Home English (UK) Strategy & Tactics Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Humpers' Empire Guide: Tools and Rubies

Comments

• Gaz The BossGaz The Boss Posts: 521
    edited 09.12.2012
    If u only have festival squares as decoration it is definetely not worth demolishing your town houses, as they give 30% extra population at no extra po loss, and also your very high po wont go much higher even if u put more festivals
    Gaz The Boss @ en 1
  • Real Slim ShadyReal Slim Shady Posts: 189
    edited 10.12.2012
    I did the experiment !! I have the photos here. This is being posted again because the links in my other post didn't work and maybe someone will miss them if i just use edit. I sent 12 bowman against 10 archers. I spied with 100% accuracy, and saw 10 archers in the middle. I put 1 longbowman in the middle with 20 mantlets. I couldn't send the attack because it said i needed at least 12 soldiers so i added 11 more longbowman in the right flank so the lonely longbowman will not get any more power to defeat the archers, and thus the 11 extra longbowman will not have any effect on the one longbowman in the middle flank. I lost honor because he was a low leveled player. Everything i said is clearly visible in each picture. Here they are:
    http://prntscr.com/ltmz6
    http://prntscr.com/ltn9z
    http://prntscr.com/ltnco
    http://prntscr.com/ltnga
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Guess who's back ;)
    Back again :D
    Shady's back !
    Tell a friend 8)
  • Bat88Bat88 Posts: 39
    edited 11.12.2012
    Hi Humpers,

I read your guide and I really like it but I have one question. What do you think is the best default defensive setup when offline? I am having a hard time deciding if 98-1-1 is best or 49-1-50. Also, what tools should be set up by default and the ratio? 50/50 with a mix of wall and ranged defender tools? I prefer not to use all armory tools because of how expensive they are but I do have a set of fire moats in all of my castles and I have plenty of the cheap ruby tools. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bat
    Bat88 @ usa 1
  • Humpers2Humpers2 Posts: 166
    edited 11.12.2012
    Thanks for commenting bat.

To consider whether 100-0-0 or 50-0-50 is better (98-1-1 and 49-1-50 should only be used with defending RVs due to a glitch that means you can't have any 0s on any flank or risk losing the RV whatever happens) it is important to consider how many troops you are likely to have defending it and lose on each flank. The idea behind 50-0-50 is that IF both flanks are defended than you will get a +30% bonus in the keep.

This has caused a lot of debate since when you are offline you cannot necessarily assume the type of attack that will hit.

It also depends on whether your castles/OPs are fully built in terms of towers.

In general I would recommend 50-0-50 for any castles which are fully built (with 260 men on the walls, since 130 men on each flank should be able to destroy the enemy attackers who will be attacking in groups of roughly 50).

A level 3 towered castle will only have 200 men so I'd recommend going all 200 on one flank-you will take very few losses on the flank but if you were to have 100 men on the flank you risk losing that flank and going -30% in the keep which can be devastating.

In short the level 4 towers are critical to a 50-0-50 defense.

As to armourer tools being left in when offline this can be an issue due to ''tool-cleaners'' but there is not a lot that can be done about it. I am not aware of your circumstances, ie if you get a lot of pile-up attacks but in general I'd leave at least 12 of your best tools and DEFINITELY fire moats in each slot possible. Fire moats in particular mean that attackers on the flank will not be able to use either a) ranged bonus tools b) moat tools or c)wall tools.

As a side point I'd recommend skewering your defensive mix more towards melee ie leaving your flanks at 60% melee, 40% ranged (if you have no ranged def bonus defensive tools), since if they then attempt to really destroy your ranged defenders with mantlets, your melee troops will receive a bonus and in fact melee troops have an effective defense stat against ranged attackers, especially with a significant bonus. On the other hand ranged defenders cannot do anything if their effect has been cancelled out with shield walls etc.

I hope this helps!

As to when to use tools though that is basically your choice but I would say it is best to leave a few armourer tools in offline. (If you're short on tools in general you can always stick in basic ruby tools and go 100-0-0 but this is a defense that will be hurt bad by an armourer tooled up attack!).

Any more questions or anything you don't understand from what I've said be sure to fire them back at me.
    Humpers @ en 1
  • Bat88Bat88 Posts: 39
    edited 11.12.2012
    Thanks for the reply!

I mentioned 98-1-1 and 49-1-50 instead of 100-0-0 and 50-0-50 because it causes the enemy to lose their tools on the other sections of the wall, if the defender loses the battle. However, it is probably best to use the former setup when offline when a defeat is more likely.

My concern with the 50-0-50 setup when offline is only when an attacker sends a full attack with armory tools. If someone sends boulders and shield walls with ranged soldiers in the first two waves, then it is impossible to defend against it using 50-0-50 (based on my experience). The only exception is if the defensive set-up was all melee or mostly melee with only wall tools and fire moats. The 100-0-0 set-up is more likely to be successful against that kind of attack. Someone could also send a ranged heavy attack with walls tools, boulders, and rams which would probably destroy the all melee and wall tool defensive set-up. This is my conundrum and why I am hesitant to use the 50-0-50 stance when offline. Most attacks will not be will full armory tools, but it is possible. Even 30 cast iron mantlets will reduce a ranged defender's D by 90 percent. Is it better to have two bulwarks/arrow slits with one wall tool by default when offline or is it better to have all of one type?

Bat
    Bat88 @ usa 1
    edited 13.12.2012
    Hi Bat, although 98-1-1 would mean they lose their tools, if their troops don't come home from a 100-0-0 defense they're not getting their tools anyway :) It may sound stingy and insignificant but plenty of times (really quite a few now) I've won attacks sent with over 800-900 men and come back with literally 1 heroic soldier-the same applies to defense, it can come down to very fine margins!

I think your point about armoury tools is a valid one and as it is all circumstantial on how many troops you have there, type of attacks you are expecting etc... if you think a full wave heavy load armoury take is very possible then 100-0-0 is better for the reasons you yourself already mentioned.

Simply put there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question 50-0-50 or 100-0-0. It will depend on the individual, but if in doubt I'd play it safe with 100-0-0.
    Humpers @ en 1
  • PokemonsushiPokemonsushi Posts: 1
    edited 13.12.2012
    Interisting. i will try it out sometime
    Pokemonsushi, Golden Warrior
  • Dun Gon (INT2)Dun Gon (INT2) Posts: 3,656
    edited 13.12.2012
    Humpers2 wrote: »
    Thanks for commenting bat.

To consider whether 100-0-0 or 50-0-50 is better (98-1-1 and 49-1-50 should only be used with defending RVs due to a glitch that means you can't have any 0s on any flank or risk losing the RV whatever happens) it is important to consider how many troops you are likely to have defending it and lose on each flank. The idea behind 50-0-50 is that IF both flanks are defended than you will get a +30% bonus in the keep.

This has caused a lot of debate since when you are offline you cannot necessarily assume the type of attack that will hit.

It also depends on whether your castles/OPs are fully built in terms of towers.

In general I would recommend 50-0-50 for any castles which are fully built (with 260 men on the walls, since 130 men on each flank should be able to destroy the enemy attackers who will be attacking in groups of roughly 50).

A level 3 towered castle will only have 200 men so I'd recommend going all 200 on one flank-you will take very few losses on the flank but if you were to have 100 men on the flank you risk losing that flank and going -30% in the keep which can be devastating.

In short the level 4 towers are critical to a 50-0-50 defense.

As to armourer tools being left in when offline this can be an issue due to ''tool-cleaners'' but there is not a lot that can be done about it. I am not aware of your circumstances, ie if you get a lot of pile-up attacks but in general I'd leave at least 12 of your best tools and DEFINITELY fire moats in each slot possible. Fire moats in particular mean that attackers on the flank will not be able to use either a) ranged bonus tools b) moat tools or c)wall tools.

As a side point I'd recommend skewering your defensive mix more towards melee ie leaving your flanks at 60% melee, 40% ranged (if you have no ranged def bonus defensive tools), since if they then attempt to really destroy your ranged defenders with mantlets, your melee troops will receive a bonus and in fact melee troops have an effective defense stat against ranged attackers, especially with a significant bonus. On the other hand ranged defenders cannot do anything if their effect has been cancelled out with shield walls etc.

I hope this helps!

As to when to use tools though that is basically your choice but I would say it is best to leave a few armourer tools in offline. (If you're short on tools in general you can always stick in basic ruby tools and go 100-0-0 but this is a defense that will be hurt bad by an armourer tooled up attack!).

Any more questions or anything you don't understand from what I've said be sure to fire them back at me.

With 200 men, I have gone 50-0-50 and not lost the flanks. I only used fire arrows. One time I tried using fire arrows (In all slots on one flank) and fire arrows in 2 slots with stone throwing in another. He sent equal number of troops on both flanks, yet I lost the one with stone throwing in one flank, not fire arrows in all flanks :)
    Dun Gon @ WWW 2
    Retired from duties in September 2015.

Once Leader of Phoenix Sword and the once prominent alliance empire, Phoenix. Proud member of now collapsed OU. All organizations mentioned above have collapsed or merged into other prominent alliances since. Co-founder of the Force family.

"I have seen many wars fought through my four years on this server. I have seen families rise and fall. I have been members of prominent organizations in International 1 and International 2, and have played in United States 1 with my forum buddies as well. It has shown me many things, but mainly that every action that is partaken in this game and in the world can only be deemed right or wrong depending upon your perspective. Never pass the blame, fight hard to succeed. As a non-ruby player, I managed to create and nurture not one but two of the most successful alliance families in International 2. Believe, there is always another path. Success is determined by the amount of effort you are willing to put in"
  • Chilly59Chilly59 Posts: 11
    edited 15.12.2012
    Hello there, i'm playing for a couple of days now and i have a quest where i need 3 espionage military and 1 economic..

i dont know what an economic espionage is and how i do it....

pls help me out...
    thanks
    Chilly59
    Chilly59 @ nl 1
  • Chilly59Chilly59 Posts: 11
    edited 15.12.2012
    Ok forget it..
    i finally found it, just had to use my eyes..

hehe
    Chilly59 @ nl 1
    edited 15.12.2012
    No worries Chilly, this guide will hopefully help you as you progress, any more questions please post away.
    Humpers @ en 1
  • foxtrotcrusherfoxtrotcrusher Posts: 1
    edited 15.12.2012
    ~(_8^(I) Hehehehehehehe
    foxtrotcrusher @ usa 1
  • jema3 (US1)jema3 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,104
    edited 15.12.2012
    Can I ask how would you attack against a defense that was 100-0-0? If you want to win the battle (This is Robber Baron), do you go where they are not, or face them head on?
    jema3 @ usa 1
    edited 15.12.2012
    That depends entirely on the exact spy report... depends on tools and how many troops you can attack the 100-0-0 set up, sometimes its best to load attackers in the other two flanks and take 0% at the keep, sometimes to take them on the flank if you can use mantlets.
    Humpers @ en 1
  • jema3 (US1)jema3 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,104
    edited 15.12.2012
    Humpers2 wrote: »
    That depends entirely on the exact spy report... depends on tools and how many troops you can attack the 100-0-0 set up, sometimes its best to load attackers in the other two flanks and take 0% at the keep, sometimes to take them on the flank if you can use mantlets.

This is low level. They have 10 unknown soldiers at the right flank. I guess I will try to go into the unmanned sides to keep my troops. I don't have mantlets or even know what those are.
    jema3 @ usa 1
    edited 16.12.2012
    Hi jema, they are tools whose function is explained in part 1 of the guide. They are unlocked with siege workshop level 2. My advice is to get a better accuracy spy so you know whether to send melee or ranged attackers (macemen or crossbowmen).
    Humpers @ en 1
  • Lady GlymmirhLady Glymmirh Posts: 87
    edited 16.12.2012
    for me at least, the fire station should be a good investment once i upgrade to at least level 2. it could b the time zone differences, but i always seem to b attacked when i'm offline, when i cant beef up my defences. or invest in open gate.
    Lady Glymmirh @ WWW 1
    "....i see....a pot of gold! yes, right there in your kingdom. ooh, don't mind if i help myself, do you?" :p
    17.jpg
  • Kram67Kram67 Posts: 1
    edited 17.12.2012
    This is really useful. Pity it's not more accessible to complete novices like me.
    Kram67 @ en 1
  • James SkinnerJames Skinner Posts: 8
    edited 17.12.2012
    nice cat mate
    James Skinner @ en 1
  • somleanusomleanu Posts: 1
    edited 20.12.2012
    This guide is great, thanks a lot!
    somleanu @ en 1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji