Home EN General Discussions & Questions Tutorials and FAQs

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Big Farm Addiction Wiki

Kat Nip (GB1)Kat Nip (GB1) GB1 Posts: 3,796
edited 17.09.2014 in Tutorials and FAQs
Hey everyone,

Just because I apparently can't get enough of Big Farm, I've started a wiki about it. :)

It's called Big Farm Addiction.

I'd love help from all of you that enjoy the game too so feel free to stop by, help edit it, leave a comment or just have a bit of a read.

I really hope to see you all there. :)

Kat. Kittie_by_otomosc.gif
Post edited by Kat Nip (GB1) on

Comments

• Juk2Juk2 Posts: 16
    edited 14.11.2013
    Edited:Hey guys,

While of course I really appreciate the work and effort you put into Larino Coop's website, I must insist on keeping it to your signatures :) If I allow straight up hotlinking and advertising to one coop's page, I'll have to allow it for every coop's page. And then for every website in general. And then we're drowning in links of random websites, and I don't want that to happen.

So, please keep linking to your private pages and coop pages to your signature and your personal description in your profile - if you don't overload your sig with pictures, quotes, texts and other links, people will notice it there without the need to hammer their heads on it ^^

Thank you for your understanding,
    Timo/Latten
  • Larino (INT1)Larino (INT1) Posts: 4,572
    edited 14.11.2013
    So Latten, what is the use of a wiki if nobody may link to it? I dunno but this still hurts and I do not appreciate...
  • monica79538monica79538 Posts: 1,932
    edited 14.11.2013
    I am Very much confused about this wiki thing & just not ready to embrace the idea yet.

What purpose does it serve? is the forum to be replaced by this wiki page? cuz there is not much in there.

Larino worked hard to prepare that information and now--geez. it was to help GGS to get information about the game to the people to play.
  • rhon (GB1)rhon (GB1) Guest, GB1 Posts: 1,542
    edited 14.11.2013
    Quote "Please note: this wiki is a fan based effort and is no way endorsed by Goodgame Studios."

Yet the first thing you see is a big GGS logo. And this thread is stickied and started by a Board Moderator. I'm very confused

For now I'll continue to point folks to larino's web site for tutorials
  • monica79538monica79538 Posts: 1,932
    edited 14.11.2013
    Yep I thought the forum was 'fan based'. I am just not sure on what the purpose is for. A little explanation is needed please.
  • !!!_396723 (GB1)!!!_396723 (GB1) Posts: 253
    edited 14.11.2013
    Well I'm all for a Wiki. A forum is great for asking questions, posting tips and suggestions, playing games, and probably a hundred other uses, but let's be honest, it is fairly usless for finding information using the search, so the only way is to go through each of the forums and sub-forums, then trawl through all the threads until you find what you're looking for (assuming the thread had a proper title relating to what you're looking for).

A wiki is much more structured, and is a glorified help system (and hopefully much more detailed than the simple GGS help system). If it is structured properly (I'm sure you'll do a great job Kat Nip) then it makes it a lot easier to find the information that you're looking for.

So if I remember that somebody wrote a great tip/suggestion about an event in the LTE threads I don't have to spent time trying to find the correct thread, then finding the correct post. I can simply go to the Wiki, click Events, then hopefully all the information I'm looking for is there.

So while Larino has done a great job explaining how cooperatives work on her web site, when compared to everything else in Big Farm she has only just scratched the surface. A Wiki would be a great place to bring it all together.
  • Farmer DJ1Farmer DJ1 Posts: 138
    edited 14.11.2013
    @hodor Well said,And its should stop tons of useless threads being started,The wiki can show everything.
    Too many people here full of there own self-importance.
  • montuosmontuos Posts: 1,275
    edited 14.11.2013
    X(I find the empty Wiki an insult to the people that have been helping out on the forum for the past year. It is not good enough so it has to be started over?! no I don't think so. I want no part of this wiki thing. So upset right now. Want to delete every post i ever made right now, because they mean absolutely NOTHING!X(

Wow. Sit back and take a deep breath or two! How does someone wanting information in a different format make your contributions worthless? Your posts were right there when and where somebody needed them, and unless the facts are wrong, they still have value. Why would you want to destroy them just because someone is collecting information in another place?

This is not a question about "good enough"; it's an issue of different presentation and options. This wiki is no different than the spreadsheets various players have compiled and made available to the rest of us: it's just another way to collect information in a more compact and concise format than the forum. Different people process information in different ways, but that does not invalidate the information itself. It's just like how Prince Manish loves his information in large, colorful layouts with plenty of images, while I'd rather find mine in compact lists and grids. Both presentations have value, but but some people will find one easier to use and understand, while other people are much better off with the other style.

Of course Kat Nip's new personal project is still fairly empty, unlike the forum that has been contributed to by hundreds of people for a year. But how is it insulting that an apple is not an orange?
  • Kakerullen (SKN1)Kakerullen (SKN1) Posts: 243
    edited 14.11.2013
    When I go to that site in first post I come to page full of advertise of other game and "look at list of dead". (se liste over døde) And it was in norwegian. And a big advertise of brush makeup also in norwegian in the top.

I hope we still can use the forum when I need help and have to see things about the game. And see spreed sheet here in the forum not on that wikia site who in norwegian is no good because of all the advertising.
    edited 14.11.2013
    I hope we still can use the forum when I need help and have to see things about the game.

The forum is not going away, and the wiki is not going to replace it. The wiki is just an unofficial additional resource that Kat is offering us if we choose to use it and contribute, just like ss0209's event spreadsheets, and Larino's coop website and spreadsheets.
    edited 14.11.2013
    montuos wrote: »
    The forum is not going away, and the wiki is not going to replace it. The wiki is just an unofficial additional resource that Kat is offering us if we choose to use it and contribute, just like ss0209's event spreadsheets, and Larino's coop website and spreadsheets.

Thanks. :)
  • jaystarr2jaystarr2 Posts: 1,657
    edited 15.11.2013
    I want no part of this wiki thing.
    So don't contribute to it. Simple as that.
    monica wrote:
    Want to delete every post i ever made right now, because they mean absolutely NOTHING!X(.
    Really? Okay then.

To be fair, I do see what Larino's point is. She's put a TON of effort to her site. If the wiki is going to be useful, it'd have to be able to accommodate the information that Larino, SS, Manish, Montuos and whoever else has contributed in a way that doesn't step on their toes. So I think that if those people want to replicate their information for a wiki, they can, but they shouldn't have that information appropriated for the wiki.
  • Instant Ocean (US1)Instant Ocean (US1) US1 Posts: 189
    edited 15.11.2013
    Want to delete every post i ever made right now, because they mean absolutely NOTHING!X(
    Isn't it what you normally do eg post something and then for obscure reason, delete it? Sometimes, I wonder why you bother posting in the first place... I mean, if you are to delete them, why bother?

WIKI's are part of most big games out there and a ton of help. Much better than a forum. I'm all for it and if I can help, I will do so gladly. The work that has been done by Larino and others can be transferred to WIKI with a bit of reformatting. So no work is lost. WIKI for Big Farm is a GREAT idea and I truly hope it will make it.

Awesome idea!!! :)

EDIT : IMPORTANT... I failed to read the whole thread and I understand that Larino wanted to start something similar but NOT a WIKI per se on her CO-OP site. As much a I like Larino... and you know Larino that this is true, I can understand why Latten would not approve of this as it would be some sort of advertisement for your Co-op. If we are to have a WIKI site for Big Farm, it has to be totally independent of any group except the whole community. That is my take on it and I still think that Larino and others can contribute a great deal to a WIKI without being linked to any co-op. Anyway, pretty much every player in this game knows that Larino has an awesome co-op and since authors of a wiki article are disclosed, she will as others will as well, get due credit for her/his work.
    edited 15.11.2013
    jaystarr2 wrote: »
    So don't contribute to it. Simple as that.

Really? Okay then.

To be fair, I do see what Larino's point is. She's put a TON of effort to her site. If the wiki is going to be useful, it'd have to be able to accommodate the information that Larino, SS, Manish, Montuos and whoever else has contributed in a way that doesn't step on their toes. So I think that if those people want to replicate their information for a wiki, they can, but they shouldn't have that information appropriated for the wiki.

Our problem isn't with WHERE the info we gathered is accessible, I personally would love a good wikipedia page where I can easily find all the information this incredible community has gathered, but our problem is with the fact we were on our way to create a website like that, but we couldn't use it due to the fact GGS wanted all Big Farm related help and information on this forum, which is fair enough, so we stopped developing those parts (FAQ's, overall game strategies, including SS's spreadsheets, we contacted several people not in our co-op if we could use their material, etc.) and focussed our site more on our co-op again. We could have an amazing amount of information gathered by now, all neatly in one place with a giant bow on it.

And I don't think it will be a good idea to have "competing" websites, both with information about Big Farm, another reason we were baffled by the fact there apparently is room for a wikipedia but our site is "banned". Someone could have at least contacted Larino about this plan and ask if she wanted to help get those tutorials from our site to the wiki for instance.
  • Farmer DJ1Farmer DJ1 Posts: 138
    edited 15.11.2013
    The problem is your not affiliated with GGS,You can make spreadsheets and lots of other info about the game,And do Training coops in 3 or 4 different servers,For what?
    What your team is doing anybody can do,How many websites do want ?
    I know you like to help players,But at the expense of your own game,Your own day to day lives.Bottom line is this,The amount of time and effort you gather info about this game to help players,Will it be worth it when in 3 or 4 years when the game is DEAD.
    Your wasting your lives for a Game that has nothing to do with you.
  • MasterMystery22MasterMystery22 Posts: 1
    edited 15.11.2013
    This is to the people complaining...
    Stop i don't think you get it a wiki is just telling you the information about necessary things eg.seeds ..rose seeds how much it pays when you get it etc etc..It isn't necessarily to show you hot to play...
    It must have a company logo on there because you can type it in on Google and get something like farm ville..its compulsory to have a logo...A mod is technically part of GGS but they aint getting paid so it can be classified as fan made..as katNip said they made it cause they where addicted..
    Forums are for fun, asking question official announcements you need someone where else as a back up so the wiki would be great..Also dont act like the wiki is going to be complete in a day or 2 the amount of information that Big farm consists of it will be awhile just to say :)
  • Kat Nip (GB1)Kat Nip (GB1) GB1 Posts: 3,796
    edited 15.11.2013
    Hey guys, to be honest, I'm a bit shocked at some of the responses to the wiki. To explain things a bit more so that everyone is clear, this is a community based effort and while I've initiated it, there is an open invitation to everyone to join in and help make it something special. That means that anyone that wishes to, can contribute information to the wiki. If you don't wish to contribute or even just read the wiki, then you're not obligated in any way to have anything to do with it. This isn't being done to replace the forums at all - it's an additional resource to the forums.

Larino, Juk, I really do understand why you're upset, I also fully understand GGS's point of view. I sincerely apologise to you if you feel that I should have spoken to you first before going public with the wiki. It was not my intention in any way to step on any toes and if you decide you wish to help on the wiki, your help would be greatly appreciated as you have a good understanding of the game. If not, then I fully respect your wishes.

Monica, this wiki is in no way meant to undermine the work you've done around the forums to help other members. That work is appreciated and will remain as such. Since you don't wish to help on the wiki, then that's all good and I can completely respect your wishes on this.

I'd also like to mention that the logo that's on the front page of the wiki currently is taken from the Press section of GGS's website - everyone has access to that. It's possible that the logo will change in the future - as I learn how to do better graphics or if someone that has that skill is happy to help out with it. It's one of those situations - I had space to fill and needed a way to quickly fill it. :)

As for the information that's been correlated already on the forum, I wouldn't dream of using the work of someone else without their permission. If they wish for their work to be added to the wiki, then they are welcome to add it themselves or let me know and I'll do it for them. That being said however, information about levels and costs etc that have been posted by members in the threads will be used as it's really difficult to obtain that information post dated.

If anyone has any more concerns, I'm happy to talk to you about it.

• Sennea (US1)Sennea (US1) Posts: 40
    edited 15.11.2013
    Montuos made a good point about different learning styles and preferred ways of absorbing info.

IMO, wikis are excellent for collaboratively delivering information and forums are better for answering questions and general discussions. It would be great if GGS would consider integrating a wiki here and then it can be official. Also, then there would be no off-site fan-based wiki favoritism - not saying there is favoritism here, but can see how it might appear that way to Larino and others who had an interest and invested in creating something similar.
  • All4Fun (US1)All4Fun (US1) Posts: 224
    edited 15.11.2013
    Question? If this new website is not going to replace the forum and collaborate all of the information into another site, why is there a forum on Big Farm Addiction? While a Wiki is a good idea, we really don't need another forum out of GGS. I know I appreciate all of the help and information I have received from here, regardless of who gave that information to me.

Dear Kat Nip,
    While the wiki is a good idea, I can understand both sides of this discussion. For you to put all of the information into a structured, orderly construct is a good idea. You also intend for other players of the game to assist in developing the Wiki to help benefit everyone, which in a way can help get some repeated questions off of the forums (possibly, might keep happening).

People who object to this may feel as though you are abusing your rights as a moderator by saying "I can make a website about this game, post a sticky to the forum, but others aren't aloud to. na nana nana naaa." (no offense, just my childlike mind coming to the surface). Many people on this forum have given a lot of useful information and helped fellow gamers throughout the past year, and with a wiki available, may feel that they are no longer needed anymore. This could possibly lose a bit of that community feeling.

Now to give some advice on the website;
    The logo should be cut down to a maximum a quarter of the size on that main page. Having too many or too large an image may slow down loading speed for the browsers. Also the main page should include information about what Big farm is, what this site is about and the links to these pages (characters, events etc.) should be up top of the page with an additional address bar on the bottom of the page (a backup in case of dead links). If people are coming to your site to look for information, they shouldn't have to just see an image on the main screen and click link after link to get the information they need. It'll need a lot of work and you're just learning to create a website, so be patient and have fun.
    edited 15.11.2013
    I debated over putting one up or not, and decided in the end that it's a good place for people to post suggestions for what needs to be added to the wiki and things like that. I'm not expecting it to get a lot of use - we have this as the primary forum. It's the same with the chat feature. I've chosen to leave that off for the moment, however if there's enough people wanting it, then I can see it being a beneficial item to have.

• Myriad3Myriad3 Posts: 77
    edited 15.11.2013
    X(I find the empty Wiki an insult to the people that have been helping out on the forum for the past year. It is not good enough so it has to be started over?! no I don't think so. I want no part of this wiki thing. So upset right now. Want to delete every post i ever made right now, because they mean absolutely NOTHING!X(
    gosh a lot of posts to go through still.

You don't seem to understand what a wiki is, along with many other people that have reacted here. I am shocked to see people are getting insulted by the presence of a wiki. Have you ever heard of Wikipedia? One of the world's most used websites on the internet, a giant encyclopedia of just about everything. Based on this concept, many other wikis started appearing, for games, books, series.. anything, really.

Some wikis stay very small, with only a hundred or so pages, and are generally not very useful and informative because they lack a devoted community of editors. Major games on the other hand often have several wikis. They need not be enemies, often the same information can be found in multiple wikis, possibly in a different format, and it's mostly just a case of preference.

Wikis are a place where information is gathered and anyone can contribute. Coordinating information gathering projects is also much easier than here and people can actually work together. You don't need to be dependent on an OP to update the first post for found data to be findable. Note that a wiki is NOT a place for communication. Communication there is mainly about how to improve the wiki. It therefore has no conflicting function with this forum and the community here, no need to feel threatened. The only thing it might "replace" is the "Questions about the game" section, as many questions can be answered by referring the asker to the relevant wiki-page (how convenient!). So the forum will remain the place to be.

Anyone who has ever tried finding specific information on this forum will know how annoying it is to find anything. The search function is not particularly great. A place where all this information is gathered and easy to find and refer to is great, I don't see how anyone can be bothered by that. I have often wished for its existence.

Furthermore, the wiki is no different from other external sources that have been used, such as the spreadsheats for the events, which have met no resistance when they were introduced.
    ---

I think the wiki is a great idea and I will try to help out, although I don't have much experience with wiki-editing. I have only ever made minor changes to some wikis and helped gather some information. I'm not sure I can build a page from the ground up as I am not familiar with the right formats and other standards for a wiki.
    I do hope it will be a success, and won't become one of those wikis with only 56 pages and no info.
  • All4Fun (US1)All4Fun (US1) Posts: 224
    edited 15.11.2013
    Myriad3.
    Wasn't offended by the new forum or the new website, but seeing the exact same titles as the forums from here (like Fun & Games), it kind of seems pointless to have another one. And as I stated before, having a wiki is a good idea. I go to Wikipedia and Wiki sites all of the time for information or assistance on other games I play.
  • jaystarr2jaystarr2 Posts: 1,657
    edited 15.11.2013
    All4Fun wrote: »
    People who object to this may feel as though you are abusing your rights as a moderator by saying "I can make a website about this game, post a sticky to the forum, but others aren't aloud to. na nana nana naaa." (no offense, just my childlike mind coming to the surface). Many people on this forum have given a lot of useful information and helped fellow gamers throughout the past year, and with a wiki available, may feel that they are no longer needed anymore. This could possibly lose a bit of that community feeling.

I think this was the worry that I had when I said that I can see how Larino, etc. felt. I do see how Kat wants to help the players by making the wiki, but I'm honestly not sure how this is a source of information that gets to be official in the way that Larino's doesn't. Is it because Kat is a mod and can make a thread and sticky it? Or is it because this site is somehow more official than Larino's one or something? Was Kat making this site in her capacity as a player or as a representative of GGS?

Given how it's been presented, I don't think it's done in any official capacity. Kat is a player as well, and she loves this game and made the website as a player (otherwise we could debate the status of whether volunteer moderators count as representatives of GGS, or whatever). It's called "BigFarm Addiction", not "The Official Wiki for BigFarm". She took the GGS logo off their site and said that anyone else could have done that, as opposed to asked the game devs specifically for it (if she has access to that). She wants to make a wiki that is community based, and therefore would rely on PLAYERS to contribute to it.

I totally understand that. But then her status in making an informative site about the game is no different from any other player's status when they make an informative site about the game.

To be clear, I think the more information we have, the better. Hell, I would appreciate all the help I can get!! ;) But it just seems inconsistent to me that this one gets its own topic and link and stickified, while others do not. It might be better to just have one giant sticky topic called "USEFUL OFFSITE RESOURCES" or something and you can put everything in there, regardless of who made it or not.

Just my 2c
    edited 15.11.2013
    jaystarr2 wrote: »
    To be clear, I think the more information we have, the better. Hell, I would appreciate all the help I can get!! ;) But it just seems inconsistent to me that this one gets its own topic and link and stickified, while others do not. It might be better to just have one giant sticky topic called "USEFUL OFFSITE RESOURCES" or something and you can put everything in there, regardless of who made it or not.

Just my 2c
    :thumbup: I agree with you. Cudos to you for a good post.
  • Latten (DE1)Latten (DE1) Posts: 6,246
    edited 18.11.2013
    I will just go ahead and post modified parts of a PM in here I just wrote, together with a bit more explanation from my side. Here goes:
    it's absolutely not my (or GGS's) intention to shut down Larino, the Coop or, of course, Fansites in general - they are a great thing and we're happy about every single one of them :)

The thing I'm worried about only starts when the owner/writer of one site links "his" site with every upcoming opportunity instead of straight up helping the users right there in a thread - that's when it gets counterproductive and carries users away from the forums.

Of course, if the link is only additional to a post that's already helping and informing, and it's included because it really helps with a long or in-depth explanation, it's absolutely fine to link it. The problem arises though when that link only contains a basic explanation that could have been just posted in the thread without any problems.

We know people really want to help, and we appreciate it a lot, but we really have to take care about external link quality and amount in posts. Again, there's no problem if a user adds a quality link to an initially helpful post, if the post simply couldn't contain all the explanations in the link.
    I will have a problem though when the user uses every 3rd posting to paste a link that goes to a paragraph of 3 sentences that could easily have been written into the post itself.

That's the general gist of it. Posting links is not the problem here, we'd love everyone to help out fellow players, be it on the forums or on their personal website or fanpage. It's also absolutely not a personal vendetta against the Larino Coop, honestly, I have no idea where that even came from.

In fact, the point of a Wiki is to allow everyone to participate in it, as opposed to a personal website. The wiki Kat started in particular is not an official GGS site, it's neither endorsed or planned by GGS. It's a personal effort by Kat to get as much information into one place as possible, and, like every Wiki, it's supposed to be a group project by everyone who's willing to help out.

So, please don't make this a bigger issue than it actually is. If you want to start a helpful website, a coop homepage or a fansite: Awesome! Make it great! Put your love into it! Throw it into your signature! Make a thread about it to get some opinions! If a question in the forums is asking about one point you meticulously explained on it, go ahead and link it in a helpful reply to this question. Just make sure the post itself is not a simple 'ad' to your site, and we're all good.

Have a great day everyone,
    Timo
  • Daytona (INT1)Daytona (INT1) Posts: 425
    edited 18.11.2013
    Myriad3 wrote: »
    Anyone who has ever tried finding specific information on this forum will know how annoying it is to find anything.

I don't relate to that at all. Please don't speak for other people you know little or nothing about.
    Latten wrote: »
    The problem arises though when that link only contains a basic explanation that could have been just posted in the thread without any problems.

How much such spam linking occured ? I know it's a popular spam trick, but I don't recall seeing any on here.

Why do you think that unpaid helpful people should repeatedly type answers to FAQs rather than post a relevent link to a non commercial website like Larino's ?

Post edited by Kat Nip: Merged posts, please use the edit button
    edited 18.11.2013
    Latten wrote: »
    If a question in the forums is asking about one point you meticulously explained on [the site], go ahead and link it in a helpful reply to this question. Just make sure the post itself is not a simple 'ad' to your site, and we're all good.

I can 100% assure you that Larino never posted anything with the intention of marketing the website. Like Daytona said, Larino saw the same questions over and over and over and thought this would save a lot of time, and it did save a LOT of time.

The mere suggestion makes me wonder why she was never approached on this issue if GGS felt this way about her methods before telling her she couldn't post any links at all.
  • MooseJ2MooseJ2 Posts: 10
    edited 22.11.2013
    There already is a Wiki, and it's even on Wikia.

http://gbf.wikia.com/wiki/Goodgame_Big_Farm_Wiki

It's also pretty bare, but I've been trying to add things as I can.
    edited 22.11.2013
    Kat Nip2 wrote: »
    As for the information that's been correlated already on the forum, I wouldn't dream of using the work of someone else without their permission. If they wish for their work to be added to the wiki, then they are welcome to add it themselves or let me know and I'll do it for them.

I just realized that I got diverted by all the hoopla and forgot to put this in writing: You have my explicit permission to copy into the wiki any useful information I have posted in the Big Farm forum. I'd prefer that it be attributed to "montuos", but I don't insist on that. That goes for anyone who is collecting Big Farm data and advice anywhere else, too.

I haven't yet troubled to learn wiki markup, so I won't be adding anything myself right now, but I may drift through periodically later on.
    edited 22.11.2013
    Thank you so much for that montuos, you have some amazing info that will really enhance the wiki! I'll ensure that your work is credited to you too. :D

Sign In to comment.