Home English (UK) Players ask Players

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

A Manual? A Glossary? I have questions

Does this site have some kind of manual, or a glossary with explanations? 
Are there treatises? 
The "show me" suggestions in the game don't always steer you in the right direction. 

I have an outpost in the 'great empire', the ice kingdom. It has no resources and not enough soldiers to loot the barbarians. I cannot get more soldiers without food and I have no food. 
I would like to simply ditch this outpost until I get stronger and can afford a bigger, better equipped outpost there. How do I get rid of that outpost?
Is a 'castellan' one of those resource outposts?

Comments

• Thanks. 

By the way, what should I do when an alliance member is under attack? I don't know how to help defend my alliance members and I cannot seem to find out from anyone. 
  • JYT (US1)JYT (US1) US1 Posts: 895
    Click on the castle being attacked. Instead of an attack option, you should see a tent symbol that says support when you mouse over it.
    Click it, and send however many troops you want to support your alliance-mate
    Discord: JYT#1574
  • perryl (US1)perryl (US1) US1 Posts: 1,231
    Does this site have some kind of manual, or a glossary with explanations? 
    Are there treatises? 
    The "show me" suggestions in the game don't always steer you in the right direction. 

I have an outpost in the 'great empire', the ice kingdom. It has no resources and not enough soldiers to loot the barbarians. I cannot get more soldiers without food and I have no food. 
    I would like to simply ditch this outpost until I get stronger and can afford a bigger, better equipped outpost there. How do I get rid of that outpost?
    Is a 'castellan' one of those resource outposts?
    Everything you want to know can be found on the forums. You can message me in-game if you have questions. 

Are there treaties? Yes. Alliances set up their own treaties with other alliances using "pacts" and "naas". A lot of the time there won't be enough slots to input all of your treaties so it's pretty important to read an alliance's page before you attack an alliance member. At least, if you care about their response. 

"Show me" will just take you to close people that will probably get you into some trouble. lol

Outposts are important to your development. The most effective outposts are food outposts that have a glow. These OPs are generally called "shiny" outposts and have 8 of one resource and 2 of the other. Generally, you want food because as you have already found out, troops need food to survive. That tends to be the most important resource in this game. I would consider wood second most important, and stone least important. Of the normal resources, anyways. 

I wouldn't expect to loot from outposts at first, unless you get a built one. There is a good chance if you join any reputable alliance they will probably have outposts lying around that you can take. May I suggest H.I.V.E? They will likely take you in. They taught me most of what I know. I'm now in the #1 alliance partially because of their teachings and the people I met there. 

To leave an outpost you select the "economy" tab in the bottom left corner of the screen, then select the "management" option. You are looking for a menu that looks something like this. http://prntscr.com/ek14r4

A "castellan" is your defensive hero. This is the hero that is defending the respective castle. Castellans are used to capture outposts. 

Outposts are useful for training troops, building tools, and producing food. Among other things, but that's what I mainly use them for. It takes time to develop your OPs to be self-sufficient, but it is worth it. I looked at your castle and the two OPs you have are unbuilt OPs that are not "shiny" or food. They produce food, but food is their secondary resource. You won't keep these OPs long term, so, it';s probably worth it to get rid of them now. 

673:635 would be a better wood OP near you. That's what a shiny OP looks like. That's a "shiny wood" because it produces 8 wood and 2 food. That means 8 wood buildings will produce at full production, the 9th at 75%, the 10th at 56%, 11th at 42%, etc. 

You should also consider that you might end up moving to a different location. It is definitely worth it to move locations to have better OPs. It's better to move early on because your Robber Baron Castles don't move with you. RBCs are an important part of development and due to limits imposed by the game, you may be unable to level new ones if you moved too many times. 

Don't enter Burning Sands or Fire Peaks until you are in a solid alliance and have built up your walls, towers, and keep in ice as high as you can. Unless your alliance asks you to enter to produce an RV spawn. There is a trick to following Resource Village spawn logic. There is absolutely no benefit to rushing into Sands or Fire without the chance of triggering a spawn. It's just another castle to maintain. lol
    perryl @ USA1 
    Perryl @ UK1 and AU1. Will be back on UK1 soon. 

@ me or don't expect a response. 

Chasing the goalpost since 2014. I discovered GGE through a Dogecoin faucet rotator. Don't know what that is? No big deal, those are gone in 2018 2020. A long break was good. Highly recommended. I got too drunk and forgot why I hated GGE and took a break in the first place. So, here I am again. 

2020 - Not dead yet.
  • Perryl, 
    thank you for taking the time to write so much and advise me so well. Presently I am in the THEKINGS REBORN alliance. Our leader jdafisher has been helpful when he is online. The other members don't talk much. 

I am trying to find out how to help out a member whose outpost is being captured. There are about 14 hours remaining. I have about 1000 soldiers right now and would love to send some to station at his outpost to help defend it. They are eating about 3000 more food units per hour than I produce. I am having to loot constantly to keep them fed. Once the samurai campaign is over I don't know what I will do. They may starve which would be a shame. 

It would suck to leave my robber barons behind. I have leveled up about 8 of them pretty well. Two are over 20, two more at 16, 3 at 14, one at 12, and then several in the 7 to 10 range. 

I like having that one outpost which is right beside my castle. I can transfer stuff pretty quickly back and forth. The other one is alright, but they both need help all the time. 
    I wish I had not taken that op in the ice kingdom. It was nothing to begin with. It is slowly improving but I would ditch it if I could Somebody told me I could not get rid of it. 

I will shoot you a message sometime if I cannot get an answer from anyone in my group. Thanks again. 

Perryl, 
    thank you for taking the time to write so much and advise me so well. Presently I am in the THEKINGS REBORN alliance. Our leader jdafisher has been helpful when he is online. The other members don't talk much. 

I am trying to find out how to help out a member whose outpost is being captured. There are about 14 hours remaining. I have about 1000 soldiers right now and would love to send some to station at his outpost to help defend it. They are eating about 3000 more food units per hour than I produce. I am having to loot constantly to keep them fed. Once the samurai campaign is over I don't know what I will do. They may starve which would be a shame. 

It would suck to leave my robber barons behind. I have leveled up about 8 of them pretty well. Two are over 20, two more at 16, 3 at 14, one at 12, and then several in the 7 to 10 range. 

I like having that one outpost which is right beside my castle. I can transfer stuff pretty quickly back and forth. The other one is alright, but they both need help all the time. 
    I wish I had not taken that op in the ice kingdom. It was nothing to begin with. It is slowly improving but I would ditch it if I could Somebody told me I could not get rid of it. 

I will shoot you a message sometime if I cannot get an answer from anyone in my group. Thanks again. 

When someone is attempting to capture an OP there will be a flag in it. The attacker now has to defend that OP for up to 24 hours before that OP is theirs. Your alliance members can all attack that OP and attempt to knock the flag off, but the attacker can change tools and can have support from their alliance. 

I don't know anything about your alliance, but someone with your level of activity should have no trouble getting into a stronger alliance. Your RBs are progressing nicely. Well done. 

Having to loot is a big part of the game. It's pretty much impossible to be positive food in every castle and still have sufficient troops for both attacking and defending. 

It would suck to leave them behind, but better sooner than later. Think long-term. Easier to level those RBs up again than it is to build nice OPs that are close to you. 

I also like having a close OP, but again, you gotta think long-term. A lot of buildings cost money or a lot of effort to upgrade. If you end up playing this game long enough to get to level 70 and start progressing through the legendary levels then I am certain you will eventually be letting go of that close OP. 

I'm in protection so I'm pretty inactive right now, but definitely, you can shoot me a message about anything game-related. If I don't know it then I know someone who does. 
    perryl @ USA1 

Chasing the goalpost since 2014. I discovered GGE through a Dogecoin faucet rotator. Don't know what that is? No big deal, those are gone in 2018 2020. A long break was good. Highly recommended. I got too drunk and forgot why I hated GGE and took a break in the first place. So, here I am again. 

2020 - Not dead yet.
  • I think I need to read up on how to set up my attacks. So far I have just been using the autofill button, and sometimes adjusting the tools used if someone tells me a particular tool works well against a particular enemy (like using mantels against samurai camps -- my leader told me about that.) 
    If you have any general tips, or if you can direct me to a good treatise or primer on the subject, that would be great. 

I like my current leader, he or she is helpful. But you are directing me to look at the long term implications of staying where I am, with my crappy ops. 
    I guess there is little sense in building them up very much since it makes no sense long term to keep them.
    I think I need to read up on how to set up my attacks. So far I have just been using the autofill button, and sometimes adjusting the tools used if someone tells me a particular tool works well against a particular enemy (like using mantels against samurai camps -- my leader told me about that.) 
    If you have any general tips, or if you can direct me to a good treatise or primer on the subject, that would be great. 

I like my current leader, he or she is helpful. But you are directing me to look at the long term implications of staying where I am, with my crappy ops. 
    I guess there is little sense in building them up very much since it makes no sense long term to keep them.
    A helpful leader is a good start. 

I didn't look at the posted guide, but there are many efficient guides out there. Ultimately, it depends on what you're attacking. Some things you can use "dummy waves" to remove tools, for some stupid reason. lol. 

When attacking another player you should always assume they have support and will be able to get online and change defense. Proper attacking varies, but moat tools are pretty important in player attacks. When attacking Samurais or Nomads I focus on range first, wall 2nd, gate 3rd. However, now I just autofill them because I'm lazy and have good enough commanders to do so. Autofill weighs wall over range. 

Range beats melee on offense, range beats range on defense and vice versa. So with robber barons I generally do not use tools at all. I just send whatever makes more sense and depending on the server I still use macemen and crossbowmen. 

I regret researching veteran macemen and veteran crosshowmen on USA1. I recommend avoiding that. Macemen and crossbowmen are too useful, even at the highest levels. 

My first teachings came from RiderFrank in AF:Riders, they have a nice guide they might be willing to share if you ask him. If they even still have it. 
    perryl @ USA1 

2020 - Not dead yet.
  • Wanheda (US1)Wanheda (US1) US1 Posts: 89
     I still use macemen and crossbowmen. 

I regret researching veteran macemen and veteran crosshowmen on USA1. I recommend avoiding that. Macemen and crossbowmen are too useful, even at the highest levels. 

i'm with you on that, i made that mistake before, and i'll never do it again... i'm at lvl 70/29 with no vet research done
  • TannerM. (US1)TannerM. (US1) US1 Posts: 2,695
    Can confirm ^^ 

Brief guide on some basic game mechanics.  Sepy forgot to credit the author though, *cough* me *cough*
    nHIylr9gif = The battle plan

The Ningdom now and forever - Serry 

Hion has a small dink
    Tanner was one of the people in HIVE that helped shape me. Back when he was good enough for HIVE. 
    perryl @ USA1 

2020 - Not dead yet.
  • Thanks to all for your answers. 

Perryl (AU1)
    said: "However, now I just autofill them because I'm lazy and have good enough commanders to do so. Autofill weighs wall over range." 

I always use autofill just because I don't have the know how to do better in most cases. And I am working on getting the best equipment for my commanders. 

Thanks to Sepy for recommending the guide and to Tanner for writing it. Now that I have allowed myself to get hooked on this game I need to study up on it. It is strangely addictive. 

The latest samurai campaign allowed me to build up over 300,000 coins pretty quickly, and level up a few times as well. Between the sams and the Shamrock castles and rewards I built up over 900 soldiers in my main castle as well. But I had to continuously loot rbs and sams to keep them fed. One night I went to sleep and when I woke up, they were wiped out, starved to death. 
    Had I realized I could get lots of glory from letting them die in battle, I could have done that instead. 

My leader tipped me off to an abandoned castle near me, and now I can farm it for food for as long as it remains there. The castle owner is not allied with anyone and has not been active in months. So that will help with food until I can find a shiny food op. 

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. 

Thanks to all for your answers. 

Perryl (AU1)
    said: "However, now I just autofill them because I'm lazy and have good enough commanders to do so. Autofill weighs wall over range." 

I always use autofill just because I don't have the know how to do better in most cases. And I am working on getting the best equipment for my commanders. 

Thanks to Sepy for recommending the guide and to Tanner for writing it. Now that I have allowed myself to get hooked on this game I need to study up on it. It is strangely addictive. 

The latest samurai campaign allowed me to build up over 300,000 coins pretty quickly, and level up a few times as well. Between the sams and the Shamrock castles and rewards I built up over 900 soldiers in my main castle as well. But I had to continuously loot rbs and sams to keep them fed. One night I went to sleep and when I woke up, they were wiped out, starved to death. 
    Had I realized I could get lots of glory from letting them die in battle, I could have done that instead. 

My leader tipped me off to an abandoned castle near me, and now I can farm it for food for as long as it remains there. The castle owner is not allied with anyone and has not been active in months. So that will help with food until I can find a shiny food op. 

Thanks again for all your comments and advice. 

I'm in protection so you can always ask me for food. You might have to pm me on forums to get my attention, though. lol

Autofill will also use your best tools first. That's the biggest downside to using it. I like to send my good tools elsewhere before using it.

You can also use slowdown feature to loot food while you sleep, or to send yourself food while you sleep. It's 200 rubies per shot, but much cheaper than losing your whole army. 
    perryl @ USA1 

2020 - Not dead yet.
  • TannerM. (US1)TannerM. (US1) US1 Posts: 2,695
    Tanner was one of the people in HIVE that helped shape me. Back when he was good enough for HIVE. 
    Back when Perry still wasn't a multi-server powerhouse with all the friends and money.  He doesn't even call anymore since he got big :'(
    nHIylr9gif = The battle plan

The Ningdom now and forever - Serry 

Hion has a small dink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file