Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Fertile Fields .. Worth the Gold cost?

hemi692hemi692 Posts: 5
So ... as far as i can see, the only advantage the Fertile Fields offer is a smaller footprint ... 6x4 vs 8x6 ..crop yields all the same, costs the same, times the same, number of workers seems to be the same ..

so how much do these things cost after the 350 gold level 1 build? trying to see if these are even a remote possibility for a minimal gold user like myself.:S

Thanks in advance
Hemi
Post edited by hemi692 on

Comments

• ezio auditore3ezio auditore3 Posts: 2,399
    edited 27.02.2014
    It's worth it if you want to save space for other things when you're either out of land or you can't afford it. It also helps because then you can place more of those fields in the same space as a regular field which can double your crops :)
  • Goodfella4Goodfella4 Posts: 432
    edited 27.02.2014
    Yup... Somebody failed to inform the minimal gold user who started the thread that those fully upgraded fertile fields cost about 25 bucks a piece. If space on your farm is that important and you have the 25,000 gold (each field) go for the fertile fields. Im not positive that they are an essential item for the minimal gold user, though.

Enjoy
  • monica79538monica79538 Posts: 1,932
    edited 27.02.2014
    i am thinking about adding ONE of those fields eventually, but not sure how much i want to invest in upgrades for it. I am in no rush though.
  • Goodfella4Goodfella4 Posts: 432
    edited 27.02.2014
    Whoops, sorry. Each fertile field requires around 50,000 gold total to fully upgrade.
  • MacSoxMacSox Posts: 6
    edited 27.02.2014
    I bought 1 fertile & don't plan to upgrade it. It was soooo worth it to me; I have 4 regular fields but could never seem to keep my barns full. Now they are full all the time & I have max feed as well. I can't believe what a difference that 1 little field made & it fit in easily just by moving a few things over abit.
  • rhon (GB1)rhon (GB1) Guest, GB1 Posts: 1,542
    edited 27.02.2014
    Two level 1 Fertile Fields produce more crop than a level 7 std field for 2 less people, in the same space

Is it worth it? Well its a strategy decision only you can make. But by demolishing level 7 fields (and that hurt) I have released enough space and workers to add another Apple Orchard, with workers, and freed enough extra workers to upgrade my Mill another level

That worked for me, but it depends on what you want to do and achieve
  • short79short79 Posts: 174
    edited 12.03.2014
    Goodfella4 wrote: »
    Whoops, sorry. Each fertile field requires around 50,000 gold total to fully upgrade.

How do you figure? I can't seem to find the prices for upgrades on the fertile field. Point me in the right direction?
  • rhon (GB1)rhon (GB1) Guest, GB1 Posts: 1,542
    edited 12.03.2014
    short79 wrote: »
    How do you figure? I can't seem to find the prices for upgrades on the fertile field. Point me in the right direction?
    Whitefin's spreadsheet here has the upgrade cost of everything, including the fertile fields.

From that spreadsheet the cost of the fertile fields, in gold
    Level 1 - 350
    Level 2 - 1,250
    Level 3 - 2,600
    Level 4 - 5,900
    Level 5 - 9,750
    Level 6 - 13.600
    Level 7 - 19.300
  • rie222rie222 Posts: 1,074
    edited 13.03.2014
    i did what samty recommended. thanks samty for the great recommendation btw. love the suggestion! After your done with your task to upgrade a field to level 5 and you have the gold to do this, i recommend to do what samty says. I demolished my 4 level 6 fields (i was actually waiting for architech to upgrade to 7) and i bought 8 fertile gold fields in its place. most upper levels in my coop have done the same. You get more crops for 2 fertile fields than 1 level 7 full size field so it makes sense except when planting wheat. So you may want to upgrade those gold fields to level 2 if you have the gold. If not most i know are happy enough with the level 1, i am i have enough wheat. For the projects though you may want the level 2. For me personally it is not worth upgrading all the fields. Again Samty thanks for the info.!
  • Rusty Farmer (AU1)Rusty Farmer (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,705
    edited 13.03.2014
    Question: Do you still need the architect for level 7?
  • Penfold (GB1)Penfold (GB1) GB1 Posts: 252
    edited 13.03.2014
    Hi Rusty - yes, you do need him for level 7
  • edited 13.03.2014
    Samty wrote: »
    Two level 1 Fertile Fields produce more crop than a level 7 std field for 2 less people, in the same space

Is it worth it? Well its a strategy decision only you can make. But by demolishing level 7 fields (and that hurt) I have released enough space and workers to add another Apple Orchard, with workers, and freed enough extra workers to upgrade my Mill another level

That worked for me, but it depends on what you want to do and achieve

Great comment Samty.

Just a little precision on field productions:

1 normal field lvl 7:
    wild flowers: 21
    corn: 21
    cabbage: 65
    wheat: 120

2 fertile fields lvl 1:
    wild flowers: 2x15=30
    corn: 2x15=30
    cabbage: 2x40=80
    wheat: 2x40=80
  • ShirlAnn (US1)ShirlAnn (US1) Posts: 11
    edited 18.03.2014
    I was very disappointed in the amount of gold I spent on the one fertile field I bought and upgraded. You have to buy two fertile fields to get more crops.

Will I do another one? Maybe. Will I do more than that? Probably not.
  • plimabelashplimabelash Posts: 1
    edited 18.03.2014
    I thinks its worth it to go for level 1. 4 fields of level 1 (350 x 4 = 1400 gold) definitely can produce more compared to 5 fields of Level 7. For beginners, the gold earned from game alone is best spent on and will be enough for Water Tower Level 1 and 4 Level 1 fields.
  • montuosmontuos Posts: 1,275
    edited 18.03.2014
    ShirlAnn wrote: »
    You have to buy two fertile fields to get more crops.

The point of fertile fields is to get more space, not more crops. In the space you'd save by having 6 fertile fields instead of 6 regular fields, you could build 6 enchanted trees and 2 mysterious relics for an additional +230 happiness. Or if you tetris it well, even just 4 fertile instead of regular still gives you enough squares for 4 enchanted trees and a big tree for +153.

Or, as Artorius Castus points out, if you look at it more as having twice the field in the same space, 2 fertile fields do give more wild flowers, corn, and cabbage than 1 regular field. However, that strategy also requires twice the houses and therefore a lot more space for decorations.

Since I personally am perennially short on wheat in addition to gold, I probably won't invest in fertile fields myself even if I do ever save up enough gold, though.
    edited 18.03.2014
    For me as well as other members in my coop it helps with our projects to have the fertile gold fields. The only one that is the kicker is the wheat but having the fields at level 2 gets us right where we need it. So really it may be that it was developed to give more space but again players found a stratedgy outside its orginal use. I say way to go ...
  • susy9susy9 Posts: 6
    edited 18.03.2014
    I disagree with samty. What are we talking about?? those fields are nothing more but gold burners! Unless you don't mind spend 19300 gold to complete update of only one( sic!) field. In fact they do take up less space , which after another wonderful(NOT) update is more valuable than ever. Well, another mistermind plan from GGS :(
    example here
    1 fertile field level1 -40 cabbage _ 1 regular field level 3 -49 cabbage with added hummus - 74cabbage
    1 regular field level 5 - 56 cabbage with added hummus -84cabbage
    edited 18.03.2014
    susy 2 fields in place at level 1. not 1 field and do not upgrade it. That is what is being said. You can get more with 2 fertile fields not 1, except for wheat. I am not sure about the totals on the special seeds I will have to check those numbers and come back. You can upgrade it to level 1 but I wouldn't go further than upgrading it further than that. If you upgrade it to level 1 you will get more wheat as well. I think the downside to the special seeds is that you burn down the seeds. I do not mind though I have lots of those. I save them up. It is a personal choice. This helps me a lot in projects/events. If it doesn't work for you then it doesn't. I really appreciate Samty giving this option out to all of us. Many use it in my coop. Either choose to use it or don't, its up to you.
    edited 18.03.2014
    montuos wrote: »
    Or, as Artorius Castus points out, if you look at it more as having twice the field in the same space, 2 fertile fields do give more wild flowers, corn, and cabbage than 1 regular field. However, that strategy also requires twice the houses and therefore a lot more space for decorations.

Someone PM'd to remind me that 2 level 1 fertile fields require the same number of workers as 1 level 7 field, and that's fine if you plan to leave your fertile fields at level 1. However, I believe my point remains for anyone who does plan to upgrade and fully embrace the strategy of "twice the field in the same space".
  • gizmo22 (AU1)gizmo22 (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,720
    edited 19.03.2014
    I think its a good investment if you want to save space on your farm. What I did personally was demolish 3 regular fields and added 4 fertile fields but I wont be upgrading them. The 4 level 1 fields combined with my remaining regular fields give me a similar output on most items except for wheat but its also given me a bit of extra space.
  • brutane (US1)brutane (US1) US1 Posts: 52
    edited 19.03.2014
    These are some great strategy ideas. Thanks for pointing them out for everyone to read. I was wondering what are the amount of crops based upon the special seeds for lvl 1 fertile fields compared to regular field at lvl 7?
  • Pepper Moon (IN1)Pepper Moon (IN1) Posts: 6,684
    edited 19.03.2014
    brutane wrote: »
    I was wondering what are the amount of crops based upon the special seeds for lvl 1 fertile fields compared to regular field at lvl 7?

Regular field Level 7 - special seeds amount

Special wheat - 52
    Special wild flower - 370
    Special corns - ?
    Special cabbage - ?

Fertile field Level 1 - special seeds amount

Special wheat - 28
    Special wild flower - 250
    Special corns - ?
    Special cabbage - ?
  • EricaJ (US1)EricaJ (US1) Posts: 202
    edited 19.03.2014
    Great comment Samty.

Just a little precision on field productions:

1 normal field lvl 7:
    wild flowers: 21
    corn: 21
    cabbage: 65
    wheat: 120

2 fertile fields lvl 1:
    wild flowers: 2x15=30
    corn: 2x15=30
    cabbage: 2x40=80
    wheat: 2x40=80

Great info - but do bear in mind that the seed and operating costs are also doubled, since you are planting 2 fields instead of one.

It may be an especially pertinent consideration for those who rely heavily on special seeds, as you would need twice as many of them to plant twice as many fields.
    brutane wrote: »
    I was wondering what are the amount of crops based upon the special seeds for lvl 1 fertile fields compared to regular field at lvl 7?

That information is available from the info button (the i in a blue circle) on the build menu, then select the 'Product information' tab.

Here it is:

L1
    Special wildflowers: 250
    Special corn: 200
    Special cabbage: 240
    Special wheat: 14

L7
    Special wildflowers: 370
    Special corn: 290
    Special cabbage: 400
    Special wheat: 38

Level for level, production from fertile fields is identical to that from regular fields.
  • ShirlAnn (US1)ShirlAnn (US1) Posts: 11
    edited 19.03.2014
    montuos wrote: »
    The point of fertile fields is to get more space, not more crops.

In the builders tab, the very definition of the fertile fields says, " Fertile fields grow abundant quantities of crops which are needed for processing later on."

It does not say it's to save space and it does not say you need two of the fertile fields to obtain the "abundant quantities" of crops.

I'm just saying, for me, since I do not buy gold often, I was very disappointed that, according to the very description of a fertile field, it is not what I got.
    edited 19.03.2014
    EDIT: LOL, duplicate info here because I didn't refresh the page before posting...

ShirlAnn, yes, I do see your point, and that's why I compare details very carefully rather than going by only the description before buying anything that requires gold. It's the same thing with special seeds; so many people simply assume that all the special seeds produce larger crops, rather than realizing the truth that the point is different growth rates for more efficient time management, and then freak out at the low amount of wheat per crop.

Special wheat - 52
    Special corns - ?
    Special cabbage - ?

Special wheat - 28
    Special wild flower - 250
    Special corns - ?
    Special cabbage - ?

Er, I see different base amounts for wheat in the product info; do you have a wheat book affecting yours, Prince Manish? I'm also including the amounts for rice, just because I still see it.

Special wheat - 38
    Special corn - 290
    Special cabbage - 400
    Rice - 300

Special wheat - 14 (28 for 2 fertile fields)
    Special wild flower - 250 (500 for 2 fertile fields)
    Special corn - 200 (400 for 2 fertile fields)
    Special cabbage - 240 (480 for 2 fertile fields)
    Rice - 180 (360 for 2 fertile fields)
  • gizmo22 (AU1)gizmo22 (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,720
    edited 19.03.2014
    Yes you also have to take library books into account with these calculations. I tend to agree that fertile fields is more about space than production. Its the main reason I put them on my main farm.
  • edited 09.04.2014
    Samty wrote: »
    Whitefin's spreadsheet here has the upgrade cost of everything, including the fertile fields.

From that spreadsheet the cost of the fertile fields, in gold
    Level 1 - 350
    Level 2 - 1,250
    Level 3 - 2,600
    Level 4 - 5,900
    Level 5 - 9,750
    Level 6 - 13.600
    Level 7 - 19.300

Do you have an updated spreadsheet with the new Gourmet Farm?
    edited 09.04.2014
    WhiteFin hasn't updated the spreadsheet yet, but the new gourmet prices people have submitted to the thread start here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file