Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Obsidian Farm Questions

I have around 64,000 obsidian at the moment so I can unlock the obsidian farm soon. However, I don't know enough information about whether it is even worth it or if I should continue to save up diamonds for cow community upgrades.

What can you produce on the farm? I am aware that there is another currency (I think it was called obsidian dollars or something like that) and you can produce some very powerful special seeds. But does it cost diamonds or obsidian to produce these seeds? (By this, I am asking if it is possible to set up the farm in a way so that you can produce these seeds without having to input any diamonds or obsidian into the process.) Is there anything else you can produce on the farm apart from this?

My main priority at the moment is to unlock some level 5 booster badges for eggs and milk and to get those, combined with adding in more duck coops and cowsheds. That's why I am wanting to know if it can help with this, otherwise I will just focus on community building upgrades and look back at a later date.

Comments

• maxiroy (US1)maxiroy (US1) US1 Posts: 436
    From what I can see the special seeds, fertilizers uses diamonds.  This is my opinion on the farm and the way I have been doing it and I am just speaking for me here.

The end result of this obsidian farm for me is to make special seeds.  If I have to use diamonds to get these seeds then this is something I would do later in the game.  In the meantime I can still build up my obsidian farm to at least be ready for when I am ready to make the seeds.  Cause this farm will take me a long time to build.  And you don't need diamonds on the obsidian farm to upgrade your fields for example.  But you do need the obsidian to research for each level.  Of course your main farm needs the diamonds to upgrade to level 10.  But I am not even near that part yet either.  So even though I am not really into the obsidian farm, I am still going to slowly get it going.  This farm requires a different mind set cause it isn't like the other ones.

It's hard to say at this point if it is worth it or not.  I am also a very slow player.  It could take me years to even start making these seeds cause this farm isn't really a high priority for me.
  • farmerjohn 22 (US1)farmerjohn 22 (US1) US1 Posts: 37,770
    edited 08.11.2021
      @maxiroy (US1)  Have to agree with you about taking your time with the Obsidian farm. It's definitely a long-term project, that's for sure. A friend of mine sent me screenshots of her own Obsidian farm and I can tell you that it's very unusual. Right now she's raising ostriches and lizards!  :D             
  • ninjahuman (AU1)ninjahuman (AU1) AU1 Posts: 2,526
    From what I can see the special seeds, fertilizers uses diamonds.  This is my opinion on the farm and the way I have been doing it and I am just speaking for me here.

The end result of this obsidian farm for me is to make special seeds.  If I have to use diamonds to get these seeds then this is something I would do later in the game.  In the meantime I can still build up my obsidian farm to at least be ready for when I am ready to make the seeds.  Cause this farm will take me a long time to build.  And you don't need diamonds on the obsidian farm to upgrade your fields for example.  But you do need the obsidian to research for each level.  Of course your main farm needs the diamonds to upgrade to level 10.  But I am not even near that part yet either.  So even though I am not really into the obsidian farm, I am still going to slowly get it going.  This farm requires a different mind set cause it isn't like the other ones.

It's hard to say at this point if it is worth it or not.  I am also a very slow player.  It could take me years to even start making these seeds cause this farm isn't really a high priority for me.
    Ok thanks. I will probably try to open it when that is possible so it can collect resources that may be useful for later use.
  • RosyStarlingRosyStarling Moderator, Guest Posts: 4,718
    FWIW I have opened my ObsidianFarm but not developing it yet.
    I have bought plots when I have 85% off them

You start with a Volcanic Acre where you grow crops.

I grow and sell at the Market hoping to build up Obsidian Dollars.

I will wait until I have a reasonable amount of Obsidian before developing it as the few I know who have working Obsidian Farms never have enough Obsidian

I still have plenty to add and upgrade on the other three farms and they will stay my priority

edited 08.11.2021
      Here are some screenshots from a friend who is way ahead of me on the Obsidian farm......

She not only has ostriches and a lizard that changes color, but also an Orca tank.  :)

Post edited by farmerjohn 22 (US1) on
    FWIW I have opened my ObsidianFarm but not developing it yet.
    I have bought plots when I have 85% off them

You start with a Volcanic Acre where you grow crops.

I grow and sell at the Market hoping to build up Obsidian Dollars.

I will wait until I have a reasonable amount of Obsidian before developing it as the few I know who have working Obsidian Farms never have enough Obsidian

I still have plenty to add and upgrade on the other three farms and they will stay my priority

Here are some screenshots from a friend who is way ahead of me on the Obsidian farm......

She not only has ostriches and a lizard that changes color, but also an Orca tank.  :)

Thanks for the information. I discovered that you do the research and then the upgrade to level 11 farmhouse costs diamonds, so I have started the research.
  • Heather Norsk (US1)Heather Norsk (US1) US1 Posts: 7,346
    farmhouse upgrade to Level 11 costs 45k diamonds and takes about 92 hours to complete

After that, I'm not sure, I just stated the farmhouse upgrade myself 

• Jenny1979 (GR1)Jenny1979 (GR1) GR1 Posts: 1,639
    edited 10.11.2021
    cant tell you enough about this farm, many coopmates of mine have better farms but I can tell you some things
    first of all.... its boring!!!!!
    I mean everything takes a lot of time and obsidians of course

when you open the obsidian farm you will see this here
    basically... you have to do all these researches one by one 
    in order to build a field for example you need to make the research first 
    every research needs at least two days
    when you complete the first row then the second one will be unlocked, same with the next one etc. etc

there is no bank to exchange money so you have to be very careful how you are spending them 
    I suggest to build your facilities with gold cause they are cheaper (at least at the beggining) 
    otherwise you will be broke very soon and the only thing you can grow for free is tomatoes every 10 minutes

the best way to make money is to complete contracts (here is an example)

ti needs a lot of patience , at first it goes at a turtle pace (very very boring and frustrating)
    when you build the last one , the green house 
    then you can start making special seeds for the obsidian farm to help you grow more tomatoes and sage and what ever it is needed (you have to unlock it of course with a research)
    special seeds require diamonds, water and the baskets we collect (like when we make special corn in our basic farms) we need only 6 diamonds

here is an example for special tomato seeds

in the greenhouse you can also make seeds for your basic farm
    like obsidian corn seeds , obsidian corn seeds XL and XXL (and other seeds)
    for these you need from 3 to 45 diamonds (depending on the seed you want) , special corn seed (from your basic farm) and dung from the obsidian farm 
    but this one... its still locked cause it needs 10.000 obsidians for research

and you can also make obsidian humus using diamonds (10-15), humus from your basic farm and obsidian leaves   (this one also requires research)

and last but not least... 
    you have to make all the researches you see for your basic farm
    you have to make one facility of everything I think to level 10 but its not only the diamonds you see
    you need to make the obsidian research first (15.000) and it lasts 12 days!!!
    and then you can unlock the upgrade with diamonds to level 10

here is an example

as you can see...
    you have to do this with one field, one chicken, one pig , one cow 
    and then you can unlock the next row (duck, donkey, goat) etc etc
    you have to make all of these (some day...) so you can buy in the end the remaining land in you farms

obsidians are never enough, as you can imagine 
    cant tell you more about this farm only...
    good luck and patience!!!

@Jenny1979 (GR1)
    Thank you ever so very very much !!!
    That was certainly very helpful, to know what to expect.
    And that after the 1st upgrade, not many diamonds are needed.
    Considering how long it took to get the obsidian to start the 1st research, I can only imagine on the rest.
    I think a lot of tomatoes are in my future ;)

I think a lot of tomatoes are in my future ;)
    ha ha ha 
    at least you are correct about the diamonds. you dont need them to play the obsidian farm 
    only to make the upgrades on your Main farm and Gourmet farm ... when the time comes of course
    edited 11.11.2021
    I forgot to tell you that you can also make obsidian food  for chickens, pigs and cows
    in the botany laboratory (or what ever is called) 
    and you need diamonds (15-20-30) simple food (10 of each) and obsidian leaves (32-44-60)

I havent unlocked it thats why I forgot about it
    apart from the research you must make to build it (as everything else of course) you need another research (as you expected !) to make the obsidian food
    you need 10.000 obsidians and 6 days to unlock it 
    and then you can make the food you need

@Jenny1979 (GR1)

Thank you very much for the information. It is very useful. :)
  • After a certain milestone, sorry can't say exactly where, you start getting decent market contracts and make a lot more obsidian dollars, very welcome they are too.
  • ChickadeeQuilterChickadeeQuilter Guest Posts: 967
    It is a process that can be very rewarding.  The Obsidian seeds for the main farm gives great harvests for the various events such as HWE/CHWE and for the CC's for missions.  It does all take much patience, but in the end will be rewarding.  So keep on going! :)
    @ChickadeeQuilter The Obsidian farm is very interesting and I've been working as hard as I can to open it and get started on it. Just 2K of obsidian away now. But can you tell me if there will be more ways of obtaining obsidian in the future? My coop members are becoming discouraged working on it. 
  • jwllmsjnb (US1)jwllmsjnb (US1) US1 Posts: 409
    I don't know if it is right or wrong. I only upgraded the main farm house to lvl 11 on the first tab then jumped right to the second tab and started working away. The amount of obsidian needed is very low to research here, starting at only 1,500, if I remember right. Everything takes 2 days to research, so far.

I did one research on everything before doing the second research, and moved to the third tab when I was able.

I am steadily stocking up on obsidian feed and seeds now. It all moves along at a good pace once you get started.

I did take my ostrich pen back out because it was hard to keep up with feed in the beginning. Have been playing without it for quite a while with no repercussions. 
  • Hello,

I'm on level 118, but still not getting obsidiants. Only diamonds from events. Why? Do I need to wait till new farmers league will start? 
    Yes, once you reach the appropriate level, you still have to wait for the next Farmers League before obsidian will start being rewarded
  • Can anyone give me the upgrade path to building the Conservatory on the Obsidian farm? I don't want to waste any Obsidian.
    I hope maybe someone else can answer better than me, I am sorry I do not really remember .... but if it helps, I do recall before mine was built that I could look in the building tab and see what was required in order to build it.  I back-tracked from there for the "path" to be able to build it.
  • RosyStarlingRosyStarling Moderator, Guest Posts: 4,718
    edited 02.05.2022
    Does the GGS wiki help?  HERE

Like Heather I cannot remember.
  • Uncle John (GB1)Uncle John (GB1) GB1 Posts: 11,004
    Can anyone give me the upgrade path to building the Conservatory on the Obsidian farm? I don't want to waste any Obsidian.
    Mainland tab - only Grand Farmhouse required
    Obsidian farm tab - all required except Dragon Fruit, Lizards and Orcas (botanist workshop can also come after the conservatory)
    3rd tab - this is what it's all about for me. I have made a start.

There may be other paths but that has been mine,
    (Selling ostrich Feed is profitable Production costs are huge and I need a lot of decos))

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file