Home English (UK) Strategy & Tactics Discussion

We need new Moderators!

ModeratorWe are always on the lookout for talented people to join the team. That means you! If you think you could help us organise and inform the community while entertaining everyone then apply. We need people to help out on the forum, behind the scenes with announcements, on Discord and on our other Social Media channels.

If this is something you think might be of interest to you, HERE

The best commanders

Comments

• pajeg2 (GB1)pajeg2 (GB1) Posts: 510
    edited 19.06.2014
    The walls aren't as important as the keep. The walls may have 500 troops but the keep has thousands of troops.

320 max on the wall, and don't underestimate them

140619091256492061.jpg
    140619091308586350.jpg
    140619092204135504.jpg

90/90 commander with only 2 waves of tools, that's too weak

if you face a strong castellan, there's only one thing to do, range moat wall commander with full range and 3 waves of mantle/wall tools (nomad tools can take care of that)
    pajeg @ en 1
  • thermal15thermal15 Posts: 500
    edited 19.06.2014
    pajeg wrote: »
    320 max on the wall, and don't underestimate them

140619091256492061.jpg
    140619091308586350.jpg
    140619092204135504.jpg

90/90 commander with only 2 waves of tools, that's too weak

if you face a strong castellan, there's only one thing to do, range moat wall commander with full range and 3 waves of mantle/wall tools (nomad tools can take care of that)

Gate castellan 90/90, majority sword with some bow and spear. Ranged tools.

WAY-TOO-EASY
    Think fast, Hippie!

I am the deepest well. You are a dirty dishrag. I am the best that ever was or will ever be.

thermal15
  • pajeg2 (GB1)pajeg2 (GB1) Posts: 510
    edited 19.06.2014
    thermal15 wrote: »
    majority sword with some bow and spear. Ranged tools.

where do you see ranged at my door?

is that harder?

http://en.board.goodgamestudios.com/empire/showthread.php?106721-Best-Attack-Strategy-for-Castles-within-your-site

"range moat wall commander with full range and 3 waves of mantle/wall tools"
    his commander may have everything, but he send some mele, so that was too weak too

140619110629737712.jpg
    140619110617151735.jpg
    pajeg @ en 1
  • The NibirUThe NibirU Posts: 110
    edited 21.06.2014
    I was laughing at first, before i realised that you were being serious.

This is one of the best posts on the forum :)

To the Potato Commander: why do you insist so much on wall bonus, when you can beat any wall with tools only, but you cannot beat the wall with commander only, so you have to use wall tools anyway, so you don't gain a tool slot with your commander ??

And if Triangle's math is correct, the question is how often do you meet more than 2826 defenders for your commander to take advantage, not mentioning that the 90/90 can also get the 30% bonus?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nibs @ en 1
  • HourglassHourglass Posts: 16
    edited 26.06.2014
    thanks for your tips.
    Hourglass @ WWW 1
  • ranger will1 (US1)ranger will1 (US1) Posts: 202
    edited 26.06.2014
    how are you sposed to kill a ton of men in the keep even if you win all three flanks.. if im goin all ranged with all wall and gate and no ranged power... then i win all flanks make it to keep im kinda screwed.... and one thing id say is travel costs should be very last.... its kinda pointless.... i mean sending support its good but for sending attacks. as long as you keep hitting barons for coin no need for travel costs on commander... that should be last after everything else.. doesnt help you win battles
    [SIGPIC]
    [/SIGPIC]

i dont care that you get tons of glory from attacking noobs that just means you buy a ton of rubies. who cares that you know how to attack and the alliance was ldiotic enough to support, haha look at my glory ^
  • Conan (GB1)Conan (GB1) Posts: 1,609
    edited 26.06.2014
    Personally I agree with Tresiel. I have a -100 wall commander, I can there for attack someone only having use like 2 belfries and then have 28 room for manlets/shield walls. Take's out the ranged and melee defence easy.

RIP FreeDominion, you were great.

Conan @ Nowhereinperticular @ UK1
    Barack Obama
    giphygif
    Approves this Forumer.

• King NutzKing Nutz Posts: 1
    edited 27.06.2014
    need some help in setting up good commanders for defense and offensive gains.
    King Nutz @ usa 1
    edited 27.06.2014
    how are you sposed to kill a ton of men in the keep even if you win all three flanks.. if im goin all ranged with all wall and gate and no ranged power... then i win all flanks make it to keep im kinda screwed.... and one thing id say is travel costs should be very last.... its kinda pointless.... i mean sending support its good but for sending attacks. as long as you keep hitting barons for coin no need for travel costs on commander... that should be last after everything else.. doesnt help you win battles

And why on earth would you do any attack full ranged???? Don't tell me people on USA1 have tried full melee defence???!?!?!?!?!?

Barack Obama
    giphygif
    Approves this Forumer.

• nailtailnailtail Posts: 1,645
    edited 03.07.2014
    tresiel wrote: »
    A few of your are confused about what a strong commander is.

Well I'm going to help you out here by letting you know which commander bonuses are the best.

Cliffs:
    Wall > Gate > Moat > Everything else

The best is wall. Why? Cause everyone has a wall. Even a level 1 player who just started has a wall. And since both sides can use tools, that means you need to cancel out wall without relying on your tools' bonus. So make sure you get a ton of wall bonus.

The second best is gate. This paired with wall will ensure that you will always break through the defenders if he ever defends middle. This gives you control. When you use a gate heavy commander, you KNOW your opponent will be defending the flanks.

The third is moat. It's just like the wall, except that it's bonus is higher per tool, so it's weaker than wall (on defense. The reverse for offense). You want to cancel out as many tools as possible right? Then get a strong moat commander.

The fourth perk you'd want would be late detect. This isn't as important since it focuses on your opponent messing up rather than you successfully pounding him down. This makes sure that your opponent doesn't even see your hit coming so that he won't be able to set up a defense. However, if he has a early detect cast, it'll render your bonus useless.

The fifth would be speed. Speed is great, especially when paired with late detect. If he does see your attack coming, he'll only have 30 seconds before your army actually hits, meaning poor defenses. Offensively, this is better used for RV sneak attacks than hitting a main castle.

The sixth would be travel costs. When you get to the endgame, armies get really big, and you can drop 20,000 gold on just moving your army around. A travel cost commander lets you use all of that gold for recruiting more troops to wreck the opponent with. Travel cost can be reduced to -100%, basically sending your troops out for free

If you have KG units, 20,000 gold = 135.1 CBKG with no alliance help. (270 with) That means, every time you send your army out, you saved 135 CBKG. I'm sure you can see how it adds up.

The seventh would be tied for honor or glory. It depends on what you want. Honor gets you horrors, glory gets you KG.

Eighth would have to be melee troop combat strength. This doesn't do anything once you get to endgame, since your researched veteran or Kingsguard troops will be so powerful that bonus attack doesn't do anything for them. It's just so much more important to make sure you break down wall/gate/moat before worrying about beefing up your soldiers.

-100 wall vs 90% melee?

Well, a melee troop vs a melee troop with 100% wall is weaker than a 90% melee troop vs a melee troop.

1 vs 1 + (100% x 1)

or

1 vs 1 + (90% x 1)

It's easy to see the difference.

The worst in the game would have to be ranged troop combat strength. I HIGHLY recommend that you scrap any piece that has this. This is by far THE WORST trait to have on a piece of equipment. Beefing up your ranged soldiers doesn't do much at all. At endgame, you can take all 4 pieces of your equipment to get a maximum of +90% ranged attack. That means you get 190% ranged attack.

However, a defender gets to use tools such as arrow slits to beef up his ranged defense up 280% for a total of 380% defense. TWICE of what your can get on your commander! With game mechanics, a ranged defender counters a ranged attacker. Now imagine what double ranged defenders can do?

There are three wild card bonuses: fire damage, loot, and building destroy which max out at +50%, +?%, and +5% respectively. They don't affect the actual battle, so I haven't put them in this guide. They only take effect after the battle is over.

Listen to me and build your commanders like this.
    how does wall and gate bonus help when most of the people I attack are set at 0-0-100 once you get to the keep the wall and gate bonus is useless almost no serous players have defense set at 25-50-25 most have it at either 50-0-50 or 100-0-0 so having a gate commander is a waste of time, if 2000 attackers reach the keep and there are 1100 defenders of the same power but with +90% ranged and + 90% melee castellan then the attacker will lose. On the other hand an attacker with 1000 troops can kill 2000 defenders in the keep if they use a + 90% ranged and +90% melee commander. What it comes down to is you can reduce wall and gate protection with tools but you can not increase combat strength with tools therefor combat strength commanders are more valuable.

tresiel wrote: »
    Eighth would have to be melee troop combat strength. This doesn't do anything once you get to endgame, since your researched veteran or Kingsguard troops will be so powerful that bonus attack doesn't do anything for them. It's just so much more important to make sure you break down wall/gate/moat before worrying about beefing up your soldiers.
    on the contrary the better the troops the more of an effect it has not less for example a traveling knight has 146 attack power, but with a +90% melee comander it has 277.4 attack power.
    nailtail @ usa 1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoe, that way you're a mile away and have their shoes.
  • triangletriangle Posts: 425
    edited 04.07.2014

Try reading my earlier post (post #62 on this thread), where I address this issue. The thing is that there is a maximum bonus that can be delivered by the 90% combat strength commander, because the number of attackers is limited. For heavy crossbowmen, for instance, the absolute greatest bonus that can be delivered by a 90% commander is +105,984, in addition to their base strength. However, because the number of defenders is potentially limitless, the -30% bonus is also, potentially limitless. For example, if there are 2826 longbowmen in the keep, defending against your heavy crossbowmen, the -30% bonus on them would be a greater decrease in defense, than the increase in attack delivered by a 90% commander.
    Therefore, if you are facing off against 3k+ defenders, and are presented with a choice between getting the -30% bonus, and having a 90% commander, the -30% bonus should be the better deal.

I still think this commander idea is absolutely insane, but it does have an element of logic.
    My Thoughts:
    Two years of Playing GGE: Independent Alliance and None Ruby Players
    How GGS handles our Feedback

Why I decided to Leave
    Thoughts on the Legendary Update

Achieved title of "the terrible", on the 8th of August 2014, without buying rubies, and while playing in an independent alliance.
  • edited 21.11.2014
    RIP in peace tretre

gone but never forgotten
    nothanksjeffery @ usa 1

*Potato Crew*
    *Misc GGE Crew*
    *Skip Classes for GGE Crew*
    *Set alarm to wake up in the middle of the night for GGE crew*
    *Crew of all crews crew*
    *Girls sign off when I message them Crew*
    *paint my own nails to fap so it looks like girl is giving me handjob crew*
    *Get called bro but they never mean bro Crew*
    *Order a pizza, too scared to answer the door Crew*
    *foreveralone.jpg Crew*
    *not gonna make it crew*
    *hold my own hand to see what it feels like crew*
  • Lord SwordsmanLord Swordsman Posts: 45
    edited 30.11.2014
    Hi. I have a weapon that gives me a bonus on ranged soldiers but a larger less gate protection bonus. Should i sell the piece?
    RenegadeSaberWarrior_thumb1.png?imgmax=800

My favorite troop
  • Mr.assassin2 (US1)Mr.assassin2 (US1) Posts: 1,647
    edited 30.11.2014

Founder of Camelot Beasts.

• Highness Ho (GB1)Highness Ho (GB1) Posts: 2,763
    edited 30.11.2014
    don't sell equipment. Just upgrade it
    King Highness Ho @ en 1
    I AM A DUDE
    I don't buy rubies

Want a certain castle to go up in flames??? Visit My Bounty Hunting Thread!

Forum member of the month March 2015 WOOOHOOO!!!! Thanks all!!!

“The greatest victory is that which requires no battle" (rubies) ~Sun Tzu

I am Catman! The New SuperHero!!!

Member of the Cat family, including Graycat,Elliotell
  • Rathgar (US1)Rathgar (US1) Posts: 150
    edited 19.12.2014
    I can confirm.

This is solid advice. I follow it thorougly
    [PC]
    edited 19.12.2014
    I love my wall comm :) Cheers trisiel

Barack Obama
    giphygif
    Approves this Forumer.

• bryan bbryan b Posts: 3
    edited 14.06.2015
    Yeah, this is the biggest bunch crap I have ever heard. It is seriously embarrassing for the MISC to have a player who is such an idiot.

The thing this dude forgot to realize, was you can ZERO a ranged defense with tools. And now matter how strong the ranged defense is, say 400%, you can still zero that with 27 shield walls, AND it leaves room for 13 belfry (-260 wall) which would completely zero ALL of the defenders defenses!(aside from moat, which is inevitable) Do NOT listen to this guy!
    bryan b @ usa 1
  • bryan bbryan b Posts: 3
    edited 14.06.2015
    PROOF: http://prntscr.com/7dv22k

This attack was done using a 90/90 commander. Eat it, l3itch!
    bryan b @ usa 1
  • Lord Roj (GB1)Lord Roj (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,125
    edited 24.06.2015
    bryan b wrote: »
    Yeah, this is the biggest bunch crap I have ever heard. It is seriously embarrassing for the MISC to have a player who is such an idiot.

The thing this dude forgot to realize, was you can ZERO a ranged defense with tools. And now matter how strong the ranged defense is, say 400%, you can still zero that with 27 shield walls, AND it leaves room for 13 belfry (-260 wall) which would completely zero ALL of the defenders defenses!(aside from moat, which is inevitable) Do NOT listen to this guy!

Well I think now with gems any logic this strategy had is over, my 90/90 attack comm has 63% CY bonus, the 30% for all flanks is nice to get too, but no longer essential. I can easily take out 2800 men with a full attack, even without winning all flanks!
    Lord Roj @ en 1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file