~Empire Legends ~ Blitz of Fate~

Dear Reader,

Welcome to Empire Legends, this is a Goodgame Empire Fan Fiction, and is the second of four improved installations to this series. Please don't write the story, as that has been left up to the author, Noble Leone, comments, ideas, and suggestions are welcome though! Please enjoy the story!

~ Empire Legends ~ Blitz of Fate ~

~ By:Noble Leone ~

~"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."~

~NL~

Post edited by Noble Leone (ASIA1) on

Comments

• Noble Leone (ASIA1)Noble Leone (ASIA1) Posts: 1,633
    edited 05.02.2016
    Chapter 1 ~ Arkaley
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leo and Conan bumped around inside of the hospital wagon, well, it wasn't much of a hospital, more of a room with a cot and some buckets with dried herbs scattered in disorganized heaps. On the cot lay Jack, he was sweating, even though it was freezing, winter was setting in on the Great Empire. Leo peeped his head out of the wagon window, to see how much further they had until they reached Arkaley, the capital of Mirilde. He could see Arkaley in the distance, steadily going larger as they quickly approached, several dark rain clouds hung over the city, in Arkaley, rain was considered good luck, as the Great Empire consists mostly of Savannah and plains. "How much further?" asked Conan, "I'm not sure how much longer Jack can go."
    Leo let out a sigh of relief, "Not far yet." he responded. 
    "Good." sighed Conan, "It will be great to finally be home again."
    Leo drew his head back into the wagon, ans sat down. Then, the wagon halted suddenly, jolting Conan and Leo. "What the blazes!" said Conan, and Leo stood to take another look outside of the wagon, what stood before the caravan was a truly horrifying sight to behold. Plumes of pitch black smoke billowed into the air from Arkaley, from a distance they had looked like rain clouds, but from here, it was obviously smoke, two of the walls had crumbled, and one of the towers was missing all together, the only remnants being stone blocks littered across the Earth. However, that wasn't the most horrifying thing about it, no, what stunned Leo was the tall metal spikes, sticking out of the ground. And on those spikes, were the vague outlines of the bodies of people. Leo, snapping out of his trance, leapt from the wagon, leaving a bewildered Conan behind, he ran towards the castle, his Adrenalin pumping through his body, allowing him to run the whole kilometer between the wagon and the castle without losing his pace. Once he reached the castle however, he wished that he had not. Blood was everywhere, it flowed across the ground like a river, and internal organs hung from the bodies of the citizens, bodies impaled through the buttocks, straight up through the body, and out through the mouth, all to leave one message, loud and clear "Don't come back!" it screamed at them in chorus with the ravens and vultures, scavenging picking flesh off of bone. Then Leo realized, and it was something he could never un-realize, his family would have been here when it was raided. . . 

Leo searched through the forest of impaled bodies for his family, praying to God that he would not find any, but there were so many, almost everyone must have been captured. Then he saw them, his older sister, impaled like the others, with slashes down her once beautiful face, blood staining her simple cloths. Then his mother, somehow, miraculously, she had not been attacked by the birds, still looked almost as though she were alive. Leo turned, unable to stand the gut wrenching disgust, putrid smell, and horrific sight, he doubled over and vomited, adding to the smell and the river of repulsive substances.When he regained his composure, he looked up to see Conan, staring at the corpse of a young maiden, he reached up, and brushed the blood off of her cheek, tears welling up in he eyes, which he quickly brushed away, tears were a sign of weakness on the battlefield. "Who was she?" asked Leo, still struggling to regain his composure.
    "She was my sweetheart, we had recently been engaged when I was sent away to Everwinter." answered Conan.
    Leo lost his footing, slipping over someones lung, and he looked around to see who's it was, and he realized it belonged to his younger sister, the sight of his youthful sibling, thrown away like discarded garbage, caused him to give up on trying to regain his composure, he let the tears flow, he didn't even try to hide it. Conan stood back, and looked up at the towers, "The flag of Mirilde still flies!" he shouted excitedly.
    Leo forced himself to stop, though he wanted dearly to continue, and he stood up and finally regained himself. Remember, you are a warrior.He reminded himself. "I'll go fetch Jack, we need to get him to the hospital quickly, he turned, preparing to run back, but the Cabin driver was already bringing him luckily. And the three rushed him in as quickly as they could, trying to dispel the horrors of what lay just outside the walls of Arkaley.

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016
    Chapter 2 ~ Merek
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The city of Arkaley was truly a sight to behold, the streets were lined with the bodies of innocent peasants, the crevices between the cobblestone gushing with their blood. The stench of rotting flesh was overwhelming, and those that had survived labored non-stop to clean the bodies, however it looked like they were having difficulties withholding their suppers. Smoke billowed from several buildings, as the fires slowly burned out of existence.

But Leo, Conan, and the Cabin driver didn't have time to stand and gawk, that could wait for later, they had already wasted to much time outside, they rushed Jack to the hospitals, which were overflowing with the wounded being hauled in, and the dead being carried out. Crying woman and children flocked the hospital and streets, bearing diseased loved ones to the burial grounds. Jack was quickly swept away by two nurses, they wouldn't be aloud to see him for a while, they would be working rigorously on him for hours until they were confident that he could handle visitors. 

Leo turned around, stalking into the crowd, "I would like to have a word with King Merek." growled Leo. Conan turned to catch up.
    King Merek stood in the center of a large crowd, giving a speech, "It is a dark time for the kingdom of Mirilde, I know." said the King, "But out of these ashes, we shall rebuild!" He was obviously expecting some king of "Hurrah!" or "Go King Merek!" Instead all he got were angry glances, some murderous looks, and unsettling murmurs that rippled across the crowd.
    He's had that one coming.  thought Leo smugly, but now was not time to relish the moment, he needed to talk to the King now!
    Merek turned around obviously disappointed, and pushed his way through the crowd, a small squad of imperial guardsman flanking him on each side. 
    Leo rushed forward, seizing his chance to talk to the King, shoving past the guards, Leo pushed in front of Merek, forcing him to stop. But now that he was here, he didn't know what to say, How do I say this? thought Leo, If I say what I want to say, I will be hung for treason. And if I'm not, he won't take me seriously.
    It was actually Merek that helped him out, "Ah, Leopold, I was going to summon you later, but the sooner the better, as they say!"
    "Actually m'lord, nobody says that, not for several thousand years since the fall of the New World Order during the Nuclear civil war." reminded Leo.
    "Well, they should!" said Merek, "I'll tell you what I was going to summon you for in a slightly more private place, meet me in my throne room in 15 minutes."
    "Yes m'lord." Leo stopped walking until Mereks procession marched past him.
    "What was that about?" asked Conan.
    "I was going to tell the King off for his negligent behavior and poor rule."
    Conan gasped, "You weren't!"
    "I thought better of it." admitted Leo.
    Then one of the burning building crashed down with the sound of a thousand splinters, cracking and burning as the fire reignited, spreading to another building. Conan winced, Leo was to last in thought to even notice. What could Merek possibly want to tell me?

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016
    Chapter 3 ~ The Coast
    Leo walked into the throne room, silent as a cat, his long golden hair resembling that of a lion. The room was luxuriously lit, a bright chandelier hung from the high, domed ceiling. It had huge windows behind the throne, decorated with imperial purple curtains, and war banners from legendary battles decorated the hall. The throne itself was cushioned, with a gold trim, and a dark red paint, that fit perfectly with the bright red cushions and red carpet. Standing guard along the walls were Imperial guardsman, armed with maces and bows. King Merek, lounged on his throne, twirling his scepter like a wizards staff.
    "Ah, Leopold, you have arrived at last!" greeted Merek pleasantly. 
    As though my family wasn't just been mutilated and hung like a decorative item for all to see. thought Leo
    As if on ques King Merek added, "So sorry about your family, but you know, those Barons, such vile criminals indeed.
    You're one to talk. Instead he said, "I saw, but that isn't why I am here, what did you wan't to tell me?" 
    "Straight to business I see." said Merek, "Reminds me of myself when I was your age." noticeably with a hint of fear, Leo noted it immediately.
    Don't you dare compare yourself to me you filthy bastard. "I am honored, m'lord."
    "I have summoned you here to give you a new assignment Leopold."
    Oh great, my last assignment went so well. 
    "I am assigning you to aid the great Sea Queen of the Blade Coast, she is having pirate problems and has requested our assistance. As soon as I heard you were returning, I new it was meant to be, the fates have willed it, and so it shall be."
    Leo had never heard of the Blade Coast, Hopefully it's nothing like Everwinter was.  thought Leo hopefully. "When do I depart, and who will be accompanying me?" he asked.
    "I will be sending you with Conan, Jack, Raymundus, Josson, Asselin, Degore, and Jeffry. You will leave as soon as Jack has mended."
    Assuming he does mend. thought Leo spitefully. 

~ ~ ~

Leo lay on his cot in the barracks, sighing internally for the 500th time that evening, he couldn't find sleep, that, or sleep couldn't find him. This whole traveling thing didn't seem to be in Leo's program, Why can't I just stay in one place? Asked Leo internally. Because that's the way Merek likes it. thought Leo, answering his own question. Now to sit out the next two months in boredom and rhetoric. he thought, 'll need special training for sea battles, at least that will be new. . . at first, until the trainer starts to do the exact same thing over and over, and over, and over. . . and over. . . and over. And over. And over. Slowly Leo lulled himself to sleep. . . finally. . .

~ ~ ~  

Leo was right, it was rhetorical. The fist day had been training on "How to swim." the next day "How to board a ship." then "How to keep your balance on a slippery deck." and the next day was "Guide to port and star board" 
    "Why don't they just call it right and left?" Leo remembered asking, instead of an answer, all  he got was an annoyed look from the instructor, who then ordered him to crank out 200 push-ups. He never asked again. During his time training, Leo would spend every bit of spare time he had studying the pirates attack tactics and fighting styles. He also did a great deal of research on Captain Redbeard, who it turned out, had repeatedly plagued the Kingdom of the Blade coast for decades, receding and returning like the tides on the beach, he would raid, retreat, then stike back out of the blue, the blue of the oceans depths that is. 
    The training though was the same thing the next week, and the next, and the next, for two months before Jack was able to fight again. At which time they began preparations for departure. Leo wouldn't have any tearful good byes to give this time. Which somehow made it all the more tearful, no one to leave behind and remember. Leo had realized that had been the one thing that kept him sane in Everwinter. The ability to look into the future, a future with his family, living out the last of there days in peace, but that fate had been torn from him, by the Barons and their relentless looting, and by Merek, and his incompetent rule. . .

~NL~

edited 21.02.2016
    Chapter 4 ~ The Journey
    Towering masts and imposing cannons stared down at Leo, Jack and Conan were bearing crates up the ramp to the ship. "C'mon Leo, we've gotta get this thing loaded up so we can go!" called Jack.
    "I'll be there in a sec." 
    The ship was ginormous, armed with at least twenty cannons on each side, and had three levels, the barracks, armory/storage, and the cell deck. The ships crew was fairly large, at least thirty two men, all of which were hard at work, swabbing the deck, loading the cargo, filling the armory, and preparing the flags. Leo turned and boarded the ship, carrying his belongings, a deep, unsettling anxiety took root in his gut, he had never ridden a ship before in his life, this was going to be interesting. . . 
                                                                                                     ~ ~ ~

I hate sea travel. thought Leo glumly, every wave could be felt rocking the ship from side to side like a cradle, but instead of being soothing, this was deeply unsettling. Leo barfed into the bucket next to his hammock. They didn't prepare us for this in the training.

It was night. At least, Leo thought it was night, it always looked like night in the barracks of the ship. Loud snores could be heard, nearly droning out the sound of the crashing waves, and the sound of sea sickness. This is going to be a long journey indeed.
                                                                                                    ~ ~ ~

The ship was caught in a storm on its way to the Blade Coast, delaying them by two days, the numbers of sea sickness doubled during those two days, as apparently, even some of the crew experienced difficulties with ruff sea travel, and have only stayed on because they need the money. One good thing did come from the delay though, the soldiers were able to further heighten there team knowledge, reviewing combat strategies and getting to no each other. They grew to understand, and, more importantly, respect one another. Though barfing on one another's shoes is apparently not advisable, as Conan found out the hard way. 

They spent most of their time in the barracks, rarely seeing the captain except when they would go up for fresh air. Supposedly, his name was Captain Drake. From what Leo had seen of him, which wasn't much, he was a large, burly man, with a large red beard and long red hair, and always kept his hands behind his back. He spoke with clear authority, and was enormously strict when it came to policies. One could often hear him striding around the deck, cursing and delivering orders and punishments. He certainly had a sailors tongue, this was for sure.

~NL~

edited 21.02.2016
    Chapter 5 ~ The Pirates
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leo woke with a start to the silent darkness of the ship's barracks. The nightmare passed from Leo's mind, quickly forgotten, Leo's breathing calmed, then, the stillness was mutilated with a resounding crash, the soldiers and crew members leapt to their feet, grabbing their weapons instinctively. The immense whole in the side of the ship was startling to say the least, luckily they were high enough above the water to not worry about the ship sinking. Then another crash echoed through the ship. 
    "We're under attack!" came the cry from the deck.
    No kidding. thought Leo, strapping on his armor and drawing his his bow and quiver from beneath his hammock. 
    "All men on deck!" came the gruff shout of Captain Drake.
    Leo and the other men scrambled up the ladder, the soldiers armor clanking loudly, and the crew members silent agility sweeping through the shadows. 
    "Man your battle stations!"
    Leo notched an arrow, searching frantically in the dark, foggy night for something to shoot at.
    A cannon ball sailed out of no where, hitting the mast dead center, hit tumbled to the side, the lookout screamed, falling one hundred feet into the sea with a sickening splat that sounded like hitting a rock. Without the mast, the ship now relied on it's other two, which would not nearly be sufficient for a legitimate retreat, they were going to have to fight. 
    A ship, as large as their own, began to emerge from the fog, like a beast tentatively emerging from its cage. Flaming arrows rained down on the ship, immediately setting fire to the sails and deck, the captain ordered some of his men to douse the flames with sea water, but for every fire they put out, two more replaced them. 
    This isn't the tactic used by the pirates,
    thought Leo, they would try to capture and raid he ship, not burn it down.
    "It's the pirates!" shouted Drake, "They must have found out we were coming somehow!"
    The crew members immediately tried to board the ship, while the soldiers fired at the pirates from the ship.
    This doesn't make sense. confusion distracted Leo, and a flaming arrow hit him in the joint between his bicep and his forearm, immediately setting fire to his clothing. Leo panicked, it burned so, horribly badly, the flames burst up his arm, encompassing his entire body in flame, he dropped his bow, and screamed, suddenly a force slammed into Leo from behind, sending him over board  into the waves below.

The impact stung, you would at first think that water would absorb your blow, but when you are falling from fifty feet, apparently, it doesn't. The heavy iron armor immediately dragged Leo beneath the freezing waves. Holding his breath, Leo's training kicked in, and Leo began to unstrap his armor, it was a painstakingly long process, apparently unstrapping leather isn't easy in the dark, when you're cold, and sopping wet, and can't breath. Leo managed to liberate his shin of the armor, then his thigh, Leo's descent slowed, but not enough, his lungs were screaming at him to take a breath, but he couldn't. The waves looked so beautiful above him, the reflection of the moon shone, white and pure on one side, then on the other, the raging reflection of the dancing flame, like a deadly flower, beautiful, yet dangerous. the two lights fought above Leo's head in a gorgeous display of glimmering fire and ice. The dark looked so enticing now, what was the point of fighting it, What better way to die, then trapped here, beneath the waves for eternity? Leo's head touched something soft, the sand at the bottom of the sea, Soft, like a bed. Leo smiled blissfully, the lights from the battle were distant now, all the way up there. Then, the world went dark.
                                                                                                      ~ ~ ~

Leo coughed, the sea water stung the back of his throat like liqueur on a wound.
    "Good, he's alive." said a sarcastic voice behind him, the voice sounded familiar. 
    Leo tried to sit up, but strong hands pinned him back against the cold wet sand. "Don't move." this was unmistakably the voice of Jack.
    Leo opened his eyes, Jack's face looked down at his own with worry. He tried to speak, but all he could do was let out a frustrated groan.
    "Oh, don't be like that Leo, I would think you would be happier to see us." said the sarcastic voice again, Conan's face appeared next to Jacks. 
    Leo swallowed, and tried again, "Wha, what d-" half way through, Leo's voiced cut out into a gurgle.
    "I said, I thought you would like to see the world of the living again Sherlock." 
    "No, you di-" started Leo, but his voice failed him again.
    "Yeah, I definitely did. How many fingers am I holding up?" he asked, extended his outstretched hand over Leo's face.
    "Five."
    "Wrong, four and one thumb."
    "Oh, cut it out Conan." sighed Jack. Then, turning back to Leo, he said, "The ship was attacked by the Sea Queens forces-"
    "What?" asked Leo, regaining his voice, but I thou- I thought that we were bringing soldiers and resources to the Sea Queen."
    "I was just getting to that." said Jack, "Apparently, Captain Drake was actually Captain Redbeard himself. He posed as our captain in order to hold us for ransom, but the Sea Queen attacked his ship, having immediately recognized it as The Ochre, Captain Redbeard's command ship. During the battle, the arrow hit your arm, and when you were set on fire, Conan ran into you and pushed you overboard to save your life from the flames. The ship was borded by the Sea Queen's troops soon after that, and her commander informed us of the predicament, Redbeard unfortunately, escaped with most of his crew, and all of the other soldiers that we sent. The troops immediately fished you out, and brought you here, where they have nursed you back to health for the past two days."
    "And there you have it, a basic recapitulation of three days worth of events in about five minutes, I envy you, the rest of the world had to take the long way 'round." said Conan.
    Finally Leo found the heart to crack a smile.

~NL~

edited 09.03.2016
    Chapter 6 ~ The Council of the Sea Queen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leo was awoken by the harsh drum roll of rain on the roof of the hospital. Sighing, Leo sat up, he was now able to move about without much difficulty, in a few days he would be released and sent to attack Captain Redbeard's fleet, until then, he would be wasting his time lounging around on a rather uncomfortable hospital bed. 
    One of the nurses, having heard his movement, peeped around the curtain. "Oh, sit down, you'll injure yourself."
    The nurses were so demeaning here.
    "The stupid bed keeps giving me back aches." said Leo.
    Suddenly the nurses face turned hard, "Tough." she came over and practically dragged Leo back onto the bed, then proceeded to pull the covers over him so tightly it felt as though they were restraining straps on a torture chair.
    Sighing, Leo complied, obviously there was nothing he could do to sway her professional opinion. 
    Just then, a messenger, clad in leather armor and a green tunic, strode into the room carrying a scroll, handing the scroll to Leopold, he took a step back a patently waited for Leo to read it. Carefully,  Leo untied the parchment, the official seal of the Sea Queen was inked into the back. Unraveling it, Leo slowly pored over the content. It read:

Dear Leopold,

You are hereby summoned to the council of the Sea Queen for the battle with the infamous Captain Redbeard. We have decided, despite your current physical condition, that you are capable of attending this meeting, and should be there as your role in this battle will be crucial. The council should take about three to four hours, there will be food and drink provided. Please arrive in your armor. The council shall take place immediately, we will be anticipating your arrival, don't disappoint. 

Sincerely,

~The Sea Queen

She certainly is one for surprises. thought Leo, And why would she want me to arrive in my armor?
    "You will probably find out when you get there." said the nurse standing next to him.
    Startled, Leo realized that he must have said that out loud. 
    "I await your response noble sir." said the messenger.
    "I will be there, just give me a minute to release myself from these restraints disguised as blankets so that I might get suited up."
    "You'd better hurry, the Sea Queen is not one to disappoint." said the nurse, with a mischievous gleam in her eye.
    As if I would ever disappoint royalty. scoffed Leo.
                                                                                           ~ ~ ~

The state of the room conveyed a message of urgency, war officers bustled around like ants, bearing orders and other crucial information. Leo spotted Jack and Conan, also suited into their armor, debating with one of the officers about something. In the center of the room was a large table with a mosaic of the region on it, and upon close inspection, Leo realized that it was made of mother of pearl and other types of shells. On the table, was a golden compass. Strange, thought Leo, why would one use their riches for something like that? But what really caught Leo's eye, was the Sea Queen, she was beautiful, dressed extravagantly in a blue dress with a pink trim, she had a pink coral crown, a light blue veil, pearl jewelry, and a scepter, the end a peace of coral, carved to look like a mermaid, riding the waives. She had a narrow face, grey, stormy eyes, and dark blue hair. Like the bottom of the sea. with that thought, Leo snapped out of his "coma" and shivered, remembering the icy cold stillness of the ocean, swallowing him like a midnight snack.
    Next to her, and all around the room, stood many guards, each armed with an epee and clad in leather armor with blue tunics. 
    A herald announced Leo's forthcoming, calling everyone's attention to Leo. He hadn't know that he was afraid of attention before, but now he was. His mind seemed to decide to go on a vacation, leaving him standing there dumbly. Suddenly, his brain changed its mind, and returned, Leo strode forward, now with an air or purpose, and knelt down before the queen. Took her hand, and kissed it. "Your majesty, your reputation deceives you, you have far out shone your wonderful hospitality and majesty." said Leo.
    Blushing, the Sea Queen withdrew her hand, "Your flattery had better lie with your heart."
    "It does your majesty."
    A general interrupted their conversion, "Pardon the intrusion, but we must proceed with the council."
    "Of course." said the Sea Queen.

"The pirates fleet is located here." said on of the officers, pushing small ship figurines into position in the mosaic.
    "How many do they number?" asked Conan.
    "By our reconnaissance, they number at least two thousand men, with a fleet numbering around five hundred."
    "We could send in small one maned suicide ships into the fleet under the cover of darkness, they would be filled with explosives, that would blow wholes in the ship, causing them to sink." suggested Jack.
    "It would take far too many men to make that plan successful, besides, after the first explosion, they would all be alerted to our presence, and would shoot the other boats out of the water." rebuffed one of the commanders.
    "How many soldiers do we total?" asked Leo.
    "Around one thousand."
    Leo sat back, propping the palm of his hand beneath his chin and studying the positions of the fleet. "What if we earned the support of Seine, the great beast of the sea?"
    "No, Seine has long disappeared without a trace, there will be no help from the great beasts anymore." said the Sea Queen.
    "In that case, then we should split into four groups, attacking from the left, right, and front, meanwhile, the fourth, smaller group sails around to the back where the flag ship is, to rescue the soldiers, and, if we can, defeat Redbeard."
    The officers fell silent, silent, considering the plan. 
    "We may be too spread out to do any lasting damage to his ranks, a more focused attack may prove more fatal." said one.
    "If we used the explosives in the ships to blow up the other ships to make way for our own, it might prove successful." said Conan, steeling, and improving, Jack's idea. 
    "Remember, the pirates will want to capture our ship, we want to destroy their own ships, this makes it much easier, and gives us a tactical edge towards victory." reminded Jack.
    "They'll never know what hit them." sneered the Sea Queen, startling everyone.
    "It's settled then." said Leo.
    "Wait just a moment." said the Sea Queen, "We'll need to select the leaders of each of these teams."

They squabbled on for several hours until a consensus was reached, General Tsu would lead the frontal attack, Commander Tide would direct the left attack, while Leo would lead the sneak attack. It took Leo a while to realize that the other leader's titles were actually code names, and not their real ones. 

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016
    Chapter 7 ~ Premonition
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "You're going to need a new suit of armor."
    "Why?" Asked Leo, "This armor has suited me perfectly fine for my entire military career."
    "Because, If you fall into the water, you'll drown in that." then he pointed at a rack of leather armor, "You're going to want that."
    Leo shivered in remembrance of his sub-marine death wish, the icy cold tendrils, snaking their way into his already devastated mind, Leo snapped back to reality, dispelling the nightmare as quickly as it had invaded. "Won't the leather just get water logged, and drag me under?" 
    The armorer smiled smugly, "We coat our armor in a special lather, it keeps it from doing that."
    Suddenly interested, Leo asked, "Would you mind giving me a bit of it?"
    "I'm sorry, no can do."
    Fine then, I see how it is. thought Leo, instead he said "Well in that case-"

The leather was soft to the touch, and smelled faintly of pine. Leo strapped the leather armor to himself, it was much lighter then his heavy iron armor, and allowed for a far greater range of motion, flexing his arm, Leo tested the armor's abilities, it bent, and moved with his body, and acted more like an extra layer of thick skin than a metal shell. Smooth, thought Leo, I like this. 
    "Hey Conan, check this out!" 
    Conan appeared around the rack, eyes expectant.
    Leo spread his legs apart, swung his arms, and dove for the ground, rolling over his shoulder and coming back up to a standing position. "Now we can finally do all of that flexibility that they trained us for in the academy!"
    Conan smiled, I was wondering when that would come in handy!" Then he added, "I still prefer the protection and stamina that the heavy armor provides."
    "I don't know," said Leo, "I think I like the leather better."
    "If you like it so much, why don't you replace your other armor with it?" asked Jack, appearing from the other side of the rack.
    Leo glanced at his metal armor, sleek, shiny, durable, he tried to picture himself ridding into battle in the leather, arrows flying through the air, axes hacking, swords slashing, "No." said Leo with an air of finality.

~ ~ ~

The oars on the boats swished through the water, the sails flapped in the wind, next to them another ship passed, as if they were in competition to arrive at their destination before the other. Behind them, rowed a fleet of mighty war ships, cannons ready, soldiers tense, preparing themselves for the chaos that is war.
    Leo breathed in a breath of the crisp, salty sea air, it pricked at his cheeks like icy needles. The sunset lit up the sky like a wildfire, golds, reds, and pinks exploded across the horizon, hovering for a short time before the sun sank behind the clouds. With the departure of the sun, the fog rose from it's resting place beneath the sea to meet them.
    Suddenly, seventy or so ships split off from the left flank of the fleet, veering to port side and disappearing into the darkness. Then a group of thirty more ships, veered to starboard, quickly exceeding the bounds of human sight. The remaining hundred ships continued their race to battle, charging courageously into the depths of night.

~ ~ ~

"Steer to starboard!" ordered Leo. The first mate relayed the order to the helmsman, who then complied, turning the ship 45 degrees to the right in order to dodge the fast approaching island of rocks. "This system of communication is a bit tedious, don't you think?" asked Leo, calling down to the fist mate, who simply shrugged.
    Leo was standing in the crows nest, which he had decided was the best place on a ship, simply because if you got sea sick, you could expel your contents out into the ocean, without worry of a slippery deck, assuming that there was a storm, and the ship was rocking violently, in which case, the last place you wanted to be, was anywhere on, or near, a ship.
    The lantern on the bow of the ship faintly flickered across the silent waves, it wasn't much use for spotting rocks and small islands, which seemed to be everywhere, but they couldn't risk lighting up any more, else they might be spotted by pirate lookouts. 
    Something interrupted Leo's revery, a small speck of light, out across the sea, squinting, Leo saw that it was a flame, and it was coming straight for them! "Put out the lights!" shouted Leo, there was no need for the first mate to relay this order, nor was there time, the soldiers, including Jack and Conan, who were standing guard on the deck, leapt to their feet and dashed to the overwhelmed flame, before the first mate had a chance to speak, each of the soldiers competing to see who could snuff it out first, a similar situation occurred on the other twenty nine ships when the order was relayed. The fleet put down anchor, and hid beneath the cover of darkness, while the foreign flame multiplied, soon an entire ship's deck was visible, a swath of light in a sea of darkness. . .

~NL~

• Nice story so far Noble Leone... Keep up the good work.

-John

Member of "The People Who Have Lives"

GGS's Definition of bullying:

• Threatening someone/someone's family/relatives IN REAL LIFE (Usually results in a permanent ban)
    • Calling people excessively vulgar/racist/hateful words/names (Usually results in a 24 hour temp ban)
    Anything and Everything else is perfectly acceptable.

For those of you who think capping/hitting Outposts, Monuments, Laboratories, Resource villages is bullying, go play farmville or mahjong. THIS IS A WAR GAME!!

Got a problem with me? Just say it to my face.

#RIPTestServer2017

Quit the game on 1/14/17

~CK~
  • Thanks CoolKing! 

~NL~

• Chapter 8 ~ The Night
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The pirate ship slowly made its way through the icy waters, water sloshing to the side as it was parted by the bow of the ship. A mermaid statue decorated the front, but the pirates had painted a skeleton onto it, so instead of being greeted with a smiling mermaid, you got a snarling siren. The ship was vastly illuminated by torches, which spilled overboard and were cast out across the ocean. Soon the pirates would see Leo's fleet, Leo cursed, they were going to have to blow their cover. 
    Leo gritted his teeth in frustration, "Prepare to fire!" 
    The order was relayed from ship to ship, the soldiers stuffing the cannons full of ammunition and gun powder. The dancing and jeering stopped on the ship as well, they had heard Leo's order. 
    "Fire!" 
    The cannons fired in rapid succession, punching hole after hole in the hull of the pirate ship, cries of pain and terror echoed across the water, as the ship was quickly sucked beneath the icy waves. The bodies of pirates could be spotted jumping overboard in desperation to avoid the wreckage of the sunken ship.
    Leo breathed out the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding in, But this is only the beginning. Leo reminded himself, more were sure to come.
    "Forward!" ordered Leo, The plan has to be completed, no exceptions.

The fog once again enveloped them, it crept up their spines like tentacles, prying through their fears, Leo shivered, the eerie silence of the ocean was unnerving. Since the first pirate ship, the hadn't spotted any others, perhaps luck was with them tonight.

~ ~ ~

General Tsu stood on the balcony of his command ship, safely anchored away from the pirate fleet. The rest of Tsu's fleet was in front of him, forming a semi-circle to protect the command ship. 
    "Status update?" asked Tsu.
    "Our suicide bombers are almost completely prepared sir." reported the first mate.
    Tsu smiled to himself, This is going to be interesting.
    Just then a small dory appeared out of the fog, a single man climbed the ladder, boarding Tsu's command ship. Tsu turned to the man, "What is it?"
    "The bombers are ready."
    "Well then launch them."
    "Sir yes sir!"
    The rower retreated back to his dory, and drifted back into the darkness.

~ ~ ~

Commander Tide descended the ladder into the darkness of the interior of his ship, a rat scurried past his boot, and Tide gave it a swift kick, sending it squeaking into the shadows. His footsteps echoed in the small hallway, as he padded down to the explosives chamber. The room was illuminated by lanterns, and the sweaty men labored beneath its harsh glow. They packed explosives into individual crates, which were then given to other men, who brought the crates to the top deck to be strapped to a dory. 
    Tide watched them laboring from the shadows, watching their every move, picking up on every mistake, and catching every slacker. Then he stepped out of the darkness, startling the overseer, "We need to speed up the process." ordered Tide, "We're already behind schedule."
    "Y-yes sir." stammered the overseer, shrinking away from the white hot glare of the commander, then he frantically relayed the order to the laboring men. Tide turned, smiling, the dories would be ready in no time at all.

~NL~

• Chapter 9 ~ The Light
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Phil propelled the dory through the water, stealthily skimming the waves as he crept past enemy ships, carrying the explosives. Phil couldn't hear, nor see the other bomber dories besides him, but he knew they were there, simply by sheer instinct.
    An image of his wife appeared in Phil's mind. Phil cringed, dispelling the image. I'm doing this so that she can live in peace. thought Phil. Then a wooden hull loomed out of the fog in front of him. Phil gently slowed his dory until it softly bumped into the ship.
    Phil held out the wick, lit it, and watched it burn. Here I am, thought Phil, and here I will die. Then a bright light exploded in Phil's face, and a searing burning feeling spread quickly over his entire body. Phil re-embraced the image of his smiling wife, brown hair, smile wrinkles, bright, blue eyes, joyous personality. Then, he never thought of anything again.

Tsu stared out over the pounding waves into the misty darkness. Suddenly, a bright flash of light exploded out in the fog, a faint boom echoed across the sea. Tsu's lips twisted into a smile as another explosion flared up, and another, and another. The battle had started. "Move our flanking ships into position Lieutenant." ordered Tsu.
    "Yes sir." responded the Lieutenant.

~ ~ ~

Redbeard sat at his table, contently scarfing the fresh sea food, he tipped his head back, dribbling the oyster down his throat. Then he picked out a few shrimp, popped them into his mouth, and chewed, the shrimp meat rimmed his lips, catching itself up in his magnificently large beard. The soldiers, in torn cotton clothing, having been stripped of their armor, they sat, tied together to a decorative mast, re-purposed into Redbeard's quarters. 
    Redbeard glanced at the captured soldiers, "Do'ya wan't some?"
    One of the soldiers opened his mouth to respond, but Redbeard threw a glass bottle in their direction, it shattered on impact, sending tiny razors shooting through the air, scratching several of the captured soldiers, the flinched away from the glass instinctively.
    "Shut up." ordered Redbeard, then he returned to his dinner. 
    Then a pirate burst through the door, his torn trousers and ripped shirt barely fir his brawny chest, he was sweaty, and panting, "Cap'n, th-" then he broke off, out of breath.
    "Well, spit it out then." jeered Redbeard.
    "The- the Sea Queen is attacking cap'n."
    Redbeard stood up so fast he sent his chair sliding across the floor, he slammed his good fist onto the table so hard that it splintered the wood. Then he growled through gritted teeth, "What- is their- current- position?"
    "I- I- ."
    "SPIT IT OUT YOU IDJIT!" shouted Redbeard, startling the soldiers
    "I- I don't know." mumbled the Pirate.
    "You- don't- know." repeated Redbeard, he face turning red with anger, then suddenly he turned around, "I see." then he whirled around, throwing a knife hurtling through the air, it impaled itself in the pirate's chest, his gasp was cut short, as his mouth overflowed with blood and his eyes turned dull and lifeless. He tumbled to the floor. The soldiers flinched, trying to stay as far away from Redbeard as possible. Redbeard stalked out of the room, his good hand drumming his knife-hand furiously, the heavy door slammed shut behind Redbeard with smothering finality. The body of the pirate was pooling with blood, and the dark red liquid flowed across the floor. The soldiers sighed, huddling together for comfort, enjoying this brief moment of semi-freedom.

~NL~

• Lil Old Lady (US1)Lil Old Lady (US1) Posts: 4,507US1
    Howdy there my Noble Sir Noble Leone,

Wherefore this my Noble Sir, is a very good read for
    this Lady, for it does so please thy mind to keep it well fed
    with such tales as this my Noble Sir,
    therefore do so keep up so
         said great work......

Miss BeeBee    <3 
    Related imageImage result for funny archery fails gifsImage result for funny shooting arrows gifs
  • Thank you Miss BeeBee, 

I love the feedback, and recommendations that I'm getting, lots of great opinions and criticism, and I'm not even half way done yet, and the story will only continue to get better!

~NL~

•    Like a fine wine? B)B)B)B)
  • Are you an author in RL Noble Leone?

If not you ought to be...I like your story :)

I wrote a small story here in the forum, would you care to look at it and give me some ideas or even help me finish it?

Proud leader of Swords of Glory,

Jev7

• What is the name?

~NL~

• It is named   Here is a story for another event:

Proud leader of Swords of Glory,

Jev7

Sign In to comment.