Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Suggestion: Increase the strategic value of decos

Raven68 (US1)Raven68 (US1) Posts: 101
An observation and a suggestion

On the farms below level 100 (just a random level I picked, not a real delimiter) the decos have a significant value to the game. Keeping the happiness level decently high can really speed the process of building your farms by decreasing your production costs. Conversly, having low happiness can bankrupt you fast & leave your farms at or near a full stop. Plus, there are tasks for the decos that also add to their strategic value. They are also fun, beautiful & humerous.

Then, at some point above level 100, the decos stop having any real value to production (or any of the competitive events). Once you completed or near completed all of the upgrades, you can make lots of farm cash with very little to spend it on (besides island farms). Therefore, you can simply run farms at low or very low happiness. Ergo, exit all or most of the decos from the advanced farms to be replaced with production.

My point is that an important, strategic factor in this game disappears. Gone is the tight interplay between happiness & production, between limited real estate & tetris shapes, between what is desired & what is possible. Gone is the layered complexity of having to choose between conflicting needs.

For a game that is so well thought out in so many ways, it seems like a real design flaw as players begin to reach advanced states. It is in the very interplay of conflicting needs of a game that strategies are born & entertainment is found.

Suggestion - add a second value to the decos; one like the Powerhouse tractor that increases the productivity of stables. Bind this new value to the happiness rate. Have a 70% happiness, then get a 2% (or 10% or some value) boost to your farm's productivity for orchards, fields and stables. Have a 30% happiness, then get a 2% (or 10%, etc) reduction to your farm's productivity for orchards, fields and stables.

There are lots of variations to my suggestion above, including only making this feature active after a player passes level 100 (again, a random level) However implemented, it would continue the strategic need for decos, increasing the possible strategies for players & keep the game vibrant for upper level players. It would also give the landscape architect additional importance.

I realize no one is forced to remove decos in favor of productivity and that competiveness is not the only motivation to play this game. What is important, remains (look at the abundance of apples, cow & chickens). What isn't important, disappears (decos). If decos are ultimately unimportant to the advanced levels of this game, why continually offer us new, beautiful decos?

I happen to love decos and I have been able to be competitive with them on my farms. I want a way to remain competitive with advanced players without having to sacrifice my decos on the alter of productivity and/or competitiveness. Return the importance of decos back into the game.
Post edited by Raven68 (US1) on

Comments

• kbahr007 (US1)kbahr007 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,841
    edited 13.07.2015
    This may sound ignorant but I have no idea the poin of the message. I am above level 100 and if i choose to i may go back to high happiness, right now main farm is -450 happiness but i offset it by using the flowerfarm to make money. I still can upgrade some without the architect. When I do start having a lot of extra money, about 200 mill, i will start doing the temp farms in earnest. The point being is that if you use strategy in the game, you should never gough bankrupt
  • Raven68 (US1)Raven68 (US1) Posts: 101
    edited 13.07.2015
    Bankrupcy isn't the issue. That your farm is operating at -450 happiness is exactly my point. You have few if any decos - they have lost any value to the game for you. The way the game is currently designed, what you have done is the logical evolution to maximize money making or competition. Yet, when you first started, the decos were an integral part of growing your farm. Now they are gone from your farm. I'm suggesting that the decos be modified so that they continue to be important to competition & money making, that they continue to be a part of this game.
  • Data King (US1)Data King (US1) US1 Posts: 7,994
    edited 13.07.2015
    Raven "On the farms below level 100 (just a random level I picked, not a real delimiter) the decos have a significant value to the game. Keeping the happiness level decently high can really speed the process of building your farms by decreasing your production costs. Conversely, having low happiness can bankrupt you fast & leave your farms at or near a full stop. Plus, there are tasks for the decos that also add to their strategic value. They are also fun, beautiful & humorous."
    I am not sure that decorations can speed the building process, I thought only upgrading the main farm houses could do that. Could you please give me an example of which decos speed up the building process.
    As for those players who are over level 100 and have all the event decos. They can now use "Greta the landscape architect" to upgrade those higher value decos!
  • Raven68 (US1)Raven68 (US1) Posts: 101
    edited 13.07.2015
    I guess I didn't get idea across very well - my bad.

I'm not referring to the time it takes to build or upgrade a specific item. There aren't any decos that directly speed up the building process. Your right, Data King, only the farmhouse can do that.

Decos increase happiness. Higher happiness levels will decrease the production cost of starting an orchard, stable, field, windmill, etc. Decreased production costs leave more dollars to apply to upgrades and builds. So the decos have an indirect effect on how fast you can grow your farms. When we were just a main farm or main+gourmet farms, that extra cash was really important. If you have really low happiness (and no flower farm) it becomes very expensive to run the farms & not a lot of extra cash for those upgrades.

Finally, Greta can increase the happiness of individual decos, but ultimately there is no need to. As kbahr007 has pointed out, you can run the main farm with zero decos if you have a strong flower farm to cover the expense. I've seen plenty of other farms who do so.
  • Yakoska (US1)Yakoska (US1) Posts: 1,631
    edited 13.07.2015
    I think that's what the designers are trying to do with events like the Island and the Candy farm (which is a fail at the moment). That is, if you choose to maximize production on your farm instead of dollars, events like the Island and Candy Farm (leading to horseshoes and horses) are harder (unless you use gold).

-Y
  • Data King (US1)Data King (US1) US1 Posts: 7,994
    edited 13.07.2015
    Thanks Raven I thought I was missing something about the decos. I agree the higher the happiness the easier it is to make enough money to upgrade what ever on any of your farms, Main Gourmet and Flower. I try to keep all mine over -85%. Now with Greta in the mix one can decease the number of decos by increasing the value of the their higher value decos. Then add more stuff as they see fit. again a win win in my books!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file