Home Strategy & Tactics Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

A Basic Guide to Attacking

Hi everyone, I'm a level 56 and have been playing this game for quite a long time. Here's a guide on general attack strategy, I will make another one for defending soon. Never use autofill!

Always make sure you get a spy report on your target before you attack them or you will have no idea what you’re up against.

Once you have your spy report, check how many flanks are defended.

If only 1 flank is defended and the troop limit on that flank is too low to break through, you’re better off attacking the other 2 undefended flanks and fighting equally in the keep.

If attacker breaks through all 3 flanks he gets a 30% bonus in the keep.

2 flanks broken through, 1 flank held: 0% bonus

1 flank broken through, 2 flanks held: defender gets 30% bonus

So unless it’s ABSOLUTELY necessary, make sure you always attack more than one flank.

How Attacking Works: The troops fight each flank and all the surviving troops advance to the keep where they fight to win the battle.

As an example, let’s say you’re attacking this castle:

Left Flank: 60 Halberdiers, 40 Longbowmen, 100% Wall, 125% Ranged

Front: Empty

Right Flank: 40 Archers, 120% Wall

You have 100 2-handed swordsmen and 100 heavy crossbowmen plus a few other random cheap soldiers.

First send a wave with 1 cheap soldier on the left and 1 on the right to get rid of the tools.

You could either attack all 3 flanks with more losses, or go for the front and right flank so you have more soldiers in the keep, depending on the castellan bonuses.

If you attacked all 3 flanks, on the second wave, use 10 scaling ladders on the left flank to get rid of the 100% bonus and at least 5 mantlets to get rid of the +25% bonus on the ranged soldiers. The melee:ranged soldier ratio of the defence is 60:40 so try a 40:60 because ranged attackers are better against melee and melee better against ranged. So put 40 2 handed swordsmen and 60 longbowmen on the left flank. You can put just one cheap soldier on the front because there are no defenders, and put an all-melee wave of the remaining 60 2H Swordsmen because it’s all ranged defenders, plus 12 scaling ladders to get rid of the 120% bonus.

To attack just 2 flanks, make sure you use the above mentioned tools to get rid of the massive bonuses, then fill up the right with 2 handed swordsmen because archers are all ranged, then fill the front with as many soldiers as possible.

ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU USE TOOLS OR YOU’LL BE BEATEN BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN START!
It is not necessary to quote my post if it is obvious who you're talking to. Only quote it if completely necessary. It's probably also not necessary to quote the entire thing, just a sentence or so.

Comments

• Note:
    This strategy only works when your attacking foreigners. When you're attacking real players tool clearance in the first wave won't work because people have more than one tool in a slot. Therefore when attacking real players always attack all flanks with maximum troops and tools. 
    Surfer @ nl 1
  • Tool Cleaners work only on foreigns and NPCs...
    Revolc @ USA 1
  • Hmm May make a video on basic attacking strats...
    Hello, My name is Matthew and well... I play and record GGE feel free to check it out below!

• Tool Cleaners work only on foreigns and NPCs...
    Thank you for repeating what I said

Surfer @ nl 1
  • Pallu (IN1)Pallu (IN1) Posts: 569
    foreigners have only 1 tool per slot????
    A Pattern, Maybe? http://prntscr.com/9fceqb

My main castle: http://prntscr.com/9fcfmb

• foreigners have only 1 tool per slot????
    Yep!

[email protected]

Cant be bothered to play properly any more but still active!!!

• real players can change sides (even sometimes for Foreign Lords), so you're tactic has high risk of getting the -30% at the keep if you're so unlucky that the defender is awake. besides, with the arrows, the total power of ranged is 125%. Just send 25 wooden manlets to reduce the ranged to 0% so only ranged attackers needed to clear out the melee defenders.
    Empire Knights on UK1.

On and off.

this is my ask thread: https://community.goodgamestudios.com/empire/en/discussion/296736/ask-vamp-3#latest

I know you're wearing thin down to the core.

So hold your breath.

• jonnyboi (US1)jonnyboi (US1) US1 Posts: 1
    If you attack an enemy only from the flanks do you still need to fight the ones in the front? Do they go to the courtyard?

• Hands up (GB1)Hands up (GB1) GB1 Posts: 215

@jonnyboi (US1) If you only attack the flanks you will not fight the ones in the just the courtyard.

• Imperius (GB1)Imperius (GB1) GB1 Posts: 970
    I'll better explain if you hit flanks and they defend middle those troops go to the courtyard and you will not get the +30% CY bonus by not winning all 3 so it's quite pointless to do so unless it's a snipe hit or BD. 
  • Attack the people closest to you first. You have better chances of taking out your opponent closest to you than one on the other side of the map.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

Sign In to comment.