VPN Accounts

Please could you clarify the rules as regards to the use of VPN accounts, which are alleged to be used in large numbers now to circumvent both the rules of the game and the security procedures which allow players to play safely.  Clarification of what the accounts are how they are being used how to identify them and how to report them would be welcome and also what the penalties for their use would be.  Thanks in advance :)
Batten @ en 1

Comments

• PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) Posts: 318GB1
    good luck with that.....

The rule in T&C is this
    "3.3.6Goodgame Studios' websites may not be used via an annonymization service that hides the user's true IP address."

...and the wonderful thing about the internet is it would take a lot of time to prevent individual users doing this routinely and the introduction of GDPR (which GGS seems to be only company in Europe to have nothing in T&C's on it...) makes much harder to target individual accounts rather than ban ip addresses ranges wholesale... which may detriment honourable users equally....

So no - they aren't allowing it....just internet design, pricing policy and human nature makes it a relatively easy exploit....

So no - not going to explain how to do it (any 11y/o boy will probably do a much better job of explaining how to do it and why the design of the internet makes this such a boon and a curse...) Also many of these account present just like an 11y/o who's stolen mummy's credit card so no, you can't really work out which is which in-game unless they tell you....

How to report it is obvious - anyone you think is breaking T&C's you report to support along with the proof you have so that they can investigate it as best they can.....

I suspect they are pretty hot on the worst repeat offenders ,despite forum gossip... but if people aren't giving them the intel it makes the initial investigation that much harder

Penalties ... there's a thread on the forum - if caught and a ruby buyer I'd expect a very quick insta-ban.... but as a wise man said, some people have worked out that these accounts are disposable and the penalty is only on the player base using one account and taking a long term enjoyment of the game.....

• Zenzer (GB1)Zenzer (GB1) Posts: 2,713GB1
    good luck with that.....

The rule in T&C is this
    "3.3.6Goodgame Studios' websites may not be used via an annonymization service that hides the user's true IP address."

...and the wonderful thing about the internet is it would take a lot of time to prevent individual users doing this routinely and the introduction of GDPR (which GGS seems to be only company in Europe to have nothing in T&C's on it...) makes much harder to target individual accounts rather than ban ip addresses ranges wholesale... which may detriment honourable users equally....

So no - they aren't allowing it....just internet design, pricing policy and human nature makes it a relatively easy exploit....

So no - not going to explain how to do it (any 11y/o boy will probably do a much better job of explaining how to do it and why the design of the internet makes this such a boon and a curse...) Also many of these account present just like an 11y/o who's stolen mummy's credit card so no, you can't really work out which is which in-game unless they tell you....

How to report it is obvious - anyone you think is breaking T&C's you report to support along with the proof you have so that they can investigate it as best they can.....

I suspect they are pretty hot on the worst repeat offenders ,despite forum gossip... but if people aren't giving them the intel it makes the initial investigation that much harder

Penalties ... there's a thread on the forum - if caught and a ruby buyer I'd expect a very quick insta-ban.... but as a wise man said, some people have worked out that these accounts are disposable and the penalty is only on the player base using one account and taking a long term enjoyment of the game.....

Let's say you have proof then and submit it to the support team.
    Are they going to do anything? Most likely they will do nothing.

It's like reporting multiaccounters. You can provide some solid evidence and all support team will have to do is to check and match the IP adresses of the accounts to ban them. But yet they don't do a thing as nothing happens. It also doesn't matter whether multiple people are reporting the same user even though support should realise that something is clearly not right when multiple reports of the same user are being sent in. 

It also seems like some support workers does more than others. For example i have personally received better service and  had better success with some support workers and a lot worse success with others who are instead of helping just being ignorant. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

"Proof" means different things to different people... and just because they are a multi-million euro business doesn't mean they've got a perfect support team :blush: 

I share the frustration but to turn a blind eye just because it takes ggs a while, is actually a part of the problem.....

Also, in a thread about how it is so easy to hide your IP - the ease of "check and match IP addresses to ban them" isn't a complete slam dunk - think they are probably finding an awful lot of players who are using similar ip ranges and it doesn't mean all of them are the same multi (or even a multi) - quite honest people could fall into those ip ranges for very straightforward reasons.....
    edited 25.01.2019
    Also, I just throw this out there as pure conjecture....

EN1 has gone quite a bit quieter since mid November with a number of familiar faces (at various levels) seeming to have gone....  Now it IS possible they all discovered there is a real life (or an alternative unreal one...) but it does make me wonder whether some work on multi's HAD been done recently.......
  • Batten (GB1)Batten (GB1) Posts: 1,120GB1
    Just to request an update from GGE with progress on response to the VPN account issue?  The matter is becoming increasingly urgent and players need some clarity from technical staff before the issue gets further out of hand and we descend into Wild West.  
    Batten @ en 1
  • Batten (GB1)Batten (GB1) Posts: 1,120GB1
    Also like an update on whether the request for alliance bans is being considered.
    Batten @ en 1
    as I say, good luck with that....

GGS really don't seem to want to deal with it much..... EXCEPT...have you noticed the interesting response from Rainbow Bright in the bugs thread on all the accounts that they cannot/will not delete from the ghost alliances in GB1?

I'm wondering if these are the remnants of every single player they banned from the game?    If so, that's a goodly number which actually outnumbers the actual live player base :)

So its possibly a good sign that they do something when they catch them..... its catching them that's difficult.... but you have to blame Sir Tim B-L for that, not GGS unfortunately.....

Account bans impacting on alliances - well good luck with that as well.... would be a whole new way of using these burner accounts to sabotage innocent alliances and finally kill off taking on any newbies with suspicion rampant!
Sign In to comment.