Home English (UK) Strategy & Tactics Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Sabotage

I have seen a lot of people asking about sabotage, fires and burning other people. To be quite brutally honest, these sadistic questions from pyromaniacs are driving me nuts.

I want to give everyone in the game a tip: sabotage is bad.

Now, I could go on about how damaging it is to the one who gets sabotaged, but that's kind of the point. People do it to hurt other people, cruel as that is. So I'm going to explain why it hurts the one who sends the sabotage.

1. Sabotage wastes agents

Agents, spies, call them what you will, are being wasted. You can do an espionage whether on a RBC or a player, whether economic or military. Unless your spies are busy doing sabotage. Which is more useful? Temporarily damaging your opponents, or gaining important and useful information to defeat both NPCs and players? Definitely the second.

2. Sabotage costs coins

It's as simple as that. Sabotage costs coins. Okay, yes, maybe most high levels have more coins than they can use. But with glory banners and looting thingies, crafting new equipment and buying normal armourer equipment, coins are getting more useful. What if, in the next update, they announce that you can buy glory or XP or something important with coins, and you've wasted all yours trying to harm your neighbour? And if you ever need coins - for a long horse journey or for a new, really expensive, coins-only building - you'll regret wasting these coins on sabotage. So don't do it.

3. Sabotage only angers opponents

If you get caught on a sabotage mission, your would-be-victim knows what you tried to do. And they'll take revenge, if they can. And if you've been attacking them, they're going to suspect that it's you. So don't sabotage the big players. And don't sabotage the small ones because they might be friends with the big ones (a lot of higher levels are trying to stop bullying these days :)). At least, if you want YOUR castle to stay fire-free.

4. No advantages. At all

What do you get from sabotage? It's not wood, stone or food, coins, rubies, troops or tools. You can't gain honour or glory, or get equipment. Sabotage won't earn you any XP, and you can't unlock anything from doing it. So what's the point?

Now, I won't go so far as to say that sabotage is useless. There are a very RARE occasions which may make it okay to sabotage someone. But they are tactical and special, and sabotage is not something you should do on a regular basis.

1. "Perform a sabotage with at least 50% damage - 30 achievement points" - I'm not going to stop anyone from getting a nice 30 achievement points. Not considering you just have to do a single sabotage. But try and find an inactive player to do it on. Not someone who might actually be effected by it.

2. To test how active a player is. Now, this probably isn't something you should do every time you want to attack a player, but if you want to capture their outpost, this is a handy trick. Sabotage them (in any castle/outpost), and see how long it takes them to put the fires out. If they don't put the fires out, you'll know it's safe to attack (presuming you have enough troops to get past the army).

3. When someone's broken the rules. If someone's broken the rules, report them to support, but take your own revenge as well. Sabotage them. Whether they've multi-accounted and support refused to listen, or whether they swore at you and made real life threats, sabotage them. Assuming, of course, that they can't get back at you.

Oh, and in that situation, see if you can get them kicked out of their alliance as well. :P

I think that's about it. Sabotage is terrible... for everyone except GGS. You see, I have a theory: Goodgame Studios get people to sabotage each other, burn each other, hurt each other, so people will buy more rubies to help themselves get back on their feet. Sad, but probably true.
BobFighter834 - International 2.

"It's not about the rubies, rubies, rubies
We don't need your rubies, rubies, rubies
We just wanna make the world dance
Forget about the price tag" - by Jessie J (sort of)

To contact support, you can:

1. Click here - http://support.goodgamestudios.com/
2. Click on "help" and "support" in-game (top-right of your screen - blue question mark)
3. Type "Goodgame Empire Support" into Google.
Post edited by BobFighter834 (INT2) on

Comments

• Uriel SeptimVIIUriel SeptimVII Posts: 256
    edited 17.02.2013
    Some valid points, but sabotage is especially useful during war of alliances or to keep a player busy from further attacking you; if you have a single individual one on one rivalry going on.

I would also like to add that this is opinion based not really a trick or tip. This should be located in: Suggestions, praise and criticism; as these are your feelings on the subject.
    "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."-Sun Tzu-[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • evets4evets4 Posts: 3,798
    edited 18.02.2013
    Like Uriel said, this isn't really a tip: it's your opinion on something.

I rarely use sabotage, but it can be a good tactic in wars.
    evets4 @ usa 1
    Retired From Goodgame Empire
    Coordinates: 715:639 | |
    (Former)General of The Impervious
    http://theimpervious.webs.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BobFighter834 (INT2)BobFighter834 (INT2) Posts: 2,762
    edited 18.02.2013
    to keep a player busy from further attacking you;

Am I missing something? Is it not possible to launch an attack while a fire is being put out?

Sabotage has no advantages. That doesn't change during war. Unless your aim is to make someone as miserable as possible (which is called "bullying"), sabotage does not help.

2. Click on "help" and "support" in-game (top-right of your screen - blue question mark)
    edited 18.02.2013
    Am I missing something? Is it not possible to launch an attack while a fire is being put out?

Sabotage has no advantages. That doesn't change during war. Unless your aim is to make someone as miserable as possible (which is called "bullying"), sabotage does not help.
    If you say so, I don't think you've been in a war yourself to fully understand how it works in an advantage. And I would share how that works, but I think you are too caught up in your on bias feelings about sabotage.
    "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."-Sun Tzu-[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited 18.02.2013
    If you say so, I don't think you've been in a war yourself to fully understand how it works in an advantage. And I would share how that works, but I think you are too caught up in your on bias feelings about sabotage.

I try to be as open-minded as possible, but I honestly can't see how sabotage could be useful in general. Try explaining.

• GhjHeroGhjHero Posts: 1,802
    edited 19.02.2013
    Nice thread!
    ALWAYS A MEMBER OF PARADISE
    #TheDreamLivesOn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boston Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions!!!!!
  • Molson Beer (US1)Molson Beer (US1) US1 Posts: 8,443
    edited 19.02.2013
    I try to be as open-minded as possible, but I honestly can't see how sabotage could be useful in general. Try explaining.

Ticks off your opponents.Angry opponents often make mistakes.

It also keeps castles warm,and it could bait the sabotage victim into spending his/her rubies on fixing the fires,instead of ruby tools or other battle advantages.
    edited 19.02.2013
    hanzolo5 wrote: »
    Ticks off your opponents.Angry opponents often make mistakes.

This isn't a game of chess. People have plenty of time to react in this game. If they realise they shouldn't have attacked or sent a spy, they have a few minutes to withdraw the attack. If they realise they shouldn't send that angry message, they have plenty of time to decide whether to click the green tick or the red cross.

Angry opponents are more likely to attack or ask for help to attack. And in my experience, that means more fires on YOUR castle, whether or not it wipes out their army.

• 123guy123guy Posts: 2,956
    edited 22.02.2013
    When you sabotage, they spend time repairing buildings instead of building/upgrading them. That slows down their levelling. It lowers public order which slows recruitment of troops and means their army is smaller.
    Retired from game, sorry if I answer a question with outdated information

[email protected], General of Ninth Legion, 78th in the alliance honour rankings.

Soon the empire world will be united under one banner...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited 22.02.2013
    123guy wrote: »
    When you sabotage, they spend time repairing buildings instead of building/upgrading them. That slows down their levelling. It lowers public order which slows recruitment of troops and means their army is smaller.

So you're saying to pick on weak players and stop them from leveling up? Because with any high level player, their buildings take days to upgrade, and a couple of fires aren't going to make much of a difference.

Okay, so it lowers public order by 50 (5 fires). That's rubbish! Unless you're picking on the low leveled or public order-impaired, it's not going to lower their PO by more than a percentage or two, and won't really stop them recruiting anything.

Plus, if they have enough coins and food, they can use feasts and then that tiny amount of PO lost will look even smaller. AND, it doesn't take long to put fires out (apart from maybe one on the keep or the estate), so it won't stop them recruiting anything for long.

• BarbellerBarbeller Posts: 6
    edited 23.02.2013
    I've seen mass attack sabotagues from alliances in wars. They do often work, as they take out a whole castle for a while, while the members of an alliance can just send a barrel of attacks. However, this only works if you know they aren't going to get support (in the circumstance of a medium-strong alliance, or wing, getting attacked by an alliance that only has one good player in it). It is kinda niche, but it is a use.

I must be honest, it makes me lol when people sabotague the top players, because it costs them rubies and there's nothing they can do back if the saboteur has really low honor.
    Barbeller @ WWW 2
    edited 23.02.2013
    Barbeller wrote: »
    I must be honest, it makes me lol when people sabotague the top players, because it costs them rubies and there's nothing they can do back if the saboteur has really low honor.

See, see, see - this is what I'm talking about. Even you, who I thought made your argument quite clearly and well, has that thing in them that makes them lol every time someone suffers.

It's not really funny if someone loses rubies (i.e. real money) due to some dumb troller. And the one who sent the sabotage in that case should watch out because the top player is likely to get revenge, whether they get one of their smaller friends to attack or whether they sabotage back.

Letting people use sabotage is like handing someone a dodgy gun. You need a few people combined to work out how to use it (one person firing madly won't do much damage at all), but once they figure out how to work it, they're gonna do some serious damage and make people die (rage quit). And then the stupid turds'll laugh at the poor remains of the victims.

• ResinRubberResinRubber Posts: 402
    edited 23.02.2013
    In Alliance wars Sab attacks can be used as an alternative to high level players attacking lower ones. It can be used to soften mid level players so they are at a production disadvantage against the Attacking Alliance's mid level players.

In can be useful during infiltration to pick sab attacks on vulnerable players from within at key moments.

I can think of a dozen instances where a sab is preferred. You want to send a message to a mid level player to lay off your newbs? Send a sab. It doesn't destroy troops but lets it be known they will suffer damage if it continues. Actually a much nicer message than a lvl 40 or 50 burning everything you own.

Your personal bias is skewing your perspective.
    ResinRubber @ usa 1
    Alliance: CamelotXcalibur
    Not buying Rubies at the moment
    edited 23.02.2013
    You want to send a message to a mid level player to lay off your newbs? Send a sab. It doesn't destroy troops but lets it be known they will suffer damage if it continues. Actually a much nicer message than a lvl 40 or 50 burning everything you own.

Okay, just send them an actual message. Surely a powerful, high-leveled player would be able to dissuade a mid-level just through threats and no actual sabotage. Having said that, I wouldn't object to a high level sabotaging in that situation if, and only if, they had already sent a polite message and then warned/threatened the player (nothing too harsh).

Someone sent me a message and explained how sabotage can be useful in a full-out war between alliances. I did start to see their perspective.

But I still think sabotage is bad overall. I've heard stories - people quitting the game solely because alliances thought it would be "fun" to mass sab. them. I've seen people on this forum casually LOLing at poor people being forced to leave the game - people I thought were nice. It's abused far too much.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 23.02.2013
    I'm with BobFighter on this. There are much better uses for your coin and spies.
  • AgentYAgentY Posts: 713
    edited 23.02.2013
    Last time i used sabotage when some low leveled person cussed at my leader. Level difference was too high and attacking without losing honor is impossible. So, we sabotaged him a lot. Then, two of our lower leveled players lowered honor and attacked.
    I think he learned his lesson
    LegionOfKillers

Not to be messed with

International 2
    My reaction when I look at my enemies' castles after I attack them:
    "Stop! It's too bright!!"
    My original and new event idea: http://en.board.goodgamestudios.com/empire/showthread.php?64214-The-Banished-King-New-Event&highlight=banished+king
    Also, please use the search engine. There are hundreds of threads on one topic.
    edited 24.02.2013
    i am sure he did, you guys made it very warm within his castle this winter. that is so kind
    edited 24.02.2013
    It's part of the game and many many players have found legitimate uses. Possibly not always to your, or my, liking. But legitimate none the less.

Warnings to players- Often times I've found myself attempting rational conversation with a testosterone addled 13 year old impervious to self preservation or the reality that he is soon going to find the $20 he spent on rubies and 10 hours online is about to be lost.

I've found it much more effective to do a simple torch with a message. If the player is mature or reasonable often a token of repair is sent to the sabbed player and a valuable game lesson taught. If they are a nasty foul mouthed little t##t. So be it. Release the lower level members on him and may god rest his soul.
    ResinRubber @ usa 1
  • SilentDeathSilentDeath Posts: 180
    edited 25.02.2013
    Yes but I find it so annoying, I mean I get sabotaged everyday and I still don't know who is doing it, I want to find and and attack them but they keep getting through my defense, I seriously don't know what they are trying to achieve. Maybe they are trolling me, but I find sab a bit annoying but it can be used as a alternative of attacking lower players.
    SilentDeath @ au 1
    Alliance: Trouble Maker
    Level: 41
    Honor: 1,500
    Ranking: 95

Nothing but a Trouble Maker .....
    edited 25.02.2013
    Yes but I find it so annoying, I mean I get sabotaged everyday and I still don't know who is doing it, I want to find and and attack them but they keep getting through my defense, I seriously don't know what they are trying to achieve. Maybe they are trolling me, but I find sab a bit annoying but it can be used as a alternative of attacking lower players.

Perhaps a further investment in guardhouses? You only need to catch one to figure it out. Really not that difficult.
    ResinRubber @ usa 1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file