We are once again looking for some awesome new moderators to help us out with keeping
the forum running and playing a crucial part in our Empire community! If
this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

Forum search function malfunctioning

Whatever search term I use, the search function only returns threads that are at least 2 months old.
Just tested with "crafty". The newest result is dated 20.05.2016.
Last week's update thread doesn't show up at all in the search results.

Wiglema (NL1)

Comments

• CM ArcanineCM Arcanine Posts: 4,626
    Cheers for helping out @Klingon (RO1)!

If there's any additional assistance or suggestions you have for forum functions @Wiglema (NL1), just let me know :)

Regards,

Steve.
  • Wiglema (NL1)Wiglema (NL1) Posts: 474NL1
    edited 10.08.2016
    Hi Steve @CM Arcanine,

Did you even bother to try for yourself?
    Perhaps the problem is only on my side, perhaps not.
    Try to find this very thread or another recent thread (like the one below) containing the word "crafty" using the search function.

The advanced options of the search function don't help me finding them, but they do help in illustrating the problem:

You see the problem?

You see, the search function does work, but it's far from up to date.

Kind regards
    Wiglema (NL1)
  • Klingon (RO1)Klingon (RO1) Posts: 557
    edited 10.08.2016
    past 2 months arent indexed/not allowed for search, u can find it on recent discussion or specific categories first page (Update Questions & Feedback in this case or that link https://community.goodgamestudios.com/empire/en/categories/update-questions-en).
    so isnt that far (this is vanilla version of forum, switched from vBulletin, software not owned/created by gge, when ill have time ill see what settings have):

Thanks, @Klingon (RO1).

I was not looking specifically for "crafty" but just used that as an example to illustrate the problem. Of course I knew where to find that thread, but I was expecting the search function would be able to find it as well.
    (I was in fact looking for something that I had read in a recent post somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly where, so I was hoping the search function could tell me. Alas it could not. I did eventually find what I was looking for after browsing through at least a hundred posts in different threads.)

Back to my issue:
    past 2 months arent indexed/not allowed for search,
    This doesn't make sense to me. I'm usually not interested in digging up old threads; I am however interested in the most recent information about some topic.
    If that is a limitation of the Vanilla forum (I can hardly believe it is), I strongly suggest moving to an alternative. What was wrong with the old forum? It had much better overview and more and clearer functionality than this new forum (at least from my point of view). But that has been discussed elsewhere already, I believe.

So, my only remaining question on this topic is: Why are recent months excluded from search?

Wiglema (NL1)
    Update: Apparently the two-month limit has been removed.
    The search function now includes recent threads. :)

Thanks.
    Wiglema (NL1)
Sign In to comment.