Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Island POLL who is opening Island / who is NOT

Is this a Money Pit?
YAY or NAY

X(
NO ONE in my little Co-Op is Opening this MONEY PIT.
Post edited by bdszabo (US1) on

Comments

• bdreish (GB1)bdreish (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,341
    edited 18.11.2014
    Have not opened the Airport, so do not visit the Island. I dont have the time or the farm cash/gold required to be able to play it, and I prefer to send out my full boat 3 times a day without having to scramble to produce fruit or wait 6hrs to wait for the boat to sail incomplete. I also have not bothered to start the Ranch for much the same reasons. The 3 farms, weekly events and co-op projects are enough to occupy my time.
  • elunia13 (GB1)elunia13 (GB1) Posts: 162
    edited 18.11.2014
    Yes, it is a money pit, just like the Charity Drive and its prize, the telescope, was. But it is soooo much more fun! :) It is not very stressed by GGS (no prizes for guesses why), but it is an event for really advanced players, I would say level at least 80 and over, those who have lots of spare cash (at least 70 millions of farm dollars) and who have developed their farms and don't need the building slot very much. But I simply love it, so, for the third time I have opened it the minute it arrived! (And as it happened, I am level 121 and had about $87,000,000 spare waiting for Steve, but since that fat-slob-car-mechanic-supposed-architect haven't arrived, I am going to blow it on the island with great gusto and pleasure!) ^^
  • Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557
    edited 18.11.2014
    Hear hear elunia!! Same here! :thumbup:
    Opened the island again and loving it again! Yes - it is a moneypit, it is supposed to!

We warned all our coop members not to start playing the island event too early. Some of them didn't open it, they rather wait till they have the money. Others opened it and they now admit: "I just had to resist the temptation!" and accept that.

Sure thing is that everybody in our coop is aware of the fact that their 3 farms are never to be jeopardized by any event, these 3 farms should always be looked after and be put at first place.
    Do you have the money (at least >$70, as elunia said) then you can give it a try - if only for growing oranges and making Orange Fizz or breeding Lemurs, or whatever to gain shells.
    Once you are sitting on many more millions of dollars then you can try to play all 3 chapters for the Sand Palace.

Last time I played the island event without gold and gained my Sand Palace. During all the 30 Island days I prioritized my 3 farms and 2 days before the event ended I already earned my cash back were it was before the island started! LOL :D
    edited 18.11.2014
    Jiesta wrote: »
    We warned all our coop members not to start playing the island event too early. Some of them didn't open it, they rather wait till they have the money

That's what I did in our coop, Jiesta, already last week, when the upgrade was announced. We explained in details all the pitfalls, so that the lower level players can make an informed choice and delay the pleasure of playing the island until they are ready for it! :)
  • farmerjohn 22 (US1)farmerjohn 22 (US1) US1 Posts: 37,770
    edited 18.11.2014
    Not to get off topic, elunia, but since you mentioned it, just where is that doggone Architect hiding? I haven't seen him in AGES! I want to get my chicken coops finished!
    edited 18.11.2014
    Not to get off topic, elunia, but since you mentioned it, just where is that doggone Architect hiding? I haven't seen him in AGES! I want to get my chicken coops finished!
    Your guess is as good as mine, farmerjohn; he was here on 2nd of November, so most probably other two weeks need to go by before he appears...
    edited 18.11.2014
    #5: Exactly elunia (I stick to my case)!! :D

Farmerjohn:

Steve (You know: the fat-slob-car-mechanic-supposed-a.s.o.architect;)) was here November 2. That is why I do expect him back on or around November 23. One can never be sure, but at least we told our members not to initiate any upgrades anymore in week 47.
    edited 18.11.2014
    November 2nd? That was a Sunday! My one day off in the whole week! That scoundrel! I'll catch him one of these days, and when I do.......... :p
  • Lilypaddle (INT1)Lilypaddle (INT1) Posts: 614
    edited 19.11.2014
    The nice thing is you have the option to not open this money pit. GGS is not making you do the island if you don't want to. I did choose to open this money pit because at the end of the day it is farm dollars I am using not real money and I like the challenge of the island.

No one is forcing anyone here to play the island so I don't know why people are complaining about it. I could understand if you were being forced to play it, but you are not. You have a choice.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 106,969
    edited 19.11.2014
    The architect is on my farm today...

I haven't opened the island this time (only played it the first time) because I'm waiting to see/read if it is worth it to even bother growing oranges and/or peanuts with the adjusted prices. I already have the chapter 1 sandcastle and don't really feel the need for the others and would like to save money for my regular farm upgrades.

I have less than a million shells left though, so I may consider it just to stockpile some more.
    edited 19.11.2014
    LOL Guess who just showed up on my farm? You got it! STEVE the ARCHITECT! 8|
  • Pameow (AU1)Pameow (AU1) AU1 Posts: 266
    edited 19.11.2014
    The first island event was fun. I was under the impression the event was to be infrequent, so for it to appear twice more so indecently quickly, seems to me like they mislead us the first time and I deeply regret spending gold on it, it has devalued the product.

I have not opened the island the second or third time. Its not even as if we need many horseshoes. What a remarkable *Pay to Lose* design the company has made. Any player who speeded up training, wrongly assuming some advantage has now wasted their gold, as other players who spent none catch up, before any new horse code release.

It was also strongly implied that there will be other temporary farm events with different themes. My prediction is that there will be a snowy theme temporary farm following this isand event. A shiny new event for the players to get excited about and potentially spend gold on, so that the company may net amazing December profits to show on the books prior to the floatation. Perhaps the currency of such an event might be something to obtain horses bridles, or saddles from the ship? Something different to fiance the horse's next five or so levels of stand-still, boring training until the next cap.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 106,969
    edited 19.11.2014
    I went back and read the teaser announcements and the first island announcement carefully... it was not specifically stated that the island would be "infrequent" (although that's what I thought too), but who would have guessed that instead it would be starting over every. single. month?? (because that wasn't stated either...)

I would think that having to start over again from scratch every 30 days or so would get boring - especially since we've had the same island & same tasks three times now - but I guess it's not boring for some players. It kind of takes away the unique/special feeling of the event though, *IMO*, to have it constantly restarting, but whatever.
  • kbahr007 (US1)kbahr007 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,841
    edited 19.11.2014
    opened the island for production to exchange for seashells
    edited 19.11.2014
    November 2nd? That was a Sunday! My one day off in the whole week! That scoundrel! I'll catch him one of these days, and when I do.......... :p

Hahaha! At least I was right about the week no., Farmerjohn! Happy for you that it is not a Sunday! I already gave him his second chore of the day ;)
  • bustaa (US1)bustaa (US1) Posts: 126
    edited 19.11.2014
    The best way i found to run the island is to just concentrate on having about 5 fields (level 3) and a decent happiness level and just grow and sell the grapes or oranges.. dont run the bar ..
    Then on the boat if you turn the 2 bottom requirement to the lowest setting (the 2 you fill from the greenhouse) you'll be able to sail the ship every time without the waiting time..
  • Lexc13Lexc13 Posts: 18
    edited 19.11.2014
    I don't mind the island farm. It is frustrating how much money it takes up and the first time I wasted a lot of money I could of used to upgrade the 3 main farms, and some gold. Didn't work out well though, not really that high of a level and even the extra gold didn't help me complete tasks. But hey I gave it a shot. Last time around I didn't use any gold and I think I got to the third chapter. This time around I'm going to take it easy on the spending and see how far I can get. I don't mind it, don't get most of the complaining, just one more challenge in game. I don't think I've finished any of the other events either.

Edit by PINJO: removed inappropriate word
  • Pingo42Pingo42 Posts: 537
    edited 19.11.2014
    I love the island and enjoy the challenge of building it up. But I'm at level 110 or so, and my other farms are making good money these days, which makes a huge difference. I wouldn't enjoy the island if I couldn't afford it. Last time I managed to win the Pearl deco with very little gold (only 1 plot of land bought with gold) and I'm hoping to win it again. I'm also enjoying the island theme now that winter has arrived where I live - it feels like a vacation on a tropical island.

So as others have pointed out - the island is optional. Those of us who enjoy it will have fun with it, and those who don't enjoy it don't have to bother with it. And I hope everyone will enjoy working their farms! :)
  • Maryann57 (US1)Maryann57 (US1) Posts: 90
    edited 20.11.2014
    I'm opening the Island Farm. Haven't finished it yet. 2 try's so far. They say 3rd times a charm. I does take a lot of money, but I'm making lot of money and you gotta spend it somewhere. Sure it puts you behind on other upgrades but it's a forever game. Hopefully I'll finish it this time. Happy Farming
  • Gwendolen (US1)Gwendolen (US1) Posts: 1,268
    edited 21.11.2014
    Have opened it again, I like it and am enjoying it.

I have only some things to upgrade on flowers and for the rest Archie projects, so I don't know what to do with my money anyway :p
  • edited 21.11.2014
    I opened the Island Farm as I enjoy doing it, but I still have upgrades to do on my flower. If all I do is collect oranges for the next month on the island farm that is fine, it is something else to do while I wait for harvest to be ready.

I have warned my co-op about the Island Farm, and told them to not to get there hopes up to finish it. I agree it is a money pit, but it is also something else to do once all our other farms are finished.

~Space~
  • edited 03.12.2014
    Please get rid of the Island Farm or make it a permanent feature. It seems to be time consuming with little reward.
  • AphasiaAphasia Posts: 223
    edited 03.12.2014
    70-something level disillusioned farmer. I've been gone for a month. Just popped in to see if the bozos who dreamed up the island had been fired yet for gross incompetence. Apparently not.

The island was the proverbial nail in the coffin for me. The horse ranch was the hammer.
  • edited 04.12.2014
    Aphasia wrote: »
    70-something level disillusioned farmer. I've been gone for a month. Just popped in to see if the bozos who dreamed up the island had been fired yet for gross incompetence. Apparently not.

The island was the proverbial nail in the coffin for me. The horse ranch was the hammer.

Yes. The horse ranch can go bye bye without any complaint from me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file