Home English (UK) US Migration Content - Community

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Urgent !!! Set A Time Limit On Computers

I know I need to do this, and I just found this out today.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-wealth/201402/gray-matters-too-much-screen-time-damages-the-brain

So have one of those portable oven timers ( the wind up kind that buzzes when the time is up right in front of you ) to let you know when it is time to walk away from the computer as well as the game for your own mental health & cognitive function.

I definitely notice something wasn't right with my comprehension.  And I have been too long on this computer playing the game.

This is FYI

Comments

• Wasso (INT3)Wasso (INT3) INT3 Posts: 3,332

Two comments on this:

1. Yep, that explains alot of the comments on here...........
    2. Am I the only one who finds that article a bit self-serving?  The last line is: "see my new book, .................. "
    Good night.
    Sleep well.
    I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

• Dumb Cat (US1)Dumb Cat (US1) US1 Posts: 548
    I know I need to do this, and I just found this out today.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mental-wealth/201402/gray-matters-too-much-screen-time-damages-the-brain

So have one of those portable oven timers ( the wind up kind that buzzes when the time is up right in front of you ) to let you know when it is time to walk away from the computer as well as the game for your own mental health & cognitive function.

I definitely notice something wasn't right with my comprehension.  And I have been too long on this computer playing the game.

This is FYI

open a new tab and go to online stopwatch dot com.  Then click on the countdown timer link.
  • outlaw_always (US1)outlaw_always (US1) US1 Posts: 1,336
    It's not the "screen time" that's the problem, its the content. If I played Halo for 15 hours straight of course my brain would flunk out :expressionless: Empire is seclusive and addicting but not like fricking spazzing out and peeing your pants as your in character in CoD gets blown to shreds.... lol and don't forget about this part:

Image result for Playing call of Duty how I imagine myself what I really am meme

Guardian of the Sword Outlaw_Always the Fearless
    Joined June 2016:
    AF: Riders
  • Not that i doubt there are unwanted side effects of excessive computer time, but any "factual" data taken from a study should be taken with a grain of salt. There is a big difference between a controlled, clinical trial and a study.  Other possible causative factors are not even taken into consideration, like perhaps the problem is that they all eat poptarts (forgive me poptart lovers LOL).  Furthermore this article seems to be  primarily talking about children and teens whose brains are still developing and from skimming the citations, it looks like it was based on studies and articles on those that have some kind of internet or gaming addiction, particularly kids and teens.  So this may not be applicable to adults at all, and again this is based on data from a study not a a controlled, clinical trial. 
  • Graycat (US1)Graycat (US1) Posts: 9,990
    It's not the "screen time" that's the problem, its the content. If I played Halo for 15 hours straight of course my brain would flunk out :expressionless:
    yeah, I pretty much agree with outlaw on this one. Basically the article says that if i spend too much time looking at a screen my brain will die. It's all about the content. Doing something mentally engaging on a computer is definitely better than watching a mind numbing tv show. :)
  • Despotic (US1)Despotic (US1) US1 Posts: 158
    edited 15.09.2016
    Graycat (US1) said:
     Doing something mentally engaging on a computer is definitely better than watching a mind numbing tv show. :)
    ^THIS!
  • Coolking4716 (US1)Coolking4716 (US1) Posts: 4,538
    edited 15.09.2016
    I do just fine, and I play a lot and my grades are all As and high Bs, don't try to get GGS to force a timer on us, I would be 110% pissed off.

As far as I am concerned this is a bunch of malarkey, like I said, I play for multiple hours a day, and have high grades.

-John

Member of "The People Who Have Lives"

GGS's Definition of bullying:

• Threatening someone/someone's family/relatives IN REAL LIFE (Usually results in a permanent ban)
    • Calling people excessively vulgar/racist/hateful words/names (Usually results in a 24 hour temp ban)
    Anything and Everything else is perfectly acceptable.

For those of you who think capping/hitting Outposts, Monuments, Laboratories, Resource villages is bullying, go play farmville or mahjong. THIS IS A WAR GAME!!

Got a problem with me? Just say it to my face.

#RIPTestServer2017

Quit the game on 1/14/17

~CK~
  • Same, well similar to @Coolking4716 (US1) 
    I am failing Irish but I'm pretty sure that's just my lack of enthusiam and heavy dislike for the subject , otherwise all As or Bs 

Not active ingame anymore  [email protected] (back again) 

[email protected] 

Non-ruby buyer 

[email protected] ResilientEmpire 

Pop me a PM ingame or on forums if you want to join :) 

My loot, first week back: 

• Same, well similar to @Coolking4716 (US1) 
    I am failing Irish but I'm pretty sure that's just my lack of enthusiam and heavy dislike for the subject , otherwise all As or Bs 
    I'm like 15% Irish, but know close to nothing about the culture :lol:

-John

• Threatening someone/someone's family/relatives IN REAL LIFE (Usually results in a permanent ban)
    • Calling people excessively vulgar/racist/hateful words/names (Usually results in a 24 hour temp ban)

For those of you who think capping/hitting Outposts, Monuments, Laboratories, Resource villages is bullying, go play farmville or mahjong. THIS IS A WAR GAME!!

#RIPTestServer2017

Quit the game on 1/14/17

~CK~
  • I am 100% not Human
  • I am 100% not Human
    Same hehe
    Proud War Marshal of IdleBane @USA 1
  • I am 100% not Human
    Eh, I'm half human half eternal (Species of thanos :))

-John

#RIPTestServer2017

Quit the game on 1/14/17

~CK~
  • I'm half dog, half nude.
    Proud War Marshal of IdleBane @USA 1
  • outlaw_always (US1)outlaw_always (US1) US1 Posts: 1,336
    kay den.. lol

Guardian of the Sword Outlaw_Always the Fearless
    Joined June 2016:
    AF: Riders
  • Kvass (US1)Kvass (US1) RU1 Posts: 271
    My computer overheats if it's running for 10 hours or more so I'm set

:harold:
    MFUGA

• edited 16.09.2016
    I do just fine, and I play a lot and my grades are all As and high Bs, don't try to get GGS to force a timer on us, I would be 110% pissed off.

As far as I am concerned this is a bunch of malarkey, like I said, I play for multiple hours a day, and have high grades.

-John
    Same, well similar to @Coolking4716 (US1) 
    Same. I got worse exam results when I don't play GGE lol.
    Empire Knights on UK1.

On and off.

this is my ask thread: https://community.goodgamestudios.com/empire/en/discussion/296736/ask-vamp-3#latest

I know you're wearing thin down to the core.

So hold your breath.

• I do just fine, and I play a lot and my grades are all As and high Bs, don't try to get GGS to force a timer on us, I would be 110% pissed off.

-John
    Same, well similar to @Coolking4716 (US1) 
    Same. I got worse exam results when I don't play GGE lol.
    Can confirm he actually does lol ^^^
    Probably because members of EK help him out 

Not active ingame anymore  [email protected] (back again) 

[email protected] 

Non-ruby buyer 

[email protected] ResilientEmpire 

Pop me a PM ingame or on forums if you want to join :) 

My loot, first week back: 

• I do just fine, and I play a lot and my grades are all As and high Bs, don't try to get GGS to force a timer on us, I would be 110% pissed off.

-John

You hit the nail on the head CK! Its just like when idiots tell me smoking is bad for me. I smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and I'm still alive, aren't I? I'm pretty much living proof that cigarettes don't kill. Wish there were more intelligent people like us to guide the future :)

this must be sarcasm (deadly's post). i agree that ggs shouldn't force a timer. but computers do have negative side effects for your eyes if you do not take breaks in between. its one thing to game for the entire day and walk around and get food and stuff. its another to simply fry your eyes and stare at a screen for several hours. Most of us (I'm assuming) do the former, and the latter is what is really bad for you. 
    stay frosty
    rh
    roman soldiers were paid in salt. seems like some people in modern times are too. 

member of revenant souls @ us 1

-John

You hit the nail on the head CK! Its just like when idiots tell me smoking is bad for me. I smoke a pack of cigarettes every day and I'm still alive, aren't I? I'm pretty much living proof that cigarettes don't kill. Wish there were more intelligent people like us to guide the future :)

So your saying CK should be our next president, He already started by being a forum Mod. I wonder what he could do, 
    If he becomes president, I will move to the UK
Sign In to comment.