Home English (UK) Players ask Players

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Attack and defense tactics

RulerMooreRulerMoore Posts: 8
edited 28.06.2014 in Players ask Players
Im really confused about attacking and defending, Im a lvl 57 and sometimes I get hit and get beat up bad, loaded with tools 2k troops and still i kill 200 and loose 2k troops wtf im not understanding how this works. can anyone help me out here?
Post edited by RulerMoore on
RulerMoore @ usa 1

Comments

• edited 07.07.2013
    they must have;better units
    ;better tools
    ;better commander
    ;and more attackers
  • DClucasDClucas Posts: 159
    edited 07.07.2013
    It is probably down to poor defence setup, not lack of troops and tools. Defence setup should be 100-0-0/0-0-100 for when you go offline (or 0-100-0 if you have very strong gate castellan). Most defeats usually are caused by having all 3 flanks open as it is very easy to crash through them and getting a bonus at the keep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Who said there should be more ways to get rubies and coins?

Level 60 :)
    International 2
    Alliance: Black Legion
  • RulerMooreRulerMoore Posts: 8
    edited 07.07.2013
    ok but if i spy first then the combat report comes back with question marks all over it, why? I have vets I use rubys?
    RulerMoore @ usa 1
  • RulerMooreRulerMoore Posts: 8
    edited 07.07.2013
    that is the tactic i use allot, it does help but im still being out classed it really discouraging. especially when a massive alliance jumps on you for attacking a team one time of a similar size. There is allot to be desired in the info on tools. I just cant Pictor how this all works, as soon as i think i got it i dont.
    RulerMoore @ usa 1
  • SPARTA23SPARTA23 Posts: 271
    edited 07.07.2013
    Did you use rubies and the merchant to level up really fast? Because if you go the normal rate you can learn more about defense/attack tactics.Also if you can't get an accurate enough espionage report ( ones in which you can easily assume what defenders are if something is unknown ) then simply do not take the chance and just choose some other target. If you do take that chance , you are just wasting money on the game.
    SPARTA2 (used to be)@ usa1
    @asia1 (due to entertaining chaos)
    How to kill an innocent table?
    (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻ buddy.gif
    That way.
  • Zoe TheroncrossZoe Theroncross Posts: 19
    edited 07.07.2013
    Not sure what your setup is but first, don't keep any attack soldiers at your main (do people play under the honor system of not attacking OPs in the Mobile version? If you hit an OP or RV in the PC version my entire alliance will descend upon you unless in times of war), keep them at an OP. Attack soldiers are worthless in defense and will often times all die if in the castle when attacked (even if you win the defense). In the same vein, when you go offline, if you plan on being gone for 12 hours, send your army to attack a robber baron castle 6 hours away so they are out of your castle in case you are attacked before you get back (if under attack, while the troops are inbound, send all attack troops out to attack RBs for the battle).

I have heard several theories on defense, some say 0-50-50, other 50-0-50,still others 0-100-10/100-0-0. The choice is yours and, if we were in alliance with each other, I'd give you my theories as to what I do and why. The goal is not necessarily to beat the attacker at the walls, it is to be fully intact at the keep. You don't want a -30% disadvantage in the keep, but good luck getting a true answer as to how that works- I've been playing with various combos for that for 8 months and haven't found one explanation that actually worked. For now, get to the keep with 100% of your defense troops intact. Then it comes down to numbers and calculations. You'll notice that the strength inequity between archers and cross-bowmen is greater than that of halbediers and two-handed swordsman (if the same as the PC version), and that crossbowman are best against halbediers while archers are best against crossbowman. This can get into a lengthy explanation, but if your enemy comes in heavy on your right flank with ranged soldiers (say 90/10 ranged/melee attack) and you have 50/50 ranged/melee defenders you will probably do okay (all things considered equal- no bonuses for equipment considered and assuming each are at their highest level). If you have 0/100 ranged/melee you will die badly, but if you are set at 90/10 you will probably fair well. what you don't want is to be overwhelmed by a force heavy with ranged attackers if you have all melee or vice verse be diverse.

finally, equipment is the name of the game. I've known guys who beat attacking forces of 1400 with defending forces of 500 because of equipment. They had incredibly strong equipment and the incoming commander focused primarily on their numbers. Getting a +30% bonus at the keep can be HUGE too, but like I said, good luck with that one. I've had it broken down very scientifically and followed the instructions an theory quite diligently in various applications and nada. The game makers have done a horrible job of explaining it and figuring out how it applies is like theoretical calculus. It really is unfortunate because it is so significant. If they wanted to say it was that indeterminable factor in war that nobody can grasp, fine. make it worth 10%. but 30? c'mon...

I'm not an authority and someone else may have better info, but that is the best understanding I have for you.
    Zoe Theroncross @ usa 1
  • ADITYA SINGH 01ADITYA SINGH 01 Posts: 59
    edited 07.07.2013
    you should keep your defensive setting 50-0-50 for bigger attacks by 500+ sols for lesser use 35-30-35 use 2 defensive rocks and 1 flame arrows for 1 wave and good eq bonus and you will be wining for sure expection if the attacker is has kg sols then you may lose depending on quality of attack
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ADITYA SINGH 01 @ INDIA
    LEADER:- DEVIL WILL CRY ALLIANCE
    LVL35 PRINCE
  • DoomsDay69DoomsDay69 Posts: 6
    edited 07.07.2013
    no i went at the normal rate, i use rubys for tools and slots , some times travel if coordinating. Idk i just don't know how to read the reports well. I spent allot of time building things without being attacked so i guess really i just haven't had the experience most ppl my lvl would have. are resource tools even worth using at all?
    DoomsDay69 @ usa 1
  • DoomsDay69DoomsDay69 Posts: 6
    edited 07.07.2013
    thank you for that one, and yes i think the makers did do a poor job explaining it too. Over complicated lot of variables with out allot of information.
    DoomsDay69 @ usa 1
  • marc58 (GB1)marc58 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 836
    edited 08.07.2013
    Hi may I add a question to this thread

A little confused if I should have tools on walls without troops ie if im using 100-100-0 should I have any tools on the right flank ?
    many thx
  • Pigsnout (US1)Pigsnout (US1) Posts: 68
    edited 08.07.2013
    I'm level 34 so I'm not really an authority but other than defense settings three more things I think worth mentioning:

Mantlets: 20 mantlets will reduce your ranged soldiers defense to 0 meaning that they do nothing. You can counter this with ruby/armorer defense tools/ a good commander but it should still be possible to put enough mantlets on to reduce your ranged soldiers to 0. So if you see a heavy mantlet ranged troop attack/ a single wave of this coming to your castle you will need a lot more mellee in your defense on the walls.

Castellan: A good castellan that specializing in ranged/mellee defense is amazing and will save your bacon against a good commander.

Troop no. : You can have enough defensive troops at your main to win any single defense. You can only attack with 1040 troops but you can defend with as many as you want so use that advantage and attack NPCs for the extra food.
  • AnnalouBAnnalouB Posts: 1
    edited 08.07.2013
    I'm sorry, what do you mean by 0-0-100 or 100-0-0?
    AnnalouB @ usa 1
  • clive100clive100 Posts: 391
    edited 08.07.2013
    Wall defence for soldiers like 100% soldiers on the right flank
    clive100 @ en 1
    PLAYER:
    Retired at level 55
    Last alliance: BSK AlliedOrder
    Last achieved glory rank: Duke
  • dev321dev321 Posts: 41
    edited 05.09.2013
    everybody real defending tacitc is 31-34-31
    dev321 @ in 1
  • risesheena (GB1)risesheena (GB1) Posts: 524
    edited 05.09.2013
    and what are you defending? robbers? :-)

you cant even set up a defence like that 31+34+31 is not equal to 100.
    risesheena @ en 1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UrbaneCrib0UrbaneCrib0 Posts: 494
    edited 06.09.2013
    Here's what I think, if a large attack is approaching from a higher level (One who can send bigger armies then you can defend) then you should use 100-0-0. You do this so the enemy doesn't win the +30%, what happens is that he most likely can't win the flank so it becomes a +0% bonus. Once he enters the keep it is a straight up duel giving you a much better chance.

If someone your level attacks you (Or lower) then use 50-0-50. You do this because you are trying to win 2/3 flanks for the 30% bonus. This is much better than 33-34-33 because the defense is spread out making you suffer the loss of more flanks.

Tip: This is what I use, 98-1-1. I find this amazing, just think of it as the 100-0-0. Besides the 2% difference all it does is let you win the other two (Or at least one more earning the 30% bonus) flanks if your enemy doesn't send troops in them. If you see an attack coming with an unoccupied or weak flank then switch up your defense so you defeat his weaker flanks and save the big one for the keep.
    UrbaneCrib0 @usa1, Proud Treasurer of "The Best" alliance... Victorious!

Who agrees with this suggestion:
    http://en.board.goodgamestudios.com/empire/showthread.php?80002-Change-the-quot-Seek-Enemies-for-Honor-quot-Button
  • Cedric the Red (US1)Cedric the Red (US1) US1 Posts: 268
    edited 13.02.2014
    OK, I have a question about this. I have a lot of powerful attack guys, like travelling knights up on the wall in the main castle. I would like to take them down to use in battle and put good defenders up there but I can't figure out how. If I click the military button and choose defense, it shows what my defense is and I can see what soldiers and how many are up there, but how do I take some down and put others up? I'm missing something here and I don't know what. Any help?
    Cedric the Red - TMK WarKings @ usa 1
    I am against the majority of updates made starting with the update that included the Auto-War Declaration, the Tribute Demands, Open Gate Looting of Resources, and Increased Construction Time for Building New, or Upgrading Existing Ruby Buildings. Please revoke and give us back our strategy game.

• cw6705883cw6705883 Posts: 1
    edited 17.02.2014
    Click on your castle gate and set up the defenses according to the attack. So if they are all coming at the gate, move the boundary's all at the gate to have your troops be all at the gate. Also its the troops u have. If u have 1000 spear men, 999 are probly going to die. But if you have veteran troops or longbow men, or Halberdier's, u will wont lose as much. So i hope that help.
    cw670588 @ usa 1
  • tresieltresiel Posts: 545
    edited 17.02.2014
    you should keep your defensive setting 50-0-50 for bigger attacks by 500+ sols for lesser use 35-30-35 use 2 defensive rocks and 1 flame arrows for 1 wave and good eq bonus and you will be wining for sure expection if the attacker is has kg sols then you may lose depending on quality of attack

lol yes.

Do this. On every attack
    Potato Crew
    Long live MISC
    ae57fcb8c00166c2ee85d8139d9467ac.png
  • I Shall Rise (US1)I Shall Rise (US1) Posts: 318
    edited 17.02.2014
    tresiel wrote: »
    lol yes.

Do this. On every attack

And don't forget to tell me if you plan on using said defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I Shall Rise @ usa 1

I vehemently detest the spy report update. Give us back our tool numbers on towers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file