Home EN General Discussions & Questions Tutorials and FAQs

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Dockyard Strategy Calculator - https://discord.com/channels/820962964391198741/1144678085850042458

Comments

• Version 2.1

• A -Select location and the boat you would like to use
    • B - Enter the quantity needed to empty location (Can be left blank, Calculator will assume that enough fish is available.)
    • C - Select strategy type

• For strategy type "Profit/Hour" and "Income/Hour" 
    •  Select a time Option 1 "Best" gives you the best "Profit/Hour" and "Income/Hour" and ignores time Option 2 gives the best combination withing that time 
    • D - Select if you want to use the Recommended Combination Y uses the combination listed under Best where as N uses the values you enter.
    • If you plan to use Non-standard crew set this not N
    • E - Specs of your ship before and after crew is added.
    • F - Fishing time 
    • G - Recommended combination (NB The recommended combination is based only on standard crew, no non-standard crew or chum is included in the recommended combination) adding the rest would add thousands of extra combinations 
    • H - Fish Caught
    • I - Income and cost of Trip
    • J -Income and Profit per Hour
    • K - Non Standard Items and Crew

Please take note that due to the fact that this version makes suggestions it is slightly more resource intensive than the previous version of the Calculator 
  • I thought I would tag everyone who has commented thus far to let you know the latest version of the calculator is now available

@Southern (US1) @ryune (INT1) @JVD (US1) @maxiroy (US1) @Jiesta (NL1) @dchen1 (US1) @PBH (GB1) @tessa17 (US1) @SANDRAUser60 (US1) @Lylu (INT1) @archerbob (AU1) @Letty.liongamez (GB1) @ninjahuman (AU1)

If I missed some one I apologize
  • Shay1968 (US1)Shay1968 (US1) Posts: 1,324

I found that the only time it is not accurate is if you try to save more time than is available, for example trying to save 3 hours on a 2 hour trip.

@DoctorX (INT1)

Hi Doc,  I really like your calculator.  I have a suggestion that might help the situation noted above.
    You can use conditional formatting and an IF statement that will highlight the cell in red if the "time saved" exceeds the necessary fishing time, such as:
    If(necessary fishing time < time saved * -100%),TRUE,FALSE)

This will not correct the problem but it will alert the user that they have exceeded the amount and are wasting gear.  This can also work for added coolers & fish per hour.  There are some people that think simply add all coolers and get more fish, or add all fish per hour and catch a lot more in that time, or add all time saved and that they will still get a lot of fish in a little bit of time.  Red highlighting can help them make better choices.

My calculator is still in progress because I have it on 1 sheet for each boat because I was trying to work out all the minor details and profit early on, just haven't had time to focus to get it completed.  I use the conditional formatting to alert when there is unneeded gear.

• I found that the only time it is not accurate is if you try to save more time than is available, for example trying to save 3 hours on a 2 hour trip.

@DoctorX (INT1)

Hi Doc,  I really like your calculator.  I have a suggestion that might help the situation noted above.
    You can use conditional formatting and an IF statement that will highlight the cell in red if the "time saved" exceeds the necessary fishing time, such as:
    If(necessary fishing time < time saved * -100%),TRUE,FALSE)

This will not correct the problem but it will alert the user that they have exceeded the amount and are wasting gear.  This can also work for added coolers & fish per hour.  There are some people that think simply add all coolers and get more fish, or add all fish per hour and catch a lot more in that time, or add all time saved and that they will still get a lot of fish in a little bit of time.  Red highlighting can help them make better choices.

My calculator is still in progress because I have it on 1 sheet for each boat because I was trying to work out all the minor details and profit early on, just haven't had time to focus to get it completed.  I use the conditional formatting to alert when there is unneeded gear.
    I will take a look at this and add it to the next version. Thanks
  • ninjahuman (AU1)ninjahuman (AU1) AU1 Posts: 2,526
    I thought I would tag everyone who has commented thus far to let you know the latest version of the calculator is now available

@Southern (US1) @ryune (INT1) @JVD (US1) @maxiroy (US1) @Jiesta (NL1) @dchen1 (US1) @PBH (GB1) @tessa17 (US1) @SANDRAUser60 (US1) @Lylu (INT1) @archerbob (AU1) @Letty.liongamez (GB1) @ninjahuman (AU1)

If I missed some one I apologize
    Thanks  :)
  • thank you @DoctorX (INT1)
  • JVD (US1)JVD (US1) US1 Posts: 2,784
    Excellent, thanks @DoctorX (INT1)
  • Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557

Once again: incredible handy thingy!!  Rest assured it will be used to pieces!
    THANKS again for your time & energy!! Highly appreciated!

Bedankt smileys Smileys en emoticons
  • HI @DoctorX (INT1)

I love, Love, LOVE your spreadsheet!  Thank you so much for making it! and sharing it with us!!  :-)

I bet you are really enjoying the challenge of designing this spreadsheet!  I have found it accurate so far. I love to make them, but I am not as skilled at it as you are!  I love Excel too!!

The one thing that I desperately need please is to be able to add multiple combinations of non-standard crew or coolers in the same category in order to get what I want.  This is what is really missing for me.

I might want a combination of 3 different coolers, or 2-3 crew for fish/hour, etc.  Whatever makes my numbers come out like I want them to!  So, I need to be able to add them all instead of only 1 in each category as it is now.  You probably will just need to add some more lines for each item to do that. 

(I had noticed that Pools 1 and 4 as I recall had an error, should be 3 hrs. and 15 min. travel time.  I think you already have that information, as I saw you mention it above. I didn't see any other errors on the pools.  I sent a message to CrazyBigFarm55 (Nina) about it last week.)

Might be nice to be able to add how many of each kind of fish is left in the pool, instead of just the total number of fish-(if GGS always puts the odd fish in the same place that is.) That way our money figures would be more accurate.

I would really like for GGS to put the net number of fish in the fishing report.  I also want them to show ALL of the crew, coolers, and any other equipment that was used when the boat comes in.  It would be nice to be able to go back and look at this when the boat is out fishing too.  I guess for now, I will just have to write it all down!

I'm not sure just what I want yet, but I need to design a form to keep track of what my boats are doing at which holes and which positions on each hole with each crew/equipment set up, for which fish, etc..  For example:  This is what I sent them out with, this is what came back!  I'll have to work on that!  :-)  Hmmm....now I have more ideas, I kind of roll things around in my head for awhile, then finally put it all down - probably on a huge spreadsheet - data sheet!

Perhaps, at some post you might consider a post fishing section where we could put in the actual figures of how many of which fish we actually caught and lost, for some net accurate totals.  We would of course have to keep a record of the pre-fishing info we put into your calculator, and probably enter it again, then put in the actual catch info, and we would have an accurate total of all.  All depends on what we choose to do and how much record keeping we want to do.

I have maxed out my boats for the maximum number of fish that are possible for that boat at the level I have. It is good to know your boat's maximum capability regardless of the cost, or time, etc. Then if I want to clear out a pool for example, that has 85 fish in it, I know I will need more than 1 of my Level 6 motorboats-that have a max of 60 fish (so far as I know right now anyway. LOL)  So then I would need more than 1 boat to clear it out!  I could do all kinds of combinations of boats to do that too.  Or combinations of different boats. All depends on how fast I want to do it, how long it will take, how many boats I have available, etc.  I had a pool today with only 3 fish left in it! I probably lost money on that one, but needed it cleared out.  Managed to do it in less than an hour!  I found that I could put the number of fish I want the boat to catch in as the number left in the pool and get some suggestions from your sheet.  Still learning to use it to my best advantage.

I guess that is all for now.  If you can just add the non-standard crew/cooler so I can use more than 1 in each category, I will be very, very happy indeed!  Thank You again!

• Shay1968 (US1)Shay1968 (US1) Posts: 1,324
    HI @DoctorX (INT1)

I love, Love, LOVE your spreadsheet!  Thank you so much for making it! and sharing it with us!!  :-)

I bet you are really enjoying the challenge of designing this spreadsheet!  I have found it accurate so far. I love to make them, but I am not as skilled at it as you are!  I love Excel too!!

The one thing that I desperately need please is to be able to add multiple combinations of non-standard crew or coolers in the same category in order to get what I want.  This is what is really missing for me.

@Craftycritters (US1)
    Hi,  I know this message is for Doc,  but I am just curious about your request, as to why you would want to "add multiple combinations of non-standard crew or coolers"  And to clarify do you mean add different coolers or crew to one boat?
  • Southern (US1)Southern (US1) US1 Posts: 3,268
    Feature Request:

@DoctorX (INT1)

I would like to request a feature for the Dockyard Calculator that would really make my life easier. :)

Right now, if I put in a number for "Total Quantity Left", select "Profit/Trip" and "Range: Best", it calculates the least expensive Equipment needed to fish up the Quantity I've input.

I would like to request a setting similar to "Profit/Hour" that will, instead, calculate the FASTEST way to fish up the quantity I've input, regardless of cost.  (IE, I don't care how expensive it is, I just want it to do it in the fastest way possible).

Right now I'm using "Profit/Trip" as a starting point and fiddling with the equipment a bit to get the fastest time possible.

IE., in the screenshot below:

"Profit/Trip" wants me to equip 7/1/2/1, but the time requirement is 8h40min.

If I adjust it so that it's 6/1/3/1, I can cut the time down to 8h17min.  Granted, I use another $15k Roy instead of a $1k Brigette, but that's not my concern; I just want the fastest turnaround on the boats possible.

Would that be possible?
  • Feature Request:

@DoctorX (INT1)

I would like to request a feature for the Dockyard Calculator that would really make my life easier. :)

Right now, if I put in a number for "Total Quantity Left", select "Profit/Trip" and "Range: Best", it calculates the least expensive Equipment needed to fish up the Quantity I've input.

I would like to request a setting similar to "Profit/Hour" that will, instead, calculate the FASTEST way to fish up the quantity I've input, regardless of cost.  (IE, I don't care how expensive it is, I just want it to do it in the fastest way possible).

Right now I'm using "Profit/Trip" as a starting point and fiddling with the equipment a bit to get the fastest time possible.

IE., in the screenshot below:

"Profit/Trip" wants me to equip 7/1/2/1, but the time requirement is 8h40min.

If I adjust it so that it's 6/1/3/1, I can cut the time down to 8h17min.  Granted, I use another $15k Roy instead of a $1k Brigette, but that's not my concern; I just want the fastest turnaround on the boats possible.

Would that be possible?
    Hi Everyone

Sorry for not releasing a new update, I have been really busy the last while. 
    I Will look into this and create a new version as soon as I can.
    All,

In DoctorX's absence, I have updated the Dockyard Calculator with the current (Direct Sale) prices and current Travel Times to reflect the latest updates to Deep Sea Fishing.

No other changes have been made.

Hopefully DoctorX will return (soon!) and add the new features we've been requesting.  But for those of you who have been asking for an updated Dockyard Calculator with the current prices, here ya go.

Full credit still goes to DoctorX for creating this outstanding tool; I'm just updating it so that people can still use it to calculate the best equipment with the best profit based on current Direct Sale prices. :)

(You'll still make more money if the items are sold through contracts) :)

• JVD (US1)JVD (US1) US1 Posts: 2,784
  • CrazyBigfarm55 (US1)CrazyBigfarm55 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,226
    Thank you @Southern (US1) for updating @DoctorX (INT1) awesome calculator for us!

I have updated my Dockyard page with it and I also removed my Event calendar and replaced it with a link to your awesome Live Event Calendar.

You know, so many people on this forum have shared so many wonderful spreadsheets, gadgets and info to make life on the BigFarm so much easier for us all, Thank you all.
    Have we told you how much we love you lately, @CrazyBigfarm55 (US1)?? :)

• nuke9104 (US1)nuke9104 (US1) US1 Posts: 149
    I thought I might make an effort to resurrect this calculator, given that DoctorX and Southern appear to have left the game.  Note, I have an MS in Computer Science from a very respected university, 40+ years of professional experience, and have used/programmed/developed Excel workbooks.  I noticed that the travel/fishing/total times don't match what the game says these days, so I am really just focused on getting that right.

In that vein, I have noticed very odd behavior in the game with the times for Trawlers.  I can get the calculator's times for Runabouts and Skipjacks to match exactly, but Trawlers are always a little off.  This is more than a rounding error, but otherwise small.  I have double checked the calculator's figures, even using a real calculator and by hand with pencil, and I get the same figures and the Excel calculator, but I don't match the numbers coming from the game.  Here is a pair of examples, which should make you pause (both involve a level 1 Trawler, and there are plenty more fish in the pool from which we are fishing):
    • 0 Victors, 5 Roy, 1 Large Freezer; game says fishing time is 1:31:12, calculator says 1:30:31
    • 1 Victor, 5 Roy, 1 Large Freezer; game says fishing time is 1:30:44, calculator say 1:30:31
    The holding capacity is 86 fish, and we will catch 57 fish/hour, which is 1:30:31 for fishing time.  The addition of 1 Victor in the second case, who can extend our time at sea, really should do nothing here because we already will complete our fishing before the boat's base fishing time of 1:45:00, and the calculator reflects this, but the game shows two different times.

Anyone with any ideas?

Would players care if the calculator had slightly different values from the game, but it might be "close enough?"

BTW, I've run into something similar with using chum--close, but not quite the same.
    I thought I might make an effort to resurrect this calculator, given that DoctorX and Southern appear to have left the game.  Note, I have an MS in Computer Science from a very respected university, 40+ years of professional experience, and have used/programmed/developed Excel workbooks.  I noticed that the travel/fishing/total times don't match what the game says these days, so I am really just focused on getting that right.

In that vein, I have noticed very odd behavior in the game with the times for Trawlers.  I can get the calculator's times for Runabouts and Skipjacks to match exactly, but Trawlers are always a little off.  This is more than a rounding error, but otherwise small.  I have double checked the calculator's figures, even using a real calculator and by hand with pencil, and I get the same figures and the Excel calculator, but I don't match the numbers coming from the game.  Here is a pair of examples, which should make you pause (both involve a level 1 Trawler, and there are plenty more fish in the pool from which we are fishing):
    • 0 Victors, 5 Roy, 1 Large Freezer; game says fishing time is 1:31:12, calculator says 1:30:31
    • 1 Victor, 5 Roy, 1 Large Freezer; game says fishing time is 1:30:44, calculator say 1:30:31
    The holding capacity is 86 fish, and we will catch 57 fish/hour, which is 1:30:31 for fishing time.  The addition of 1 Victor in the second case, who can extend our time at sea, really should do nothing here because we already will complete our fishing before the boat's base fishing time of 1:45:00, and the calculator reflects this, but the game shows two different times.

Anyone with any ideas?

Would players care if the calculator had slightly different values from the game, but it might be "close enough?"

BTW, I've run into something similar with using chum--close, but not quite the same.
    I looked at this and I am having the same issues with level 6 trawlers. I am not sure why this is occurring.
  • Heather Norsk (US1)Heather Norsk (US1) US1 Posts: 7,346
    @nuke9104 (US1)  That would be amazing to have this updated! 
    I've been using it all this time with the "close enough" philosophy, and your numbers are a whole lot closer. For less than a minute's time, I can't imagine it bother most players (but this is just my opinion) 

edited 16.02.2022
    @Heather Norsk (US1) , in the v2.2 copy I downloaded, the times are dramatically off, not just a little, which is why I want to fix it.  For example, with a level 6 skipjack loaded with 1 Lisa, 3 Nancy, and 8 Freezers, the game says Travel Time is (effectively) 6:30:00, Fishing Time is 6:22:56, with a Total Time of 12:52:56.  The v2.2 calculator says Travel Time is 8:30:00, Fishing Time is 8:00:00, with a Total Time of 16:30:00.  With this big a difference, I question the accuracy of the calculator's recommendations.

I assume the game was changed in this regard since the last calculator version, so I am working to make it consistent with each other.  My hardest issue (which frankly isn't unusual with software) is that there is very little commenting or programmer notes left, so I have to analyze all the code and deduce what DoctorX was trying to do.  I've done this many times before, but I wish people would include more documentation for those that follow in their footsteps.  I believe there is value in what was done, and they might have run into things that I might not think of, so I make the effort.

In regards to the times listed in my earlier message, if I can figure out what is happening and compensate, I will, but the differences in Trawler times have all been within a minute, so I might not bother, and call it close enough.  Anything I can think of so far hasn't worked.  The example I gave in the earlier message is interesting, since there should not be any difference in the times, yet there is.

I think I've figured out the issue with the chum differences, and it is surprising!  More testing is needed before I say something more.
    Post edited by nuke9104 (US1) on

@nuke9104 (US1)
    Yeah, it gets fun when they slightly change just a few things in the game & we don't really know until we figure it out (like this).
    I used to be in a co-op with Southern, I was there when he updated this because of changes in the game & DoctorX wasn't active at that time. I never knew DoctorX nor if (s)he ever returned to playing or if is active now. Sadly, Southern passed away almost 2 yrs ago.  I know nothing of programming, I didn't even know notes could be left in it, so what you are able to figure out is fabulous IMO! 
    I do remember chum prices have been adjusted. When DSF 1st came out, chum was fabulous income - really up there. It didn't take too long for GGS to change that; the chum profit got reduced and adjusted a few times, now it's mostly made at a loss (not counting market contracts). I never use chum to load boats, so I've never tried to figure that out - but eager to hear what you've found ;)
    I still have this dockyard calc saved; I used it A LOT after they changed DSF and as I was upgrading boats, but once I had all level 6 trawlers & I figured out how I wanted to load my boats, I just haven't needed it much so haven't really noticed any discrepancies

It would help if you list the pool # you are using in your examples.  I was able to replicate exactly what you said about the L-6 Skipjack times, using pool #13

For this eg;
    I used pool #2. When I stock a L-1 Trawler with these (in the calculator), it shows 1h45m fishing time. When I add 1 Victor, the time changes to 5h45m. This is when I tell the calculator there are more fish in the pool than this equipment will catch (I said 500 fish).  The only way I could get the calculator go down to the 1h30m time you have, is to reduce the fish in the pool to only 86, a lot less than this equipment will catch. Then, and only then, did adding a Victor not change the time. Even 87 fish, adding Victor still added 4 hrs, it had to be 86 or lower to start lowering the time and for Victor not to make a difference.
    The other thing I find confusing is that my dockyard calc puts times like this, "1h 45min", no seconds & not like you have "1:30:31".
    @nuke9104 (US1)
    is there a chance that when your dockyard calculator did not add time for adding 1 Victor, that perhaps the "use recommended" box might have inadvertently been changed to "Y"

@Heather Norsk (US1) I just heard today about Southern's passing.  I started the game Nov. 2020, so wasn't even around when that happened.  Unfortunate, indeed.

I didn't list the pool in my earlier Trawler example because it doesn't matter as long as the pool has more fish than the capacity of the boat (86 in this case).  I probably mislead people when I said 'calculator' in bulleted text.  I should have said the updated calculator (which is still a work in progress).  You won't get the same numbers from the published calculator because it has problems in this area compared with the current game.  I assume the published calculator worked great earlier (based on the various comments where people were impressed with how accurate it was), but the game has changed since.

In the case of the Skipjack example, I was using pool 14.  Which specific pool is used only affects the Travel Time (and, of course, the Total Time), not the Fishing Time.

In my updates to the calculator, seconds will be listed in the times to match the level of detail provided by the game.  They will look like "1h 30min 31sec", somewhat consistent with what was there before.

I have discovered that the discrepancies for a level 1 Trawler (and a level 6 Trawler, per @ninjahuman (AU1) ) are level and boat related, not just boat related.  My level 6 Skipjacks are spot on for times between the game and the updated calculator, but my wife's level 4 Skipjacks show the same type of timing differences that I see for the level 1 Trawler.   :/
    edited 17.02.2022
    I hadn't asked for the pool for the trawlers eg, that was on the skipjack comment, which you did list travel time so pool is relevant for that.
    I did mention the pool # I used when putting in the trawler info I got, just to give complete info, not that it made a difference

There are certain things that work on a level 6 boat that don't on the other levels. I wonder if that ties in at all somehow with the timing differences? I don't know how, but stranger things have coincided ;)

The main difference I am thinking of is when loading boats for speed travel (by using 'Fish Caught Per Hour', and 'Travel Speed' persons only. Only on a level 6 boat, once you've added the max # of "Fish Caught Per Hour", you can also add some coolers and additional "Fish Caught Per Hour" people to increase the catch without increasing the time. This only works on level 6 boats. Normally coolers need {Victor or equivalent} to add capacity, but not in this example. Like I said, it seems unrelated, but it is another difference with Level 6 boats than other levels.
    Regarding chum, I have found the rate increase is only half (or worse) of what is published in the game.  Thus:
    • Chum with a "Catching Speed Bonus" of 10% actually only increases the rate by 5%
    • A 15% bonus is really only 7% (exact)
    • A 20% bonus is really only 10%
    • A 25% bonus is really only 12% (exact)
    It's like the game halved the bonus and truncated the result to an integer.

Here are some examples using the published bonus (assume there are more fish in the pool than the capacity of the boat):
    • Level 6 Skipjack, 6 Nancy, 0 Fish Chum (capacity is 105 fish; fishing rate before chum is 58 fish/hour); Fishing Time is 1:48:37 (matching in game and by calculations)
    • Level 6 Skipjack, 6 Nancy, 1 Fish Chum; Fishing Time is 1:43:26 in game, 1:38:44 by calculations
    • Level 6 Skipjack, 6 Nancy, 2 Fish Chum; Fishing Time is 1:38:44 in game, 1:30:31 by calculations
    • Level 6 Runabout, 5 Paul, 0 Chum (capacity is 22 fish; fishing rate before chum is 27 fish/hour; note we are fishing in a Swordfish/Salmon/Cod pool); Fishing Time is 0:48:53 (matching in game and by calculations)
    • Level 6 Runabout, 5 Paul, 1 Lobster Chum; Fishing Time is 0:43:39 in game, 0:39:06 by calculations
    • Level 6 Runabout, 5 Paul, 2 Lobster Chum; Fishing Time is 0:39:25 in game, 0:32:35 by calculations
    The equation for all of these examples should be:

(Fishing Time)= (Boat Capacity)/((1+(Chum Bonus))*(Fishing Rate))

where (Fishing Time) is in hours, (Boat Capacity) is in fish, (Chum Bonus) is a percentage/decimal, and (Fishing Rate) is in fish/hour.

If you use the actual percentages I listed earlier and not the published ones, the game's times and calculations match.

Everyone should be able to do these same tests of the game.  Note, it is necessary to have enough fishermen in the boat to reduce the time to below the boat's own maximum fishing time so you can see something other than that maximum time.  Also, you should test this on boats with reliable fishing times, like level 6 Runabouts and level 6 Skipjacks.  For boats with unreliable fishing times (this so far includes level 4 Skipjacks, level 1 Trawlers, and level 6 Trawlers), the results will still be close, but harder to tell.  I do not yet have a complete list of what boats/levels have reliable or unreliable times.

It would be nice if the game either corrected what is published for the "Catching Speed Bonus", or corrected the programming to match what is published.
    I hadn't asked for the pool for the trawlers eg, that was on the skipjack comment, which you did list travel time so pool is relevant for that.
    I did mention the pool # I used when putting in the trawler info I got, just to give complete info, not that it made a difference

There are certain things that work on a level 6 boat that don't on the other levels. I wonder if that ties in at all somehow with the timing differences? I don't know how, but stranger things have coincided ;)

The main difference I am thinking of is when loading boats for speed travel (by using 'Fish Caught Per Hour', and 'Travel Speed' persons only. Only on a level 6 boat, once you've added the max # of "Fish Caught Per Hour", you can also add some coolers and additional "Fish Caught Per Hour" people to increase the catch without increasing the time. This only works on level 6 boats. Normally coolers need {Victor or equivalent} to add capacity, but not in this example. Like I said, it seems unrelated, but it is another difference with Level 6 boats than other levels.
    Sorry about the misunderstanding with the pools.  You said "in your examples", so I took it to mean all of them.  I think we are on the right page now.

Note that ninjahuman indicated that he has the same time issues with his level 6 Trawlers as I did with my level 1 Trawlers.

I'm not sure what you mean about differences between level 6 boats and other levels.  I can add "Fish Caught Per Hour" (what I tend to refer to as 'fishermen', as they have the nets and due to their affect on the boat) to all the slots on my level 6 Skipjacks and level 6 Runabouts, and the game doesn't complain.  As far as I know, all the boats work the same way regardless of level.  Can you give a specific example so I understand?

@nuke9104 (US1)
    is there a chance that when your dockyard calculator did not add time for adding 1 Victor, that perhaps the "use recommended" box might have inadvertently been changed to "Y"

In the original Trawler examples, there were enough fishermen (Roy) to reduce the Fishing Time to under the boat's maximum Fishing Time of 1:45:00.  One way to look at that is once they've gotten all the fish they could store, it's time to go home.  Adding a Victor only increases the amount of time the boat could stay out fishing by 4 hours to 5:45:00.  Since the Fishing Time is already under the maximum, adding a Victor shouldn't affect when the boat goes home in this situation.  I believe the calculator is accurate, and I find it very odd that the game not only comes up with an alternate time, but two different ones when faced with effectively the same situation.
    As an example, I took a level 6 trawler and looked at a pool with over 195 fish. I used 6 Roys which pushes the fish caught per hour up to 75 and the natural capacity is 195. This suggests that the fishing time itself should be 2 hours and 36 minutes as 2.6*75=195. But if I just have those 6 Roys and nothing else, it is suggesting that the fishing time should be 2:36:11. If I add 1 Victor into the crew, the fishing time now reduces to 2:36:04. 2 or 3 Victors take it to 2:36:02 and 4-6 Victors takes it to 2:36:01. At that point, I cannot add any more crew.

What I observed here is that for each additional Victor I added, the difference between the calculated fishing time and the actual fishing time decreased.

I think it depends on how far you want to push this though. There appears to be some faults with the system GGS has and on a practical level, unless players are extremely active, they will not usually be at the dockyard the exact moment the boat returns in order to benefit from the small time difference. For example, I would usually send crew combinations that take 2 hours and 54 minutes or less to return to the dockyard during the day and something that would be somewhat simple compared to most other options would be to check it 3 hours after I sent them out.
    @ninjahuman (AU1), thanks for the details.  I get similar results for the 'unreliable' boats I tested.  At this point, I don't feel the need to duplicate GGS's faults in the calculator as the difference is small, and I think it will be close enough (the engineer in me).  I'm forging ahead, though I may make a list of the 'unreliable' boats along the way.
Sign In to comment.