Home EN General Discussions & Questions Tutorials and FAQs

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Happiness per square, and why you should care

montuosmontuos Posts: 1,275
edited 02.12.2014 in Tutorials and FAQs
By now you have probably discovered that increasing happiness by building more decorations lowers your running costs so you get higher profits. You have probably also discovered that simply adding more nice, cheap $400 flowerbeds just doesn't offset all the negative happiness you get from building and upgrading more and more houses anymore; you have simply run out of room to build.

The problem is that upgrading houses concentrates the negative happiness: you get almost as much additional negative happiness when you upgrade a house as for building a new house, but you only get half as many new workers. The solution is to concentrate your positive happiness as well — to get the most happiness into the smallest amount of space.

To concentrate your happiness, you need to replace your flowerbeds with higher-value decorations, but how do you decide which ones are best? It's easy to see that the big ornamental tree (+21) is more valuable than a flowerbed (+12) because it has almost twice as much happiness in the same amount of space, or that a fountain (+18 ) is more valuable than a well (+18 ) because it's smaller.

It's not quite so obvious whether a wooden wagon (+27) or a cozy picnic area (+26) is more valuable, though. If you had a big enough open space of the right size and shape so that you could fill it up with either wagons or cozy picnics and have no space left over, you could compare the amount of happiness you got for each one and know which was better.

You can do that indirectly with math, though. The area of your 7x3 wagon is 21 squares, and the area of your 5x4 cozy picnic is 20 squares. If you divide the happiness of each decoration by its area, you get how much happiness each square gives you; that is the happiness per square. When you calculate that, you can see that the +26 cozy picnic is actually better in the long run than the +27 wagon, because it has a higher happiness per square.

Or to demonstrate happiness per square in a slightly different way, in a 20x20 area (4 farm plots) you can have 25 flowerbeds (+12) for 300 happiness, or you can have 19.04 wagons (+27) for 514.28 happiness, or you can have 20 cozy picnics (+26) for 520 happiness, or you can have 16 lakes (+38 happiness) for 608 happiness. Which total happiness would you rather have?

If you don't want to do all the math yourself, you can refer to this spreadsheet (maintained by ss0209, I believe).

Recommended reading:
Post edited by montuos on

Comments

• LALABELLALALABELLA Posts: 1
    edited 12.01.2014
    My ornamental tree is only +13 happiness.
  • FarmerTess (AU1)FarmerTess (AU1) Posts: 2,393
    edited 12.01.2014
    LALABELLA, everyones ornamental tree is 13 happiness. So all is good with that, the Big ornamental tree is 21 happiness. :)
  • rhon (GB1)rhon (GB1) Guest, GB1 Posts: 1,542
    edited 12.01.2014
    LALABELLA, the Ornamental Tree is indeed +13 happiness. montuos refers to the Big Ornamental Tree which is +21 happiness as she says

oops. far too slow, comment now redundant :)
  • minadequate2minadequate2 Posts: 93
    edited 17.01.2014
    Also the event decorations are almost always best value for money.... I also never buy decorations with less than 1 happiness per small square ie 4x4 = 16, 5x5 = 25 but once you get to the point where money is not an issue its never worth getting anything but the best.

Also stock up on the 4X3 decoration during the space event.. as its the only non gold 4x3 so build and store if you dont need it as a filler straight away as you will always want more down the line to fill the annoying little gaps.
  • edited 18.01.2014
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I now run my farm without any decos at all on +300% cost... It allows me many more production buildings/fields. Mind you, I made sure I finished all of the side quests on the main farm aside from the three generic recurring ones so that I didn't miss out on any XP before getting rid of the decos.
  • montuosmontuos Posts: 1,275
    edited 19.01.2014
    That's definitely an interesting concept, Undertaker13. Keeping happiness high is much more important at lower levels where the profit margin is so much less, so I definitely wouldn't recommend that course until a player is well advanced.

What sort of income are you getting that way? Do you have any advice on about where the break even point would be to consider switching over to decorationless mode?
  • Larino (INT1)Larino (INT1) Posts: 4,572
    edited 19.01.2014
    One of our members also did that. He had enough profit from his gourmet and flower farm that he could run his main farm on +300% running costs, planted it completely full with production buildings and still make so much profit that he could pay for all of our researches alone (filling the co-op's account up to 30M every time we spent something) XD Unfortunately he left the game because he had no more personal tasks left :( We greatly miss him...
  • edited 20.01.2014
    Montuos, you're right... no good to do it until you're very advanced on all 3 farms. Also, need to have all the main farm tasks (especially the deco ones) done, or you will miss out on XP by not completing them. Not sure about how much profit at the moment, as I'm still converting my farm (takes ages to do unless you skip production). This isn't for everyone but it can be good if you plan it correctly.
  • Pietral (US1)Pietral (US1) US1 Posts: 163
    edited 20.01.2014
    No matter how I look at the numbers, no decorations doesn't seem to be efficient enough. By my reckoning, the profit margin on all buildings except the chicken coop drops by 50-70%, so I would need to double the # of buildings just to break even. But if that were to happen, I don't think the windmill could keep up. Also (and this is just for my farm) my decoration space < field/stable/orchard space, so I couldn't even double all of that if I wanted.

I'm also interested to see what your before/after # of fields/stables/orchards are.
  • edited 20.01.2014
    Before (at -100% cost): 6 fields, 4 apples, 1 cherry, 4 cows, 3 pigs, 6 chicken (from memory, not sure about chicken, may have been 7 but I don't think so.)
    When I'm finished (at +300% cost): 8 fields, 10 apples, 2 cherries, 7 cows, 4 pigs, 12 chickens. (I believe it will be that, +/- 1 apple or cow, as this depends upon how many workers I need and also what space I will have left after getting another house or not getting it.)

Therefore, you're dead right: It won't be double the production of everything. Yes, the cost increases and the profit margin decreases accordingly, as you have said. Like I said, this is not for everyone.
    edited 20.01.2014
    Pietral, you'd definitely need the level 6 mill plus either a water tower or some feed handbooks to keep up with that many stables, but I'm not sure what level you'd need the tower or books to be. I'm still trying to find the balance for my level 6 mill plus a level 1 water tower; it has been idle a lot with 5 cows, 4 pigs, and 3 chickens, but I haven't yet had the space to add more without dropping my happiness lower than I like.
  • Pietral (US1)Pietral (US1) US1 Posts: 163
    edited 20.01.2014
    Before (at -100% cost): 6 fields, 4 apples, 1 cherry, 4 cows, 3 pigs, 6 chicken (from memory, not sure about chicken, may have been 7 but I don't think so.)
    When I'm finished (at +300% cost): 8 fields, 10 apples, 2 cherries, 7 cows, 4 pigs, 12 chickens. (I believe it will be that, +/- 1 apple or cow, as this depends upon how many workers I need and also what space I will have left after getting another house or not getting it.)

From that, I reckon that the chicken coops and apple orchards are the only thing that will be generating more profit than before, and this will a net increase. Though, if your planned set up is able to support 12 orchards, I'm guessing you should have been able to support 6 orchards before, which makes the apple orchards a break even, and reduces it to a much smaller increase. (Though all the numbers could go up or down depending on handbooks and activity.)

Though the windmill is still the biggest point of concern. Without a high level water tower and/or feed handbooks, 12 chicken coops would consume 120 feed every 13 minutes, and a max level windmill can only produce about 100 feed in that time. And then you'll have to produce pig and cow feed on top of that.

But if you can make it work, then that's great. And you'll have a much easier time finishing the event tasks. Though I guess you really won't need the decoration...
  • edited 21.01.2014
    For me, it's all about XP and progressing through the ranks.... #29 on the Australian Server now with a bullet.
  • Wei Min2Wei Min2 Posts: 8
    edited 22.01.2014
    As I've mentioned in another thread, I now run my farm without any decos at all on +300% cost... It allows me many more production buildings/fields. Mind you, I made sure I finished all of the side quests on the main farm aside from the three generic recurring ones so that I didn't miss out on any XP before getting rid of the decos.
    Hi,
    I've joined the no decoration club too, managed to put in 9 fields, 8 cowsheds, 8 chicken coops, 7 apple orchards, but still only have 4 pigsty's & 2 cherry orchards (not really needed of projects), just have to see how it go's
  • edited 22.01.2014
    Uh oh, me and my big mouth! Now everyone is jumping on the band wagon!! Hope you brought your trombone; I brought mine. :)

I agree with Montuos that it is very important to choose the correct decos if you are going to have them. (just to stay on topic.)
    edited 26.01.2014
    Hey, it's good to see different perspectives, especially when they're firmly based in cold, hard math! As long as people understand how advanced they need to be before they attempt to go no-decos, and that high happiness per square decos work best until then, it's all good. :)
  • Rusty Farmer (AU1)Rusty Farmer (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,705
    edited 30.01.2014
    I'm all ready to turn my first farm until a workhorse with no deco; howver, that means I won't achieve the next achievement points for happiness, I am about 17 happiness away from that but maybe that isn't as important as helping with the projects more efficently.
  • edited 30.01.2014
    I didn't go down the +300 cost road until after I had done all of the happiness achievements, along with all of the side quests to do with happiness.
  • Rusty Farmer (AU1)Rusty Farmer (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,705
    edited 31.01.2014
    I've done the side quests but have decided to ignore the acheivments. It's more important to help boost the projects right now. Our co-op has been a little lapse lately shall we say. :)
  • duchessogravityduchessogravity Posts: 178
    edited 02.02.2014
    i was actualy thinking of trying this and i did it earlier this week. i'm still making 3 illion a day at least and upgrading pretty heavily. i love it! it is gonna be great for our co-op!

2 cherries, 10 apples, 10 cows, 4 pigs, 7 chicken and 6 fields! woo hoo!
  • Vincent BelfireVincent Belfire Posts: 1
    edited 03.02.2014
    Have my regular farm at -100% in the green. Impossible to do in gourmet or flower farm
  • draas4draas4 Posts: 23
    edited 03.02.2014
    Vincent Belfire, you need more space to get to -100% happiness on gourmet and flower farms. It is possible to do. Several folks, including myself, have achieved that.

Does anyone know what the maximum decoration happiness Achievement Level is? That is, what level is the max? And, how many decoration happiness would you need to achieve to get there?
  • Larino (INT1)Larino (INT1) Posts: 4,572
    edited 03.02.2014
    draas4 wrote: »
    [...]Does anyone know what the maximum decoration happiness Achievement Level is? That is, what level is the max? And, how many decoration happiness would you need to achieve to get there?

level 10 is 2000 decoration happiness ^^
  • draas4draas4 Posts: 23
    edited 04.02.2014
    Thanks Larino :)
  • FarmerVadaFarmerVada Posts: 13
    edited 06.02.2014
    I love playing this game but I can not buy gold coins, so I am having an hard time getting my farms build?
    edited 06.02.2014
    FarmerVada, you don't need to buy gold to play. I've been playing for the last year using only the gold from the daily login bonus and levelling up, and I've just reached level 86. You just need to plan and budget carefully, and be patient.
    edited 15.03.2014
    Due to the 18 March 2014 update, the points in the original post of this thread become even more important, and the strategy of dumping all decorations for greater profits is now officially not recommended. If that idea still sounds interesting to you even with -500% running costs, all I can say is, do your math very carefully before taking that step!
    edited 18.03.2014
    Though the strategy of having -100% has also been thrown out, to get to -97% You now need net happiness of around 1800!
    edited 18.03.2014
    Hey, minadequate, once it's done, I hope you plan to post your final happiness to running cost percentage chart in Tips and Tricks, along with any analysis and advice you have on it. I'd like to add that to the recommended reading up in my first post here.

As far as running cost percentages go, -100% has been the Holy Grail (now more unattainable for more people than ever! ;)), but even -50% is still a good solid place to work from. Higher happiness is better, of course, especially for lower level players, since their profits are smaller, but anywhere in the green will keep you going.
    edited 19.03.2014
    Sure thing Montuos, still no idea what it takes to get 98%+ and would appreciate anyone running a farm with a total of over 512 or any negative amount to add as much data as possible to my thread

However for 0-500 its all done and anyone can access the raw data for that, the updated graph looks like this 33yrses.jpg

So really as it stands I think unless people want to go chasing -100% (97% was achieved by Larino on an empty farm I believe) I think we will have to be happy with 80-90% being a really good happiness but in terms of the curve of the graph it might be sensible to limit the decorations to get -75% and then using more production buildings. Obviously every farm is different so it would be nice to have some more data so people can make informed decisions if they choose to switch their playing style.

(And because you seem to like the maths Montuos its not logarithmic... I plotted it on a Log scale and while it was straighter it still has a s shape curve... though I might have been doing it wrong)
Sign In to comment.