Home Players ask Players

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

On the subject of 'Hacks' and 'Free Rubies'

CM ArcanineCM Arcanine Posts: 4,626
edited 04.07.2015 in Players ask Players
Hey everyone,

It's come to my attention that there seems to be a message going around at the moment within Empire, advertising people to get 'free rubies' by visiting a website for a hack.

These 'hacks' for browser games (not just our own) have been around for a long time now, promising users free rubies, levels and so on in exchange for your account details and the downloading of a program.

Now this might seem all well and good, but the thing is, these don't actually work, and can be harmful to your computer and privacy. Here are a few points of explanation as to why:

They can't change anything on our server. If a 'hack' even does anything related to the game, all it will do is change the numbers on your client side software, directly in your browser. Even if it shows a higher amount of coins or rubies, they aren't actually there. When you try and spend them, you will be told you do not have the funds as all this 'hack' will have done is change the numbers on your side.

They just want your login details. The majority of these 'hacks' will ask you for your account details, most likely to log in through the program as it promises to place the currency in your account. As soon as you enter your details, the program will send your details to a database where basically anyone with access can get a hold of your password and do anything they want with it, not just in Empire. This isn't even the worst outcome as...

It could contain a Trojan. Trojan viruses work just like the legendary wooden horse they're named after. Disguised as something that can benefit you, the program actually could contain a virus/malware, and perhaps even software that allows a third party to take control of your PC and all of your data contained on it.

They might get you banned. Even though they don't work, the attempted use of any such cheats and hacks are against our terms and conditions and could result in your account being permanently or temporarily banned. The risk simply isn't worth it.

I hope this has cleared a few things up about these 'hacks' for you, and I hope that you can stay safe in the future. Make sure to tell your friends and alliance members about this too, and look after each other out there!

Regards,

Steve.
Post edited by CM Arcanine on

Comments

• Muqsit (INT1)Muqsit (INT1) Posts: 1,433
    edited 24.07.2014
    Thanks so much for telling.. I was about to make the same thread to warn guys.. Glad u made it
  • CM ArcanineCM Arcanine Posts: 4,626
    edited 24.07.2014
    Rdrnnr wrote: »
    Steve, you left out the possibility of someone actually hacking your servers and changing your database...

While you may protest your security is strong enough to prevent this, you would be incorrect in that assumption. Any security can be compromised by someone that knows what they are doing, and the simple fact that your client side software interacts with your servers leaves the door open...

In case you are curious, I deal with server/database security as part of my job, and while I can guarantee that our security is considerably stronger than yours, the possibility of unauthorized access is always present and we are continuously on guard against it. Even with this, security breaches and leaks still happen.

Now then, a simple, downloaded program will most likely not be able to access your systems, but you can't definitively say that it can't be done.

There is a very very slim chance that this could ever happen. Even so, in the outcome of something like this, none of our users data would be at risk as a lot of it is not stored in our databases, so there's no chance of individual users coming to harm.

If this were to happen, it would affect the entire server and we would be aware of it/let everyone know that this has occurred.

Regards,

Steve.
  • Tux (AU1)Tux (AU1) Posts: 5,237
    edited 24.07.2014
    Arcanie I have to say you are wrong...

It is IMPOSSIBLE to hack your servers. GGS has state of the art anti hacking tech. And a company that big would probably put the servers in their own HQ only controled by someone in the building. To hack the servers you need to be a super tech nerd and an ex-KGB agent.

Plus I'm impressed Arcanie. You are the first person I have seen using level 2 computer vocabulary this year. :)
    Part of something as Tux
    Proud Warzoner.....Warzone 2100...
    I use Linux!

Proud Crown Prince Paladin of The Alliance Imperium

Tux101 @ Canada1 #TheDreamLivesOn! Seriously. MAKE ONE
    Tux @ au 1 ~ ???
  • georgethebunnygeorgethebunny Posts: 7
    edited 24.07.2014
    Tux3 wrote: »
    To hack the servers you need to be a super tech nerd and an ex-KGB agent.

Tux3--after communicating with other players and reading through numerous threads in the forum, I'm convinced there are plenty of super-tech nerd ex-KGB among us. :)
    I'm just on a journey. As are we all.

georgethebunny @ usa 1
  • dueltheabdul (INT1)dueltheabdul (INT1) Posts: 1,715
    edited 24.07.2014
    I think USA1 is the server that has to deal with the most "hacks" and advertisers. In my game-play time in international 2 I have never seen a message like that.

But in USA1, although i am not that active, I have received 3 separate messages advertising hacks and so on.
    Please call me abdul Thanks

abdul @ International 2
    abdul @ canada1
    #thedreamliveson

The nice guy that attacks you and then sends resources. ^^ ----> Not anymore

A proud non-ruby player

Winner of 3 Nobility Contests, soon to be 4 (hopefully) :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tux (AU1)Tux (AU1) Posts: 5,237
    edited 25.07.2014
    Tux3--after communicating with other players and reading through numerous threads in the forum, I'm convinced there are plenty of super-tech nerd ex-KGB among us. :)

Who? Me? :evil:

Hehehehe.....
    Part of something as Tux
    Proud Warzoner.....Warzone 2100...
    I use Linux!

Proud Crown Prince Paladin of The Alliance Imperium

Tux101 @ Canada1 #TheDreamLivesOn! Seriously. MAKE ONE
    Tux @ au 1 ~ ???
  • kyl2003mei (NL1)kyl2003mei (NL1) Posts: 50
    edited 25.07.2014
    CM Arcanine
    would not you propose to make a report button for k get emails that I can not see because I can not specify screen shot so I get those mails and can not indicate you can imagine .
    kyl2003mei @ nl 1
  • CM ArcanineCM Arcanine Posts: 4,626
    edited 25.07.2014
    kyl2003mei wrote: »
    CM Arcanine
    would not you propose to make a report button for k get emails that I can not see because I can not specify screen shot so I get those mails and can not indicate you can imagine .

Hey kyl2003mei,

You can report these players to our Support Team via the link provided there. If you do not know how to take a screenshot, feel free to PM me and i'll gladly explain it to you :)

Regards,

Steve.
  • LordOttoLordOtto Posts: 15
    edited 25.07.2014
    On a lesser note..

a player by the name of 'system-support' is spamming a lot of folk with this message:

Good day. We were informed the forum that violate the rules. You have a complaint you must check the account. Came new themes for FAQ services and I must enter the password from your account so I can check it and make sure they do not infringe the rules. If you refuse to give me your password, your account will be sold to support and automatically removed. Thank comprehension.

Nice try. lol.
    LordOtto @ en 1
  • kyl2003mei (NL1)kyl2003mei (NL1) Posts: 50
    edited 25.07.2014
    just do not give your password because the real owners can profile WHEN they want
    kyl2003mei @ nl 1
  • Aldrin5379 (US1)Aldrin5379 (US1) Posts: 10
    edited 25.07.2014
    I have a suggestion...I would post this in the right forum but this tread deals with these 'hacks' so I'm putting it here, don't quote this and say "This is in the wrong Forum" okay?

Okay, it seems to me that these messages are coming from a small group of players, possibly the same ones with different accounts. GGE could simply add a function similar to the one that stops cuss words that prevents more than say, 10, messages going out an hour or something like that. That won't stop them (It would just slow them down a bit) But by then players could report them and they would be banned before they could do anything else. I'm guessing bans are ip based, but they could use proxies, so none thing would really stop them besides having every message screened (which is a waste of GGE resources) So Pretty much all we could do is raise awareness that these don't work (with thing like this tread, or perhaps putting a link to this tread in the Game Notices) to stop players from messing up their accounts/computers. SO I guess since my suggestion wouldn't help very much that my new suggestion would be to put a notice against these 'hacks' in the game notices that appear when you first log in. Anyways, I think that this certain 'hack' is over with, I'm guessing everyone that's gonna get a message like that already got it and the'll stay down for a while. I've only gotten 3 or so such messages since I started playing, so it's not an often occurrence.
    Lvl 62 The Ravenger, two year player

Aldrin5379 @ usa 1
  • Barnacleez (US1)Barnacleez (US1) Posts: 2,833
    edited 28.07.2014
    Thank you, CM Arcanine, for responding to this.
    I had about 12 of those free ruby things in my mail before I gave up GGE for Lent.
    Barnacleez the Avenger @ Kindle Fire 4.5.5
    [email protected] usa 1
    Contact Support here.
    Comedy is my partial life. Nerdiness is the other 99.99% of it.
    If this is a game where the player gender doesn't exist, then why does 'King' and 'Baronet' exist?
    Don't click here.
    Level: 34 Honor: 1,234
    Neutral in the server war, currently supporting TORCHERERS

• TheCharlesy (GB1)TheCharlesy (GB1) GB1 Posts: 5
    edited 30.07.2014
    I had this message sent from both Cinox and Vip3r:
    Free Rubies!
    2500 rubies, 6500 rubies, 15000 rubies, 32000 rubies + bonus, 50000 rubies + bonus

~~~~Proof video:~~~~SEE IT!
    facebook[.]com/video/embed?video_id=1448590148737756

~~~~Download~~~~
    hack-pro[.]com/goodgame-empire-hack/

Delete [ ]
    TheCharlesy @ EN 1
    Level 39
    Leader of Anglo Alliance, where everyone is welcome.
  • Mladen94SrbMladen94Srb Posts: 1
    edited 01.08.2014
    Can somebody help me? Where i can report players for this? I receive some messages about this. :/ I want they get ban. :)
    Mladen94Srb @ WWW 2
  • PWN22PWN22 Posts: 43
    edited 01.08.2014
    Can somebody help me? Where i can report players for this? I receive some messages about this. :/ I want they get ban. :)

Truth is, most pro hackers don't just go up to people and say, (''Oh Hi im a hacker, you can report me, Heres my details....)
    PWN2 @ au 1
    20.jpg
  • PWN22PWN22 Posts: 43
    edited 01.08.2014

Truth is, most pro hackers don't just go up to people and say, (''Oh Hi im a hacker, you can report me, Heres my details....)
    PWN2 @ au 1
    20.jpg
  • hge3hge3 Posts: 155
    edited 02.08.2014
    Heh, what i do to hackers is i launch 300 man attacks on them till they are destroyed
    I have noticed how many people say that the game is impossible for non-ruby buyers to play. I am a non ruby buyer, but I have easily gotten to level 69, and I have 2 very built up 8 food op's and 1 very built up 6 food op. i also have a nice castle in ice, sands, and fire with Rv's. It is quite possible to play the game if you are not a ruby buyer.

Looking for good players for my alliance on USA1. Message hge in-game or hge3 on forum.

hge @ usa 1
  • christhoperchristhoper Posts: 4
    edited 02.08.2014
    Today, 2/08/2014. Successful texted twice to make purchases via SMS Rubies (Buynow via SMS), but there is no confirmation of this makes CODE Rubies I can not get into the game (Goodgame Empire) I ... question, whether my money was deducted?
  • ForestalCone (AU1)ForestalCone (AU1) Posts: 11
    edited 05.08.2014
    HGE3

GGS might be greedy but the staff in the forms are not GGS there staff for GGS there not the owners they dont make the call to say we need to make more money
    ForestalCone @ au 1
Sign In to comment.