Home EN Discussion Corner for the official announcements

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Hi, I'm Meela, The Numbers Guy

Hi, everyone!

I'm the designated numbers guy ('game balancer', to be official) in our Big Farm team, so if you ever feel like something on your farm is too expensive, hard to get, or generally going after you, I "might" be the cause... I'm sorry. *puppy eyes*

As such, if you have any questions or ideas about the numbers in the game, feel free to ask me here, I'll do my best to answer them.

Oh, and Jenny also says hi!

All the best,
Meela

Comments

• Hey @Meela and Jenny! Welcome to the EN community. We're glad to have you here to help the players. :)
  • Data King (US1)Data King (US1) US1 Posts: 7,994
    Welcome @Meela to the team. We can always use an extra helping hand around here :)
  • Welcome @Meela to the EN Community, good to have you here! :smiley:

Hi Jenny, 

Related image
  • Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557
    Gerelateerde afbeelding

Welcome to our forum & community, @Meela !! THANKS in advance for your time & expertise!!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor baseball bat helmet glove
    (here are all tools you'll need; bet Jenny loves the ball!) ;)

• CM iSacCM iSac Posts: 2,190
    Welcome @Meela

Great to see you around, finally!

PS: Have fun  >:)  o:)

• Dara (SKN1)Dara (SKN1) SKN1 Posts: 2,638
    Welcome @Meela , greetings from skn server  :smiley:
    Nice to meet you 
  • welcome
  • Couldn't resist, welcome on board, @Meela :tongue::sunglasses:

• Michiru (GB1)Michiru (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,239
    Hi @Meela, welcome to the forum!

May I voice a couple of requests:

Any chance you could scrunch up those toolbox numbers again? Their sudden droprate reduction was too much for me..

And also about the temp farm timing, id rather have back the full time for my candy farm.. Any reduction on my candy supply wont cure my addiction, it'll just make me cranky, as any withdrawal does *noisily and forcefully chewing candy* It would be easier than figuring out over months the rebalancing of total voucher droprates, greenhouse seeds and horseshoe conversion to balance out the shortened temp farm.

• HELLO AND WELCOME @Meela, great to have you here!
  • hi
  • Hi Meela :)

Please give us a hint how you work out your sums (maths/balancing)

• ashim (IN1)ashim (IN1) IN1 Posts: 572
    edited 25.03.2017
    Hi Meela , Welcome to Forum

can u suggest yourself what kind of work you are doing for big farm ? or it is like level of building ?

@ Meela 
    are you involved in the costing of deco , buildings ,lib etc whether it is of gold and from dollar ?

[Posts merged | Wabbit]
    Post edited by WascallyWabbit (FormerMod) on
  • MeelaMeela Guest Posts: 13
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

I'll be trying to reply to everything so if it feels like my answers don't go deep enough, it's likely because of lack of time (although sometimes I just can't give an answer because of confidentiality, I'll try to indicate when that's the case).
  • MeelaMeela Guest Posts: 13
    @Michiru (GB1)

I totally get your candy withdrawal, I'm also mighty grumpy without my morning sugar rush but sometimes we must cut down on what we love  :'(

@Teejay52 (INT1)

If I'm adding more stuff of what's already in the game (like the new farm machines), the most important thing is keeping the same logic, so that it is easy to understand for the players and doesn't feel strangely out of place. Unless we did it badly the first time, then it might be necessary to deviate a bit  :p

For new things like the fishing, it's good to use some existing feature as a comparison (how many dollars must selling a restaurant product using apples give so that it makes sense to use apples that way instead of making apple pies in the bakery with them?). Then I usually make a calculator so that I can ask it questions like "how long will it take to fish enough bass to use that recipe?" And then change some parameters to make sure it doesn't take too long or not long enough. Technicalwise, those calculators are not that different from what some players create when reverse-engineering the ship, for example  B)

In general, the most important thing is using formulas for the numbers instead of typing them by hand. It makes changing the numbers much easier and also eliminates most stupid mistakes  :# That's why it's handy to remember some school math - if you want to make something progressively more expensive (like building stages), an exponential function is a good first approximation. Whereas with something like the snowman, where each snowball collected gives less happiness, a logarithmic function will be a better starting point. Then it's a question of tuning it to satisfy whatever criteria are important - which are often contradictory because every farm is different  :|

@ashim (IN1)

Yes, creating building levels would be one of the things I do in the team. Whenever something has a cost or a timer, my sticky fingers were involved somewhere... MWAHAHA  >:)
  • hlo meela
  • Hi everyone,

You may continue to post your greetings or messages for Meela on this thread, but any game related questions that you have for him, should be asked HERE,  by posting on an existing topic thread or creating a new by clicking "New Discussion".

Thank you!
    Wabbit
  • Welcome @Meela :)

Hope you enjoy your time in the EN community :)
  • Xcution (INT1)Xcution (INT1) INT1 Posts: 1,183
    I think u r the guy who is responsible for the books prize right what were u guys thinking please let us know about the prizes I was  thinking u should give us thoes books in dollars not in gold though :/
    They arnt even worth that much yet their prizes are like pufffff
  • blossom (GR1)blossom (GR1) GR1 Posts: 376
    So are you the guy responsible for the overpriced fishes and the dramatic reduction of the fish prices and not be able to sell them any more?
  • didah (SKN1)didah (SKN1) SKN1 Posts: 1,246
    Meela said:
    Hi, everyone!

I'm the designated numbers guy ('game balancer', to be official) in our Big Farm team, so if you ever feel like something on your farm is too expensive, hard to get, or generally going after you, I "might" be the cause... I'm sorry. *puppy eyes*

As such, if you have any questions or ideas about the numbers in the game, feel free to ask me here, I'll do my best to answer them.

I have a question: How on earth did you calculate the drop rates for the Wedding Event?
  • edited 17.01.2018
    Balancing is a fine act. Especially those that do high wire work.

You could fall and die if you get it wrong.

Big Farm has become high wire work lately.

Maybe Meela has fallen?

I hope not :(

Maybe Meela has fallen?

I hope not :(

Well, the Meela account has been idle since June, guess we didn't have enough questions.
    Since then it's all been a mess (aprx 6 months)
    I think this is where the problem really lies, we have no number guy anymore... 
    'Lets save the money, and copy what we do on other events - it'll be fine, no one will notice!'

You guessed wrong...we *did* notice!!

Remaining mods, are Meela still among us, or someone new?
  • dchen1 (US1)dchen1 (US1) US1 Posts: 993
    Meela, Do you test the game at the level ranges most players are in (1-150)?  Do you build the farm the way most players build it?
    Most players dont buy gold and stop playing when little or no content is added for leveling up.  Game developers need to listen to player feedback to improve the game.  
  • ninjahuman (AU1)ninjahuman (AU1) AU1 Posts: 2,526
    The best players dont need many decorations and better production buildings, they just need lots of dollars to upgrade the lab and get expansions.  The players around level 70 want the decorations and production buildings and the bonus will help them by a fair amount.  Events need to give the right rewards to the right people so people can have fun with the new features.  

This doesn't make much sense, I understand what you are saying about the decorations but I do not agree with the special buildings part. Themed buildings become more important when you are becoming more pushed for space, their benefit is not that great when you still have expansions to unlock but they are one of the only ways to improve your farm once all the expansions are unlocked. For a lower level player, it will be far easier to unlock a new expansion then get a themed building and it will give a much better benefit. For example, the tropical cowshed at level 9 only saves 15 squares of space and produces an extra 95 milk per harvest then a level 9 normal cowshed. This will not benefit a lower level player who can still easily improve the quality of housing, decorations and open more expansions, but it is useful for higher level players that have the highest level housing, very high quality decorations and all the expansions unlocked.
  • artful (US1)artful (US1) US1 Posts: 6,617
    The best players dont need many decorations and better production buildings, they just need lots of dollars to upgrade the lab and get expansions.  The players around level 70 want the decorations and production buildings and the bonus will help them by a fair amount.  Events need to give the right rewards to the right people so people can have fun with the new features.  

I'm not sure we're playing the same game.  The best players do need these things, always.  Even if the deco isn't as high as they'd like, they can use it for parts to upgrade their existing deco. The higher you go, the more valuable space becomes and "lots of dollars" won't fix that.

I feel like bumping this thread ...since there's still no official answer to, whether we in fact still have a numberguy or not. ?
    Meelee was presented as such - and I take it, someone took over if he has moved on, as "Tinzen (SKN1)" suggested... 
    Cant find the post saying he moved on either - but that might just be me..

didah
    @Meela
    Where are you at, or who is there instead of you?
  • WascallyWabbit (FormerMod)WascallyWabbit (FormerMod) Guest Posts: 6,097
    edited 12.02.2018
    Hi Guys,

Sorry, but Meela is no longer with the company -  The current team are incredibly busy at the moment, so we don`t have any numbers people in the Treehouse for now, but hopefully some new ones will join soon. :)
This discussion has been closed.