Home General Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

A message about popups

Comments

• fujiwara (GB1)fujiwara (GB1) GB1 Posts: 647
    I struggle to believe popups are more likely to get sales than having like a sales/offers tab.

There is literally 0% chance I'm going to buy something because it pinged up on my screen while I was trying to do something else. There are times when I'll be wanting to know what ruby building has a discount on, or whether there's a decent sam/nomad boost running, and I'd love to be able to load up a tabbed offers window so I can cycle through what's available. Hell, I'd do it even if I wasn't planning on buying rubies if it was set up like that, purely to window shop, and if an offer was good, I might actually go for it. At the moment all popups do is make me look for the cross so I can close them again, I don't even read what the offers are.

If I want something, I'll look for it. I'm not really into the whole cold-call salesman thing where someone tries to convince me to buy/join something I wasn't looking for in the first place, it just irritates the hell out of me.
    fujiwara @ en 1

Author of the Empire alliance management studio web app - contact me if you want to try it out

invpng
  • gazz65 (GB1)gazz65 (GB1) GB1 Posts: 656
    GGE are offering these pop ups because they know the game is finished
    finished because someone who is new to gge can basically buy way to level legend 800 in few wks.
    we have seen it on uk server with certain alliance , they never sent a normal recruited troops to attack you
    it's bought troops bought commanders. only reason they doing this gge is they losing money and
    want thick people to buy everything.
  • Retsef (US1)Retsef (US1) US1 Posts: 10
    Free game or not, nobody enjoys having to close one pop-up after another every couple of hours when the chests switch.  I see no reason why they have to each be on their own page, there must be some way to combine them.  That also goes for the icons at the bottom of the screen, sometimes there are 3-4 of them and they cover castles and other icons.
  • JetLag (US1)JetLag (US1) US1 Posts: 80
    I find those constant POP UPs to be unmanagable.. They are always  coming up during attack  set ups.  The things are just TOO often.  Why the need of them so often?
    JetLag @ usa 1
  • David Noble (US1)David Noble (US1) Posts: 2,552
    edited 25.08.2018
    I find those constant POP UPs to be unmanagable.. They are always  coming up during attack  set ups.  The things are just TOO often.  Why the need of them so often?
    They are not needed so often which that I can agree upon. You could also just simply click on an offer to see what is available instead of getting numerous pop ups that are unnecessary for the most part that GGS can not necessarily force another player to buy either. Only exceptions may be discounts and rare or limited time offers instead of showing everything when it comes to pop ups.
    David Noble @ usa 1
  • flug (NL1)flug (NL1) NL1 Posts: 1,108
    pop-ups getting very very very very irritating and gamebreaking.

fun in game is getting lost with those terrible pop-ups wich appear every time you set up defence or attack.

this trhead is running for so long and no-one is doing anything about it except blablabla . thereare million ways to advertise .   when will something be done about it???? or is GGE really ignoring his players?
    flug @ nl 1
  • Zenzer (GB1)Zenzer (GB1) GB1 Posts: 2,713
    I have to agree. These offers doesn't do anything than discourage you from wanting to play the game. 
    Even the players who actually spends a lot of money on this game do still receive these pop ups all the time. 
    It's not just annoying but also an insult. 

No, i don't play on GB1. 

• When the fan on my laptop speeds up and GGE freezes I *sigh* and make this face cause I know a string of ads is coming. 
    Image result for frustrated meme
    I agree with this. My computer also slows when popups are coming.
    Marty Maurder @ en 1
    I have to agree. These offers doesn't do anything than discourage you from wanting to play the game. 
    Even the players who actually spends a lot of money on this game do still receive these pop ups all the time. 
    It's not just annoying but also an insult. 
    an annoying insult :):):)     

flug @ nl 1
  • neuterable (US1)neuterable (US1) US1 Posts: 757
    Somebody decided that more Pop Ups were just the thing for a game that barely works.

People like getting deals, but they don't like having to close seven slow loading windows every time they are trying to do something.
    neuterable, shameless slaughterer of peasants, collector of princesses and fan of homestuck

α ЯTFM ¿¿¿Want Free $tuff??? Then Go Write Santa a Letter ЯTFM Ω
  • Shares (AU1)Shares (AU1) AU1 Posts: 575
    yeh and lags back
    Shares @ au 1
    is there somebody hating those pop ups???????  before you can send your attack you have to click 5 pop-ups away !!!   

flug @ nl 1
  • BM FujiwaraBM Fujiwara Posts: 575
    is there somebody hating those pop ups???????  before you can send your attack you have to click 5 pop-ups away !!!   

This should be considerably better starting on Thursday, when a number of screens can no longer be interrupted by popups. See the update thread for more details.
    fujiwara @ en-1
    fujiwara @ us-1

• PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) GB1 Posts: 352
    Doesn't this just mean that the pop ups get delayed until you try the next thing????

I guess this means that by some metric they must be working because no rational business would keep repeating the same behaviour that so many say actually puts them off buying rubies!

yep, considered "giving unto Cesar" with new subscriptions until I realsised that they'd still pester for more so i can relate to why people are so unhappy about this and why it looks so self defeating but i guess the business model must prove it works!

• David Noble (US1)David Noble (US1) Posts: 2,552
    edited 14.09.2018
    Doesn't this just mean that the pop ups get delayed until you try the next thing????

I guess this means that by some metric they must be working because no rational business would keep repeating the same behaviour that so many say actually puts them off buying rubies!

yep, considered "giving unto Cesar" with new subscriptions until I realsised that they'd still pester for more so i can relate to why people are so unhappy about this and why it looks so self defeating but i guess the business model must prove it works!

The subscriptions vs. less pop ups or less frequent pop ups are different though. Less pop up are not included as part of the subscriptions. Instead, they are part of a "filter" which I think that hopefully it will be free unlike auto spy and auto selling of equipment and gems. I am not exactly 100% certain of how less pop ups will work out, but hopefully we will find out soon on September 20th.
    David Noble @ usa 1
  • BM FujiwaraBM Fujiwara Posts: 575
    The popups will fundamentally not be changed, other than a lot of the more irritating times they spam you "half way through sending troops, setting up attacks, etc etc" will be blocked. Whether they spam you again when you close those windows is more than I know I'm afraid
    fujiwara @ en-1
    fujiwara @ us-1

• PJH_ (GB1)PJH_ (GB1) GB1 Posts: 352
    as you probably guessed, I'm expecting the "delayed rather than skipped" (sorry to be a neg-head). As a wise person said in another post - the whole thing has a whiff of a missed opportunity and prepping this goose for the pot.

I know the filter isn't part of the subscription "expansion" (though maybe in future,  maybe when they change the levels to 0€ = benign neglect, 5€= ok, we'll fixit all and 10€ = we'll develop some really cool stuff with the extra revenue rather than just give it to shareholders/service debt) but the two things implemented together just is so "unfortunate" (or just downright poor planning/understanding of customers desires)
  • The pop ups are delayed, not blocked, when your in certain screens. You can tell because the game suddenly freezes for a second when loading them when your in those screens every so often, and when you exit the screen the popup's there waiting for you.

• dliu3 (US1)dliu3 (US1) US1 Posts: 461
    Make the popups so that there is a small flashing icon in a corner. So you don't have to close about 20 popups when you have a 2 second horn.

Proudly a member of Kings All on US1!

GENERATION 37: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

(thanks @Link c0p (GB1) )

================
    Can we talk about games thats not gge yet? Or is this still north korea?
    Sir,
    Pease be polite!
    As you may know, Boo Masters is the ony aliance officially recognized by the DPRK Gaming Cub (North korea).
    Why would you call our sponsor a "dictatorship?"
    shut up @forestw (AU1)
    ================

Sign In to comment.