Home English (UK) Strategy & Tactics Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Private Messaging storage

My suggestion is to provide both an archive for older messages and a download function to make is simple and easy to store the archived messages to your personal computer's hard drive. 

Currently there is an archive folder which holds about 20 messages so you can save very important messages you may want to refer back to in the future. But there are lots of messages and reports which are sometimes needed at a future date and the archive is too small to house them. Granted most of the reports and messages don't need to be saved, but there are occasions when I have really needed to reference a series of old messages and reports for my alliance leader. Had I not taken screen shots of those reports and messages my leader would not have been able to prove what happened and settle an issue with another alliance. 

It would make it a lot easier if I could just click a button and archive old messages to my hard drive. 

Hopefully this is something which programmers can add with little trouble. 

Comments

• My suggestion is to provide both an archive for older messages and a download function to make is simple and easy to store the archived messages to your personal computer's hard drive. 

Currently there is an archive folder which holds about 20 messages so you can save very important messages you may want to refer back to in the future. But there are lots of messages and reports which are sometimes needed at a future date and the archive is too small to house them. Granted most of the reports and messages don't need to be saved, but there are occasions when I have really needed to reference a series of old messages and reports for my alliance leader. Had I not taken screen shots of those reports and messages my leader would not have been able to prove what happened and settle an issue with another alliance. 

It would make it a lot easier if I could just click a button and archive old messages to my hard drive. 

Hopefully this is something which programmers can add with little trouble. 

What you are suggesting with the download option is something that i am 99% sure about that it won't be happening. 
    It isn't as easy as just writing a few lines of codes, the current game design needs to have support for it which i am very sceptical about if it even has. 

Expanding the current archive from 20 to 50-100 would probably be the easiest route and is something i definitely could see happening. 
  • Yeah, I am not a programmer so I was just hoping it would be something which would be feasible. 

In the grand scheme of things I doubt this is ever going to be considered a front burner issue, so if it would require major changes to make it happen I doubt it will happen. 
    I would like to see a much greater archive capacity if the download option is a nonstarter. That would be still be useful. 

• You ever just consider pressing "PrtSc" on your computer.... Just saying a print screen is easy to keep and it's like downloading your msgs. 
    Current Member of The Red Army
    Former Member of The Un~Forgiven (Self Appointed Propagandist)
    Former Proud Member of HITMEN(formerly know as Grumpy Hitmen)
    Former Proud Member of The Ninja Pack, Rastafarians, Rustlin' Jimmies, KingdonOfDeath and Strike Force
    Proud former Recruiter for The Ninja Pack - Crimson Warriors
    And, a very brief Period Of Time in Neph Reapers(Please don't tell The MISC)

https://prnt.sc/immx03
    Making a run for first and your...
    https://prnt.sc/imuxgc
    Then You...
    https://prnt.sc/imupnu
    FML

HIVE Club leader and Creator
    http://prntscr.com/fz0jgz
    http://prntscr.com/fyowm1

GGE Courting Methods
    https://community.goodgamestudios.com/empire/en/discussion/358319/bullies#latest
    Well at least. She Posted on my wall.

I am also a self-appointed GGE historian. Back in the day, I was in the Original "Honey Badgers". Until it became part of the fellowship. And, my character fell into ashes over a long hospital stay. And, the use of "xXx" at the beginning and end of the of your name was removed along with my Character. I've been here from the Start, boi.

• Herveus (AU1)Herveus (AU1) AU1 Posts: 11,055
    You ever just consider pressing "PrtSc" on your computer.... Just saying a print screen is easy to keep and it's like downloading your msgs. 
    but print screen is faster than download

You need or want help to become a better player shoot me a message in the forums or here I'll gladly help you out for free

In h
    ibernation nov2019-now
  • Wrong section btw
  • You ever just consider pressing "PrtSc" on your computer.... Just saying a print screen is easy to keep and it's like downloading your msgs. 

Yeah that is smart. And in fact I do that a lot. It provides proof of what was said, or of whether I was the first one to take the lab or monument, etc. It is a great tool. 
    I just figured if I could download my whole archive and then clear it out to make room for more messages, it would be much faster and easier than doing things one at a time. 
    I spend enough time clicking stuff as it is. 

I don't know, maybe GGE views my suggestions as busy body stuff. I hope not. I am not complaining about this. 
    They made this suggestions section so I figure they want to hear from us on stuff like this. Sometimes I am sure players suggest things which, in some form or other, are adopted and implemented in an upgrade. And I'm sure lots of suggestions are considered but ultimately determined not to be feasible or congruent with their overall plans. I don't expect them to automatically adopt my suggestion. 
    Probably there are other, better ways to achieve the same goal. The ideas in these discussions may turn out way better than the original suggestion. 

I looked for a message my team leader asked for a copy of but it had been auto deleted already. That has happened to me more than once. It was something I didn't think would be important to keep and so didn't archive it. The archive is for stuff you know you want to keep. 
    I thought what if there was a way to download all messages periodically to my PC. I could delete them after some period of time of my own choosing if they began to eat up memory. 

For now I will just make copies of stuff I think might be needed later.   
  • benja084 (ES1)benja084 (ES1) ES1 Posts: 9,678
    You ever just consider pressing "PrtSc" on your computer.... Just saying a print screen is easy to keep and it's like downloading your msgs. 
    There's just one tiny problem:

cat

"There is no such a thing as an empty space or an empty time. There is always something to see, something to hear"
    "To pay attention, that is our endless and propper work"

"No existe tal cosa como un espacio vacío o un tiempo vacio. Siempre hay algo que ver, algo que oír"
    "Prestar atención, ese es nuestro interminable y apropiado trabajo"
  • Thats obviously fake 
  • Wrong section btw
    whoops. yeah you're right. 
    I didn't click the right tab and wasn't paying attention. 
  • benja084 (ES1)benja084 (ES1) ES1 Posts: 9,678
    edited 27.10.2017
    Thats obviously fake 
    How did you knew that?

Odds are, that you knew for the resolution of the characters.

When you use PrntScrn and then save it with paint, the resolution ends up being similar to this, and if someone needs an excuse to attack you, that someone could argue that it's fake.

That's the point.

Edit: Similoar :#

Post edited by benja084 (ES1) on
    cat

"There is no such a thing as an empty space or an empty time. There is always something to see, something to hear"
    "To pay attention, that is our endless and propper work"

"No existe tal cosa como un espacio vacío o un tiempo vacio. Siempre hay algo que ver, algo que oír"
    "Prestar atención, ese es nuestro interminable y apropiado trabajo"

Well if there is that little trust then I don't suppose that any pic of the message will satisfy the other leader. 
    Thankfully I have not run into that situation, i.e. where the other alliance leader didn't trust my leader and thought the screen print was faked. 
    Frankly that seems like a lot of work but maybe for someone with mad tech skills it wouldn't be too difficult. 

I think most players are decent people based on those I have interacted with. Other leaders expect their members to follow their rules and if you show them evidence that one of their people is screwing up they appreciate finding out about it. There are some bad apples now and then. 
    We had one member who sent a really nasty message to another alliance member. No curse words of course since they are not allowed by the software, but this guy was creative and got the message across anyway. We had to boot him, for the message and for other things. 
     In another case a former team member began spreading lies about a team member. They wound up telling those lies to several people who, unbeknownst to them were friends of the person they were lying about. They even contacted GGE about her. It was easy to prove they were lies, and having copies of the messages helped this person to straighten things out with GGE. Granted that was a rare and bizarre situation.
    It just helps the team leader put together what went on in a situation when they can see copies of the messages and reports. 

• Herveus (AU1)Herveus (AU1) AU1 Posts: 11,055

Well if there is that little trust then I don't suppose that any pic of the message will satisfy the other leader. 
    Thankfully I have not run into that situation, i.e. where the other alliance leader didn't trust my leader and thought the screen print was faked. 
    Frankly that seems like a lot of work but maybe for someone with mad tech skills it wouldn't be too difficult. 

I think most players are decent people based on those I have interacted with. Other leaders expect their members to follow their rules and if you show them evidence that one of their people is screwing up they appreciate finding out about it. There are some bad apples now and then. 
    We had one member who sent a really nasty message to another alliance member. No curse words of course since they are not allowed by the software, but this guy was creative and got the message across anyway. We had to boot him, for the message and for other things. 
     In another case a former team member began spreading lies about a team member. They wound up telling those lies to several people who, unbeknownst to them were friends of the person they were lying about. They even contacted GGE about her. It was easy to prove they were lies, and having copies of the messages helped this person to straighten things out with GGE. Granted that was a rare and bizarre situation.
    It just helps the team leader put together what went on in a situation when they can see copies of the messages and reports. 

actually if you still have the XML's that used to not be on the server side you can perfectly fake a message without much effort, but barely anyone still has them.

You need or want help to become a better player shoot me a message in the forums or here I'll gladly help you out for free

In h
    ibernation nov2019-now

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file