Home US Migration Content - Community

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

~Empire Legends ~ Inception~

Dear Reader,

Welcome to Empire Legends, this is a Goodgame Empire Fan Fiction, and is the first of four improved installations to this series. Please don't write the story, as that has been left up to the author, Noble Leone, comments, ideas, and suggestions are welcome though! Please enjoy the story!

~ Empire Legends ~ Inception ~

~ By:Noble Leone ~
Post edited by Noble Leone (ASIA1) on

~"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."~

~NL~

Comments

• Noble Leone (ASIA1)Noble Leone (ASIA1) Posts: 1,633
    edited 27.02.2016
    ~Empire Legends~

~Inception~

"King Ludwig, has arrived!" announced the herald, straining his voice to be heard over the din of the banquet.
    The servants took Ludwig's cloak and hung it with the others, Ludwig wandered into the chaotic dinner, quickly making himself at home. The King of Mirilde stood on the stairwell, overlooking the ball room, his ball room. A look of faint amusement spread over his face when Ludwig slipped and fell into Lady Beatrice, who had been stuffing her face full of cakes, the two had falling over like boulders, they were probably about as heavy as one if weighed collectively as well. However, the smile did little to suppress the now permanent stress lines, neither the near-constant scowl, nor harsh undertone in his voice, but they were trivial rhetoric in the face of what true aftermath could come should he fail in his duties as king. The kingdom needs as many allies as it can get. he thought grimly.
    The king's son, Merek, bounced up to his fathers side, "Father, father, may I please go play with the Sea Princess?"
    And then there is the matter of Merek, thought the boy's father, he isn't nearly ready to be my heir to the throne, I will have to find time to tutor him, but how?
    "Please father?"
    The king awoke from his revery, "What? Oh, yes of course."
    The boy dashed off through the crowd, disappearing from sight. As soon as Merek left however, Olafsson, lord of the Norsemen appeared, tromping up the steps, he was large, and burly, with a heavy white beard, and thick fur clothing, at this time, he couldn't have been much older than nineteen, but he had made many accomplishments, and was not to be taken lightly, in his deep voice he boomed, "King of Mirilde, I've been looking for you!"
    "I've been standing in this step for the last half hour."
    "Yes, of course, but I am not here for idle chit-chat, nor the food, though I'm not complaining, your wife's cooking is marvelous!"
    "She didn't cook this, that was the maids."
    "Ah, yes of course, but my point is, that isn't it time we got down to business, before we lose track of why we're all here?"
    "Actually, yes we should, would you like to go first?"
    "Well, actually, uh," a deep furrow buried deep into his forehead.
    This is strange behavior, even for him. thought the King.
    "Sure, I'll negotiate first." he finally replied.
    "Great, shall we adjourn elsewhere? Perhaps where we can clearly hear one another?"
    The two dignitaries strode op the steps to the throne room, a long hall, with a raised throne, which was sitting on a small stair, surrounded in imperial purple curtains. A stained glass window was set above the throne, through which the sun shone through, painting a royal blue pattern across the red carpet, as the ivory pillars rose, towering over the two lords, as they argued back and forth, the King of Mirlide in his throne, and Olafsson standing at the bottom of the dais.
    "You need to respect our borders!" said Olafsson, his voice raising in anger, "The next expedition you send into Everwinter will be dealt with swiftly!"
    "I've told you before Olafsson, Mirilde needs charcoal, and unless you are willing to trade with us, then what other solution do you propose?"
    "You would seal a deal with me? Despite my past with the great wolf Fenrir?"
    Suddenly hissing, the King of Mirilde leaned forward on his throne, "How dare you accuse me of betraying the great beasts!"
    Olafsson smiled, "I see I've struck a tender cord."
    "Shut up." The king sighed and sat back against his throne, his chin resting in the palm of his hand, he looked half his previous size.
    Olafsson observed this, "I will allow you into Everwinter under one condition."
    "And that is what?" the King didn't sound particularly interested.
    "If you give me a portion of all your stalks, I'll pretend you aren't there, considering your options, I suggest you take it."
    The king squirmed in his seat, calculating all of the portions and profit that would be gained from either course of action."We'll split it 80/20."
    "80/20 is to low for me, what about 20/80, take it or leave it."
    "20/80? That's absurd!"
    "I'm letting you hunt on my land, hunting space is precious in Everwinter, almost as precious as your rubies."
    "It's still absurd."
    "If you don't want it, than leave it, and risk war with the Norsemen, beware, we are not to be made your enemy."
    "You leave me no choice." wimpered the king, his voice almost raising to a wail, the guards, whose primary duty was to remain impassive, all jumped, this was the last thing they had expected. 
    Olafsson was obviously amused by this, a cruel smile spread across his face, his eyes glittered malevolently. "I wonder what your son will think," he said, whirling around and marching out the doors.
    I have failed my kingdom, I have failed my wife, and I have failed my son. was the first to strike the King, the second, was an arrow, shattering through the stained glass of the sky light, it flew straight through the king's head, he froze, gasped, his eyes widening in fear, then they slowly drained of life, he collapsed into his chair, the guards rushing to track down the assassin. They never caught him.

"Eh-em." the herald cleared his throat solemnly, no one listened, "EH-EM!" still, the crowd ignored him.
    Then the queen yelled, "SHUT UP YOU IDIOTS!" the room quickly grew quiet, anyone who spoke received a fairly terrifying treatment of the "stink-eye".
    "Right, as I was saying-" started the herald, but he was quickly interrupted by the queen.
    "My husband is dead, and I want to know who is responsible!" 
    "Which is why each of you will be interrogated thoroughly, in the unlikely case that it was one of you that hired the assassin. Now, has anyone left the banquet as of yet?" asked the herald.
    The people in the room looked guiltily at each other, "Olafsson, Lord Olafsson left shortly before you burst into here." they said.
    "He took the Baron King with him as well!" chimed in one of the attenders.
    The queen sat down onto one of their seats, she withered into herself, no longer conscious of her surroundings, she began to weep, and was quickly joined in by Merek, he didn't exactly know why he, not his mother were crying, he was too young to understand much at all, but he cried on anyways, partly for attention, partly for empathy.
    After a few minutes the queen stood back up, setting Merek aside, "This is an act of war! The murderers who committed this crime, will pay for their actions, and will be brought before the eye of justice!"

~NL~

edited 27.02.2016
    Chapter 1 ~ The Peasant
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leo ran down the hall of his small farm house on the outskirts of Arkaley, the capital city of Mirilde, he pulled open a closet, and stepped inside, closing the door behind him, the small storage space was immediately plunged into darkness, though a small crack of light could be seen beneath the door. Leo stood perfectly still, regulating his accelerated breathing so that he couldn't be heard from the other side of the door. Soft foot steps followed down the hall, only pausing for a second in front of the closet door. Leo breathed the breath that he hadn't previously realized he'd been holding. he chuckled softly to himself, little sisters could be so gullible sometimes.
    "Leo, you need to water the wheat!" called his mother through the door, Leo hadn't noticed her shadow, faintly visible beneath the door.
    It's too bad parents aren't so easily fooled. "Yes mother.", he walked out of the closet, and was immediately greeted with his little sister, Lucy, leaping up and down yelling, "I've found you, I've found you!" over and over again.
    Leo ignored his sisters complaints about him not playing more Hide and Go Seek, and went out to gather the pales of water.
    Alright, now, what is going on today? Leo asked himself, as was Leo's ritual during his chores, he carefully mapped out the day, pondering exactly when this was going to take place, or when that was going to happen, though every once and a while he would remember some event, and would have to back track a bit and re-write the plan, but eventually he settled with the right schedule. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be much to do, Jack, and all of the other boys of fourteen years or older, had been drafted for the Royal Militia of Mirlide, Leo shuddered remembering the bitter reality of what had happened. . .

Leo had sat down in Jack's kitchen, it was his fourteenth birthday, and Leo had been invited over to hold a small celebration. Unfortunately, it hadn't gone so well, the adults in the room would frequently leave, and would disappear for at least ten minutes each time, and would return red in the face, and teary eyed. Leo and Jack had silently agreed to not pry, but, as it turned out, there hadn't been a need, they found out soon enough. Soldiers arrived out of the blue, it was bizarre, Jack's mother had tried to stop them from doing something, but they had barged past her, quickly knocking hr out of the way, they ran through the rooms full of dull, unpainted furniture, heading straight for Jack and Leo, Jack's mother told them to run, but one of the soldiers quickly served martial justice, turning, and severing her head from her body, Jack screamed, cursed, and kicked, but it was no use, the soldiers overwhelmed him, and dragged him away in tears. 

Afterwords Leo had gone asking around, he discovered that King Merek had decreed that all children, fourteen and up, be taken from their homes to train in harsh military environments. Information that had been mistakenly kept from the two boys. Leo awoke every morning from nightmares, and his siblings had complained of him screaming in his sleep. 
    Think positively, think positively. . .
    Leo chided himself.
    What is their to think positively of? asked Leo, suddenly switching sides.
    Family. this thought brought Leo back to Earth, and he continued to reason with himself, We'll always have family to keep us sane, besides, once we are drafted in a few weeks, perhaps we'll see Jack again. 
    Jack, the one thought that gave him hope for an otherwise dismal future, It will be my fourteenth birthday in a few weeks now, it will be a new chance to serve my Kingdom with undying loyalty, fighting against the Baron King, and the Barbarian, helping other kingdoms, I'll be a hero!
    Yeah, with a price. thought Leo cynically, Once I leave, there won't be many men left in this family to tend the farms, we'll have to move elsewhere like jacks family did.
    Well then, we could exonerate ourselves.
    You know as much as I, what happens to soldiers who exonerate themselves.
    Leo caught himself, well now you are referring to yourself in third person, way not to go crazy.

Leo finished irrigating the fields at noon, presently, he was the oldest boy in the house, his father Daniel, and his older brother had both been taken, next was Leo, then his younger brother. Then there wouldn't be anyone to take care of the fields, What are we going to do?

~ ~ ~

"Happy birthday! Even if it isn't really your birthday!" said Annabel mockingly.
     Leo's family had decided to hold an early surprise party for him one week before his real birthday, the shadow of drafting hung over the celebration, but at least it hadn't been interrupted by men in shiny armor.

This was something that couldn't be said the same for his real birthday, at precisely 12:00 PM, the soldiers arrived.
    Knock, knock, knock, came the sound from the door.
    Leo, who'd been anticipating this, seized the handle violently, and thrust the door open, the sun glinted off of their armor, nearly blinding Leo, it was like staring at a giant mirror, angled just correctly to blind you.
    "Are you Leopold Gerbrandt, son of Daniel?" asked one of the soldiers.
    "Yeah, that's me." muttered Leo, his energy seamed to have betrayed him, and he now felt like an empty husk, which was probably for the better, he didn't want to start tearing up in front of the soldiers. Then a cloud passed over the sun, and Leo got a good look at the soldiers faces, he let out a gasp, they were the same people, who had murdered Jack's parents. . .
    Leo's mom came up behind him, but her presence did little to sooth the boiling rage pent up inside him, his fists clenched and his face twisted into a malevolent glare.
    "Common Leo, say good by to your siblings and I." said his mother, startling Leo, he bent over and hugged each of his sisters and his brother, before moving on to his mother, it had almost become a custom in the family, his father, hen he had been drafted, had hugged each of the sisters, from the eldest down, then each of the brothers, from the youngest up, then he'd said his goodbyes to their mother. Each of Leo's previous brothers had done the same, and now it was his turn, only now, there were only three of his sisters, the youngest was still a baby, and probably wouldn't recognize him if they met again, and there was only one other brother left as well, a dramatically depleted number from its original position. "I'm going to miss you Leo.' cried his mother softly.
    "I know mother." smiled Leo regretfully. They embraced for several more seconds before the soldiers pulled him away from her.
    "Alright, that's enough."
    Leo reluctantly complied, and allowed himself to be marched into the carriage with his small amount of belongings, and whisked out of sight into the metropolis of Mirilde.

~NL~

edited 27.02.2016
    Chapter 2 ~ Royal Militia of Mirilde
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "One Hundred ninety one !" shouted the Drill Sergeant. They had been doing push ups for about sixty minutes non-stop, and if you did stop, they had to start over. "One hundred ninety two!" ordered the Drill Sergeant This is ridiculous,thought Leo. "One hundred ninety three!" yelled the Drill Sergeant. I'd like to see him do this. thought Leo resentfully. "One hundred ninety four!" Leo's arms started to wobble,No jelly arms, no jelly arms! screamed Leo to himself
    "One hundred ninety five!" shouted the Drill Sergeant. Finally he collapsed onto the ground, unable to continue. "YOU! Screamed the Drill Instructor, "DID I SAY YOU COULD REST??!!" "No Sir." said Leo glumly. "WHAT, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" Yelled the Drill Instructor. "No Sir!" yelled Leo, but not as loudly as the Drill Instructor. "THEN GET BACK UP AND WE'RE STARTING OVER! ordered the Drill instructor. Receiving quite a few resentful looks from the other students, they restarted again, and again, and again, until finally the Drill Instructor got bored and moved on to the next torture device he had up his sleeve.

Jack hadn't been at the training camp, meaning he could have been in any of the other three cities, or any of the three outer forts, training individually. Meaning it could be any amount of time until he finally got to reunite with him, not to mention his older brother Bert, and his Father, who was already fighting for the Malitia. I am alone, for the next four years I will be alone. I won't be able to devote attention to friendships, I need to focus on my training so that I can see my family again. 

~ ~ ~

Leo stepped forward, swinging a punch, his opponent, who's name was Conan, slipped to the side, quickly grabbing his arm, applied pressure to Leo's shoulder, and threw Leo to the ground. They then flipped their roles, military camp consisted of drills like these every day. Simply put, they were getting boring.
    Surprisingly enough, the drill instructor introduced a new drill to them, it was called, the "Pay attention or else." It was employed when one of the students let themselves be punched in the face because they weren't paying attention, probably because they were bored, the drill instructor responded by screaming at the student so ferociously, that the student collapsed to the ground in shame, the instructor never even had to lay a hand on the lad, it was almost like magic.

~ ~ ~

Leo laid on his military cot, staring at the cot above him, turned, picked up a small rock, and scratched a mark into the wall, 61 days now, two months. The training was not only physically engaging, but mentally as well. The military doesn't want people, they want mindless killing machines. thought Leo, But I wont let them take my mind. They train us to kill, to show no mercy, but if we are going to be human, we will show mercy! Leo went on in his silent rage, fuming over the loose morals of the military. But something didn't make sense: How could he love his kingdom, yet still refuse to fight for it simultaneously? This was the question that Leo grappled with himself for the next few months. 

The training gradually grew harder, more demanding, more engrossing. One day they did parkour, leaping over obstacles, rolling under bars, and literally bouncing off of walls, many things that Leo hadn't been allowed to do at home. Then they stopped feeding them. This was when things got really difficult, they would now have to hunt, and steal for food. Conan had voiced his complaints about this move openly, claiming it was "impractical" and "cruel". "If the military wants us to be loyal and strong, why would they force us to steal in order to survive?" he'd asked a little to loudly in the commons. One of the drill officers standing nearby didn't hesitate to whip him with his belt, and loudly proclaimed their motives for doing this, "It trains you to do whatever it takes to survive in any situation." he'd said, it breaks you of your soft, privileged lives so you can actually be useful in life."
    To which Leo had thought, Privileged? You're delirious if you think most of us were privileged.
    But Leo did admit that they had a point, was it controversial? Most definitely.

~ ~ ~

A shadow stole into the dark, the shapeless form stuck to the shadows, seeming to melt in and out of existence indefinitely. The light from the kitchen was a small rebellion, fighting back against the oppressive darkness of night. The shadow crept up to the door, peeking inside to see that the coast was clear. Slowly, it slipped into the kitchen, silently stealing meats, breads, and cheeses, shoving them quickly into a large sack, shelves were swiped, pantries emptied, slaughter houses raided, until the sack was stuffed full of everything the burglar could fit in. Swiftly, the thief swept out of the room, hiding once again among the shadows, in the morning, all of the trainees were well fed. Of course though, the cooks took notice, and dealt severe whipping sessions to every single one of them, But it was worth it.

~NL~

edited 27.02.2016
    Chapter 3 ~ Recruiter
    Leo scratched another mark onto his wall. 1400, thought Leo, 60 more to go, I'm going to make it!
    Assuming all goes well. 
    he thought.
    For once there was no response from the optimistic side of his brain, Leo took no notice.
    I have a sixty day minimum to become a squire, he thought, so don't get cocky kid.
    Leo laid to one side, as thought to tell his brain that he was changing the subject, muscular and thickly built, Leo was no longer the wiry farm boy, nearly four years of harsh training had done that to him. 

~ ~ ~

Leo stood still, holding his training sword in a guard, his blond hair soaked by the rain. He faced his opponent, anticipating an attack. The other student stepped forward, swinging his sword in an attempt to slice Leo's stomach, Leo side stepped, swinging his sword up, past his opponent's guard to cut his chest, his opponent dodged to the side, swinging for a head shot, Leo ducked, spun, and twirled around, swinging his sword and, thwonk! The sword connected with his opponent's neck padding, a decapitation, had it been a real sword fight.
    "Good Leo, now do it again." ordered the Instructor.
    Leo silently complied, getting back into battle stance. The boys were showing their skills for the selection, one of the recruiters had come to assess their progress, and to hand pick the boys that would come to the barracks to serve as squires.
    This time Leo attacked first, lunging in to stab his opponent's chest, his opponent swung his sword around his body, parrying the thrust, he circled his sword around his body for momentum, and swung out for a head strike, Leo quickly recoiled his own blade, swinging it up for a counter strike, he spun underneath his opponent's blade, reversing his grip, and stabbing his opponent in he stomach padding. With an grunt, his opponent was knocked to the ground by the force of the strike. Leo helped him up.
    Leo spun around as he detected the sound of boots, tromping through mud. It was the recruiter, "Leopold, I'd like to speak to you."
    Great. what did I do now?
    He's going to promote us idiot. thought Leo, scolding himself.
    Instead he said "Sure, it'd b nice to get out of the rain."
    Once they'd gotten inside, the recruiter led him to the commons, "Your fighting skills are impressive."
    "Thanks, I'v honed them for the last four years."
    "Is that so?" asked the recruiter.
    What's he getting at? He knows, probably better than I, how long I'v been here. although he said "Indeed."
    "It shows in your skills."
    He's trying to flatter me.
    "I think that you would make a fine addition to our ranks in the Militia."
    Alright, time to choose, mercy, or Militia. thought Leo, You can choose to not kill, and be killed for disobeying orders, or you can become one of their mindless killing machines. then he said "I accept your proposal."
    The recruiter smiled, "Great, gather your things and meet with the sergeant in the office in two hours." then he stood up and walked away, leaving Leo in the commons.
    What have I done? he asked himself.
    You've survived.
    But I won't be living.
    Survive first, live later, get used to it wimp.
    Then he too, stood, and walked to the drill ground's barracks to gather his things.

~NL~

edited 01.03.2016
    Chapter 4 ~ Recruited
    Trousers, check. Stockings, check. Cloak, check. Shirt, check. Poncho, check. Leo stuffed his belongings into his chest, closing, and locking it with a sigh. The sooner I leave this place, will be too late. Leo hoisted the chest up, and clumsily carried it down the halls to the stage coach that awaited him. With a heave, Leo plopped the chest into the storage at the back of the coach. 

Clippity clop, clippity clop, the horses' hooves clacked against the cobble stone streets, lined with shops and homes. Random citizens ran up to the horse, combing through its mane and cleaning its hooves, the people's expert hands managed to get the job done in a matter of seconds, the driver would toss them each a silver coin for their labors. The streets were busied by people, running back and forth like busy ants, or mice, scurrying away from an invisible cat. People rushed around with small packages, or purses full of newly bought belongings. Most of the people, Leo noted, appeared rich, with ribbons flowing from the women's hair, and extravagant cloaks billowing behind the men's wake. However, Leo noticed the occasional beggar, rattling a small metal jar of coins, the richer citizens would often deliver a swift kick to the beggar, usually leaving them gasping for air. One man, notably blind, was being beaten by a gang of young boys, the man was huddled his hands protecting his head, as the boys kicked his sides, laughing. 
    "Hey, leave him alone!" shouted Leo.
    The boys looked up from their fun at Leo, glowering from his coach, the driver had come to a stop, allowing some of the street cleaners to tend to his horse. The boys snickered, and slowly turned and walked away. But not without sending one last kick the blind beggar's way.
    "Thank you young lad." said the beggar, talking in the direction of the alleyway. 
    Leo tossed him a bag of coins, landing with a clank next to the blind mans foot. He nelt, feeling around for the bag, finally he picked it up, and smiled back at the wall.
    Leo's coach started to move again, and Leo called out a farewell, the blind man waved good by to the wall, sat down, and began begging again, this time facing the alley way. Leo smiled, sitting back against the leather seat, sighing with content.

~ ~ ~

The coach ground to a halt, and Leo unloaded himself and his chest, lugging it into the barracks. 
    "Hello." greeted a young man, "You must be Leopold, here let me take that." he signaled at the chest, and Leo handed it to him.
    The man then handed the chest to two boys, not much younger than Leo, and they carried it silently up a flight of stair and disappeared somewhere above. 
    "Your belongings will be taken to your quarters, which you will be sharing." said the man, "Please, follow me, I shall give you a tour of the facility. Oh, i almost forgot, my name is Ebeneezer by the way."
    Leo followed Ebeneezer down the hall for the tour. The barracks were three floors high, the commons and armory were on the bottom floor, with the dormitory on the second and the deck on the top. There was also a basement used to store food, extra weapons, and explosives. 
    After the tour, Leo retired to his quarters, with were dully decorated. Though the flag of Mirilde hung on the wall. A nice touch, they should do that in the drill camp.
    Leo's chest was set against the wall, next to an unoccupied cot, on the other side of the room, was another cot, strewn with clothes and armor. 
    Then the door opened, and a boy with tanned skin, and long brown curly hair walked in, he stopped, and stared at Leo, who stared back.
    "Leo?" asked the boy.
    "Jack?" asked Leo.
    "It is you!" suddenly Jack ran over, and tackled Leo, who rolled with it, and the two wrestled on the floor, a heaving bundle of laughter, before Jack managed to pin Leo down. "I win again!" 
    Leo smiled, and Jack let him up, "It's so great to see you!"
    "I was wondering how long i would take you!" 
    "I got here in the minimum time."
    "Really?" it's felt like forever.
    "I know!" the academy was torcher.
    "Mine two, I got the academy in the forward outpost of Drilenhiem, where were you?"
    I was at the academy right here in Arkaley."
    "It's so great that we get to be room mates!" 
    "I know! It might actually make life here bearable!"
    "Might?" asked Jack daringly, then he tackled Leo again, and they were once again a wrestling bunch of kids, roughhousing in the fields when they were supposed to be harvesting, or irrigating.
    Then the bells rang, time for sleep.
    The two separated, smiling, and they retreated to their cots, Leo immediately fell asleep, and for the fist time in four years, his dreams weren't plagued by nightmares.
    Being a squire is going to be fun. was the last thought that Leo had before drifting off into sleep.

~NL~

edited 02.03.2016
    Chapter 5 ~ Beguile
    He awoke the next morning to the drummer boy banging his way through the corridor, doing his morning rounds of waking all the soldiers up. Leo and Jack rushed down to breakfast, eggs and ham. It was a quick breakfast, partly because it was small, and partly because they were starving. Wolfing down his last piece of food, Leo stood, said farewell to Jack, and went to his mentor, a Strategist and General named Sir Apotheosis.

Leo knocked on the door of his new mentor's quarters. A resounding "Come in!" answered his knock. Leo opened the door, revealing a well tidied room, decorated with war banners, weapons, and badges. A suite of armor stood in one corner, and a chest lay at the foot of a bed. Leo eyed the bed longingly. "You must be Leopold Gerbrandt, I am Apotheosis."
    "Nice to meet you sir, and you can call me Leo."
    "Well in that case, nice to meet you Leo."
    "So, what have you to teach me?"
    "A straight forward thinker I see, what about a game of chess?"
    Leo stammered, "I'm sorry, what?"
    "You heard me, lets play." said Apotheosis, standing up and walking over to the chest to pull out a chess board.
    "If you say so."

The two played for a good two hours, towards the end, Leo was had nearly wiped out Apotheosis' troops, then, out of no where, a rook slid along the side, Leo tried to counter with his knight, but that freed up Apotheosis' pawn, which he moved forward, taking out Leo's queen. Then Apotheosis' queen took out the knight, freeing the rook, Leo sent his bishop over, who killed the rook, but out of no where a knight, freed by the bishop, came in and wiped out Leo's king. "Checkmate."
    "How did you do that?" asked Leo in amazement.
    Apotheosis smiled, tapping his head, "Sometimes straightforward thinking isn't the way to go."

~ ~ ~

Leo laid in his cot, Jack snored from across the room. I don't like chess anymore.

Leo sat on the floor in Apotheosis' room, maps of Mirilde and Arkaley were spread in front of him. Apotheosis stared from across the room. Leo glared at the maps. "Something's not right." he finally said.
    "Very good, can you name the problem?"
    Leo glared some more, "The defenses on the left flank, its too weak, not enough arrow slits, and the amount of defenders isn't enough either."
    "Anything else?"
    "No, i don't think so."
    Apotheosis walked over, and pulled a map out from the bottom of the pile, and placed it on top, it was a diagram of the design for the castle walls. 
    Leo studied it, until he saw the issue that that his mentor had been talking about. "The left flank's wall is badly designed, it's weak, and needs more support."
    Apotheosis smiled, "Indeed it does."
    "Why doesn't King Merek fix the wall?"
    Apotheosis remains silent, pondering an answer, finally he said, "Because, we don't have enough money."
    "What do you mean? I thought Merek was the richest king in the land."
    "Not necessarily, he once was, but this war with the Barons and the Norsemen has depleted our supplies. And the Barons continue to grow in strength and support, it seems as though for every time we defeat them, they only grow stronger."
    "Oh" was all Leo said.

~ ~ ~

Leo was once again awoken by the sound of the drums, it was his third month of training, and Leo was becoming used to the General's unpredictable, yet incredibly effective style of instructing. One day you would come, only to find an empty room, and would have to search for two hours before finding him waiting patiently in the sword practice arena, another day, you would find an empty room, search for two hours, only to find that he had come late from breakfast, another day you would stare at maps, and another, you would strategies a plan of attack. It was just this, that Leo was doing today, only this time, instead of being in Apotheosis' quarters, he was in the encampment, where the commanders planned their attacks and discussed defensive strategies. Leo and Apotheosis were there, because their spies had sent an urgent message that the Barons would be attacking. Merek had immediately called a council, and he was now standing at the table, listening to his generals fight.
    "We need to dig trenches, so we can ambush the Barons from every direction!"
    "We don't have time to dig any trenches you imbecile!"
    Apotheosis just stared at a map of the terrain. 
    "Do you need me to fetch you anything?" asked Leo, errand boy had been his main duty thus far into the proceedings.
    Apotheosis remained silent for several moments, before finally replying, "No, but I would like for you to analyse this map for me."
    Leo leaned in, "Which way are they attacking from?"
    "We don't know, it could come from anywhere."
    The two stood, pondering, then Leo said, "What if we were to position watchmen into the surrounding lands, we can spare them, we know they aren't attacking any of our outposts."
    "We don't know for certain, they might try anything."
    "All the more reason to position guardsmen, if they did try to swerve past our outposts, they would need to come in from three directions, if we have a watchmen at every outposts, and then one between the next, then we would see them coming, and would be able to ensnare them between our outposts, it would be a massacre."
    "That's true. . ." said Apotheosis, "Tell the other commanders."
    "Really?" 
    "Yes."
    "Alright," and then louder he said, "Alright!" the din of the encampment quieted down. "I'v had an idea-" he started.
    "What do you know? You're just a squire!"" came a voice.
    Leo's cheeks flushed and he shriveled into himself. The room erupted into shouts of "What do you know?" and "Why should we listen to you?"
    Seeing this, Apotheosis suddenly yelled, "Hey dimwits, pay attention!"
    Leo smiled in gratitude, "As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted," started Leo, this time the staff let him finish, once he was done relaying the plan to them, they slowly started nodding, and clapping. then it escalated into a chorus of whoops and claps. The plan was immediately set into motion.

~ ~ ~

Leo's breath clouded in front of his face, he stood upright and rigid, staring off into the forests surrounding Arkaley, the Outposts visible above the tree lines off in the distance, Leo tensed, anticipating the low blow of the fog horns, nothing though, the early dawn was silent, save the sounds of animals stirring, and night predators retreating to their lairs where they would wait it out until the day once again died beneath the horizon. Then, the horn sounded, birds flew into the air, scattering across the sky, a murder of crows flapped their wings, rising, up, up, up, before gliding off to the west. The castle immediately erupted into a buzz of activity, soldiers rushing to their positions, parents and children shutting their windows, boarding up their homes, in case the Barons managed to get into the castle. 
    "The horn sounded from the Southeast!" called a lookout, "Alert the Southern and Eastern outposts immediately, we must send everything we'v got at them!"
    Leo turned, and sprinted across the top of the wall to the southeastern tip, he would be shooting his bow from here. Among the frenzy of preparation, Leo spotted the blood red banners of the Barons, waving oppressively through the air. . .

~NL~

edited 06.03.2016
    Chapter 6 ~ The Barons
    Apotheosis appeared behind Leo, who was gaping at the massive army of the Barons, "Look Leo-" he said, startling Leo, "In the battle, the key is to focus, don't let yourself be swept away."
    Leo nodded, his grim expression visible through the metal helmet and mask. 
    "I know you're just a squire, and you're not supposed to be on the battle field, but this is your chance to become a soldier of Mirilde, fight for our kingdom, and fight for our king." 
    "Yes sir."
    Apotheosis turned, and took up his position at the gates, ready to take the first robber baron to come through.

The Baron army halted, their spears and banners hoisted proudly into the air. A warrior, in all black armor stood at the front, horns were fastened to the top, and the armor shimmered as though it were burning. The figure drew his sword, pointed it silently at the gates, and the first wave of Barons ran forward, the dark figure stayed pointing his sword, and the Melee troops swarmed across the battle field. Leo gulped, and drew back his arrow.
    "Fire!" shouted a commander, Leo and the other Imperial marksmen let their arrows fly, they soared through the air, and rained like hail fire, lodging in the Barons armor chinks, bouncing of of breastplates, and thunking into shields. "Draw!" shouted the commander, Leo notched another arrow, the Barons grew closer, "Ready!" The shouts of the Baron warriors were audible even at the height of the walls, "Aim!" the blood pulsed through Leo's veins, as the soldiers grew ever closer,
    "Crash!" the wall beneath Leo's feet suddenly exploded, sending Leo flying, Leo flew through the air, landing on the roof of a dwelling, rolling, and tumbling off of it to land in the bushes next to it with a thunk. Leo groaned, and another crash exploded in the back ground, Leo's vision was crowded with dust, and bits of ruble tumbled past him, and small rocks tumbled through the air, hitting Leo's armor with loud tinging noises. The world seemed muted, the shouts of men dying muffled, and the crashing of boulders seemed far away, it felt as though Leo were underwater, the world was blacking out, and Leo collapsed onto the ground. 

"Leo, Leo!" a voice bubbled into existence, before popping out. Then again, "Leo! Leo! it felt as though something were shaking him, the voice cried urgently, and Leo felt his limp form being dragged across stone, the sound of scraping metal was obvious. "Common Leo, wake up!" the shaking came again, "Oh dear Tenebris!" cried the voice. Suddenly the dark world was flooded with light, and Leo coughed, gargling up blood. "Leo!" Leo opened his eyes, the world was blurred, and seemed to be shifting around, suddenly Jack's face came into focus, and soon, so  did the rest of the world.
    Apotheosis appeared behind Jack, and the two hoisted Leo up, and carried him behind a market. The clanging of metal and the screams of dying men surrounded them, Leo gasped for breath. Jack and Apotheosis laid Leo down gently on the stone road. Leo gasped again, "Wha- what happened?" he muttered hoarsely.
    "The Barons launched catapults, they broke through the southeastern walls, and the reinforcements from the Southern and Eastern outposts are fighting the Barons as we speak." said Apotheosis. 
    Leo only registered about half of what he said, "A- are we winning?"
    "Yes Leo, we are winning." answered Apotheosis.
    Leo sighed, "For how long?"
    "That, I cannot say."
    "Can you stand?" asked Jack.
    "I think so." said Leo. He struggled to get his legs underneath him, but they were moving sluggishly, eventually though, he did get his legs into place, then Apotheosis let go of Leo, and he began to topple over, luckily Apotheosis caught him before he could knock himself out again.
    "Hey, in here!" came a voice from behind them. Apotheosis spun around, his sword having appeared in his hands a quick as lightning. Behind them stood three Baron warriors, an archer, and two swordsman. "Surrender yourselves to the might of the Baron Empire!"
    Jack stood guard over Leo's recovering body, his sword and shield protecting most of his own body. 
    "Jack, guard Leo." said Apotheosis, then he shouted, "Never!" then, with surprising grace for his age, he leapt through the air, landed on the wall, bounced off, and cut down once of the swordsmen with ease, blood bubbled up from the wound in his chest, and the Baron collapsed onto the ground. The bowman launched an arrow, which hit Jack's shield squarely in the center. Apotheosis and the other swordsman began to weave a deadly dance, parry, strike, dodge, block, thrust, swipe, strike, dodge, block, swipe, thrust, dodge, jump, block, duck, sidestep. The bowman began to launch arrows at Apotheosis, who struggled to deflect them with his sword, as his shield had been damaged beyond use in battle on the streets. Jack stood over Leo, anticipating an arrow to be shot in his direction. Suddenly, the swordsman turned tail, and sprinted at Jack, Apotheosis tried to catch him, but an arrow hit him in the waist, he howled in pain, as another arrow hit his leg. Leo watched in horror, as the swordsman turned back towards Apotheosis, sword arced above his head.
    "Do something Jack!"
    "Apotheosis ordered me to guard you!"
    "You can't just let him be killed!' shouted Leo angrily, as he tried to prop himself up against the wall.
    "I'm not going to let you be killed!"
    The swordsman brought the blade down in a clean strike, decapitating Apotheosis, his body crumpled to the ground, and blood painted the ground as it pooled around the corpse of Apotheosis.
    "Jack! You let him be killed!" screamed Leo.
    "Shut up, or you're going to get us killed too.", growled Jack, focusing his grim attention on the now advancing swordsman and bowman.
    Leo knelt over, and picked up his bow, silently, he drew the arrow, and standing behind Jack, pointed it straight at the bowman, who was focusing on shooting at Jack, who blocked every shot with his shield. Leo let the arrow fly, it made its mark, flying straight through the bowman's heart. He opened his mouth in a silent scream, but the only thing that came out was blood, and he crumpled to the ground. 
    The swordsman didn't pay it any attention though, and he continued to advance on them. Leo glowered in grim satisfaction, the joy of taking the life of one of his tormentors was rewarding. Leo then turned his gaze on the swordsman, and his blazing golden eyes burned with a fury that few on the earth had ever been subjected to, none of them had ever lived to tell the tale. Jack charged the swordsman, who parried Jack's wild swing with a loud "Clang!" Leo dove to the side, where he snatched up Apotheosis' sword, and came at the swordsman from behind, quickly finishing him off in the same fashion in which the baron had taken his master's life. The baron's head rolled off to the side, and his body flopped limply to the ground. The street was now covered in blood, which smeared the two boy's armor, and coated the walls and ran like rivers in through the cracks in the road. Leo looked down at the corpse of the baron, and he delivered a swift kick, which sent it rolling to the side, where it tried to reunite with its lost head, but fell short half way. Leo then took the scabbard from Apotheosis' side, and sheathed the sword in it. Silently he re-drew his bow, notched an arrow, and skewered it through the face of the decapitated baron. Then he picked it up by the hair, the tongue lolled out of his mouth, the blank, lifeless eyes stared back at Leo, reflecting his burning, murderous gaze, then he drew it back, re-notching the arrow, then he launched the head high into the air, where the vultures caught it, and took it away to feast upon. Jack watched in silence as his old friend paced back and forth, stabbing the dead bodies of the barons, then he started shouting loudly with each strike, and soon the street echoed with the shouts of anger, and the squelching of blood glugging out of the bodies, but Leo kept on stabbing, and slicing, until the bodies were scarred beyond recognition. Then he knelt next to the body of Apotheosis, and wept over his fallen mentor who had been a second father too him. 
    Finally Leo stood up, his golden gaze blazing, and he glumly drew the sword, and walked out into the streets, "Are you coming Jack?" spat Leo, "We have a job to finish."
    Leo didn't bother to see of Jack was following him, he marched down the streets, cutting down anyone that got in his way. Barons that tried to charge him were stabbed, cut, or sliced, bowmen that tried to shoot him, were instead shot. Leo left a trail of the dead behind him. His sword was his sickle, and his shield was his plow, the tools that he used to harvest the lives of his enemies. Even the soldiers of Mirilde pressed against the walls at his passing, and were terrified of the monster that he had become. But Leo took no notice, or at least didn't show that he cared. he just kept on marching, his pace unchanging, as the trail of the dead were left scattered behind him. 
    The walls of Arkaley were blown apart in some places, one of which was where Leo had been shooting from, the dust had settled, and so had the stones, Leo marched through the gates, and out onto the battle field. The fiery commander still stood on his pedestal. He looked down at Leo's approaching form, leapt down off of the rocks, and unsheathed his sword. 
    "So this this the champion of Mirilde, a boy, and a squire at that!" exclaimed the Baron warlord.
    "So, this is the king of the Barons, a warlord, who took the throne by sword rather than expertise." rebuked Leo.
    Instead of answering, the Baron king charged Leo, quickly closing the distance between the two warriors, Leo swung his sword up, and the Baron blocked it, Leo quickly twisted to the side, his sword arching over his head, and swinging around, the Baron blocked it, grabbed Leo's sword hand, gripping it tightly in his metal gauntlet, he twisted Leo's wrist painfully, Leo gasped, and he dropped the sword in pain. The Baron used his other hand to poise the sword above Leo's chest. Now, instead of anger, Leo's eyes were filled with fear. 
    "Any last words, boy?" 
    "Yes, don't call me boy again."
    An arrow flew through the air and struck the Baron in the face, he stumbled back, his sword flailing, and cutting Leo's leg, but he didn't notice, the adrenaline took care of that. Jack sent another arrow into the Barons chest, and another into his abdomen. The Baron collapsed onto the ground, twitching in spasms. Leo looked at the body of the Baron king distastefully. The battle was over.

~NL~

edited 11.03.2016
    Chapter 7 ~ Hospital
    Leo's gritted his teeth, the cut from the Baron's sword was screaming painfully at him. Leo turned to Jack, took one hobbling step towards him, and fell face first onto the blood soaked earth. 

~ ~ ~

Leo's vision was overtaken in a bright white light, Leo lifted his hand to shield his eyes, but it did little to put an and to his throbbing vision, the headache, or the unfocused faces that bust in and out of existence. Bright colors f reds, blues, and yellows spotted across his vision, and the blurry chair next to him began to speak, "Wake up Leo." is tempted.
    Leo groaned, the bright colors receded and the talking chair shut its mouth. A nurses face came into focus above him.
    "Wha- what d-did you give me?" he stammered.
    "A pain relieving drug." answered the nurse, "Common side effects may include hallucinations, nausea, and drowsiness."
     More like a sanity reliever. thought Leo, instead  he said, "Oh."
    Then he fell back into a drug induced sleep.

When he woke up a blurry girl was standing over him, she looked to have a red octopus on her head, with a green snake rapped around her neck and a skirt made of giant palm fronds. Her hands were covered in blood. Stupid hallucinations. thought Leo, he closed his eyes and when he reopened them, she had raid hair, a greed scarf and skirt, ad freckles, she bore the insignia of the Imperial Army sued onto her scarf.
    "Who are you?" asked Leo.
    "I am Natalia, Commander of the Imperial Everwinter Division, at your service." she responded with a thick Irish accent, "I bring news of great honor, but first, I am pleased to meet your acquaintance Sir Leopold." then she saluted him.
    "And I am pleased to meet yours." responded Leo politely, he tried to return the solute, but when he lifted his arm sharp spikes of pain shot through his body, he winced and put his arm back down. "You mentioned news? And Please, call me Leo," he said.
    "Yes, you are being transferred to Everwinter as soon as your wounds heal, I will be your escort there." she said quickly.
    Leo was stunned, or hallucinating again, "What?"
    She repeated herself so that Leo knew that this wasn't a mirage, the news settled in slowly. Everwinter was renowned for being forever locked in the deepest darkest point of winter. The burning sands at least had water beneath the surface of the sand dunes, but in Everwinter there was a thick sheet of ice, about a kilometer deep, that covered all sources of water, there were no oasis's, or lakes like there were in the other outer kingdoms. Not many who went to Everwinter came back alive. Not to mention that the Norsemen were allied with the Barons. So this is my "reward" for defending this wretched castle with my life. thought Leo spitefully. Not to mention the life of my mentor. The memory of Apotheosis' death crashed in on him again, the pain, the loss, and the pleasure of causing that same pain for other people, then his attention was brought back to the conversation. The royal coward has no sense of loyalty. Then Leo, despite the enormous amount of pain, stood up to stare Natasha directly in the face, "And is this order issued by King Merek? he asked threateningly. 
    "Yes, it is." reported Natalia stoutly, "It is regarded as an honor to be sent to Everwinter, only the toughest soldiers go there."
    Leo hadn't though of it that way, she did have a point.
    "And to be quite frank, I do believe you need to change your attitude young man." she retorted.
    "Leo was quite taken back, "Young man?" he asked, "You couldn't be two years older than I."
    "Amazing what a difference it makes." she huffed and she whirled around, making her scarf and her braids slap Leo in the face, then she stomped out the door. 
    Leo sat back down on his bed, the combination of the pain from standing up, and the humiliation of losing an argument to a girl were simply to much. He laid back down and fell asleep once more.

~ ~ ~

Leo sat, struggling to read a book, the drugs were making all of the words swim around on the page, it was mostly for entertainment that Leo tried to read, it was a delightful and frightful experience to watch words move through thin air. Somebody came over and stood next to Leo, when he looked up, he found Jack standing over him. Leo looked back at the book in disgust. 
    "I'm sorry Leo."
    Silence.
    "There was nothing I could have done."
    You could have fought besides him. thought Leo spitefully.
    "Look Leo, if we are going to continue to be friends, you are going to have to forgive me for what I had to do."
    Leo put down the book and glared at Jack.
    Taking the hint, Jack sighed and stood up to leave, he only turned around to say one more thing, "He sacrificed his life to protect you, I'd expect you to show some recognition for that." then he turned, and left the hospital.
    Leo turned, his heart ached, it felt as though part of himself were being torn away. Or should I say, another part.thought Leo spitefully.
    But his heart still hurt, it screamed at him, Don't let him leave! Leo ignored it.

~ ~ ~

Blood welled up around Leo's hands, and the buildings collapsed in smoke and flame, the cries of babes resounded across the city, and the screams of the mothers haunted his dreams. Something round landed next to Leo's hand, it was the head of the robber baron swordsman, the arrow was plunged deep into its skull, then it spoke, "Hello Sir Leopold." Leo screamed, and dropped the head onto the blood soaked stones. Jack's mother cowered in a corner, as the soldiers, quickly made good work of her, her head rolled across the ground, stopping next to the Baron's head, and she too, spoke, "Leo, you forsake me." Leo stumbled back, he breath catching in his throat, the blood on the streets continued to rise, Jack waded out to Leo, then his mother, his sisters, his father, Natalia, some of the soldiers from the military academy, Apotheosis, King Merek, the Baron warlord, countless faces that Leo didn't recognize winking into existence, the blood was at Leo's neck height now, he tried to swim in it, but his feet were stuck, the blood continued to rise, and each of the faces began to be covered in blood, Leo took one last gasp of air, and watched as all of the faces were drowned in blood, before he too, was swallowed by the dark red depths. The blood was warm and sticky, and pulsing, Leo was inside of a human artery, he opened his eyes, somehow he could see, he looked down, the hands of the Baron and Jack's mother were holding him down, the decapitated bodies like shackles. Apotheosis appeared in front of Leo, "You disappoint me." he said. Then everything went dark.

~NL~

edited 30.01.2016
    Chapter 8 ~ Home
    After Leo had fully recovered from his injuries he suited up and struck out on the long tedious journey to Everwinter. He paid one last visit to his family before he would embark on his journey. 

Knock, Knock, Knock. Leo tapped on the door to his old home, he had so many childhood memories here. . .this was going to be a hard day. The door opened and in front of him stood a little girl, probably only nine years old at most. She looked up at Leo, clearly not recognizing him, "Mom, there's somebody at the door!" 
    "I'll be up in a minute!" called an older woman's voice. 
    Mom must be working in the canning kitchen. thought Leo.
    Then she appeared in the doorway, they both froze. "Leo?" asked his mother.
    "Yes." he answered. 
    Then she burst into tears and was suddenly hugging him so hard she may as well have been crushing the life out of him. "I'm so glad your back." she whispered.
    "I know Mom, I know." Leo whispered back.

They, Leo, his mother, and his three sisters, Lucy, Annabel, and Mallory sat in the kitchen. "How long will you be staying here?" asked his mother, she knew very well that the military didn't let perfectly healthy men out of there sights for long. 
    "I will have to go this evening, they are deploying me first thing tomorrow morning." answered Leo, not wanting to reveal where he would be going.
    "Oh, I see." said his mother, "Well then we shall make our time together all the more special!" 
    For the rest of the day they caught up with each other, talking about how the farming was going, Leo's last battle at this time his mother started to get teary eyed and Leo quickly changed the subject to the military academy. After they were done retelling stories they all started to work together to get the days chores done. Supper came all to soon and a feast of goose was placed upon the table along with green beans and lettuce. Of course the goose was small and the vegetables bitter, but it was still a feast among peasants. Finally evening came along and the girls were sent off to prepare desert. "So Leo-" started his mother.
    "Yes?" asked Leo, fearing the worst.
    "Exactly where are they sending you tomorrow morning? she inquired.
    Leo's fears had been recognized, "Oh, um, places." he stammered.
    "Yes but where?" she pushed.
    "Do you really want to know?" he asked.
    "Yes! And no." she hesitated, "There not sending you to the Fiery Peaks are they?"
    "What, no! Of course not, I'm not an experienced enough soldier for that." he said.
    "Well, than where are they deploying you?" inquired his mother.
    "Everwinter." answered Leo glumly, "They are sending me to Everwinter.
    His mother just sat there, mouth agape, staring in shock. Then she crumpled and began to sob.
     "I'm sorry mother, there isn't anything we can do about it."
    "I-I know." sobbed his mother, "But why can't we just live out our days without torment?"
    "Because the world isn't like that." answered Leo, "But we just have to keep our chins up and deal with it."
    "You give amazing pep-talks." said his mother sarcastically, a little bit of her old self returning to her.
    "Common mom, let's get desert." said Leo, helping her up. 

~NL~

edited 11.03.2016
    Chapter 9 ~ Departure
    Leo loaded himself and his few belongings, a few books, ans scrolls, as well as his weaponry, onto his coach without turning around. The crowds of family and friends clotted the street, as they silently mourned the departure of their loved ones. Once Leo was inside the stage coach, he sat down on his cot, and buried his face in his palms. The dark rings of sleep loss were boldly imprinted around Leo's eyes, and his eyes burned with tears. You will not cry. thought Leo, You will not cry. now he was ordering himself, You will not cry, you will not cry, you will not cry. Leo repeated the chant over and over in his head, then, a the end, the voice rose to a wail and Leo sank into himself, sobbing on the cot. 

It would take a week to reach Everwinter Fortress, a week without seeing Jack, as he'd been placed on the next caravan. A week in the cold, heartless depths of icy Everwinter with no hope of warmth of comfort. Finally Leo stopped sobbing, though he did not unfold his bundled form huddling on the cot. It's funny, thought Leo, that you never really think about the things you have until they're gone. Fire, meat, friends. They're just there, you never dare o picture what it would be like without it, you always just assume it will be your guardian dove.

The coach began to bump around, and the clippity clopping of horses hooves was audible through the wooden walls of the stage coach. Leo finally sat up, and looked at his chest, it's golden trim reflected the light from the lantern, hung in one corner. Leo stood, and knelt by it, unlatched the lock, and opened the creaking wooden chest. it had been in his family for years, and had been passed down to him by his father when he'd gone to the Mirilde military. Leo closed his eyes, picturing his father's brown hair and goatee, his booming, yet somehow loving voice, and the sad look in his eyes as he departed, waving good by from his stage coach. And where is he now? asked Leo, I haven't the slightest idea. Leo opened his eyes again, his helmet stared at him malevolently from the chest. Leo looked away, an image of his face, golden eyes gleaming murderously instilled itself into his brain. The image of himself as he relentlessly murdered every Baron in his way. Leo picked up the helmet, and placed it on the sand in the corner, he made sure to turn the helmet so that it faced the wall. 

~ ~ ~

After two long days, and one uncomfortable night on the lengthy journey to Everwinter the air began to cool, the ground began to rise and the terrain started to become rocky and treacherous, the only clear path being the rocky road they were traveling on.
    Finally, at about noon they reached the base of the mountains, which seemed to stretch on forever, as far as the eye could see.
    Suddenly Natalia raised her hand to stop, and the coaches quickly ground to a halt. They quickly strapped on their armor, abandoned the carts, and hid behind the boulders that lined the road. Over the wind lowered voices could be heard, voices of men, then around the bend came a band of five warriors, fully clad in armor, furs, heavy weaponry. The men stopped, staring at the caravan they'd stumbled across. One of them said with a large smirk "Looks like we've got some merchandise for Olafsson. Loot the carts."  
    "Yes sir." responded the other four.
    Leo began to stand to address the soldiers, but he was quickly pulled back down by Natalia, who mouthed the words "Stay down." at him.
    He mouthed back "Why?"
    To which she responded "Just do as I say."
    Leo looked back over the rocks, and spotted the crests on their furs, the emblem of the Nersemen. Oh. . . thought Leo, that's why.
    "Say, sir, why do ya reckon all this junk was left here?" asked one of the Norsemen.
    "They probably went to fetch water or somtin' it doesn't matter now, finders keepers." responded the commander.
    "Hmm, hmm, keepers." grunted the Norseman.
    "Sir, come take a look at this!" called another Norseman.
    The commander ran over to Leo's wagon and extracted his bag of coins. Leo felt at his hip, where the sack would usually be, and his heart sank when he realized that it wasn't there. "Very interestin' "said the commander, dumping the contents onto the ground, "Olafsson will be happy with us tonight boys!" called the commander happily, "maybe he'll give all o us a raise!"
    That was it, Leo was not going to stand for this anymore, but Natalia held him back, this time tugging him to he ground and clamping his mouth shut, she forced him into a choke, where he couldn't breath, move, or even struggle. The Norsemen looted the rest of the carts and took their horses and used them to carry every single item the could back with them. Soon the soldiers were gone, not even the faintest trace of there voices could be heard in the wind. "ARE YOU AN IDJIT?!" shouted Natasha, spitting in Leo's face, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MANY DOCUMENTS I WOULD HAVE TO SIGN IF YOU, OR ANY OTHER MEMBER OF THIS TEAM WERE CAPTURED UNDER MY COMMAND, LET ALONE BY OLAFSSON!" Then she slapped Leo hard across the cheek. Stunned, Leo leaned back, and touched his cheek gingerly. Then she whirled around and stalked over to salvage anything they could find from the discarded garbage left behind by the Norsemen. 
    "Are you sure that you are only worried about paper work?" asked Leo.
    Natalia spun around and stomped back to Leo, "Listen here, kid," she said, staring Leo down so hard that, if he could've, would have shriveled up into his armor like a turtle and stayed there for the rest of eternity, "You are nothing but a pawn in this battle for survival, you are one knight in a thousand, my duty is to my kingdom and to my life, I have no responsibility for one soldier! It is my job, to use you to protect my assigned castle from danger, not sacrifice anything for one measly trooper that can't even follow directions properly! Have I made myself clear?"
    "Yes ma'me." gulped Leo.

~NL~

edited 11.03.2016
    Chapter 10 ~ Survival of the Fittest
    Leo decided to shut his mouth after his argument with Natalia, and salvaged anything he could from his valuables, his books had been left behind, apparently the mighty Norse empire didn't educate it's warriors. Unfortunately they could no longer carry most of the books, and he had to choose only three of them since the soldiers had taken there carts, dumping out anything they deemed useless. Luckily Leo and his companions had been wearing their armor, so none of that was lost, and Leo never let his weapons out of sight. but everything else was taken, his money, his pictures, his valuables, the horses, the carts any supplies and anything that could be used to start a fire, it was all gone, whisked away by the greed of the Norsemen.
    The group was solemn, none spoke as they picked through there belongings, salvaging anything possible. Suddenly rage welled up inside of Leo, overwhelming his every instinct and controlling his every action, clenching his fist, Leo kicked one of his books, "The Holy Grail" of the side of the mountain, He tilted his head back at the sky and yelled, "Those stupid Barbarians?!" it echoed off the cliffs and bounded back at him. Everyone in the group turned and stared at him, still not daring to speak. Leo sank onto his knees immediately regretting his decision, "The Holy Grail" had been one of his favorites, and had been a gift from his father, before Leo had been taken away by the military. Now his father was probably off fighting one of King Mereks battles. Then fear swallowed up any last trace of anger, fear for his father,for his brother, and his family starving in Arkaley, struggling to get buy with have of the family missing, and finally for Jack, who was following Leo to Everwinter on the next Caravan. Wait. thought Leo, That's it! "The next caravan!" he laughed, this just caused everyone else in the group to look at him strangely, "Don't you see?" asked Leo, standing up and turning to the nearest soldier, who was shaking his head briskly. "The next caravan!, it'll be here within two days!" said Leo. 
    "So all we have to do is wait for them to follow us." realized Natalia. 
    "I'll find us some shelter." said one of the soldiers, he looked familiar to Leo, then he remembered, it was Conan!
    "And i'll scavange for anything I can for a fire." said another soldier.
    "And I will hunt for some dinner." said Leo.
    "So will I." said another.
    The other six members of the group called off there duties, busying themselves with tasks as Leo and the one named Arnould went off to hunt. 

Two hours later Leo and Arnould returned with a mountain goat and a wild boar who ad wandered past his territorial boundaries. They cooked there food over a fire made of books. . . Leo's books, and they slept on cold beds of stone and lichen, in a dark cave, not far off the path. 

The next day they continued, and set up a constant sentry, in case a Norse- or, as Leo now called them, Barbarian patrol returned, or the caravan arrived. . . .

~NL~

edited 11.03.2016
    Chapter 11 ~ Night Watch
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Leo was awaken in the middle of the night by Conan, "It's your turn to take the watch." he whispered, shaking Leo from his slumber.
    Yawning, Leo stood up silently, lazily strapped on his armor and sat down next to the cave entrance, careful to conceal himself behind the short rock wall they had placed around the entrance. Soon sleep began to call to him from every direction, the snores within the cave, the hoot of an owl, the steady beam of moonlight, and from the soft clopping of hooves on rock. HOOVES ON ROCK!, Leo sat bolt upright, listening intently, indeed there was the steady drone of the clipity clop, clipity clop, of horses hooves, followed by the faint but present sound of wheels crunching over gravel. The only question now was, Who was steering the horse? Another gang of Neph scoundrels, a passerby, or the second caravan, he dared not hope for the later, fearing he would jinx his already bad luck. Leo's breathing intensified, he fingered the handle of his bow, slowly notching an arrow in place, he peaked over the rocks and took aim, ready to fire if the more unfortunate of two circumstances arose. Slowly, ever so slowly, the clops drew nearer, and nearer, and nearer, until finally, a wagon appeared, the driver was cloaked in a dark black hood, concealing his entire body making it difficult to determine weather or not he worked for Neph. Than another wagon appeared, than another, all steered by cloaked drivers. Suddenly they stopped, and a tapping commenced, tap, tap,tap tap tap tap. tap, tap, tap, tap tap, tap. The code signal of the riders of Mirilde, it meant "There is no need to hide yourself." which probably meant that they knew that they were there and were testing to see if they were allies. Leo realized that he had been holding his breath, he exhaled and stood up, arrow pointed at the ground. "Hail there, friend of Mirilde!" called Leo.
    The drivers turned and unveiled themselves each was tall, and muscular, the lead driver responded, "Hail soldier, where is your squadron?"
    "They're inside, I shall go wake them." responded Leo. 
    He returned five minutes later with the rest of the squad, all of which looked very drowsy. Natalia walked up to the leader of the caravan and they exchanged a few words, which were completely inaudible. The rest of the soldiers stood at attention, awaiting commands. After a few minutes Commander Natalia turned and addressing them said "Everyone, gather your stuff, we're riding to Everwinter." The response she got was that of dull excitement, nobody wanted to continue to Everwinter, they wanted to go back, but they also wanted warmth, so forward they would go!

~NL~

edited 30.01.2016
    Chapter 12 ~ Blizzard
    A blizzard set in, which delayed the already slow moving caravan, they had gotten annual snow in the great empire, only once a year would it arrive, and in Arkaley, it was heralded, celebrated, and loved, but this snow was angry, it came down in torrents, and it was so much colder than that of the Great Empire, it blew into your face, blinding you. The wind would screech across mountain ridges and threw ravines, you couldn't even see two feet in front of you, but they had to continue on their journey, they wouldn't survive the night if they didn't get too Everwinter Fortress in time.
     "Alright everyone, out of your wagons!" yelled Natalia over the raging wind and angry snow, "We have too lighten our load if we wan't to make greater haste!"
    The soldiers groaned, as if Everwinter weren't bad enough from inside the wagon. But the soldiers hesitantly complied, throwing on their cloaks and fur coats, they unloaded themselves out of the wagons, and began to walk alongside the wagons. Natalia was right, they did go faster, but not by much. 
    Leo spotted Jack towards the front of the caravan, since Leo didn't know anyone else their very much, he ran to catch up with him. "The weather out here is frightful." shivered Leo as a slippery wind snuck beneath their cloak, chilling them to the bone. 
    "It will be so much nicer once we reach Everwinter Fortress." Jack shivered back.
    Leo smiled at the thought of it, "I hope they will have warm fires and comfortable beds." sighed Leo.
    "A soldier must not over indulge himself, else he might lose his touch." said Jack, quoting every military sergeant ever.
    The two chuckled, which was the best one could come to a hearty laugh when you are cold, hungry, and tired.
    "What could we do that would make us go even faster? asked Jack.
    "We could through some of our belongings out of the wagons." Said Leo.
    "Yes, but that would require us to stop in order to unload, which would ultimately do nothing to increase our speed." responded Jack.
    This was what Jack would always do when he had an idea, ask for yours first, consider it, usually debunk it, then propose his oun idea, it was a clever strategy, making you desperate for ideas, while simultaneously making you curious about his oun. As he had once said when they were younger, "Those who wan't your ideas are more likely to except them." 
    "Well, lets here your idea then." said Leo, knowing Jack's strategy fill well. 
    "I think all of the soldiers should get behind their wagon and push, we would have two men on each wagon, and with the subtracted weight of the men being added to the force, not to mention the two horses on each wagon, would lead us to at least double our speed from before." he said. 
    "Sounds good," said Leo, "Why don't you tell Natalia?"
    Jack trudged his way to the front of the caravan, where Natalia was walking next to the fist wagon, Leo faintly saw his shadow yell something at her through the blizzard, though Leo could not hear it over the screeching wind and blazing ice.
    Then the order was relayed back to the soldiers to get behind their wagons and push, that was the was Leo saw of Jack until they reached Everwinter Fortress.

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016
    Chapter 13 ~ Everwinter Fortress
    The blizzard howled like wolves, racing across the mountains, the wind whipped snow into their eyes, and icicles hung from their eyelashes and noses. The soldiers trudged through the endless storm, a gale so strong, even Fenrir, the Great White Wolf of Winter War wouldn't be able to withstand. This is ridiculous, though Leo, can't Natalia see that we need to rest? Unless. . . unless she knows we're close!  he realized. Breathing a strained sigh of relief, Leo out in a sudden burst of energy, eager to make it to a warm fire. Sure enough, a few minutes later a wall appeared through the blizzard, it was made of stone, but covered with slick ice and hanging icicles so that at first glance the wall appeared to be made of Ice, not stone. Sounds majestic when you describe it like that, Thought Leo, but it was not to be, picture the stone wall covered in ice, but only six feet tall, barely high enough to even be called a wall, Leo had seen bigger hedges than that before. The rest of the village was even more measly, with wooden huts, patched together by ice. At the center of the village stood one stone building, but it wasn't much bigger than the huts, probably the Stronghold. To Leo's dread, it didn't appear that there were any fires, except for in the forge, and the stronghold. It's no wonder that no one ever comes back from this place, can't King Merek help this place out?  thought Leo, It's a dump. Elsewhere in the village, Leo spotted  a small hospital, the forge, a few farms, masons, and loggers, and the castle, which looked over the rest of the tow like a dark shadow in the midnight frost. That looked to be the only secure place in the entire village, except for the neighboring village, which was in prime condition. He also spotted a few stranger buildings, unfamiliar to him, though he assumed it was probably where the village got it's charcoal. It appeared to Leo, that the only purpose the town was here was for the charcoal, everyone else was sent their to either defend it, or work at it. The people don't matter to King Merek, only the resources. though Leo spitefully. Finally the caravan reached the stronghold, where several soldiers walked out of the heavy oak doors and began to unload the wagons, disturbingly, the soldiers were skinny as snakes, and it appeared as though the flesh had been torn off of their bones, extracted from the skin, thrown away, ad the skin had been plastered to their bones. Skeletons was the only word to describe them. Natalia lead them through the streets of Everwinter Fortress, where all of the civilians were laying on the ground, dead, dying, or starving. Disease, raked the peoples, they couphed, and couphed until eventually they couphed up blood, the children were so malnourished that they couldn't stand, and the adults didn't look much better. Finally, they reached the keep, hey knocked on the heavy oak doors, a few seconds later, they slowly creaked open. Inside, was an extravagant hall decorated with lavishing carpets and banners, a large hearth stood on the opposite end of the hall, on each side of the hearth was a staircase the curled to a deck, which overlooked the hall, and two more doors lead back into what was probably the armory. In the center of the hall was a long table in the center where one man sat, his back to the fire, facing them. 
    "Soldiers," said Natalia, "I'd like you to meet, Ilium, Lord of Everwinter Fortress."
    The man stood up, making himself more clear, he was tall, with long brown hair and a short, scruffy beard. He wore imperial purple robes, with a Snow Leapord fur trim, and a red cape. "Please," he said, "make yourself at home."
    This of course, reminded Leo very much that he was not at home, a sickening pang of guilt struck him in the gut, how could he leave them like this, going to a training camp was one thing, at least he had been in the same city as them, but now he was in the frigid north, very far away from his family, unable to aid them if ever there were cause. 

The soldiers each introduced themselves to Lord Ilium. Then he invited them to dine with him, of course, they were famished, before long the entire beast was gone as well as just about everything on the table. However, Leo didn't eat that much, neither did Jack, instead, the two decided to steal their portions of the food, to feed to the poverty-stricken- villagers. The two only ate a small amount, no more than the average farm meal in Arkaley. Unfortunately, Lord Ilium noticed that they weren't eating."Why is it that you do not feat on this joyous night? asked Illium, "Are you sick?"
    "No sir," answered Jack, "We're just, uh, well, uh." he glanced at Leo for help.
    "We're just, not big eaters." said Leo nodding, Jack joined in. 
    "Really?" asked Ilium, "Well, I'd advise you too stalk up now, you see, their is not much food to go around here, this may be the last chance you get." 
    Another soldier, the one by the name of Danyel, who did not seem to be of the brightest type, spoke up, "With all do respect sir, isn't their plenty of food right in front of us?" The rest of the troops turned and glared at him, willing him to be silent, Conan put his face in his hands, and Natalia winced. The whole room fell silent, waiting to see what would happen next. 
    Lord Ilium slowly turned his head, glaring at Danyel with Ice blue eyes, cold as the darkest night. "Well, if you are going to be so unappreciative of my hospitality, maybe you would like to leave?"
    "Only if you insist." gulped Danyel.
    "Oh I insist," laughed Ilium, standing up, "you can leave right now!" Then he pushed Danyel over so that his entire chair fall backwards, taking Danyel with it, then Ilium grabbed him, dragging him out the door and through him into the cold, where the towns Wolfhounds leapt on top of him, biting, clawing, mauling, and eating, they ripped the flesh off his bones like steak knifes, and howled with joy over the abundance of fresh meat. The soldiers sat perfectly still, some still had half chewed food in their mouths. Leo and Jack gulped, and Conan averted his eyes from the horrific scene before him.
    Lord Ilium turned around, slamming the doors behind him, "So, who want's desert?" he asked.
    Something about this doesn't make sense, thought Leo, why would Ilium through away one of "the best soldiers" as Natalia put it, unless, unless we weren't sent here because we are the best soldiers. . .

After the meal, Leo and Jack briskly left the hall, wandering around the streets, distributing the food wherever they could. The poor swarmed them, begging to be fed, but they could only smuggle so much out, that it quickly ran out. The people didn't react well, and began to argue, Leo and Jack desperately warded them off, before narrowly escaping by promising that they would feed them everyday. They turned, and stealthily crept to the barracks, they were almost through the last alleyway when Natalia rounded around the corner, followed by Conan. "Well well well, what have we here?" asked Natalia. But before they could offer an excuse, she whispered, "You need to be more stealthy, there are people all over this city that would be willing to turn you in to Lord Ilium for a small bounty." Conan and I have distributed the food as well, but Conan was wise to seek my council first, he could see that I didn't like Lord Ilium, I have been feeding the poor for many months, since I was stationed here, luckily I am the main commander here, so I feast with Lord Ilium and the rest of his guests almost every night, however, I a being promoted to Sands Castle, should be a warm change from this place, but my replacement is an incompetent child. So I am leaving you three to distribute your shares to the poor, do you understand?" 
    Jack and Leo were stunned, this had caught them off guard, finally Leo stammered, "Well, yes-of course."
    "Good," said Natalia, "I have instructed Conan on how to feed them properly, without being caught." I am leaving him to instruct you, I will be departing tomorrow." Then she walked back into the Barracks.

Conan preceded to teach them, to the best of his ability, and when he was finished, they headed back to the barracks. . .

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016
    Chapter 14 ~ The Norsemen
    The next morning, Natalia was gone, and a Commander by the name of Gregor had replaced her. He was obviously dumb, and was drunk half the time, and the other half he was sleeping, eating, or getting drunk. Many of the soldiers often wondered how he had ever gotten to his rank, but the military was certainly a corrupt place, it wouldn't have been too hard for him to have bribed his way in. But I digress, every night, Leo, Conan, and Jack would distribute a portion of their food out to the sick and starving, they were almost caught a few times, but thy avoided being seen for the most part. This continued for almost two weeks. However, their health was quickly subsiding as they grue thin from undernourishment and disease. They weren't going to survive much longer if they continued like this, but then the news came, they would attack the barbarians that inhabited the land at dawn. They called themselves the white wolves of war, they claimed to be servants of the great beast Fenrir, the White Wolf of Winter War, but in truth, they were nothing more than mutinous thugs, having betrayed the Frozen Guard, a legion of warriors loyal to Fenrir, many decades ago and destroyed the Frozen Guard Organization. The Barbarians were fierce, strong, and well fed from raiding the lands of Everwinter for loot. How were a bunch of underfed disease ridden troops going to hold a match to the Barbarians?

All this raced through Leo's mind as he listened to the Herald announcing it in the town square. Commander Gregor wasn't just a drunk, he was insane! Why had Lord Ilium sanctioned this attack? Unless. . . he was trying to get them killed. . . thought Leo as he was marched back to the barracks.

The next day, before down, they were awoken by the sound of the drums, after that the whole morning had been a blur, they ate their measly breakfast, then they were suited into there armor by the scribes, and the forty or so soldiers marched out to battle. That was when Leo came out of his trance, before them stood the great Barbarian Fortress, equipped with Ballistae, battlements, arrow notches, iron gates, and a moat. It towered over them, but they kept on marching right up in front of the castle, This has got to be the worst battle strategy I'v ever seen. thought Leo miserably. Then they stopped, in plain sight on the blaring white tundra, barely out of distance of the battlements. Then the commander collapsed on the ground, drunk. "Great now what do we do?" he couldn't say that he was surprised, but if the retreated, they would be mutinous, and if they attacked, they would be suicidal.

Then the gates opened, and out marched legions of Barbarians, armed with lean bows, wicked axes, and strong shields. Then a voice boomed out over the frozen tundra, "Do not dare to come one step closer to this keep, else you will suffer the wrath of Fenrir!"
    This angered Leo greatly, the Great Beasts were very fierce and protected the great empire from harms way, but these Barbarians had brought nothing but disgrace to Fenrir's name, and they were going to pay! "In the name of the great beasts and the welfare of the domain in which they protect, you will surrender too us immediately!" shouted Leo impulsively.
    The booming voice laughed, a deep hearty laugh, echoing across the baron wasteland. Then a tall, thickly built man with a fur cloak walked out onto the balcony carrying a large double bladed ax. "We are the name of Fenrir nave!" shouted the Barbarian. Then he turned around and disappeared back into the fortress. The war horns sounded, and the Barbarians charged with merciless war cries design to instill fear into their opponents.

Unfortunately it worked several of the soldiers turned to free, but were immediately struck down by arrows, Commander Gregor was slain by beheading, no one bothered to defend him. Leo drew is bow and notched an arrow, unleashing them in flurries into the ranks of the enemy soldiers. Jack drew his sword, and they wen't back to back, like they had while defending Arkaley from the Robber Baron King, how long ago that seemed now. Then Leo spotted Conan fighting his way over to them, struggling through the masses of Barbarians, once the three had regrouped, they began to formulate a plan between parries and launches. "If we defeat the large man with the ax this battle will be over!" shouted Leo over the shouts and cries of the battling soldiers. 
    "But where is he?!" shouted Jack.
    Then the man rode out on a chariot pulled by four wolfhounds, well fed and strong, the beasts sprinted across the snow, tearing through the battlefield, everyone tried to avoid them, few succeeded. The wolfhounds didn't care who's side you were on, they ate everyone, tearing through flesh and crunching through bone. Any who did avoid them, were killed by the man with the ax. "How do we get to him?!" asked Conan.
    Then an arrow flue through the air and struck Jack through the shoulder, breaking through his right shoulder blade, puncturing his lung, and forcing him to drop his sword, the arm was unable to move, and all the muscles had been cramped. He gasped for breath,and fell to his knees, clutching his shoulder. Leo moved to defend him and barely managed to catch an arrow with his shield that had been directed at Jack's face. Leo drew his sword, and he and Conan struggled to defend Jack, winning was out of the question now, all they were worried about was surviving. Than an ax butt slammed Leo in the face, dazing him and knocking his helmet off of his head.Conan turned in time to see Leo about to be be-headed, he turned and parried. Then out of nowhere the Barbarian King came by and knocked Conan to the ground with his ax hilt  then one of the wolfhound grabbed his arm and pulled him across the blood soaked snow. However, Conan had given Leo enough time to recover, he took his sword and sliced his assailant across the chest. Then he stooped over and grabbed Jacks left arm, and began to drag him off the field. Luckily he was already close to the side of the battlefield. But when he retched the side, the man with the wolfhounds returned, Leo tossed Jack as far as he could to safety, and turned to fight off the wolfhounds. They barked and snapped at him, but they were no match for his blade, and soon they were all howling in pain, Leo would leave them alive to suffer. The Barbarian glanced at his dying hounds, stepped off his chariot, and hoisted his ax into the air and charged Leo, he danced to the side, narrowly avoiding the brute force of the Barbarian, Leo whirled around and took up a defensive position with his shield in front of him and his sword posed to attack. . .

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016
    Chapter 15 ~ Endurance
    The Barbarian leader brought down his ax like a coma, swiftly cleaving the stems of life for the harvest of death. Luckily Leo dodged to the side, twirling his sword through the air for a counter attack, but the Barbarian already had his second ax out, ready to defend himself from Leo's lean blade. Then the Barbarian began to routinely spin his axes in a defensive motion, parrying any attacks by Leo, while simultaneously preparing himself for a counter attack. Leo was forced into a defensive position, keeping his shield and sword in close, but he was losing ground, the distance between him and Jack was steadily decreasing. Then an arrow flew through the air and struck the Barbarian in the shoulder blade, spurting out blood, then another, and another, he whirled around, to see Conan coming at him with bow, his shoulder chewed up by the Wolves, with fresh blood smeared across his torso, the Barbarian shifted his stance to deflect the arrows, and Leo slashed his knee, blood now stained the snow around the Barbarian, and the Barbarian crumbled to the ground, but he was still kneeling, and he whirled around, striking Leo with the butt of his ax, sending him sprawling, but another arrow whizzed into the Barbarians bicep, and he threw the ax at Conan, but missed as Conan danced to the side, sending another arrow into the barbarians waste. He bellowed in pain, as his blood spilled from his body like wine from a goblet. Leo regained his footing, and jumped into the air to bring down a powerful death blow through the barbarians head, but he twirled his ax, catching Leo's foot, and he tumbled out of the air, somersaulting over the Barbarian, another arrow became lodged in the Barbarians wounded knee. And he screamed a blood curling scream and fell to the ground. Unfortunately, other barbarian warriors began to join the fight, as all of the other soldiers had been defeated. An arrow landed next to Leo, and a warrior charged Conan, catching him off guard. Conan worked his way back to Leo, who was defending Jacks body. Conan grabbed Jacks shoulders, and began to drag him off the field, leaving a trail of blood stained snow leading away from the pools of blood from the battle. Bodies lay everywhere, and the stench of death was in the air, as Wild wolfhound howled in the distance, preparing for a feast. Leo guarded Jack as they retreated across the frozen tundra. The Barbarians brought out stretchers for the wounded, those that remained either bore the wounded, the dead, or guarded them. None chased after them, but they made it very clear that they wouldn't be given such a second chance if they returned. They wanted to send a message, "Don't come back!" No one truly won that battle, but then again, there are no true winners in battle, only the survivors. . .

Jack was taken to the field hospital, but Leo had great doubts in the medics abilities to heal. He walked up to the keep in the center of the village, he paused, took a deep breath, and knocked on the heavy oak doors. Several moments later, they creaked open And Lord Ilium sat at the table, feasting his lonely feast, besides a sad fire, in the middle of a dreary room. "Welcome!" said Ilium, loud and clear, he didn't seem to have noticed the loss of the entire castled measly army, or the death of his commander, or the starving eyes outside the door, peering in with cold malice and a deep hatred for Lord Ilium. "Have a seat my boy!" laughed Ilium joyously. "What is it you wish to talk about?" he asked after Leo had taken the seat. He passed him a plate and the steak, Leo didn't take any of it. 
    "I have come to speak to you about Jack." said Leo.
    Lord Ilium's face turned grim, "Yes, such an awful incident." he cried.
    "I think he should be relocated to the hospitals of Arkaley, they are far more experienced there, and have much more supplies. It would be a waste of a good soldier to risk his death here." said Leo.
    "Yes I suppose you're right, but we shall need soldiers to travel with him." said Ilium, "And the only soldiers I'v got are you and Conan."
    Which is the next topic I was going to breach, I was hoping that you would send us to escort him Back to Arkaley, we are his friends after all, and who better to make the long and perilous journey with than your oldest companions?" asked Leo.
    "Well, my reinforcements will be arriving in a few days time, once they come, you can take the wagon back to Arkaley." said Ilium.
    "What about now? asked Leo, we have wagons, and Jack may not hold out for that long."
    "Don't push it." ordered Ilium, his face changing to a stern, harsh look.
    "Yes sir." answered Leo. he stood, bowed to lord Ilium, and turned to leave the dining hall.
    "Oh and Leo!" called Ilium.
    "Yes sir?" asked Leo, turning back.
    "I don't recommend you feed your food to the poor until the wagons arrive, it could be quite a while before you find food again." he said with a sneer.
    Leo gulped, "Yes sir." and he turned back and walked briskly out the door, once the gates had closed behind him, he broke into a run, if he couldn't take Jack to Arkaley immediately, than he would take care of him to the best of his ability. Likely he had picked up some helpful nursing tricks while he was in the hospital in Arkaley, which he now applied to Jack.

Keeping Jack alive for the remaining two days was the main occupation of Leo's time, day, night, and meal he stood besides Jack, struggling to keep him alive, he would have to take some nursing supplies with him to Arkaley. . .

~. . .To be continued. . .~

~NL~

edited 24.02.2016

~End of Part One~

~The Story continues in~

~"Empire Legends ~ Blitz of Fate"~

~NL~

• Luxtena (US1)Luxtena (US1) Posts: 518
    edited 30.01.2016
    Nice job!

Once, place upon which we stand be rich and full of joy, now corroded, end this childish argument, and thee may have peace and prosperity once again.
    (for those who don't understand shakespearese
    :lol)
    Once this forum was
    great and fun, now angry, and bitter, stop arguing, and we can return this forum to it's former state.
    #maketheforumsgreatagain

Luxtena
    member of the LOF family
  • Thanks, is there anything you specifically liked/disliked about it? Criticism is welcome!

~NL~

• No it's fine, there are mistakes quite often, and things that don't make sense, but it is good.
    Once, place upon which we stand be rich and full of joy, now corroded, end this childish argument, and thee may have peace and prosperity once again.
    (for those who don't understand shakespearese
    :lol)
    Once this forum was
    great and fun, now angry, and bitter, stop arguing, and we can return this forum to it's former state.
    #maketheforumsgreatagain

Luxtena
    member of the LOF family
Sign In to comment.