Home English (UK) Technical Assistance

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Hacked Twice

We have a fellow in our alliance who is in the 70's & 764 legendary level
He has been hacked not once but twice.
He lives alone & has checked his computer each time.
The hacker is stripping his tools, demolishing po for coins & shipping to a Black Dragons monument to then cap with another account.
Hacker has spent all his rubies, all hi coins & stripped all his tools from casta's.
Even sold his Granary's for coins to ship stuff.
Yet GGE does nothing when he tells them that hacking is happening.

Does GGE even give a darn about one person?

Best Answers

Answers

• Venom (ASIA1)Venom (ASIA1) ASIA1 Posts: 2,232
    Good chance he has given the password away to someone else. Seeing if you could hack the game he would just do this to the whole server.
    Venom @ Asia - Member for Drunken Fist
    Venom @ Australia - War Marshal for Shadow Lords!!

Best player on the test server B)

• Catharina (AU1)Catharina (AU1) AU1 Posts: 16
    No he did not and never has EVER given out his password!!!

How can you judge something you know nothing about 

Catharina @ au 1
  • Chris2307 (GB1)Chris2307 (GB1) Posts: 944
    edited 14.03.2017

You're unlikely to get much sympathy on here since pretty much every case of "hacking" brought to this forum has been a result of someone sharing their password or attempting to use one of those fake GGE cheats online. 

A proper hack is the least likely scenario given this happens on a regular basis and is always a result of the above and every other time, it is claimed they didn't give anyone their password. Was his password guessable? Did he give someone a little too much information which enabled them to guess it? That is the next likely scenario. 
    Chris2307 @ en 1
  • Bella (AU1)Bella (AU1) Posts: 2
    edited 14.03.2017
    Good chance he has given the password away to someone else. Seeing if you could hack the game he would just do this to the whole server.
    Not only has he not given out his password, he has reset it twice, to a secure password that he has said is not easy to guess. 

GGE needs to do something about this so please out the 'must have been the players fault" and let GGE address this issue.     They didn't give out their password!.

We don't feel safe and we don't feel that GGE values us as playing customers when a player is being hacked, multiple times in the space of a few days and the only response we see is "player must have given out their password".  

So instead of using this same old line again and again, all GGE need to do is search google for Goodgame Empire hacks to see there's websites that show people how to hack players accounts.  This is not uncommon, it happens in other games too.  When people just don't want to put in the hard word to get high in a game, they steal or try to steal other players accounts. 

It's GGE's responsibility to investigate a legitimate claim of hacking and there is no doubt to us, who know this player, they that they have been hacked.  As paying customers, we deserve this, at the very least. GGE, please do something about it. Please reinstate this players account to what it before it was hacked. 

You're unlikely to get much sympathy on here since pretty much every case of "hacking" brought to this forum has been a result of someone sharing their password or attempting to use one of those fake GGE cheats online. 

A proper hack is the least likely scenario given this happens on a regular basis and is always a result of the above and every other time, it is claimed they didn't give anyone their password. Was his password guessable? Did he give someone a little too much information which enabled them to guess it? That is the next likely scenario. 
    What are you on and where in this universe do you get off making absurd assumptions about a matter and a person you know nothing about.

I am not after sympathy was merely telling Dark Venom the same thing I am telling you ............. stop judging what you dont know!!
    Catharina @ au 1
  • kookiekooks (US1)kookiekooks (US1) US1 Posts: 259
    If the guy doing the hacking is stocking away tools etc in a monument, lab etc,  watch tem and trace the ownership.  See who is responsible
    kookiekooks @ usa 1
  • Venom (ASIA1)Venom (ASIA1) ASIA1 Posts: 2,232

What are you on and where in this universe do you get off making absurd assumptions about a matter and a person you know nothing about.

I am not after sympathy was merely telling Dark Venom the same thing I am telling you ............. stop judging what you dont know!!
    You don't need to be a genius to know what happens to a MAJORITY  of players. Stop telling us that, "you know nothing about this person" that isn't how it works in real life my darling. All those 12 year old Facebook posts that is, "real shit" isn't, "real shit"

Now please stop being so f***ing arrogant and maybe listen to someone else. People can lie!! For all we know this player has given their password away, maybe not. Their password could be their birthday or god knows what else.

Now please shut up and listen to the alternatives!

Yes I am pissed!

With @Chris2307 (GB1) comment I would highly agree with this, in modern age we can take an educated guess at what has happened.

On the whole topic, why are you posting it here? Nothing will change, support hasn't come back yet? IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO INVESTIGATE THESE KINDA ISSUES!! Not just a day or 2 could be weeks. Isn't grade 2 math we are dealing with here and many other issues are in line before this, they don't know what is important and what isn't, they just get a random list of players with issues to help out.

Venom @ Asia - Member for Drunken Fist
    Venom @ Australia - War Marshal for Shadow Lords!!

Best player on the test server B)

• Chris2307 (GB1)Chris2307 (GB1) Posts: 944
    edited 14.03.2017

You shouldn't post on the forums then if you don't wish to invite comments from other people. Absurd assumptions? No. Judging? No. I'm telling you why you are unlikely to get sympathy and stating a few facts. It just isn't what you want to hear.

Can I ask why you are so sure he has not shared his password or been visiting some dodgy sites? Because he told you? OK then.

Chris2307 @ en 1
  • sounds like a keylogger. If he can't find the virus, tell him to reformat his hard drive.
  • Philt123 (GB1)Philt123 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,839
    If he has genuinly been hacked twice, in a short space of time, and he had a secure PW, then i would highly reccomend that he checks his computer very carefully, for malicious software, if he has keylogging software or some other such software, it doesnt matter how many times he changes his pw, the "hacker" will know it instantly.  Might also be worth checking to see if he has a facebook link setup, and check that it is his facebook account.  ie could the attacker have set up a facebook link to his own facebook account one of the times he was hacked?  And is he using that FB account to gain access?

Support should be at least be able to help with the FB link hopefully they should be tell if his account was accessed this way or by standard pw.

using a secure random pw gererator program for a while might be an idea too.
    Philt123 @ en 1
  • No he did not and never has EVER given out his password!!!

And you are making assertions about another player. I don't care who this person is to you and how well you think you know them, you know for sure as much as anybody responding here whether they ever gave out their password to another player. There are "hackers" out there, but the level of hacking required would not be wasted on your buddy to burn his account.

Ahkam's Razor- The simplest explaination is usually the answer. More likely a world  class hacker keeps hacking one player in you alliance to spend their rubies, coin, etc... or that they have given their password to someone they trust that is backstabbing them or just thinks it's funny?

• Phil and Raggle, agree with your comments re: keylogging.  This person doesn't use FB and he has done a full virus scan. 

He is using Norton (yes many would not use Nortom, I'm one of those people).  I also recommended they install something like anti maleware bytes which is good for picking up malicious or invasive  programmes but does anyone know if would detect a keylogger? 

To the rest that are so sure he gave out is password. he hasn't, we know this person well, he is not a new or inexperienced player and he knows enough to not use an easy password and he has not given out information that could have made his password guessable the 1st time let alone a 2nd time in the space of 2 days.  Please stop stating this as it's not helpful and the only thing it does is to detract from the real problem. 

Sure it happens but not this time.  

The purpose of posting is to get suggestions for what he can do, thank you to those that have a few suggestions, please keep them coming and if you could leave the insults and accusations for another thread, that would be appreciated.

Thanks. 
  • Irrespective of how the hacker was able to hack the account I would have thought GGE  have to assume some responsibility in pursuing the hacker and at least close down his accounts.

Doing nothing condones the behaviour and this hacker continues to steal players money. No doubt if he gets away with this lot he will be on the look out for his next target. As the hacker appears to be quite adept at it I would suggest that no one's account is safe.

Doing nothing GGE is a sure way of losing even more valuable ruby purchasing customers

NoblemanRoss @ au 1
  • perryl (US1)perryl (US1) US1 Posts: 1,231
    Phil and Raggle, agree with your comments re: keylogging.  This person doesn't use FB and he has done a full virus scan. 

He is using Norton (yes many would not use Nortom, I'm one of those people).  I also recommended they install something like anti maleware bytes which is good for picking up malicious or invasive  programmes but does anyone know if would detect a keylogger? 

To the rest that are so sure he gave out is password. he hasn't, we know this person well, he is not a new or inexperienced player and he knows enough to not use an easy password and he has not given out information that could have made his password guessable the 1st time let alone a 2nd time in the space of 2 days.  Please stop stating this as it's not helpful and the only thing it does is to detract from the real problem. 

The purpose of posting is to get suggestions for what he can do, thank you to those that have a few suggestions, please keep them coming and if you could leave the insults and accusations for another thread, that would be appreciated.

Thanks. 
    This person doesn't use Facebook? That's the point that was being made. If he hasn't connected his Facebook then maybe someone else could have. That's the point.

A full virus scan? So? A virus cannot be detected until the virus database knows about it. If the person messing with him knows how to write their own keylogger they could write an undetectable one just for your friend. If they didn't use it anywhere else then it would never end up on the virus database, most likely. 

Norton? Just last year the American government issued a warning due to vulnerabilities discovered in Symantec antivirus products. https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-187A 

You're right, many people won't use Norton. Not since Peter sold it. Norton is the program inexperienced users get on their Walmart bought PCs, that's all. Norton is not reliable, it's just common. It's like paying for AVG. I'm not saying Norton doesn't detect any viruses, just that it's less reliable than Bitdefender or Kaspersky. Once a good RAT or keylogger is in your system, what makes you think it can't hide from any antivirus? Do you know what binders and crypters are? No? Maybe you should stop making assumptions about the people trying to help, then. We're not making assumptions. Read the posts. Words like "could" give away our intent. 

There is no guarantee that "insert program here' will detect "insert malware here", but they try. These days...
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/antivirus-software-1.3668746

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely possible that GGE has been compromised and that only your friend has felt the effects, or that your friend upset some world-class hacker that has nothing better to do. It's just highly unlikely. It's significantly more likely that your friend has been compromised or made a mistake. World-class hackers can hack things of more value than a GGE account.

The kind of people that would spend their time sending tools to a monument to steal them? lol. Why would they compromise your friend when they can compromise accounts with millions of rubies? Why would they send tools when they could compromise GGE itself? This doesn't sound anything like a world class hacker. 

We had a member of our alliance get "hacked" last year, or maybe it was in 2015 even. I don't remember for sure. Anyways, they gave out their password to someone so they could look at equipment combinations? Soemthing like that. lol. Point is, we never thought this person would give out their info and it took us several days to sort it out. 

How do you think your friend was hacked? What does hacking mean to you? How does a person "hack" into an account? 

The ways are limited, but the same for all of us. For a true hacking incident to occur the database needs to be compromised. For that to happen? We'd all be hacked. Those ads you see online about "hacking" GGE are for those bots that GGE is trying to fight. I'm not sure what might be on the dark web, I've never looked. Sure, it's possible that we've all already been compromised and just don't know it yet. Unlikely, though. Again, the simplest explanation is probably the answer. 

If your friend is sure they haven't willingly given out their password then they need to consider reformatting. Because they likely unwillingly have given it out. These issues are not normal and it's likely that their bank account and other more important information is at risk. I'm not sure that he has or hasn't given out his password. I'm just sure that it's possible that he has, willingly or not, and him saying he hasn't isn't a good enough for me to believe him. 

I run a server for a living, with hundreds of players just like you and I. It's very common for people that get "hacked" to claim that they never gave out their passwords. I search logs and see them giving out their password. When I ask them about that they will say something like "oh, that's my best friend, he doesn't count". This is the internet. I've seen brothers rip each other off because of sibling rivalry. Don't get me wrong, I know you said your friend lives alone, but this is just an example of what I am used to dealing with. So, maybe your friend gave the password to someone a long time ago and that person quit, or some other thing he's just not thinking of. This happens. People forget things. 

Furthermore, you don't even really know if your friend is a male, lives alone, or is even telling the truth. Just throwing that out there. Unless you physically met up and went over to his house, and even then. Could have a separate house. This is the world we live in. You just never know. 

tl:dr Being hacked twice in 2 days when you've changed your password is a symptom of malware. RAT or keylogger, most likely. There is no guarantee that antivirus will detect it. The only way you can guarantee your system is safe is to reformat. Norton sucks and we all know it. If your friend was truly hacked then we all would be. 
    perryl @ USA1 
    Perryl @ UK1 and AU1. Will be back on UK1 soon. 

@ me or don't expect a response. 

Chasing the goalpost since 2014. I discovered GGE through a Dogecoin faucet rotator. Don't know what that is? No big deal, those are gone in 2018 2020. A long break was good. Highly recommended. I got too drunk and forgot why I hated GGE and took a break in the first place. So, here I am again. 

2020 - Not dead yet.
    Irrespective of how the hacker was able to hack the account I would have thought GGE  have to assume some responsibility in pursuing the hacker and at least close down his accounts.

Doing nothing condones the behaviour and this hacker continues to steal players money. No doubt if he gets away with this lot he will be on the look out for his next target. As the hacker appears to be quite adept at it I would suggest that no one's account is safe.

Doing nothing GGE is a sure way of losing even more valuable ruby purchasing customers

I agree, GGE should do their part in helping. Investigating alleged hacking incidents should be important.

I disagree, I'm confident that GGE has not been compromised and that this was a user error. If GGE was compromised we'd be seeing dozens of other victims by now. If this hacker was as skilled as you guys think he is then he would have compromised the leader of the top alliance. Unless you're insinuating it's one of us. :p
    perryl @ USA1 

Chasing the goalpost since 2014. I discovered GGE through a Dogecoin faucet rotator. Don't know what that is? No big deal, those are gone in 2018 2020. A long break was good. Highly recommended. I got too drunk and forgot why I hated GGE and took a break in the first place. So, here I am again. 

2020 - Not dead yet.
    If he has genuinly been hacked twice, in a short space of time, and he had a secure PW, then i would highly reccomend that he checks his computer very carefully, for malicious software, if he has keylogging software or some other such software, it doesnt matter how many times he changes his pw, the "hacker" will know it instantly.  Might also be worth checking to see if he has a facebook link setup, and check that it is his facebook account.  ie could the attacker have set up a facebook link to his own facebook account one of the times he was hacked?  And is he using that FB account to gain access?

Support should be at least be able to help with the FB link hopefully they should be tell if his account was accessed this way or by standard pw.

using a secure random pw gererator program for a while might be an idea too.
    Cheers finally an intelligent answer ...currently looking into that as was suggested the other day which makes it even more frustrating .....shall pass this on to him.thank you
    Catharina @ au 1
    Irrespective of how the hacker was able to hack the account I would have thought GGE  have to assume some responsibility in pursuing the hacker and at least close down his accounts.

I agree, GGE should do their part in helping. Investigating alleged hacking incidents should be important.

I disagree, I'm confident that GGE has not been compromised and that this was a user error. If GGE was compromised we'd be seeing dozens of other victims by now. If this hacker was as skilled as you guys think he is then he would have compromised the leader of the top alliance. Unless you're insinuating it's one of us. :p
    Perryl perhaps if you were Romanian we would be a little more suspicious of you  :) But as you can string a sentence together in perfect English puts you above suspicion............. though now you have put doubt in our minds (hhehehe)............. ;p

Thanks for the perspective and insight in your earlier post  .....cheers Cat

Catharina @ au 1
  • Phil and Raggle, agree with your comments re: keylogging.  This person doesn't use FB and he has done a full virus scan. 

Thanks. 
    I already told you what he can do. If he hasn't found the keylogger its still there. Only option is reformat and hope it doesn't survive that. also wouldn't hurt to figure out what he downloaded/visited that gave him the key logger
  • MagicMUSHY (AU1)MagicMUSHY (AU1) AU1 Posts: 163
    Who would use a key logger to hack just someones game? That's more used for bank stuff etc. Also it is not GGE to blame it is up to the individual to keep themselves safe online.

Here is something to try, good luck! Onscreen keyboard dodge key loggers too until you find and remove I believe.. There's some good anti-key loggers online :)
    copied from web:
    Open Task Manager in order to end the process of the installed keylogger. You should know that not every keylogger can be found in Task Manager. Many of them hide their traces. But you should still check the possibility to end its process:
    Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then select Task Manager in the menu.Select Processes tab, scroll the list. Find the process that is called winlogon.exe. One process with such a name is a normal thing, but if you have 2 processes with the same name, then you have a keylogger.Highlight the second winlogon.exe and click End process (you should end only the second process with such a name)

edited 16.03.2017
    Phil and Raggle, agree with your comments re: keylogging.  This person doesn't use FB and he has done a full virus scan. 

Thanks. 
    I already told you what he can do. If he hasn't found the keylogger its still there. Only option is reformat and hope it doesn't survive that. also wouldn't hurt to figure out what he downloaded/visited that gave him the key logger
    I've never heard of a keylogger surviving reformat. 

Who would use a key logger to hack just someones game? That's more used for bank stuff etc. Also it is not GGE to blame it is up to the individual to keep themselves safe online.

Here is something to try, good luck! Onscreen keyboard dodge key loggers too until you find and remove I believe.. There's some good anti-key loggers online :)
    copied from web:
    Open Task Manager in order to end the process of the installed keylogger. You should know that not every keylogger can be found in Task Manager. Many of them hide their traces. But you should still check the possibility to end its process:
    Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then select Task Manager in the menu.Select Processes tab, scroll the list. Find the process that is called winlogon.exe. One process with such a name is a normal thing, but if you have 2 processes with the same name, then you have a keylogger.Highlight the second winlogon.exe and click End process (you should end only the second process with such a name)
    Keyloggers are used for many reasons. Who would use it to hack someone's game? Someone that wanted to. Seems pretty obvious, no? 

It is up to the individual to keep themselves safe online. However, if GGE was leaking information through one of the types of breaches I'm not going to explain here, then yes, it would be their fault and they would be responsible. This does happen, regularly, or have you not heard of Yahoo? 

Onscreen keyboards are logged by well-developed keyloggers. 

Why would you press CTRL+ALT+DEL? You can simply right-click the taskbar and select task manager there. 

That's only one example of a keylogger. "winlogon.exe" is not the only possible infection you could get. Ending the process would not be sufficient, if you were to find a second process you would be required to reformat. 

The first thing malware does when it successfully infects a system is to begin to copy itself, hide itself, and back itself up. Quickly communicating with the c&c servers to track and possibly further infect.  

You're playing a dangerous game. Just backup your data and reformat before you end up with a screen telling you to send some Bitcoin to X address to get your computer unlocked. Then take the time to learn how to protect yourself. 

Here's a good article on some things people should be doing. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/15/protect-passwords-two-step-verification-encryption-digital-life-privacy

This is a website managed by expert security analysts, white-hats, and partners in law enforcement from around the world. 
    https://www.nomoreransom.org/prevention-advice.html

If you want advice, take it from the experts. Robust antivirus software does not mean Norton. 

Some good advice that hasn't been covered in this thread. 
    http://fieldguide.gizmodo.com/how-to-protect-your-pc-from-trolls-hackers-and-other-o-1793288890

Advice on the best antivirus. 
    http://www.pcgamer.com/best-anti-virus/

perryl @ USA1 

2020 - Not dead yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file