Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

New right side bar?

Anyway to remove or revert this? I am visually disabled and even with a large screen monitor I have difficulty seeing my farm even when fully zoomed in. The new bar on the right side makes the view even smaller to the point where I am now having difficulty playing.

Comments

• RosyStarlingRosyStarling Moderator, Guest Posts: 4,718
    Is this the ad banner you are referring to?

If so it works like the ads. If you pay for even the smallest amount of gold it will disappear for 60 days.
  • No, its not a banner. Its a new Google ad, side bar and it compresses the screen just like the old left side one did on Youtube 10 years ago. All of my farm is still visible but the graphics have been shrunk and the right 2 inches of my screen is now completely covered by a white bar with ads that flash and change every 30-60 seconds. The flashing is distracting but the real problem is that the graphic elements of my farm have been reduced in size to the point that I can't make them out any more.
  • DebRN (US1)DebRN (US1) US1 Posts: 697
    I have the same thing... and the pop up ads still seem to be active too... one or the other is bad enough... now we have both???
    @Grandpa Squeak (US1)  GGS are referring to it as banner.

I will pass on the difficulty you are having

edited 08.07.2021
    No, its not a banner. Its a new Google ad, side bar and it compresses the screen just like the old left side one did on Youtube 10 years ago. All of my farm is still visible but the graphics have been shrunk and the right 2 inches of my screen is now completely covered by a white bar with ads that flash and change every 30-60 seconds. The flashing is distracting but the real problem is that the graphic elements of my farm have been reduced in size to the point that I can't make them out any more.
    I have been asked to ask you for a screen shot. Either block out your gold/dollars etc or send it to me in a dm

PS need help taking a screenshot?
    Click HERE for 
    How to Take a Screenshot on Any Device
    I like Lightshot which is FREE. Click HERE to download it
  • Here it is. I've cropped identifying information from the top and bottom of the screen. From Coop chat since my OP at least 4 of my fellow Coop members are experiencing the same difficulties.

• DebRN (US1)DebRN (US1) US1 Posts: 697
    Everyone in my coop has the same
  • artful (US1)artful (US1) US1 Posts: 6,617
    edited 08.07.2021
    I have it and it is just awful. The pop up is one thing, but this sidebar ad is beyond annoying.  I can buy a little gold now and then, but may have to stop playing all together if they don't get rid of this thing.

It's not just that it shrinks the play area.  The animated ads make it so distracting.
    I have passed @Grandpa Squeak (US1)'s SS on PLUS all the comments so far

• Tralfazz (US1)Tralfazz (US1) US1 Posts: 136
    Have the same issue here. Seems the company is getting worse in attempts to make money. For years the developers refused to listen to players and fix bugs or playing issues they introduced by adding more "features" to the game. Now they adjust prices and prizes all the time to make it even worse and now they add in banner ads that block a large area of the game and make it unusable. 
  • Thanks for the help Rosy Starling!
    Have the same issue here. Seems the company is getting worse in attempts to make money. For years the developers refused to listen to players and fix bugs or playing issues they introduced by adding more "features" to the game. Now they adjust prices and prizes all the time to make it even worse and now they add in banner ads that block a large area of the game and make it unusable. 
    I know, right?  Fix the bugs, give the players what they want, take away what the players don't want, listen to the players, and put the customers first. If they focussed on those things, more players would have stuck around and would still be spending gold. What they're doing now is making the game less and less enjoyable, and digging the hole deeper. Long ago, rather than tryinng to "fix" things themselves, they should have hired an outside business/marketing team to help them make better business decisions that would allow them to keep and buid a sound base of loyal customers while increasing their bottom line without resorting to these cheap tactics.
  • JJ_Wolf (US1)JJ_Wolf (US1) US1 Posts: 4
    edited 08.07.2021
    When I logged in my account and my game window has the space on the right side of the screen. I was wondering how to fix it. The red circle is the space.

[ I moved you to the discussion on this issue - Rosy]
    Post edited by RosyStarling on
    When I logged in my account and my game window has the space on the right side of the screen. I was wondering how to fix it. The red circle is the space.
    You can't fix it. It's their new way to try to increase revenue. It might go away if you buy gold.
  • I also am experiencing the side banner or whatever you want to call it. I do not think constant ads are fair to your players. You say pay a small amount of gold to get rid of for 60 days. There are people out there like me who do not have extra money for this. You are also cutting the size of the playable screen making laptop play virtually impossible. I can see watching some ads not to pay. This side banner is going too far.

The pop up ads have been getting longer also. there are a couple that last for 60 seconds which can make you loose challenges. They are popping up every five to 8 minutes. That is not fair to have 6 pop up ads lasting a minute during each 30 minute challenge. That is six minutes you cannot work on the challenge giving people who pay a  great advantage. I really like this game and all the friends I have made here. I am considering quitting if you do not take away side banner and shorten all ads to 30 seconds or under.

• Now the ad that pops up on the side is for playing big farm??? I that not what I am playing?
  • Uncle John (GB1)Uncle John (GB1) GB1 Posts: 11,004
    It might also go away if you install an ad-blocker
    Now the ad that pops up on the side is for playing big farm??? I that not what I am playing?
    Is it for this web based version?    Not the mobile, Steam or the garden match 3 one?

• pmilers (US1)pmilers (US1) US1 Posts: 18
    Wow, now there are even more ads?  These ads completely slow down my computer, the game freezes frequently when an ad pops up, now part of my screen is taken up with GoogleAds.  And they are advertising the game I am playing...this is terrible.
  • Are you kidding me!!   A right side bar for ads...  You guys are making the game worse instead of better!!  Keep up the good work!?? 
  • Same problem with the new side bar. Can't see the full game screen, which makes it difficult to play. This is ridiculous. Ads at the side and at the bottom. Frustrating is an understatement. I can't post how I really feel. 
  • whiziwig (US1)whiziwig (US1) US1 Posts: 1,262
    instead of GG making the game less enjoyable to play maybe they should just close the game or make it for those who would pay to play, as it seems they really want money more than player satisfaction. Humbug on the side ads.
  • george3 (AU1)george3 (AU1) AU1 Posts: 411
    edited 09.07.2021
    I don't have the right hand sidebar & had to have a good read & see what it was all about, what I do have is "adlock plus", if you don't like the ads install an ad blocker, problem solved
  • Autumnferret (US1)Autumnferret (US1) US1 Posts: 1,168
    it just popped up for me ONLY in Dream World so far
  • Tralfazz (US1)Tralfazz (US1) US1 Posts: 136
    edited 09.07.2021
    Tor those interested it is being placed there by hotpkg.com If you can block that ad site it goes away... 
  • ChickadeeQuilterChickadeeQuilter Guest Posts: 967
    We are listening and collecting information to send to the team. :)
  • Its on my co-op people. A few of them
  • Autumnferret (US1)Autumnferret (US1) US1 Posts: 1,168
    edited 09.07.2021
    Post edited by RosyStarling on
  • Just an update for the mods to pass along to the dev team. I have started using Microsoft's win 10 accessibility tools for the disabled to see the game well enough to play. Specifically the magnifier set to 200%. (This is what I have to use to find the beach balls and even then its not good enough for me to find Easter eggs or candies). The problem with the magnifier is that it makes the screen large enough for me to see but makes navigating around the map difficult. Zoomed in so I can see the details means I can only see a small part of the farm at one time. Without a minimap this makes navigating around the farm a problem.

Scrolling around the map, by clicking and dragging, means that I have accidentally clicked (and harvested) crops that I had been saving for the next Village Fair challenge. While zoomed in I can't see the flashing ads as they are off screen but when I get to that side of the screen to use the green house, see what's next for village fair, or use the jump menu to go to a different farm, part or all of the ad bar/banner is there. Earlier today I tried to click to go to Dream world and accidentally clicked on the banner. This opened a new tab on my browser and triggered a virus alert from my anti-virus software. My antivirus software prevented the website from opening but by the time I got the blocked tab closed and the magnifier turned back off the ad had changed and I wasn't able to see what ad had triggered the warning. Google is usually pretty good about making sure the ads they run in those bars are virus free so it was likely a false positive but with the ransomware attacks that have been going on recently one can never be too careful.

To those people who have suggested using an adblocker, I appreciate the suggestion but if this is like all other Google ad bars, an adblocker will only cover the ad and not free up the screen space being used. An adblocker program that would change the dev's code to free up the space taken is illegal in the USA unless you have the company's express written permission to do so.

I understand that GGS needs to generate revenue to keep the servers running, pay salaries, and provide updates and new content (that is one thing where Big Farm shines over all the other browser games I have tried, there is always something different to do to keep me interested and prevent boredom from setting in) and that recent events have caused many people's personal revenue streams to dry up. Being disabled means I'm on a fixed income. That means that I can't buy gold every 60 days but I do buy currency once a year when I play a long term browser game like this to at least help the dev team keep the lights on.

I don't mind sitting through 2 or 3 ads when I first log in, if that will generate revenue for the company during the months that I can't buy gold, but I really appreciate the ability to completely close that ad panel or popup so that I can enjoy the full immersion of the game afterwards and not have the ads return in the middle of a timed event like a Village Fair or while my stack master is running during a Cooperative Challenge.

The new bar/banner on the right side can't be closed. Right clicking on it will allow you to close the current ad (but not the bar/banner) and as soon as the timer changes a new ad appears. Left clicking by accident, as mentioned, potentially exposes me to a malware attack.

Thanks again to the mod team for the assistance!

Grandpa Squeak
    I promise you we are passing feed back on quite vehemently !!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file