be driven to them by inadequate game systems, some sooner than others. The best way to give everybody an equal shot is to improve those poor systems rather than attempt to detect and penalise players who are using them and will continue to use them to overcome unnecessary game restrictions and tedium. Bot producers will not be sitting on their hands and a GGS flash in the pan detection and banning exercise will never cure the problem while they continue with poor game systems.
    You are spot on with your observations. Thank you for your feedback.
    LadyWolfe @ usa 1.

Sign In to comment.