Home EN The Chicken Coop

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Haiku : Thoughtful unexpected touch. Please post ur haiku here. 25 million of ém would be great!

Uncle WillyUncle Willy Posts: 261
edited 25.01.2015 in The Chicken Coop
Just like poker, haiku is easy to learn and takes a lifetime to master.
A haiku is an unrhymed, three - line poem. Though there are different ways to write haiku, the traditional pattern in English is to write the first and last lines with five syllables each and the middle line with seven syllables. In other words the pattern of syllables looks like this:
Line one: 1 2 3 4 5
Line two: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Line three: 1 2 3 4 5
Most often haiku poems are about seasons or nature, here you can write your haiku about anything you like. Two more things to keep in mind are that the haiku is centered on the page and the last line of a haiku usually makes an observation. That is, the third line points out something about the subject you are writing about.
3 anonymous examples, first haiku about, School, homework and dogs:
My homework is late
My dog ate it this morning
I sure like my dog
Seasons:
Winter is coming
Snow will be arriving soon
We should rake the leaves

If you count the syllables on your fingers as you read these poems, you will see that the lines have five syllables, seven syllables and five syllables.
And here's another subtle hint to GGS from the - We want cats on our Big Farms file.
See two examples from me in the poems threads: Big Farm Cats and Big Farm Bats :)
(Always try to be modest, and be proud of it! lol toot toot)

Tired cat sleeps all day
He needs lots of rest for a
Long day of napping

I really hope all 25 million of you Big Farmers use your wonderfully creative minds and 25 million of your funny or thoughtful or unexpected or sporty or animal haiku get posted here, or post someone Else's that you like (Don't forget to credit the original author) and we can make 25 million people smile.

I intend to live forever - so far so good
Thank you for posting your haiku here.
Uncle Willy
Post edited by Uncle Willy on

Comments

• Uncle WillyUncle Willy Posts: 261
    edited 28.04.2014
    Puffy soft cuddle
    Thoughtful unexpected touch
    Sandpaper tongue licks
    U.K.Wilson, March/2014
    edited 28.04.2014
    The rule for today
    Touch my tail I shred your hand
    New rule tomorrow

Anon.
    edited 28.04.2014
    Life suddenly deepens
    and all the universe is present
    at the lighting of a candle
    R. H. Blyth
  • SoapieSoapie Posts: 57
    edited 28.04.2014
    So, apparently, today is National Blueberry Pie day... so here's a haiku about Blueberry Pie

Cooling on the rack
    a homemade blueberry pie
    waiting to be sliced

by Larry Bullock (I don't know who he is)
  • Uncle Willy (AU1)Uncle Willy (AU1) AU1 Posts: 74
    edited 29.04.2014
    Nice Find Soapie, I can almost taste that blueberry pie. While it's cooling I'll make some more ice cream.

Today April 29th is:
    International Dance Day
    World Wish Day
    National Zipper Day
    National Day Without Shoes Day
    Japan National Showa Day

This Haiku comes from our digital sailing Friend, Behan S/V Totem and www.sailingtotem.com
    She wrote it about keeping in touch with people while circumnavigating the world but, I think it works very well for our Big Farm World also. Does anyone else think so to?
    Meeting friends you KNOW
    Just haven't seen face to face
    To reach out and touch

Thank you Behan :thumbup:

Pivot lines, like the second line in this poem by Martin Lucus, are a wonderful way to double the meaning of your haiku.
    Willow branches bend
    with the river current
    ducks drift backwards
    Thank you Martin 8o
    edited 29.04.2014
    Uncle Willy, I'd love to shake your hand, but that puffer fish, now- I wouldn't want to shake his hand!!
    edited 30.04.2014
    Hahaha That's my Happy Puffer and he WANTS to contribute, like our co-op members :thumbsup: and just like the beef at the Restaurant at the end of the Universe. Don't forget your towel.;)
    In the right Fugu Chefs hands he will be delicious.
    edited 30.04.2014
    Imagine there's no
    Heaven it's easy if you
    Try no hell below
    - John Lennon

Some haiku make me cry
    Bless you John
  • YBGYBG Posts: 10
    edited 30.04.2014
    Behold the puffer
    Staring at me creepily
    At lest its smiling
  • YBGYBG Posts: 10
    edited 30.04.2014
    Beware the haiku
    Thats posted well past midnight
    Fore I am tired
  • siam22siam22 Posts: 78
    edited 30.04.2014
    PSP is very cool8)
    Everyone gets addicted in it
    Everyone forgets everything:!:
    edited 30.04.2014
    Sadia, your poetry is beautiful!!
    edited 01.05.2014
    Thank you YBG and Siam for your Haiku, very nice. Sadia thank you very much for your 6 wonderful haiku, wow. Please help us out Sadia, give us time to digest your beautiful work, try to limit your haiku posts to one or two a day. When the creative fire ignites and you feel like posting multiple poems (I know the feeling) post them all in one post. Please don't let my suggestions douse your fire. You are good and we look forward to more of your work :thumbsup:
    Update: Oh dear, Sadia tsk tsk, not nice to fool UW. Guess that's strike 2. Thank you Kat :love:

Tips: Write about common everyday events. Choose events that give you a moment of understanding and realization about the truth of things around you - But Don't Explain Them.
    Create an emotional response in the reader by presenting what caused your emotion rather than the emotion itself. Write from personal experience and memories, rather than from imagination to produce haiku that are authentic and believable.
    To make your haiku more immediate, write in the present tense.

The 5,7,5 pattern is not a strict rule, sometimes it's better to just say what you need to create the mood you want, and not worry about form.
    In the moonlight a worm
    silently
    drills through a chestnut
    Master Basho, 1644 - 1694
  • Kat Nip (GB1)Kat Nip (GB1) GB1 Posts: 3,796
    edited 01.05.2014
    Soapie wrote: »
    Sadia, your poetry is beautiful!!
    Yes, those were beautiful, however unfortunately, Sadia didn't write them, someone else did. Since the authors weren't credited, I've removed them as it breaks the forum rules.

Kat. Kittie_by_otomosc.gif
    edited 01.05.2014
    The two image haiku:
    Some haiku are a single image, Basho says, "like gold beaten to its utmost thinness". Very rarely a haiku has 3 images. The majority of good haiku have two images separated by the cut. Two of the lines resonate with each other to create a mood, atmosphere or image. Try not to use link-words like, but and because and like. Let the reader make the link, and thus to "step inside" the haiku, sharing it, in some sense, with the author. One image is not a comment on the other or a summery of it. The two half's should complement each other in mysterious ways, not obvious ones. Like this good haiku by Maggie West:
    Shelling peas
    Hard rain falling
    On the chimney cowling
    What is the mysterious sympathy between the two images? Is it that peas and raindrops, though seemingly unrelated, are small and numerous? or is it just the cosy domesticity of preparing food when it's raining outside?

Violence rarely, if not never has a place in haiku. This poem may be skirting the edges. My SuperCat drags home BBQ's and Cars but my other cat who is not eating Super premium cat food often brings me presents too. I did tone it down by saying DRAG instead of EAT a baby bird. So we must accept Mother Nature. Remember the only one who stands a chance fighting Mother Nature is Lady Luck.

Inspired by my other #1 muse, Kat Nip :love:.
    Happy today Sun
    Lovely kitty cuddle
    Drag a baby bird
    K.Wilson, May/2014

UPDATE: :!::!::!: THE GREAT KAT NIP CHALLENGE :!::!::!:

Normally I would not like to say kitty. I would like the reader to just know what the haiku is about without my saying kitty or cat, like the second and third posts in this thread, but in Art (Yes, even in Limericks Siam22 :)) there's always exceptions.
    The middle line in the above haiku is a direct, word for word quote from one of Kat Nips posts, and no, she did not know I was going to do this contest (silly me) and there is another subtle hint to which of Kat Nips posts it is, in the Haiku. The last line is my subtle way of saying Thank You to Kat Nip :love: for all her hard work and for the sometimes difficult decisions and actions she must make keeping this HUGE gaggle of Big Farmers in line. So... I think Big Farmers like challenges with rewards. First one to find Kat Nips inspirational post may find the Biggest Big Farm Sparkling Reward on their Big Farm. Of course ya gotta post an original haiku with your answer for it to count. ANY random entry or maybe ALL entries might receive a Good Reward and Karma.
    edited 01.05.2014
    Kat Nip2 wrote: »
    Yes, those were beautiful, however unfortunately, Sadia didn't write them, someone else did. Since the authors weren't credited, I've removed them as it breaks the forum rules.

Kat. Kittie_by_otomosc.gif

Party Pooper! No, just kidding. You're doing your job.

So sorry to see those go, wish she had given the credit where it was due!
    edited 01.05.2014
    Uncle Willy, If all the world is a stage, then those of us on stage are also the audience. Just because some of us stand behind the curtain or are up in the rigging, or are performing ACT 2 does not mean we don't enjoy the show! Just something to tickle your thoughts...

If the world, a stage
    Performers the audience
    As well, enjoy the show
    edited 03.05.2014
    Soapie wrote: »

If the world, a stage
    Performers the audience
    As well, enjoy the show

Fantastic. I LOVE IT ! Good work Soapie !

I have one small suggestion for your good haiku. Punctuation is rarely used in Haiku. I would suggest removing the comas, it may give your good haiku a more immediate impact. :)

Here is a poem I wrote for DreamBig10's thread: Show your Poems. You may not have seen it.
    It's also my sneaky way of pointing out some of many things that make a good haiku. I enjoyed writing this poem and I hope you enjoy reading it.
    Inner life of the world of things
    not the self that sees
    but the things which are seen

A great test for the poet
    what we most wish to say
    is usually just which
    escapes
    words
    State of mind weakened
    with immediate insight
    What is believed dis-jointed
    suddenly unites

Things are as they are
    Gathers colour and mood
    new insight arises
    The stuff of Haiku

K. Wilson, April/2014
    edited 03.05.2014
    Thanks for the advice on punctuation in haiku. I'm a bit of a grammatically correct obsessive/compulsive, you could say. I'll learn how to NOT punctuate though in my haiku!

And I promise my next post will have a haiku!

Nice poem as well. I will come back and read it when I have more time to digest it.
    edited 05.05.2014
    Thank you Soapie, May the Forth be with You !

I was kidding about the " No two posts in a row with out a poem rule" :) perhaps we should have one, lol JK.
    No tip is not cool
    Some people do not pay right
    I am sad this Forth
    K. Wilson, May-2014
  • dreambig102dreambig102 Posts: 345
    edited 05.05.2014
    Great job oh and thanks for mentioning my thread
    edited 05.05.2014
    Hello again and thank you DreamBig10. We are still hoping you make the right co-op decision and also thx for the inspiration to change our co-op overview a little bit. Check it out. Hey! Where's your poem or haiku? We KNOW YOU can do it. So how about getting back there to your post and editing in one of yours :thumbup: Thank you

Yesterday I was having a pleasant chat with Arzie3 about him possibly joining our New Happy little co-op and as our PMs degenerated to May The Forth. I got a great chuckle from his "terrible ChewBacca impression"(His words). It was so terrible and funny that it inspired me. So I sent a nice prank to his Big Farm and this poem.....

Coming Soon.......
    Cue: Deep Rumbling Voice

IN A WORLD with electric farms
    and Pix-elated people
    Where no one eats or pees
    A pleasant prank for your piggys
    That is sure to please
    Karma, fun and profit
    I really like these

K. Wilson May/2014

Gosh, golly, gee wiz, I sure am luving all the Big Farmers I am meeting here in our electric world, when I got home from work at 3:33am, one of MY cow sheds was sparkling away. Arzie3 had pranked me ! 8o 8o 8o 8o Gotta Luv It !

And Coming soon to your Big Farm....
    If you or yours post an original poem or haiku here, one sunny afternoon soon there after you may find a pleasant, sparkling, profitable and Karma filled surprise on YOUR BIG FARM :thumbsup:

:love:
  • kaydidit (US1)kaydidit (US1) Posts: 36
    edited 05.05.2014
    Sunshine through my door
    falling upon the oak floor
    makes each one happy

kaydidit
    edited 06.05.2014
    kaydidit2 wrote: »
    Sunshine through my door
    falling upon the oak floor
    makes each one happy

kaydidit

Hi kaydidit, Thank you. Wonderful Haiku. Great imagery and mood. I can see
    the sunshine thru the door and feel the warm Oak floor on my bare feet,
    or maybe bare butt :)
    OH MY..... Why is that huge high level Cow Shed of yours suddenly Sparkly. I guess someone out there really likes you and is Very Happy :thumbsup:
    Perhaps Happy Puffer did it?
    edited 06.05.2014
    That line is a quote from one of Kat Nips posts and there is another hint to where it is in the haiku. So... I think Big Farmers like challenges with rewards. First one to find Kat Nips inspirational post may find a sparkling reward on their Big Farm. Of course ya gotta post an original haiku with your answer for it to count.

I can't find it... been searching... ;(

But to keep my word, I'll post a haiku...

Grey and ominous
    When will the torrent cut loose
    An impending storm

Written by me, about my view of the sky from my window, or maybe my heart...
    edited 09.05.2014
    I got back this afternoon from a beautiful sunny 3 day adventure up the Pacific Coast to be greeted by Grey and Ominous Sky's :D. Good haiku Soapie, and you have a wonderful heart :love:

I was thinking about giving another hint for: :!: THE GREAT KAT NIP CHALLENGE :!:
    Then I remembered the virtue of patience and in reverence to Big Farm Island Time I will de-bug the hint a bit more before posting it.

I had a brief moment from my travels that stuck in my mind I'd like to share.
    Sunny Salish Sea
    Orca's bent fin cuts a wake
    So happy today
    edited 10.05.2014
    I'm jealous you got to see one!! Went to Orca's island on the ferry but didn't see any waterlife....
  • FarmerAliRoxFarmerAliRox Posts: 52
    edited 10.05.2014
    hmmm hope Ive got this right

new to the forum
    everyone is so friendly
    I would like to stay
    edited 11.05.2014
    Thank you FarmerAliRox, Yes, You sure did get it right. Anything that makes me smile is RIGHT in my books. :thumbup:
    Cheers Ali Rocks all night and Happy Stay Up All Night Night its Tonight ! Really no kidding, look it up.
    Click the pic for larger view Attachment not found.

Attachment not found. Attachment not found. Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.
    edited 11.05.2014
    hmmm hope Ive got this right

new to the forum
    everyone is so friendly
    I would like to stay

I love it!!! You have so skillfully captured the essence of our online farming community!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file