We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Discussion Thread: Our new in-game announcement tool!

Comments

• PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) Posts: 314GB1
    edited 14.11.2018
    I note its got an opt out box (good) [edit : maybe it just to not show same message over and over again? not so good ] but that really defeats the stated objective that its to replace the forum announcements : If people can't be bothered to go to forum then they'll not bother finding info by this route either!! Forums=good, more pop-ups not so....

There IS already a pop up that is used with most updates and new features ... so yes, thinking of ways to improve knowledge transfer on that may be more useful given the forge introduction problems.

HTML and suggestions to improve messaging lag etc all very well made already.

If more random events are required in battle against bots, could these not be introduced with HTML 5 upgrade? new random events when setting up attack.... like adding snowchains for the snowfall we had this morning on green......
  • hovsa (SKN1)hovsa (SKN1) Posts: 16SKN1
    More pop-ups?

The amount of pop-ups are already pretty annoying, so I dont see the big advantage for players? My suggestion would be, that you send an in game e-mail instead, if you have "exiting news" and leave for us to decide, when we want to pause game and watch info.

• Herc7407 (US1)Herc7407 (US1) Posts: 20US1

Honestly I have to say that the very last thing this game needs right now is Another Pop_up interfering with game play!

I fully understand the need for advertisement and the need to keep players informed but we have to come up with a better method. The idea as previously posted of a "glowing Button" seems to me an idea with merit.

Herc7407 @ usa 1
  • dliu3 (US1)dliu3 (US1) Posts: 199US1
    I agree that popups are really annoying. Maybe a suggestion is that if there is an attack on you or the alliance the popups are hidden until you take action/after battle is over. Not sure how many people would ask to be massed just to block popups lol. But after maybe like 10 mins of no attacks popups show up. If you really need to access them they can be kept in the same location. Just get them out of our face and you'll have more customers.
    Trying to force people to be a customer doesn't work. Give them an incentive to be a customer and they will. And lower the price of these ruby deals. When price goes down, demand goes up. Simple economics.
    Proud member of Heavens Army on US1!
  • I think I am with everyone else when my first thought is "Oh no! not more pop-ups!"

I agree that passing salient information to players in game is a good thing; about 95% have little clue what's going on because they don't/can't/won't use the forum.

But please do make it a button like the daily tasks and quest book, perhaps make it pulse or glow when there is unread information in there.  Likewise with the pop-ups, don't make them POP! right in your face when you are trying to do anything; have the little icons at the bottom pulse or glow when there is a new offer available then its up to people to click on it or not (and live with the pulsing/glowing thing at the bottom of the screen).  I reckon they will still click on it to stop it from pulsing away but they will do it at a time that works for them.

That would definitely cut down on the lag people experience when a pop-up is due and its unlikely to put people off buying, rather it will mean people are less put off because of the constant pop-ups.

Halloween was a nightmare with the 15 minute pop-ups.  Talk about Trick or Treat - most definitely GGS playing tricks on us to try our patience.
    Nothing quite like a pop-up when you log on, see attack screen with a few min to go and then a stream of pop-ups. Just love it. Definitely need many, many more of these.... 

• But please do make it a button like the daily tasks and quest book, perhaps make it pulse or glow when there is unread information in there.  Likewise with the pop-ups, don't make them POP! right in your face when you are trying to do anything; have the little icons at the bottom pulse or glow when there is a new offer available then its up to people to click on it or not (and live with the pulsing/glowing thing at the bottom of the screen).  I reckon they will still click on it to stop it from pulsing away but they will do it at a time that works for them.

That would definitely cut down on the lag people experience when a pop-up is due and its unlikely to put people off buying, rather it will mean people are less put off because of the constant pop-ups.

Osiris nailed it on the first try!!!  B)

As an IT developer, this ongoing discussion (since March of this year, or so), about the hyper-FREQUENCY of pop-ups, has been very frustrating, as the obvious solution (as pointed out by Osiris) isn't all that big of a change from what has already been there for a very long time.

Namely, the offer icons are ALREADY present at/along the bottom of the screen, right?

Apply the pulse/glow attribute that is already present (for example) with the change in Glory/Gallantry points.

Take away the unnecessary distraction of flooding the middle of the screen with offers already present elsewhere.

People (at least, if I may speak for my fellow Americans) are much more likely to want to buy stuff from you when you are not shoving the offers down their throats in a non-stop fashion. 
    Or at least put up an option that lets you remove pop-ups and you can buy this with the subscriptions or something.  If you want to make money out of this, at least.  So many more people will by subscriptions then and no one will complain.

200,000 MP
    Level 46
  • Batten (GB1)Batten (GB1) Posts: 1,120GB1
    Personally I would view this as a positive development.  If you go back through game history there have been times when there has been a glaring need for immediate communication between players and GGE in game and it was something in the past players have asked for.  A quick explanation of an outage and it's impact saves time and as not all players use the forum gives us all the information at the same time creating parity and reducing the risk of misinformation via misinterpretation.  When for example the metro's all appeared on the map by accident it would have really helped to have had a message telling players it wasn't deliberate and not to launch attacks on command centres which on EN1 at least were then withdrawn.  I thought something was off so withdrew but other players in my alliances wasted rubies troops and times on trying to capture mirages which subsequently disappeared.  This is GGE doing as I see it a good job of trying to put in place a system for early intervention to solve problems before they escalate and end up creating mountains of work for support.  Dealing with a problem as quickly as you can when it appears and communicating a. there is an issue b. the action you want players to take to avoid making things worse is a very smart play from GGE.  I think where most players are at is that they want to see how this interacts with pop ups and in game information and testing it in the test server would be the smart move first to allow it to be fine tuned.  Key message reading up is break glass in event of emergencies use it to communicate important or relevant information in real time and drive traffic to the forum for more detail to overcommunicate and lose the impact otherwise you'll end up with people ignoring information that they need to be aware of. 

For me reminder of downtime.  Confirmation that food will be provided during downtime.  Estimate of outage length.  Confirmation of a technical issue.  Reminder of when an big Event will start.  All those things would be useful.  You have an extra 2K troops when you log in because would also help with that initial moment of okay something happened I wonder what. 

I do think it's something that designers technicians should be credited for bringing in and I think it will be better than people seem to think.  The Pop Up war to my mind is a separate issue.   If this relates to spend dropping after Outer Realms then it is probably due to cost of Outer Realms which was a big financial commitment for some players and take a while to reset from.  
    Batten @ en 1
  • Isn't there a button that says "Don't Show Again"?

So basically up to my understanding, this means that you can "block" this pop-up...no one should be complaining.  Just click on that and no more pop-ups from updates!

200,000 MP
    Level 46
  • PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) Posts: 314GB1
    edited 15.11.2018
    Isn't there a button that says "Don't Show Again"? .....  Just click on that and no more pop-ups from updates!
    I fear that this will work just like the existing popup message you get after an update and just stop that one message only from appearing every time you log on.

As this facility already exists and is used already I think we are doomed if we keep trying to argue the whole "do we want pop-ups" as they are already a "thing" and gge are never going to uninvent them now they have them!

As the original question it is about what we think we might want them used for.....

I really can't think of one single extra announcement I would want personally...... Improving the usage of existing ones or the ability to view them at a time of my choosing.  file them or see them again if they are going to become content rich would really help..... but that would be best left to the HTML5 update.......

The argument about downtime/outage information also strikes me as a red herring : gge have argued some strong points about why extra information can't be given in advance to prevent exploitation of downtime and, of course, once it is down you can't see the in-game pop up and the only place you'd get info is the forums (and mostly the volunteer mods trying to extract info on our behalf...).......   so again - more of an argument to have a more communicative downtime screen either with relevant info on it or with link direct to forum entry.

Post edited by PJH_ (GB1) on
  • New tool just locked my game down,  I cannot get past it to play

grrrrrrrr
    scarlet dragon @ usa 1
  • Absolutely amazing, you installed this feature.  Use it once to state something about the Winter take off of Reaper's Wrath and you froze up my system.  And just giving the title of a new event does not intrigue people.
    kookiekooks @ usa 1
  • Not sure if its fixed or no, but I switched browser, and Its working

sd
    scarlet dragon @ usa 1
  • Zenzer (GB1)Zenzer (GB1) Posts: 2,685GB1
    edited 16.11.2018
    Refrain from using the in-game announcement tool for new events or anything that we can just already look up on the forums. 

Display those types of news on this thing instead: 
    (It needs to be redesigned as well)

And keep the in-game announcement tool for announcing planned downtimes or anything that is important or of significance to the player. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

• The new pop-up has made Microsoft's Edge browser unplayable.  
    John Mugs @ usa 1
  • agreed. Mods...spread the word back to GGE that they need to run an update to fix this ASAP. I can't even get in to play. FYI....the "Don't show again button' doesn't actually work. Tried twice...still popped up even after I told it NOT to.
    Currently active on: Asia (level 70 LLvl 123)  Leader of "The Pegasus Wolves" alliance
    USA (level 70 LLvl 48) 
    Yes, I LIKE this game. Yes, I'm serious. I will Defend GGE when I feel they are being given unnecessary criticism.
    Yes, I will continue to state my opinions bluntly...
    How about we all work to keep this game alive INSTEAD of calling them to shut it all down with our whining and complaining?

• Herveus (AU1)Herveus (AU1) Posts: 10,829AU1

But please do make it a button like the daily tasks and quest book, perhaps make it pulse or glow when there is unread information in there.  Likewise with the pop-ups, don't make them POP! right in your face when you are trying to do anything; have the little icons at the bottom pulse or glow when there is a new offer available then its up to people to click on it or not (and live with the pulsing/glowing thing at the bottom of the screen).  I reckon they will still click on it to stop it from pulsing away but they will do it at a time that works for them.

Osiris nailed it on the first try!!!  B)

As an IT developer, this ongoing discussion (since March of this year, or so), about the hyper-FREQUENCY of pop-ups, has been very frustrating, as the obvious solution (as pointed out by Osiris) isn't all that big of a change from what has already been there for a very long time.

Namely, the offer icons are ALREADY present at/along the bottom of the screen, right?

Apply the pulse/glow attribute that is already present (for example) with the change in Glory/Gallantry points.

Take away the unnecessary distraction of flooding the middle of the screen with offers already present elsewhere.

People (at least, if I may speak for my fellow Americans) are much more likely to want to buy stuff from you when you are not shoving the offers down their throats in a non-stop fashion. 
    Or just 1 small window like the one you have when you get a new quest that tells you new offers are there and NOT a pop-up

You need or want help to become a better player shoot me a message in the forums or here I'll gladly help you out for free
  • My favorite part of this new 'feature; is how it is locking some of my players out of the game.
  • أريد تمكين نقل القواعد الأمامية للقلعة
  • @BM Fujiwara How the feck are we supposed to sort this sh*t out - i can't even read the announcement in game - it only appears when i try to scroll through tools or in merc. post etc. - well done GGS for another great co*k up

Pass this on as is a major mess - slowing game down and actually costing GGs money - I had £20 stashed for a points boost during beri but am now considering leaving game instead !

- Less than 5k actives on uk1 - i don't think you've got the right to dictate to us what is right - sort the multi's - allow us a name and shame thread , and give the game some balance with even distribution of game assets !
    dandelion1958 @ en 1

Am still playing 6 years on ! - hi lvl 800 on new yrs eve (2017/18) !

Leading the Targaryens - PS interested in joining - PM any officer in Game :-)

PS in top200 on uk 1 never botted or used a VPN - that's why it took 5 yrs to get to leg 800
  • ANOTHER POPUP

TRY ME. I WILL FIND A WAY TO WIN

Sign In to comment.