Home English (UK) General Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Storm Islands Pause ...

Comments

• jamman (US1)jamman (US1) US1 Posts: 131
    Maybe a better question might be to ask why wouldn't new information about a major pause
    not show up in BOTH places ( here as well as on Discord ) at pretty much the same time?

Per the following timeline ...

1 - A teammate in my alliance notified us in Chat about the Discord announcement.

2 - Not seeing anything anywhere on this Forum about the Storm Islands pause, I went ahead
    and created a discussion thread here for folks who aren't part of the Discord audience.

3 - Nearly a day later, the Storm Islands pause was officially announced here on the Forum.

The time between #1 and #3 was more than a day. 

Again, why such a long delay?

And, also, why assume that everyone, or even a majority of players, are using Discord?

Is GGE planning on retiring this Forum and push everyone to move to Discord?

Inquiring minds need to know, eh?   B)

jamman @ usa 1
  • Lets just wait and see what actually changes before we go out on a limb calling it a bad update... The previous storm update got the same treatment but I think it's safe to say that update was a succes.
    Yes agreed.  We only seem to have the negative posts and not positive ones and as much as players feel ignored with their complaints it will be far more useful for this game provider to hear the good and the bad to see what we like (along with what we do not like) and they are doing well in a number of gaming aspects.  I like the updated Storm and they have listened it would seem by having construction items and sceats as rewards where these at top end 200k points are pretty achievable with activity.  That is to say for me they have refreshed an old format where I now see this as part of my gaming activity so thanks for that.

Storm has always allowed that movement of players at the end and yes that is a little frustrating although I am caught in two minds.  As much as it is nice to invite players in to share rewards I would not complain if it was BTH styled where the Alliance is fixed on the membership as at the start of the event.  I am guessing that will be a difficult update since players can of course freely join a different Alliance as they wish and their Storm points move with them but maybe some food for thought for the game provider.
    Andrew Wallace @ en 1
  • PoseidonPoseidon Moderator Posts: 2,259
    Maybe a better question might be to ask why wouldn't new information about a major pause
    not show up in BOTH places ( here as well as on Discord ) at pretty much the same time?

1 - A teammate in my alliance notified us in Chat about the Discord announcement.

2 - Not seeing anything anywhere on this Forum about the Storm Islands pause, I went ahead
    and created a discussion thread here for folks who aren't part of the Discord audience.

3 - Nearly a day later, the Storm Islands pause was officially announced here on the Forum.

And, also, why assume that everyone, or even a majority of players, are using Discord?

To answer your question, I am the only moderator on the forum and I also have a personal life to attend to.
    I was busy the morning the announcement was writing up, I posted it later that day. I would've posted it earlier if I had the time to do so.

And no, this forum is not going to get retired ;-)
  • Scandy (GB1)Scandy (GB1) GB1 Posts: 122
    edited 30.01.2021
    One thing that often strikes me as funny is how the prices in the event shops have little correlation to what players are ready to pay. I know it will differ greatly from player to player, but i doubt there will be many sceat's sold for 200,000 aqua - not because people aren't prepared to pay that much but in effect 119k of that has to come from aqua islands and it has to come whilst you really can't loot from forts and chasing forts is really not worth the effort for ONE sceat.

If GGE introduced the ability to make a downpayment on the item i think you'd see a LOT more activity from top players. To be honest for the big players - ruby buyers and big time looters who don't buy rubies any 1800 PO item might be nice but not something you'd spend a tonne of time chasing. A lot of players would never use it.

You can buy a 2300 PO item for 10750 rubies and it takes be me maybe 2 days to loot that many rubies net after i've paid all overseers, KL pass and my average use of 8% glory tools.

But if i could loot 10m aqua and get 50 sceats i might focus on it when there are so few sources of sceats.

There is right now nothing (except silver tokens)  for a top 50 (UK server player) to buy from the nomads shops, the storm shop, the blade coast shop, the shapeshifter shop and very little to buy from sams. 

There is no longer any equipment worth going hard in an event for as long as you've been a strong player in the last 12 months. You can't get a 150/150/120 PvP commander or cast through events and for anything else than PvP 135/135/110 is good enough.

One reason that events matter less is that the blacksmith has made all awards interchangeable. That was great in someways, but it is also a burden for the game in my opinion. Bring back something unique that is useful in each event - or if not unique at least a lot cheaper in one event than via the blacksmith. OR, BTH and KL have quaisi-unique awards. The other events need some of their own. 

My suggestion: BTH crafting material would be possible to buy ONE type each from Sams, nomads, storm, blade and the shapeshifter shops. and maybe leave fabric as the only one you can only get from BTH. Don't make it impossibly expensive but not so cheap its an attractive alternative to BTH. Increase the amount of fabric from BTH so that each material has the possibility of becoming a limiting factor for an active player.

• flug (NL1)flug (NL1) NL1 Posts: 1,814
    edited 30.01.2021
    I think we can all guess whats coming

Turn it into a clone of BtH etc where you can only get the worthwhile rewards by buying rubies
    by the feedback given on discord, I believe this update will be positive. Why you always gotta be negative before it's even arrived.. it's like saying you hate a type of food before you've even tasted it 
    but why is the information only given on discord?????
    It is not but the discord is far bigger than this forum, more questions are asked and there are more people who answer them. This simply results in there being more information on the discord server than here.
    so there is information ,only you have to do an interrogation on 1 of the discords :)
    flug @ nl 1

Turn it into a clone of BtH etc where you can only get the worthwhile rewards by buying rubies
    by the feedback given on discord, I believe this update will be positive. Why you always gotta be negative before it's even arrived.. it's like saying you hate a type of food before you've even tasted it 
    It is not but the discord is far bigger than this forum, more questions are asked and there are more people who answer them. This simply results in there being more information on the discord server than here.
    so there is information ,only you have to do an interrogation on 1 of the discords :)
    Well yes, there are no FAQ's on here other than the Knowledge thread, if you want to know something, ask around ;-)
    edited 31.01.2021
    PXA,

Certainly not blaming you for having a personal life in the real world!   o:)

As someone who has been in IT for 35+ yrs, and an admin for most of those yrs, I do wonder
    why they ( GGE ) make the Moderator MANUALLY create Forum posts of an important nature,
    like this pause in Storm Islands, in ADDITION to what has already been posted in Discord.

Certain system notices should be associated with what severity level they are, and then, for those
    above a certain severity level, they would  automatically be fed to various outlets ( e.g., this Forum,
    Discord, etc. ). Not even REMOTELY rocket science to make that happen, right?   :*

To make Moderators do, what is basically known as "double entry", would have gotten
    me reprimanded ( or worse ) a long time ago at the govt agency I've been working for
    ( and we're talking about "govt efficiency" which ain't that high of a bar to meet ).

OTOH, thanks, PXA, for all you do here to help keep us as sane as possible in a very insane
    ( i.e., "brave new" / "new normal" ) world!   B)

jamman
    jamman @ usa 1
    I honestly wish vanilla (the platform this forum runs on) would allow us to schedule or automatically send post.
    But unfortunately it's quite limited so I have to make due with what I have. Believe me when I say this, if there was a way, I would've found it ;-)

Posting the announcements can be quite tedious at times.
  • bernhardt (US1)bernhardt (US1) US1 Posts: 978
    The REAL question is why is some poor volunteer moderator the one that post announcements and is pretty much the only 'official' GGE presence on this the OFFICIAL GGE forums which are hosted by GGE themselves?  I would think that oh say a CM like say @Crom Cruach would be the one to do such things.  

Since I don't have discord, can anybody confirm that is was a GGE employee who posted the same info on the discord page?
    edited 31.01.2021
    still searching but can't find what is spoken about (cheekybuilder)  
    flug @ nl 1
    It was a moderator who posted it in the discord server.
    There are 20+ moderators who have acces to that channel so the chances of there being someone online at the time are quite high. Unfortunately that's not always the case here but I try to post them as soon as possible.

• gazz65 (GB1)gazz65 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 710

why not get rid of forum if ggs take more notice on discord.
    what is the point of forum. 
  • gazz65 (GB1)gazz65 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 710
    If 20 plus Mods are on discord that means they are on the game.
    if they on ggs discord they can come on forum as well or is that to
    hard for them to do.

If 20 plus Mods are on discord that means they are on the game.
    if they on ggs discord they can come on forum as well or is that to
    hard for them to do.

These are moderators who work for different forums.
  • dandelion1958 (GB1)dandelion1958 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 999
    edited 31.01.2021
    Lets just wait and see what actually changes before we go out on a limb calling it a bad update... The previous storm update got the same treatment but I think it's safe to say that update was a succes.
    found some of the changes ok - don't do discord and only do here when notified - am finding the search option here extremely limited - wanted some basic info (actually wanted to know max level of fusion forge) but original update post not visible - I know it was here - would be good / better to have an index ? or updates so easier to find specific info !

back to the point re storm - don't like not being able to choose direction - and hope they don't mess with the rewards only one month into a new format - the rewards are good but have had RL stuff going on so not been that focused this month !

- as to the comment about people jumping alliances - it lways has happened - we managed 3rd place in feb 2017, using this method, as had agreed with friendly alliances that certain players would join at the end :-)
    dandelion1958 @ en 1

Am still playing 8 years on ! - hi lvl 800 on new yrs eve (2017/18) !

Leading the Targaryens - PS interested in joining - PM any officer in Game :-)
    taking a more relaxed role:-)
    PS in top200 on uk 1 never botted or used a VPN - that's why it took 5 yrs to get to leg 800

My personal favorite is the Update Announcements link on the Home page of the Forum

It's over on the right-hand side and you scroll down a ways, and then when you click on it ...

Yer a taken to a page that sez:

Page Not Found

The page you were looking for could not be found.

... seriously???    :s
    jamman @ usa 1

Interesting how GGE can send out messages like:

The First Update of the Year!

and ...

Freeze has ended

to every player on the server ...

so ...

why couldn't they have done that with the Storm Islands pause announcement too?
    jamman @ usa 1
  • sherdian0 (GB1)sherdian0 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 32
    how many pauses are coming?

and what will the minor changes be?   if they need 10 days ..........................

If it needs 10 days then I very much doubt it is "minor changes" and I also expect somehow it will involve trying to squeeze more rubies out of players
    sherdian0 @ en 1
    how many pauses are coming?

and what will the minor changes be?   if they need 10 days ..........................

If it needs 10 days then I very much doubt it is "minor changes" and I also expect somehow it will involve trying to squeeze more rubies out of players
    the islands are going to be 'important' i think , 1 alliances have announced to stop with the silent FP in storm and allowed his players to steel islands from other players . it's always possible thta that has other reasons like a war but somehow i think they know what's going to happen. and guessing you've read the reactions above............................there is information known.that vague stuff bothers me
    flug @ nl 1
  • Maybe a better question might be to ask why wouldn't new information about a major pause

To answer your question, I am the only moderator on the forum and I also have a personal life to attend to.
    I was busy the morning the announcement was writing up, I posted it later that day. I would've posted it earlier if I had the time to do so.

And no, this forum is not going to get retired ;-)
    Sounds like a you problem

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file