Home English (UK) Players ask Players

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Maintenence work in progress right now

Comments

• jwebb98jwebb98 Posts: 72
    edited 19.12.2012
    I agree that they could have sent something out for those players who dont check the forum.
    DMorrow6 wrote: »
    "05:00 until 13:00 GMT+1."
    I shouldn't have to google a translation for a warning that obviously should have been imbedded in the game to start with.

I also had to google it. Makes no sense, just making it more complicated then it already is.
    jwebb98 @ usa 1
  • DMorrow6DMorrow6 Posts: 35
    edited 19.12.2012
    it's down till 7 est, 6cst, and 5pst

Thank you for the meaningful and useful facts. Otherwise, I'd still be hunting for a translation for "05:00 until 13:00 GMT+1."

GGS should hire you as their communications consultant.
    DMorrow6 @ usa 1
  • jwebb98jwebb98 Posts: 72
    edited 19.12.2012
    OT: but what level are you guys?
    jwebb98 @ usa 1
    edited 19.12.2012
    They're a German company, based in Germany. We as Americans aren't such hot stuff that everything has to be translated to suit us because we're to lazy to look up a simple time zone change.

no, it's a simple formating issue that they could *easily* program and automate. It's the same thing as when they sell you rubies... they're asking dollars, not deutchmarks or euros.
    DMorrow6 @ usa 1
  • iamJamesoniamJameson Posts: 14
    edited 19.12.2012
    True, in-game notifications would be nice. But what I don't get is why there is downtime at all. There is fault tolerant replication or double/triple modular redundancy (multiple identical systems operating in parallel) that would eliminate server downtime. But maybe that's a technology not yet attained by the GoodGame developers.
    iamJameson @ usa 1
    Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk.
  • curlbrah (US1)curlbrah (US1) Posts: 1,358
    edited 19.12.2012
    thanks for starving 1k of my troops to death gge.
    curlbrah @ usa 1
  • Colt442Colt442 Posts: 2,168
    edited 19.12.2012
    curlbrah wrote: »
    thanks for starving 1k of my troops to death gge.

You don't know that yet they may of stopped time they do that sometimes
    20a6j54.gif
  • edited 19.12.2012
    Morning all,

Whilst i appreciate the comments about their being an ingame message, the whole point of the forum is for us to communicate with you about the game and to allow you to discuss it. We are looking at getting a system set up to allow us to send ingame messages, but i have no idea when that will happen. In this case we were only informed of the downtime yesterday since it is out of our control.

As for the time zone issue, as was pointed out, we are a German company based in Germany. The times for updates are always posted in our local time since it would be far too complicated and time consuming to list it for ever country in their own local time. It's really not that hard to figure the time out if you know what time zone you are in.

Malreyn
  • Sean SwartzSean Swartz Posts: 7
    edited 19.12.2012
    Wow ,really ,i spend good money to play this game ,and i believe you should not only have sent a mass in game message ,you as a company should make and take the time to set up the time translation to avoid any more events like this that take away from the game time of those who choose to spend their time and money to play this game ,its sad actually ,I hope you guys have a merry Christmas, Because your gift of the explanation of why you cant do the time translation >>>>>"The times for updates are always posted in our local time since it would be far too complicated and time consuming to list it for ever country in their own local time."<< is truly a joke ,Ever heard of Google ? lol :D P.s. lots of people only go to the forum for answers to questions or problems ,i look at the forum alot but not daily ,after you play a while make some friends in game ,only reason for forum is if i have a question no one can answer
    Sean Swartz @ usa 1
  • edited 19.12.2012
    Wow ,really ,i spend good money to play this game ,and i believe you should not only have sent a mass in game message ,you as a company should make and take the time to set up the time translation to avoid any more events like this that take away from the game time of those who choose to spend their time and money to play this game ,its sad actually ,I hope you guys have a merry Christmas, Because your gift of the explanation of why you cant do the time translation >>>>>"The times for updates are always posted in our local time since it would be far too complicated and time consuming to list it for ever country in their own local time."<< is truly a joke ,Ever heard of Google ? lol :D

Sean Swartz,

Not everybody that plays on the American server is actually American or even living in America. Since there is 6 time zones for the USA, and atleast a handful or others, it is almost impossible for us to translate it into the local time zones for every player. The majority of regular forum visitors will be used to the update times by now and will most probably already know what time it is for them.

Malreyn
  • SenoraButterfly (US1)SenoraButterfly (US1) US1 Posts: 452
    edited 19.12.2012
    I don’t care about the time zone just Google “what time is it in Germany”. Look at the time and do a little math.

What I would like is a five-minute warning. I was in the middle of sending food to my troops because I had one-hour supply left.:cursing:
    SenoraButterfly @ usa 1 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
  • edited 19.12.2012
    Why..........................................I have like 150 soldiers in my castle....they are going to starve to death.....they're suppose to attack right now
    edited 19.12.2012
    Why..........................................I have like 150 soldiers in my castle....they are going to starve to death.....they're suppose to attack right now

In your castle or on there way to do battle whats the difference if ya don't have enough food in the castle then ya don't have enough food to march & ya still don't know if they stopped time or not yet so don't start crying yet.
    20a6j54.gif
  • edited 19.12.2012
    i have tried it before. During the traveling knight event...i can only feed them for like 2 hours...then i send them to attack and it takes 5 hours..and they comeback alive
  • icepikaicepika Posts: 767
    edited 19.12.2012
    well, the logic is that the one who stay behind die first. It happen to me before.if you have troops at your castle, they die first then the one which is attacking
    icepika @ en 1
    edited 19.12.2012
    But regardless he doesn't know if they stopped time or not they could be just fine for all he knows
    20a6j54.gif
  • HeroKushHeroKush Posts: 5
    edited 19.12.2012
    I hope they stoped time...

Would be real nice of them.
    HeroKush @ usa 1
    The Blades NG
    edited 19.12.2012
    HeroKush wrote: »
    I hope they stoped time...

Would be real nice of them.

It looks like they did for the most part
    20a6j54.gif
  • kilimankiliman Posts: 10
    edited 19.12.2012
    CM Malreyn wrote: »
    Morning all,

Whilst i appreciate the comments about their being an ingame message, the whole point of the forum is for us to communicate with you about the game and to allow you to discuss it. We are looking at getting a system set up to allow us to send ingame messages, but i have no idea when that will happen. In this case we were only informed of the downtime yesterday since it is out of our control.

As for the time zone issue, as was pointed out, we are a German company based in Germany. The times for updates are always posted in our local time since it would be far too complicated and time consuming to list it for ever country in their own local time. It's really not that hard to figure the time out if you know what time zone you are in.

Malreyn

Hi Malreyn,
    Until you get the in-game announcement set up, perhaps even just directing users to a different web page during scheduled outages would be helpful. This alternate web page could have a simple message that maintenance is underway and the the game will be available again at hh:mm GMT time. Would cost little and could be immediately starting with the next scheduled outage.
    kiliman @ usa 1
    edited 19.12.2012
    CM Malreyn wrote: »
    Sean Swartz,

Since there is 6 time zones for the USA,

Malreyn

Its a USA server, use a standard US time zone like EST. If you can't figure out how to use your own messaging system, do you really expect 99+ million registered users to follow you to the forum, find an announcement, and all of them will understand GMT?

From the comments on this board, it's obvious that you've never done usability testing. Try googling it. The majority of software developers understand usability by now and will most probably already know how to do it for themselves.

I guarantee a small sample usability test would do wonders in opening your eyes to the frustration you cause users. Just take 5 users in 10 minute sessions. With less than an hour invested, you will start to see the light.
    DMorrow6 @ usa 1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file