We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Grumpy King vs The Nantuckets (Why?)

2»

Comments

• TheBeav088TheBeav088 Posts: 13
    edited 26.09.2014
    Thank you manatee for getting back to me. I just wanted someone from your team to respond so we could work this out.
    TheBeav088 @ usa 1
  • edited 26.09.2014
    Any one that uses that kind of language should be banned from the game.
    StephenShane @ usa 1
  • ChillyWilly3ChillyWilly3 Posts: 1
    edited 26.09.2014
    I also heard what the message said and while I didn't and wouldn't take offense to it personally you have to consider the fact that there isn't an age limit on this game and the sender had no idea of who the recipient was. it was an elderly lady who has probably heard the word before yes, but it could have been a 10 year old girl as far as he knew and that's where the offense comes in.
    ChillyWilly @ usa 1
  • Manatee (US1)Manatee (US1) Posts: 2,723
    edited 26.09.2014
    Well of course someone was offended, because someone insulted her actions.
    But should something be ban-able or considered downright offensive just because there's a person out there that takes offense to it?

There are women who take offense to being called ma'am.
    There are children who are offended at being called a poopy-head.
    There are scholars offended at being called bookworms.
    Boys everywhere are offended at being called a sissy.

So like ChillyWilly3 says, someone could take offense to one of the above. No doubt. But what of it? I'm offended by being called 'fat'... but MANATEES ARE NOT FAT! We just have big digestive tracts :P (True by the way).

In this case, the lady (we now know it's a female) wasn't even called anything. The issue? Her actions were given a descriptive, lol. No vulgar words used, no repetitions were given. She was likely affronted at the lack of respect due to someone of her station in life. But in melodramatic fashion tried to make it seem more. This is my take on it anyway, no matter how many times I look at it.

So, while I'd never say something rude or vulgar to an old lady, neither would I tell an old lady to "shove off." If she took offense to 'shove off' should we then consider it an atrocious thing to say? No, but we'd understand how someone might be offended, as ChillyWilly says. So where does that leave us?

It leaves us with this: Everything will offend someone, and in an anonymous online game extreme political correctness can only go so far.
    manateesharkjpeg

Manatee @ usa 1
    My ideal method of suicide: climbing Ultimo's ego and jumping to his IQ
  • Lord PorkyLord Porky Posts: 2,967
    edited 26.09.2014
    Any one that uses that kind of language should be banned from the game.

Anyone that worries about stuff like that should grow up or wait until they are older to play games like this.
  • Delirious Delo (AU1)Delirious Delo (AU1) Posts: 4AU1
    edited 26.09.2014
    The point being is it does have a sexual connotation where" shove off does not". It would be a different story all together if the sender knew the recipient. This is not the case though and while it is bad enough for the elderly lady to receive it because she doesn't use this kind of language, how much more the damaging could it have been if it had been received by a young girl. I say a lot of things to my friends in my alliances or other allies I know that I would never say to someone I didn't know. All Mark Klinger needed to do is man up and say." Oh I am so very sorry. I thought you were a guy. I didn't realize you were a lady. Would you please accept my apology. I will be more care in the future when sending a message to someone I don't know." Instead he declares war on the Nantuckets and tells them they going to be farmed and snitches wear stitches. Come on people just admit when A wrong has been done. Be accountable for your actions.
    WarriorDelores @ usa 1
  • Lord KalLord Kal Posts: 63
    edited 27.09.2014
    To mvan: http://www.quotessays.com/images/past-quotes-2.jpg

Yes GK is INTIMIDATING NT. So it is bullying. lol

I find this very interesting considering you are doing the exact same thing about KoN. You are so contradicting it is sad. How are you going to call others bullies when you are one. So it makes it okay if you do it? Get over yourself bro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lord Kal @ usa 1
    Proud Leader of Many Warriors
    Part of the KoN family
    edited 27.09.2014
    The point being is it does have a sexual connotation where" shove off does not". It would be a different story all together if the sender knew the recipient. This is not the case though and while it is bad enough for the elderly lady to receive it because she doesn't use this kind of language, how much more the damaging could it have been if it had been received by a young girl.

Heh - I've known some older female players who were not only extremely savvy and driven gamers - they could also probably make much younger, male players blush, even if they were sailors. ^^

Concerning messages - okay, we are not supposed to insult other people, so, 'letter of the law,' the sender was in the wrong. I assume you are talking about the "F" word, and if offense was taken to it, then I understand.

However, this is the internet, and among gamers there will often be a lot of "real people" talk.

As far as a "young girl," hey - if she's too young to be playing this game, then so be it. Many people would be too young, and many people already here are too young, frankly.

I say a lot of things to my friends in my alliances or other allies I know that I would never say to someone I didn't know. All Mark Klinger needed to do is man up and say." Oh I am so very sorry. I thought you were a guy. I didn't realize you were a lady. Would you please accept my apology. I will be more care in the future when sending a message to someone I don't know." Instead he declares war on the Nantuckets and tells them they going to be farmed and snitches wear stitches. Come on people just admit when A wrong has been done. Be accountable for your actions.

Did some genius say, "You have been reported."? How did Mark Klinger know, otherwise?

Yeah, maybe an apology was due. But if this was just one message, without him knowing that she would be offended, then good grief - I don't blame him for declaring war. Heck, it's a war game, and there doesn't need to be any reason in the first place, so if the sequence was: one message - reported to GGS, then, heck, I'd probably declare war or start my own personal campaign to inflict maximum pain on the reporter, even while apologizing.

There are times when I've found out that the other person is really young, like 10 to 12, and of course that then makes one heck of a difference. Or, if they really are offended, as in this case, apparently, then I think you have to let it go at that point. Any further messages of the same kind is gratuitous and mean-spirited at that point.

I think the principle of a "middle ground" applies here.
  • Manatee (US1)Manatee (US1) Posts: 2,723
    edited 27.09.2014
    All Mark Klinger needed to do is man up and say." Oh I am so very sorry. I thought you were a guy. I didn't realize you were a lady. Would you please accept my apology. I will be more care in the future when sending a message to someone I don't know." Instead he declares war on the Nantuckets and tells them they going to be farmed and snitches wear stitches. Come on people just admit when A wrong has been done. Be accountable for your actions.

Hi WarriorDelores, apologies but this is going to be one of my longer posts.

I feel that the word vagina, like the word breast, armpit, nostril, penis or butt, are okay to use when not directed sexually at someone. So referring to someone's attack as "Strong vagina" is not something to make a big deal about in this game. Of course vagina is a word that can be used sexually, but it was not in this case. (And yes, that was the entirety of the sentence. Two words.) And sure someone can be offended by it, but so too can they be offended by 'sissy.' What threshold do we want to apply here? And if it's that low, will there be anyone left to play the game? lol. One thing you can elaborate on however: are you saying Mark knew Mordian was a lady with no sense of humor before she got him banned? I agree your recommendation above could have been an option if that were the case. Let me know.

Even if the above is not common sense to you, this is not the supermarket or a tea house. This is an anonymous online game where jokes, memes, and taunts are everywhere. We actually KILL people in this game, we set things on fire! Fire! FIRE!!! And we say such childish catchphrases all the time. Maybe you don't hear that one often, but perhaps rustling your jimmies you've heard of? Unlike "strong vagina", "rustling your jimmies" actually has a sexual connotation to it, since it refers to some type of action having been taken upon said body part. It's part of the normal lexicon in this community. So if someone told you your jimmies were rustled, or maybe that you exhibited strong vagina (or maybe a REAL insult: weak vagina), would a person in this game rise up all a-flutter and run straight to the internet police yelling harassment? Good lord I'd hope not. And keep in mind, the person's level 70 and has been around this game a while, lol.

No, to me this sounds like nothing more than what it actually looks like: someone got hit hard at their castle, when they sent retaliation they lost that army too, and to then get a taunt message in the inbox after that... was simply too much. We've all been there, but let's not make more of this than what it was: her little way of revenge. She might even have been laughing while she did it, who knows.

As far as war goes, it's a war game and that's what you are supposed to do in Goodgame Empire. It doesn't take a bad action or good action to get warred on, sometimes it only takes getting noticed. It's not fun for the losing side sometimes, but it's what the game is about so: let's not complain about people doing war in a war game.

I personally will not be rude to someone in this game unless they've started on me. Even then I'm much more likely to help them make fun of myself. But in a game like this where identities are not known, I'm certainly not going to walk on eggshells wondering if someone is that sensitive to every catchphrase or meme I might utter.

Common sense, we need some more of it :)
    manateesharkjpeg

Manatee @ usa 1
    My ideal method of suicide: climbing Ultimo's ego and jumping to his IQ
    edited 27.09.2014
    Manatee wrote:
    This is an anonymous online game where jokes, memes, and taunts are everywhere.

Right on - good post, Manatee.
  • mark klingermark klinger Posts: 18
    edited 27.09.2014
    LOL at this thread being started and then third parties adding to what I actually said in the message. It was one sentence with no "curse" words. People have said worse to me and I never went running to support. So great for Nanatuckets, they got what they wanted, I sent for neutral this morning. I never said anything about farming anyone of them, nor did I say anything to them besides the now infamous "V" word. And since this was about me...and not DT, KoN or MISC....who did they get drug into this thread yet again??? I sent someone an ill-fated message and got banned. Why did DT, KoN and MISC get called bullies..lol? I said it to a supposedly "elderly" lady and they get labled for my actions....WOW.
  • LadycharLadychar Posts: 150
    edited 27.09.2014
    Nor would I expect anyone to go around walking on eggshells. Just to use some common sense. While you don't consider to be called a strong vagina having sexal conotations other people do. It is a matter a perspective. The fact the GGE banned the player of this comment shows that they share our persective on the matter. Children do play this game. So, it is inappropriate to send this kind of message if you don't know who you are sending it to. No matter how you try to condone the actions. What a person says within their alliances and with their friends and allies is one thing. I realize that the person probably didn't mean any true harm by the comment, but good judgement wasn't used. Mark klinger's orginal attack on Mordian was defeated by support she received from the Nanuckets and her setup. She sent out an attack to Mark to return the favor fully expecting that she would lose. All a part of the game. So the offense to her was not losing the attack. Mordian has lost attacks before and has never been offended by her defeat. What is so wrong about apologizing when you have offended someone even if you didn't mean to?
    Lady Char ,always a lady :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited 27.09.2014
    Well said, LadyChar. Just my opinion, of course, but I do think there is a middle ground here - not being intentionally offensive, and not walking on eggshells, either.

We live in a fast-changing world, with memes and phrases surging and seething all around us, and as you said - it is a matter of perspective.
  • Daniel DegudeDaniel Degude Posts: 1,645
    edited 27.09.2014
    everything is perspective.

as it was said, one man's hitler is another man's churchill, and vice versa.
  • MadDog54 (US1)MadDog54 (US1) Posts: 28
    edited 27.09.2014
    Not really the same thing, but this one time I passed a big Cadillac on a lonely Texas highway, and when I got alongside it, the driver - a white-haired old lady - shook her fist at me, and by her expression you could tell that she was absolutely wishing death upon me.

She did that because you passed her with your 1 horsepower buckboard
    MadDog @ usa 1
Sign In to comment.