Home EN Discussion Corner for the official announcements

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Update - December 11th - Horse breeding and other surprises - Discussion thread

Have fun discussing :)Here's the announcement thread
Post edited by Latten (DE1) on

Comments

• rhon (GB1)rhon (GB1) Guest, GB1 Posts: 1,542
    edited 09.12.2014
    I've read through it twice now

I still don't see the point of it.

Can someone explain to me what I have missed?
  • Pingo42Pingo42 Posts: 537
    edited 09.12.2014
    What I don't get is, what's the benefit to doing all this horse stuff? I enjoy the island, but shells & horseshoes really aren't much of a reward for a month of work, effort & expense. The new features may make the horse thing more interesting than it has been, but for what? Why bother with it? In what way does it benefit my farms?
  • Trippel (NL1)Trippel (NL1) Posts: 299
    edited 09.12.2014
    Lester's, George's and Tessa's horse can now reach level 100, the characters themselves can reach level 120 (blue star)
    Is there a choice who we want to race , the horse or the character?
    Player horses can now reach level 100.

How many horseshoes do you need to reach lvl 100? Anyone actually done the math?
    The foal will receive the more valuable parent's breeding quality level. The higher the foals breeding value, the higher the additional chance for an increase of its breeding quality.

What 'chance'? GGS 'random' is a little different then any randomgenerater i know of.
  • RunsWivScissors (GB1)RunsWivScissors (GB1) GB1 Posts: 6,633
    edited 09.12.2014
    Winning competitions seems to be the goal. There is still the undisclosed new feature after the ranch for using golden horseshoes, but I am not sure if all competition wins are paid with them or if we can win cash or gold.... I just go with the flow & collect stuff and figure that one day I will know what to do with it all lol ... If there is one thing I have learnt about BF, it is that it requires patience & lots of it. 8|
    edited 09.12.2014
    Winning competitions seems to be the goal. There is still the undisclosed new feature after the ranch for using golden horseshoes, but I am not sure if all competition wins are paid with them or if we can win cash or gold.... I just go with the flow & collect stuff and figure that one day I will know what to do with it all lol ... If there is one thing I have learnt about BF, it is that it requires patience & lots of it. 8|

And two (or more) horses will double (or tripple) the fun? Winning gold? Bet there will be a few possibilities to spend gold.

Since the first day this whole circus started, we have heard the same thing over and over again, 'wait, the next update will make things better'. My best bet is, they still havent got a clue about the horses, the level 100 training will take ages and is just there to buy them time.

Is this upgrade the reason the Island was shortened by two days?
  • farmerjohn 22 (US1)farmerjohn 22 (US1) US1 Posts: 37,770
    edited 09.12.2014
    So we go from raising horses to becoming professional geneticists? It's getting way too complicated for my taste. It should have been made a lot simpler. I foresee many threads filled with confused players on the way.
  • Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557
    edited 09.12.2014
    I for one, farmerjohn, am confused :huh:(looks far too complicated to me, too!) and do agree with Samty: read it even trice and still not getting the point of it! :S
  • Raven68 (US1)Raven68 (US1) Posts: 101
    edited 09.12.2014
    You can now upgrade your Stable up to level 7 using competition horseshoes
    More stalls: You can now store up to 7 horses
    Each level comes with more stalls for new horses to live in.
    How many boxes are unlocked with each building level can be reviewed in the Stable building info.

I hope there are massive rewards (gold horseshoes) each time I win a competition against another player. I earn so few gold horseshoes now in the competitions, (random wins of my 20% to 30% chance VS the AI's 80% to 70% chance) that I can't even upgrade the training arenas beyond level 3.

And what does all the upgrading of the training facility get me so far? At level 3 arenas, an additional '+3' gold stars each time I train. It doesn't matter if I spend 20 gray horseshoes or 1000 gray horseshoes, I still only get +3 gold stars. If the upgrade to the training fields affected the ratio of gray horseshoes per gold star, then I'd be motivated to spend those precious gold horseshoes for upgrading. (ie. currently 'non-intensive' training requires 20 gray horseshoes per gold star no matter the level of the training arena. Why not make level 2 training arena require only 18 gray horseshoes per gold star? and less and less as you upgrade those training arenas)

Then there is the issue of earning the gray horseshoes (HS). Without the greenhouse fruit, I would only earn paltry numbers of horseshoes from MainF, GourmetF, & FlowerF produce. (as I write this, Capt Barnacle offers 3 HS for 106 dandelions, 4 HS for 18 Donkey, 11 HS for 122 almonds & 27 HS for 150 peaches (1/2 of my level 2 peach orchard that takes 3 fertilizers & 14 hours to harvest - are you kidding me!)) Total HS earnings = 27 HS. Lets just assume that's an average 30 HS earning per shipload; and an average of 3 ships per day = 90 HS per day. Now head over to the horse ranch training facility where it cost me 570 gold stars to move from level 7 strength to level 8 strength. 570 gold stars x 20 gray HS per star (non-intensive training only) = 11,400 gray HS. If I'm only earning 90 gray HS per day, that's 127 days (over 4 months) to upgrade one training type one level. All that so I can compete and win once before the AI upgrades their levels and I'm back to losing 90% of the time - and no gold horseshoes needed to run the rest of the horse ranch.

Fortunately, I have the greenhouse fruit, but they can only be grown with seeds purchased with shells. Shells which can only be earned from the island event. An Island event that is a massive $$ sink hole which I won't go into detail because there are plenty of threads on that subject.

I'm a new player, only level 48, that got hooked on the fun of building farms & co-op. Ultimately, there is always the final answer to my long winded message - I don't have to participate in either the island event or the horse ranch. I barely do - growing just enough peanuts - to buy greenhouse seeds - to maximize the dollars offered by Capt. Barnacle - so I can run the farms - nothing more.

My point is how disappointed I am in the incredible efforts made by GGS designers, developers, testers, & entire team to release a major feature that seems only targeted at the top tier players who (judging from their messages in other threads) have millions of dollars & tens or hundreds of thousands of horseshoes. If you level 100 or less, the horse ranch isn't worth the distraction.

I love this game; (as an IT techie for over 30 years) I want it to succeed & grow. Prove me wrong GGS. :love:Offer the mid-level players something in the horse ranch.
  • SirGeorge (US1)SirGeorge (US1) Posts: 354
    edited 09.12.2014
    I don't get it.
    edited 09.12.2014
    Lets see,
    To breed a 2nd generation horse you need two 1st generation horses.
    To breed a 3th generation horse you need two 2nd generation horses.
    For best results you need to train 4 1st generation horses, 2 2nd generation horses and 1 3th generation horse.
    Thats a total of 7 horses to train to lvl 100 (for best results) and there is still the 4th, 5th and 6th generation.
    To obtain a 6th generation horse you need to train 63(!) horses to level 100.

What if you make a mistake, lets say with the two 5th gen horses (thats 62 horses trained to level 100)
    If you close the breeding confirmation window without applying any or all effects, the system will randomly pick some of the available breeding effects to apply to your new horse's empty slots.
    Knowing there might be a problem but still choosing not to deal with it in a proper way.

You need more shoes, GGS shortens the islandtime and decreases shellvalue.
    Is there really anyone out there who doesnt see whats in plane sight?
  • Raven68 (US1)Raven68 (US1) Posts: 101
    edited 09.12.2014
    I just started a training sessions and realized a math error above. It's 20 gray horseshoes per 2 gold stars.
    where it cost me 570 gold stars to move from level 7 strength to level 8 strength. 570 gold stars x 20 gray HS per star (non-intensive training only) = 11,400 gray HS. If I'm only earning 90 gray HS per day, that's 127 days (over 4 months) to upgrade one training type one level.

Should be: 570 gold stars x 10 gray HS per star (non-intensive training only) = 5,700 gray HS. If I'm only earning 90 gray HS per day, that's 63 days (over 2 months) to upgrade one training type; one level.
  • cabo (INT1)cabo (INT1) Posts: 360
    edited 09.12.2014
    I am glad to see some changes with horse ranch, and I think it will be fun and challenging!
    Will just wait to see what the update brings!
  • SirGeorge (US1)SirGeorge (US1) Posts: 354
    edited 09.12.2014
    This update is expected to take place between 08:30am and 11:00am CET and will come with a downtime of approximately 60 minutes.

Any chance we can get a 60 minute extension on the Island?

Also, given GGS's track record with updates and the likelihood of bugs and more downtime/rollbacks I certainly hope they are ready on Friday. If not, support will be busy this weekend.
  • gizmo22 (AU1)gizmo22 (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,720
    edited 09.12.2014
    I tend to agree with the "whats the point of it all" outlook........apart from a new quest chain I dont see how this benefits any of our regular farms. We spend money to get what.......more horses? The one I currently have is boring enough thanks.
  • BriannospamGame (SKN1)BriannospamGame (SKN1) Posts: 1,803
    edited 09.12.2014
    Update Dec. 12th
    That's a friday! - is that smart?
    Even my memory is bad, I still remember there was one of the latest updates which have so fatal bugs, that it was impossible to play the game in several hours... and that was on a friday, so they only get fixet some of the worst bugs so the game could run in the weekend, rest of the bugs first being fixed in the following week.

I would strongly recommend that this update does not happen on a Friday!
    Can it not be a few days earlier, I would rather wait to get it on the following Monday, which then will be 15 December.
  • ArtmakerArtmaker Posts: 415
    edited 10.12.2014
    Ok, what the hell?

I don't care about the horses right now. I'll wait till all the usual assortment of any new thing bugs show up, get complained about, slotted to be fixed.... then I'll wait the several MONTHS it will take to actually fix it.

Meanwhile, what happened with the island???????????
    I was into chapter two. All of a sudden I'm starting OVER?

I'd type what I think of that but your filters will only remove it. Use your imagination. [Insults removed | Nafaru]
  • Seeker1 (US1)Seeker1 (US1) US1 Posts: 571
    edited 10.12.2014
    SirGeorge wrote: »
    Any chance we can get a 60 minute extension on the Island?

Also, given GGS's track record with updates and the likelihood of bugs and more downtime/rollbacks I certainly hope they are ready on Friday. If not, support will be busy this weekend.

Im all for the new additions to the horse ranch :thumbsup:...but... could they wait until the island event is finish???
    Is bad enough they already shorten the island event a few days... and now Im reading several reports of players having their island tasks reset?!!?!!?

I have a bad feeling about this....:huh:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 106,969
    edited 10.12.2014
    Its the usual way for GGS to try and confuse us, they dont do simple things, because with some logic we could work it out. Like the missions, why so many variations to the requirements- why not just do players of near level ranking in a proper random order for the mission. So much rubbish like what level you are and how good or bad you did previous missions and did you use gold and if you have short or long hair or depending on what you had for dinner. Random ! GGS's first line of defence, is 13 missions before i got a wild flower mission, to harvest my specials, random ? Clear your cache ! The horse ranch will be the same, we'll choose to breed the most talented horses in the world, being bought using gold of course, and we will end up with a donkey because of GGS's stupid idea's. meaning we have to buy even more horses using gold, complain ! and the they'll blame it on the cup of coffee you had, or tell you to clear the cache. Doing the update on a Friday is so that all the complaints can be dealt with after a good 2 days rest.
    I did like this game, and still like the game really, but not all the pathetic things and excuses that GGS come out with, Yes they need gold sales but ask us to buy, oooopps they do every 5 minutes, and not try to make out that the players are all too thick and stupid that they will not notice GGS trying to trick us into buying gold.
    I bet you can guess where i would like to stick that pitch fork.. answers to my in box
  • LoveTheThunder2LoveTheThunder2 Posts: 20
    edited 10.12.2014
    This stable and horse is about as interesting as watching paint dry. I stopped doing those competitions because it all seemed so pointless. After upgrading as much as possible, I found I still won so few competitions, that it was taking forever to get enough golden horseshoe to upgrade the rings further.

Now the software developers have come up with this absurdly complex scheme that is about as user friendly as the Internal Revenue Service.

Please, please, please....get rid of this. It was a mistake from the start and rather than trying to salvage something so dull and boring, just admit the mistake, get rid of it, and move on to something new.
  • FlowerChild (INT1)FlowerChild (INT1) Posts: 127
    edited 10.12.2014
    lol... thanks youkydevil. I needed a good laugh.

Yea missions. I have three farms. One has that green tractor maxed as high as it can go. SUPPOSE to give more certs right?

Well... this morning, came in first in corn on one farm. Got a whopping 69 certs.
    Came in third on another farm with the green tractor not all the way upgraded.
    And got the exact number.

NO clue how this dumb thing works. All I know is I will not be spending one red cent on this.
    Just the other day trying to harvest fast for a mission and accidently clicked a nearby cow shed. BOOM gold spent to push a harvest I did not need or want to push.

But it's game gold. Easy come easy go. IT's that easy go part that prevents me from ever spending real money.

Not only did my island now require all the same crap I already did, but my upgraded bank will NOT transfer any more than the lowest level one did.

TIme to log off of this nonsense and go play something installed on my computer that won't change with a shift in the wind.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 106,969
    edited 10.12.2014
    So we go from raising horses to becoming professional geneticists? It's getting way too complicated for my taste. It should have been made a lot simpler. I foresee many threads filled with confused players on the way.

This x infinity! X(

First of all, unless there is jousting involved, horses don't do "tournaments". It's not tennis. :p

Second... what? Just. WHAT?!?! That explanation is so complicated and convoluted it's ridiculous. X(

Finally... OMG am I back to ROFLing because oh no, GGS didn't want to overwhelm players with a fourth permanent farm, but this? This breeding idea that is so complex it's going to need a flipping schematic and an engineer to read it - OH WAIT I GET IT INSTEAD OF AN ARCHITECT WE'LL NEED A BREEDING CONSULTANT! WHO WILL BE GOLD-ONLY! GENIUS!

X(

Nope, that's not overwhelming at ALL. *keyboard smash*

(Seriously, WTF. I've only played this game for six months and it's gone from enjoyable & amusing and mutated into some enormous monster that is returning very little fun-times for the effort anymore.)
  • jaclark (GB1)jaclark (GB1) Posts: 37
    edited 10.12.2014
    You can mate 2 horses in order to get a new foal. The parents will leave after this process, in order to make way for the new generation.

Why would you spend all the time and effort required to train horses only to have "the parents" disappear after the "foal" arrives.
    Not worth it.
  • Pietral (US1)Pietral (US1) US1 Posts: 163
    edited 10.12.2014
    I really only have 1 question:

Do opponent levels reset when facing a new horse? (The current competition transporter seems to indicate not, but call me an optimist.)
  • Pameow (AU1)Pameow (AU1) AU1 Posts: 266
    edited 10.12.2014
    The patch notes have become a wall of text, sorry can't be bothered reading it even once. Managed to get half way.

It was already becoming easier to log out for longer amounts of time. Thanks GG$ for the increased freedom from your site.. take your *** horses and keep them to yourself [Please watch your language | Nafaru]

Thanks heaps Starsie for the irony, its too funny for words.
  • roadrunnernm (US1)roadrunnernm (US1) US1 Posts: 287
    edited 10.12.2014
    I am done, thank you, with the horse ranch... too boring for words and now this jazzy stuff.... ugh!! I tried to read through the new update information and said WHY!!!!!!!???????? What is the point of all this?
    I am losing interest in the game with each passing glitch and weird horse ranch and event after event. I mean how many of the same ol' same ol' decos do I really need?

Starsie, I will say it again.. you are a breath of fresh air!!
  • CM NafaruCM Nafaru Posts: 1,325
    edited 10.12.2014
    Hello everyone,

first of all, the update date had a typo in it. The update will happen tomorrow, not friday. :)
    Trippel2 wrote: »
    Is there a choice who we want to race , the horse or the character?

Hey Trippel2,

you will always face the character. The character's horse has a maximum level (much like your horse's breeding value that is an indicator of attribute levels). Once your opponent's horse gains level 100, it won't get much stronger. However, if you keep winning against the owner, their experience level will still go up a little further, increasing their "luck" slightly.

So if you were to face a level 110 George, your horse will compete against a horse that has roughly the same stats as a horse with breeding value (level) 100, but George's chance to win is slightly increased because of his experience with horses. You can of course counter this with a specialized horse that has good breeding effects. ;)
    Trippel2 wrote: »
    And two (or more) horses will double (or tripple) the fun? Winning gold? Bet there will be a few possibilities to spend gold.

There is still only one thing that will cost gold, which is skipping training times. Everything else will only take horseshoes or competition horseshoes. :)
    Update Dec. 12th
    That's a friday! - is that smart?

[...]

I would strongly recommend that this update does not happen on a Friday!

Good thing the update date had a typo in it, BriannospamGame2. ;)
    Typo was corrected, update will happen on Thursday.
    Pietral2 wrote: »
    Do opponent levels reset when facing a new horse? (The current competition transporter seems to indicate not, but call me an optimist.)

Hey Pietral2,

opponent levels will not reset when they face a new horse. However, since the new generation will always inherit some of the values of their parents, you should always own a horse that should be up to the challenge, just as now. :)

Regards,
    Steffi

PS: please keep the discussion on topic. For technical problems with the island farm and winter event, please check the respective forum section (Technical Problems & Bugs). Thanks.
  • Dara (SKN1)Dara (SKN1) SKN1 Posts: 2,638
    edited 10.12.2014
    Second... what? Just. WHAT?!?! That explanation is so complicated and convoluted it's ridiculous. X(

Finally... OMG am I back to ROFLing because oh no, GGS didn't want to overwhelmplayers with a fourth permanent farm, but this? This breeding idea that is so complex it's going to need a flipping schematic and an engineer to read it - OH WAIT I GET IT INSTEAD OF AN ARCHITECT WE'LL NEED A BREEDING CONSULTANT! WHO WILL BE GOLD-ONLY! GENIUS!

I have to say, that i don't understand almost anything about the update........too complicated
    Maybe i just sell my horses to the captain of the ship, he may take it where ever he wants to (hope he will not give me a horseshoes anymore after taking the horse away... ;))
  • Lilypaddle (INT1)Lilypaddle (INT1) Posts: 614
    edited 10.12.2014
    Jiesta wrote: »
    I for one, farmerjohn, am confused :huh:(looks far too complicated to me, too!) and do agree with Samty: read it even trice and still not getting the point of it! :S

Yeah me too. I have to say though that the horse farm isn't my favorite and I forget it is there half the time.
  • CM NafaruCM Nafaru Posts: 1,325
    edited 10.12.2014
    Dara15 wrote: »
    I have to say, that i don't understand almost anything about the update........too complicated

Dara15, it probably sounds more complicated than it looks and feels in the game once it's there. ;)

We will provide tutorial tasks to guide you through some of the steps as well.

Don't send your horse away just yet, give it a last chance. I'm sure it doesn't want to be turned into sausage. :p
  • katmorr (AU1)katmorr (AU1) Posts: 96
    edited 10.12.2014
    Well said.
Sign In to comment.