We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Militis Animum (A Short Story)

l found something l wrote a while ago about the game... A short story, l guess, about a simple soldier's thoughts. Thanks Noble Leone for the title! STORY BEGIN!! :D

I hate everything. I hate my life, I hate my job, and I hate my ruler. I regret wanting fame, fortune, honour, and glory. At the end, I won't gain anything except certain death.

My sole purpose is to wield a sword with my two hands, and fight against other people's soldiers. Other than that, I'm completely useless. I used to think I was incredibly strong. I've watched men die by my sword. At first, it was exhilarating. I cut through enemy lines like butter. But a time wore on, I fought next to stronger allies. They forced me back, and annihilated troops faster than I could ever have. Now, I lurk in the shadows of my ruler's stronghold. I know that I have become absolutely useless to my ruler. I hide behind the veterans and the demons and the wolfhounds and the travellers. I do not want to die. I want to leave and start my own kingdom. I do not want to end up like my friends. They are all dead. They have died in combat, succumbed to their wounds, or have died due to an "accident". I used to be unaware of those deaths. I went to battle, ended up in the hospital to get healed, then I went back to a stronghold. Of course, I knew it was my ruler who had done it all. They had sent me to battle, had healed me, and had placed me into a stronghold. Then my friends and fellow soldiers slowly began to die off. I noticed a drop in our numbers. Slowly, they all died questionable deaths. Accidentally having a millstone dropped on someone is nothing to me, but when it happens "accidentally" more than fifty times, you know something's amiss. That's what happened to the spearmen. As they were marching around one day, several millstones fell on them, crushing them into smears of metal, splinters, and gore. The general excuse was freak weather, but I doubt anyone believed that. I mean, the millstones landed on the spearmen, and the spearmen alone. The mess was cleaned up before our ruler could see it. We buried what we could in the forest, and we rolled the millstones into the mill, where they were desperately needed. Production was slow that day, so our ruler hired an overseer. The overseer is a cruel man with a whip. He sometimes has direct contact with our ruler too, so we must respect him, or face death. There was a princess, whose name I have forgotten. She was kind towards us and hateful to our ruler. She saw how our ruler used us, so she resolved to make life harder for them. It wasn't a good strategy at all, but she was desperate to set us free. It ended badly for her. She was publicly drowned in a large vat of water, under the statement that she was a witch. None of us dared to intervene. We knew our ruler had murdered her, and that our ruler could murder us as well. It was only until later I found out that the overseer had asked the ruler to murder her. We grieved silently, and we took out our hatred on the enemy soldiers.

Now, we're waiting. When we are strong enough, we will strike back and show no mercy towards our ruler. One life for the many he took.

All for one and one for all.
Post edited by Luna Tik (US1) on
s3Ml5wB.jpg It looks like a water tank... :D

Luna Tik, the Insane @ usa 1

Comments

• Nice story! I haven't seen another quite like it on the forums, although it is a recurring trend for the leaders in other stories to abuse their troops/followers, but I haven't seen it written in first person before. I like the innovative thinking!

As for a title idea, this might work : "Militis Animum", which is latin for "Soldier's Mind"

~"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."~

~NL~

• Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!! I'll take it! :D 
    s3Ml5wB.jpg It looks like a water tank... :D

Luna Tik, the Insane @ usa 1
  • You're welcome!

~"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."~

~NL~

•       Bravo!!! Another one Please Sire!!! B) B) B) B) B)
Sign In to comment.