Home EN Discussion Corner for the official announcements

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Update - July 31st - The island farm!

Comments

• Leafmold (GB1)Leafmold (GB1) Posts: 71
    edited 22.08.2014
    As a member of Friends of the Earth, I do wonder about going into a beautiful and unspoilt island habitat, clearing the native flora and fauna, to set up peanut, grape and other plantations and also to breed peacocks and lemurs for trade abroad. Or am I taking this too seriously??!!
  • snork (INT1)snork (INT1) Posts: 518
    edited 22.08.2014
    Just enjoy the natural forest on occasional visits then. Being eco-conscious will also save you money, stress and ship-load times.
  • Ellenbrock2011GEllenbrock2011G Posts: 5
    edited 23.08.2014
    Do we have to complete all three chapters in order to open the horse ranch? Thanks?(
  • pizza1235pizza1235 Posts: 36
    edited 23.08.2014
    Do we have to complete all three chapters in order to open the horse ranch? Thanks?(

no you do not need to cpmplete the chapters to get the horses
  • Daniel M (AU1)Daniel M (AU1) Posts: 30
    edited 24.08.2014
    I have got a nice balance going in my Island Farm now.:) My biggest issue is that most of my buildings wont be able to be upgraded past level three due to a lack of population. This is after I have 14 fully upgrade normal houses and one fully upgrade gold house.

I am quite disgusted at the deviousness the G.S. team has shown in creating this island farm. To be able to have for instance, the number of Peacock coops and fields required for some of the side quests and then upgrade them fully is only possible to do if you spend lots of gold and invest in gold buildings or decos. This is disgraceful of them to pressure people in to a gold spending position like this when the farm is only temporary.
    My enjoyment of the island has sour enormously after calculating this. I absolutely refuse to invest in buying all gold items until they make it permanent. X(

If anyone thinks I am complaining unjustly, please have a look at my island farm on Australian server and tell me if there is any other way to gain the 76 population I am short on other than wasting gold on gold items. If anyone does have a better way it would be most welcome. :)
  • cookie1212cookie1212 Posts: 2
    edited 24.08.2014
    What a money drain!!!!! And for only a month. I am not putting any more money or time into something I will lose in a month.. Such a rip off!!!!!
  • mrgreenjeansmrgreenjeans Posts: 29
    edited 24.08.2014
    cookie1212 wrote: »
    What a money drain!!!!! And for only a month. I am not putting any more money or time into something I will lose in a month.. Such a rip off!!!!!

I don't understand why people say it's a money drain but only because it lasts for a month. Since it's so expensive the fact that it only lasts a month is a good thing. Why would anyone want to permanently funnel money to the island?
  • snork (INT1)snork (INT1) Posts: 518
    edited 24.08.2014
    I don't understand why people say it's a money drain but only because it lasts for a month. Since it's so expensive the fact that it only lasts a month is a good thing. Why would anyone want to permanently funnel money to the island?

In case you genuinely don't understand: because the buildings, plots of land and upgrades all cost a fortune. The production costs would be the only thing that would go on once all the buildings, upgrades and purchases had been made. You'd not have to funnel money into rebuying and rebuilding them if they were permanent. So you only permanently funnel money into it the way it is now, ie. disappearing.
  • mrgreenjeansmrgreenjeans Posts: 29
    edited 24.08.2014
    Yes, I genuinely don't understand why people would want something to be permanent when it can't sustain itself. Just because you wouldn't have to rebuild everything it's still expensive to produce and upgrade so I'm glad that I'll have a break once it's over. I wouldn't want any event to run non-stop it gets old and tiresome and that's what it is- an event- not a fourth farm.
  • Kitty C.2Kitty C.2 Posts: 18
    edited 24.08.2014
    This...you make me so glad I stopped at the orange fizz task for 50k shells and so sad I went to the island at all. Thank you for sharing your extremely expensive lesson!
    Daniel M3 wrote: »
    I have got a nice balance going in my Island Farm now.:) My biggest issue is that most of my buildings wont be able to be upgraded past level three due to a lack of population. This is after I have 14 fully upgrade normal houses and one fully upgrade gold house.

I am quite disgusted at the deviousness the G.S. team has shown in creating this island farm. To be able to have for instance, the number of Peacock coops and fields required for some of the side quests and then upgrade them fully is only possible to do if you spend lots of gold and invest in gold buildings or decos. This is disgraceful of them to pressure people in to a gold spending position like this when the farm is only temporary.
    My enjoyment of the island has sour enormously after calculating this. I absolutely refuse to invest in buying all gold items until they make it permanent. X(

If anyone thinks I am complaining unjustly, please have a look at my island farm on Australian server and tell me if there is any other way to gain the 76 population I am short on other than wasting gold on gold items. If anyone does have a better way it would be most welcome. :)
  • kbahr007 (US1)kbahr007 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,841
    edited 25.08.2014
    For those of you that complete the island good for you, was the money used really worth it? I think a list of reasons people think this is a waste of money or those that loved it is in order so everyone can understand what the rationale is.
  • RunsWivScissors (GB1)RunsWivScissors (GB1) GB1 Posts: 6,633
    edited 25.08.2014
    kbahr0072 wrote: »
    For those of you that complete the island good for you, was the money used really worth it? I think a list of reasons people think this is a waste of money or those that loved it is in order so everyone can understand what the rationale is.

No one can reallly "complete" the event until we know the final stage - The Horse ranch.
    Clearly the island seems to be an extrememly expensive event with no obvious benefit to our main farms, but until we see what happens in the final stage, it is impossible to say whether it is a huge money pit or the best investment ever.
    It may well be that those people who have spent so many millions on their islands, end up with massive benefits on the horse ranch, that translate back into profits.
    All we can do is play the event the best we can for our own individual circumstances with the limited info that we have this time around.
    Afterall, if you think about it, what sense would it make for GGBF to go to all the time & trouble creating such a huge event, that is going to be repeated over & over, if it was just the money drain that it "appears" to be, because no one would play it the 2nd time it appeared.
    So it stands to reason there will be something in the final stage that is going to make people want to do it again.
  • Instant Ocean (US1)Instant Ocean (US1) US1 Posts: 189
    edited 25.08.2014
    @ Scissors : The only thing we know for sure about the final reward is that last sand palace or castle or whatever they call it.

The island is clearly a money pit and can only be played in a somewhat efficient way, with gold. Otherwise, your running cost will sky rocket and you won't have place for enough decos to compensate. I have spent so far 130M on that Island and I'm only landed at the final task of Book #2. All that for an event that lasts only 1 month and where everything will go to waste once time is up. Like a lot of people, I find the cost to be abusive and also, I do not wish to ever do this event again. But...

GGS planned it well my friends. Everything is tied together. The Horse ranch requires horse shoes and from what I have seen from the Boat, it will require a LOT of them. Just look at how much the boat gives you for fruits grown in the Greenhouse. In order to grow those fruits, you need shells to buy the seeds from the Green Pickup truck... and what do you need to get shells? The Island! So from what I understand so far, anyone that would decide to forfeit the Island will also have to kiss goodbye the Horse Ranch from lack of horse shoes. It's as simple as that.

And is it just me or this game is becoming more and more complex and not that much fun to play? Not to mention the fact that GGS is again implementing schemes to sort of twist our arms to buy gold in order to "make it happen". I'll be honest, at first I thought that the Island was a breath of fresh air. But when I discovered that it costs so much and that the only way you can have a somewhat viable Island is by pouring out lots of gold, I was disgusted... again!

EDIT: Just completed Book 2 and took a peek at what the tasks are on first stage of book#3. It is just insane. I would have to remove decos again to put more houses in order to complete it. So far, final cost of Book 1 & 2 : 140M Needles to say that I will not do book #3 and that this money scam has done more than enough harm. Can you imagine the Telescope I could have gotten with 140M? a +100 or something like that... in 7 days.

Instant Ocean
    edited 25.08.2014
    @ Scissors : The only thing we know for sure about the final reward is that last sand palace or castle or whatever they call it.

Instant Ocean

The sandcastles are just for completing the chapter tasks, they are not the final purpose of the island or the event, which is collecting shells & converting them to horseshoes, to ultimately be used for the Horse Ranch.

For all we know, the more horseshoes you get, the better horse you can get, maybe better feed or a better trainer, maybe there will be horse racing or other events with cash prizes & the people that took a risk & spent millions on the island will win back even more than they spent, because they have a kickass racehorse.

All I am saying is that we don`t know what is in store for us with the horse ranch & until we do, its a bit premature for people to assume they wasted money by spending on the island..... Of course that may turn out to be the case, but for now it doesn`t hurt to be optimistic. ^^
  • Andy128 (RU1)Andy128 (RU1) RU1 Posts: 2,526
    edited 25.08.2014
    The island is clearly a money pit and can only be played in a somewhat efficient way, with gold.

But it really CAN be played without gold. Tomorrow I'll finish chapter 3, and I didn't spend a single gold coin on it.

I don't say that it was easy, but very exciting:

- it took a lot of time for building, demolishing and most important planning
    - I spent a huge amount of dollars, over 150M (not a problem for a high level, and all 3 chapters are only for high levels - it's important to understand)
    - I will not complete all building tasks (for example all my Peacocks and Lemurs are 1 level) - no need and no profit.

But as I see and count sandcastles worth my spendings. And I hope that shells (as an additional reward) will benefit me in future )

What about next island events? It depends on the news about horse ranch, but I know that I can get enough shells with half expansion plots, minimum buildings and only Summer Slush from Bar.

Thanks, GGS )
  • jess_d (US1)jess_d (US1) US1 Posts: 3,515
    edited 25.08.2014
    And is it just me or this game is becoming more and more complex and not that much fun to play? Not to mention the fact that GGS is again implementing schemes to sort of twist our arms to buy gold in order to "make it happen". I'll be honest, at first I thought that the Island was a breath of fresh air. But when I discovered that it costs so much and that the only way you can have a somewhat viable Island is by pouring out lots of gold, I was disgusted... again!

I agree! I was optimistic about the island and thought it was really nice but after dumping millions into it without really getting anywhere I'm not very happy. Now that we're going to have more upgrades on the flower farm its just getting to be too much! This game is starting to feel more like a full time job rather than something fun. The gold pushing is getting too extreme so I've decided I will not purchase anymore gold. I don't plan on playing the island farm again unless it becomes permanent. As far as I'm concerned GGS can keep the ship, island & horses too! I'm not going to let a game stress me out. I will walk away first.
  • Kevin3Farmer2Kevin3Farmer2 Posts: 36
    edited 25.08.2014
    Me too. Fortunately, I never dumped any gold, and less than a million dollars. Now it just sits there. I stopped loading the ship when I noticed it was paying horseshoes instead of usable money.

Way too complicated.

The nice thing is that I can still play, and still contribute to my coop's success without any of that.
    edited 25.08.2014
    Exactly the input i was looking for, I spent about 50 mill and only completed the first sand castle. I have no intention of sinking one more gold coin or dollar into the island farm except for getting rid of buildings and with the exception of what is needed for the greenhouse. There are too many events on the regular farm that i can put my money towards and not waste it on something that goes away in about 10 days.
    edited 25.08.2014
    Volty wrote: »
    But it really CAN be played without gold. Tomorrow I'll finish chapter 3, and I didn't spend a single gold coin on it.

I don't say that it was easy, but very exciting:

- it took a lot of time for building, demolishing and most important planning
    - I spent a huge amount of dollars, over 150M (not a problem for a high level, and all 3 chapters are only for high levels - it's important to understand)
    - I will not complete all building tasks (for example all my Peacocks and Lemurs are 1 level) - no need and no profit.

But as I see and count sandcastles worth my spendings. And I hope that shells (as an additional reward) will benefit me in future )

What about next island events? It depends on the news about horse ranch, but I know that I can get enough shells with half expansion plots, minimum buildings and only Summer Slush from Bar.

Thanks, GGS )

Hey bro,

Not so sure man... You are making a lot of assumptions on the possible gains you will make. Also, although what you say in your intro is totally true (one does not need to complete all the tasks to get through), you do mention that even using that strategy, you have dished out over 150M and you are not even done yet, close, but not done. You also rightfully mention that the amount of money required to make it to the end is strictly reserved for the high level players like you and I. Lower level players have NO hope to get it, unless they take out that VISA and buy with gold... and even then. Does it really make sense to dish out that amount of real money on something you know for a fact will be destroyed and have no clue on the benefits you get in return on your investment. To me, that is bad and risky business.

=========================================

About the Horse race and by doing the Island to the max, you will get a kick ass horse... Well, if that thing is the case, GGS will again favor the gold spenders over the regular players... which seems to be their new gimmick! The more this game evolves, the more it favors the gold spenders and ppl that have a large disposable income and are willing to transfer some of it to Germany. It is quite ironic to read in all the papers all over the world that Germany is sorta imposing an austerity policy that affects all Europe. Maybe GGS and Angela are friends and we are funding their social services? LMAO!

All jokes asides... this game is not turning for the better and if it continues, I foresee a mass movement out of it for another game that will not treat the players like money cows and milk us dry. If only they would be a bit more transparent about it and let us all know WHY we should dish out the $$, whether game or gold. No... they rather surprise us. The less funny part is that most of the time, those surprises please only a fraction of players, if at all.

Enough ranting...

Instant Ocean
    Proud Leader of Funny Times... most probably the smallest co-op to ever make it to rank #15 with only 12 members!!! So eat your heart out all of you detractors of mine... you all know who you are. :)
  • Kitty C.2Kitty C.2 Posts: 18
    edited 25.08.2014
    Besides my frustration at losing a farm I would like to keep (even as the money pit it is now), I keep wondering about this horse ranch and horse shoe thing. The name of the game is Big Farm--not Big Ranch. I was looking to do the farming thing planting crops and raising farm animals--not "horsing around" so to speak. I figure, they'd have done better to make the horse thing a new game for people who'd be interested in that--who knows, even people who don't like the way this is working might have shown an interest if it were a completely separate game.
    edited 26.08.2014
    Kitty C.2 wrote: »
    Besides my frustration at losing a farm I would like to keep (even as the money pit it is now), I keep wondering about this horse ranch and horse shoe thing. The name of the game is Big Farm--not Big Ranch. I was looking to do the farming thing planting crops and raising farm animals--not "horsing around" so to speak. I figure, they'd have done better to make the horse thing a new game for people who'd be interested in that--who knows, even people who don't like the way this is working might have shown an interest if it were a completely separate game.
    Problem is that they are forcing it on us. They never asked us if we wanted a Gourmet or Flower Farm revamp, nor did they ask about books, neither the boat, nor the island and neither the Horse ranch. It boils down to one thing and one thing only... How can GGS manipulate the game and the player base into spending more gold. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.

In the 70's we had the Brady Bunch.... now we have the Greedy Bunch! The future is not always a synonym of improvement... GGS is a living proof. They are just a bunch of greedy, mercantile, money hungry group with only one thing in mind that they try to cover up with what they call "New Features".

Let's just say I'm far from being impressed and also far from buying it.

IO
  • Dara (SKN1)Dara (SKN1) SKN1 Posts: 2,638
    edited 26.08.2014
    Why do you still play this game? If you don't like it? I believe that no one is telling you you must play!
    I don't always like all new things, but i can ignore them. Like the island... just growing oranges...
    So what, i can play this game like i want to. No one us telling me, how i should play.
    ( If they are greedy or not, i can play free, i don't buy gold so they cannot have my money)

But i must say thank you for gold buyers. Without them, maybe we don't have big farm ;)
    edited 26.08.2014
    Problem is that they are forcing it on us. They never asked us if we wanted a Gourmet or Flower Farm revamp, nor did they ask about books, neither the boat, nor the island and neither the Horse ranch. It boils down to one thing and one thing only... How can GGS manipulate the game and the player base into spending more gold. That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.

IO

If only they gave us a forum, where players could voice their opinions and make suggestions! :whistling:
  • edited 26.08.2014
    If only they gave us a forum, where players could voice their opinions and make suggestions! :whistling:
    some of the players great and rational ideas would be implemented into the gamein project 2015 i think ;)
    Dara15 wrote: »
    Why do you still play this game? If you don't like it? I believe that no one is telling you you must play!
    I don't always like all new things, but i can ignore them. Like the island... just growing oranges...
    So what, i can play this game like i want to. No one us telling me, how i should play.
    ( If they are greedy or not, i can play free, i don't buy gold so they cannot have my money)

But i must say thank you for gold buyers. Without them, maybe we don't have big farm ;)
    hahaha :D, i agree with you dara15, without them thisgame would never exsist :D
  • Bambi73Bambi73 Posts: 26
    edited 26.08.2014
    Volty wrote: »
    But it really CAN be played without gold.

I totally agree. I'm not as far as you are Volty (I'm about to complete step 2 of Chapter 3), but I think I might make it. Without gold.
    Yes, it swallowed up a huge amount of farm dollars, but what else was I gonna do with them? When I started on the island I sat on 65 million of them. Every day I donated a few million to my coop (more than we needed for the shrinking list of research projects left). My farms were more or less built up and I was getting bored. REALLY BORED.

The island has been a challenge, but a fun one. Finally I got to figure out again where to put my resources first, what to build, which side tasks to follow --- and which ones to ignore. My strategy was quite different than yours, but I spent about the same amount of money. With it I bought all the land and leveled up most of the fields/orchards/pens/processing facilities. With 14 houses leveled to the max I'm at only -19% happiness, but so what? Now, that the land grab is over I once again generate more cash than I can use.

And now, that I'm about to have big enough a stash of coconuts to complete the upcoming main tasks I can look at which things to keep, which ones to take down and concentrate on a cash out strategy.

I can imagine that it has been frustrating for lower level players to realize that they will not be able to complete all three chapters. But durn, neither can they expect to be producing fruit cake or honey cream right away. I know I didn't. In my opinion bf is all about developing a strategy that fits your needs, your level and your style. With or without gold it can be loads of fun.
  • Kaiowas (NL1)Kaiowas (NL1) Posts: 153
    edited 26.08.2014
    I really doubt that the barbiepony would return huge amounts of dollars. Since the only ppl who are able to score a lot of shells allready have huge amounts of cash they don't really need.....

PS: I tore down my Island but I liked the idea of chapters in it
    edited 27.08.2014
    The island farm will be played by me in the future when and if my main farm, gourmet, and flower far reach their max . At that time i will be starting to accumulate money i do not need. Even right now i keep around 10 milll on hand and gradually am upgrading my flower and gourmet farm
  • Pameow (AU1)Pameow (AU1) AU1 Posts: 266
    edited 27.08.2014
    Dara15 wrote: »

Why is it that there is always a post like this one when players express their annoyances about the directions the game is taking?

I continue to play because I have placed an enormous time investment, and real money investment into Big Farm. But rest assured, if they deviate too much more, I will take my time and real money elsewhere. If there is a critical mass who leave your question would become something like, "Why won't you please stay?"
    edited 29.08.2014
    Thing is i agree with dara, she does have a right to make a very valid point, everything she said. Without gold players the game would not exist. And if the players stopped buying gold GGS would have to shut down BIG FARM due to lack of income.
  • wannago (INT1)wannago (INT1) INT1 Posts: 79
    edited 29.08.2014
    Hi all. This is my 1st post. I have just started to slowly demolish some items on the island farm that I do not need anymore. I am on the last task of Chapter 3, I will finish this before the time is up on the island. I have decided not to do the side tasks as they are too expensive and I don't need to do them to complete the Chapter. Here is what I have demolished so far and the amount of shells you get:

Field - level 3 - 1050 shells
    Field - level 4 - 5100 shells
    Fancy House - level 2 - 1200 shells
    Banana Orchard - level 2 - 1050 shells
    Coconut Orchard - level 3 - 2100 shells

I hope this helps.

BTW, I really liked doing the Island Farm. It was really expensive and I did use gold but worth it in the end. My other 3 farms don't take up that much time anymore so having another farm that you get to build up from scratch was a lot of fun. I was lucky to have the money it needed. I will definitely do it again next time. Now I am really looking forward to the horses.

Cheers!
Sign In to comment.