Home EN Suggestions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

SUGGESTION: Deep Sea Fishing danger should be better - ship damage etc possible

Rusty Farmer (AU1)Rusty Farmer (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,705
edited 13.06.2017 in Suggestions

Let me start by saying I love the new Deep Sea Fishing addition.

However, there are some a couple of ideas which I feel are underdeveloped. In this thread, I want to address the danger aspect.

Currently there is no real motive to use boat slots to protect from any danger. If disaster happens to strike, there is a one-off penalty and it appears to be a loss of a small proportion of fish, not enough to be concerned about. So here is what I propose.

When disaster strikes, depending of the type of disaster, it causes various types of damage plus a loss of boat hit points. Each boat level would have certain number of hit points. If all the hit points of a boat level are destroyed, the boat drops a level. When a boat returns to the dock, repairs can be made there which, of course, uses the construction slot. It is always cheaper to repair a damaged boat than to have to have to fully upgrade again.

For instance, let's take the example of a level 6 trawler. To upgrade from level 5 to 6 is just over 50M. Let's say each level of the trawler has 5 hit points (this might vary depending on boat type, perhaps the smaller boats could have the advantage of more hit points). If a level 6 trawler comes back with less than a full 5 hit points damage, it might only cost 50% less to repair than a full upgrade, so each hit point may only cost 5M to repair so you may not want to delay repairs. These are only proposed figures BTW.

If a level 1 boats lost all its hit points, the boat would sink.

In addition to losing hit points, there could also be damage based on the type of disaster. Here are my suggestions.

• Storms - 2 hit points of damage
  • Sharks - A loss of ALL fish, the sharks eat them up, waste of a trip but no hit point damage
  • Whirlwinds - Fishing time cut by 50% (permanent until repaired) plus 1 hit point damage
  • Icebergs - Loss of 1 work/cargo slot plus 1 hit point damage
  • Octopuses - Those nuisance arms cause 50% damage to engine slowing speed down (permanent until repaired) plus 1 hit point damage

You can continue to use boats without making repairs but any further damage is accumulated. For instance, if the engine is further damaged by an octopus attack, causing another 50% damage, the engine now only runs at 25% efficiency.

When a boat loses a level, hit points are restored to maximum at the lower level but other damage remains. The hit points and other damage are repaired separately. For instance, the damaged worker slots could have an "X" through them but a little repair icon and so on. Everything takes time and money and the construction slot to repair.

To make things more interesting, I would also like to see more variety to the percentages for each type of danger. Currently they are all the same. If it says 21% danger for one, then it is the same for all at present. I would like to see something like 12% danger for storms, 7% for sharks, 26% whirlwinds and so on, different and random each time. Then we have to calculate some real strategy. Do I risk damage to the boat or loss of fish, or not chance it. Which danger is more important to protect?

Post edited by Rusty Farmer (AU1) on

Comments

• copymouse (INT1)copymouse (INT1) INT1 Posts: 61
  • Corvid (GB1)Corvid (GB1) GB1 Posts: 625
    ?????

let's nuke the fields and send hurricanes into the sheds while were at it and have gangs of brats raiding the orchards
  • Seeker1 (US1)Seeker1 (US1) US1 Posts: 571
    Those are some great ideas, probably could make an entirely separate game based on it.  But it could be a bit too complex;  I wonder how much time it would take for the developers to program it all.

I was thinking more along the lines: if an unprotected incident were to occur, then the boat would require a "repair time" before it was able to leave the dock again, similar to when you get pranked and have to repair it. 

• Rusty Farmer (AU1)Rusty Farmer (AU1) AU1 Posts: 1,705
    edited 13.06.2017
    Those are some great ideas, probably could make an entirely separate game based on it.  But it could be a bit too complex;  I wonder how much time it would take for the developers to program it all.

I was thinking more along the lines: if an unprotected incident were to occur, then the boat would require a "repair time" before it was able to leave the dock again, similar to when you get pranked and have to repair it. 

I like this as a simpler solution. Right now, there isn't enough punishment/incentive to protect the boat which is my main point. I'd still the disaster percentages for each one to be different per hole, and also for there to be different effects depending on the disaster otherwise they're all much the same.
  • JVD (US1)JVD (US1) US1 Posts: 2,784
    no thank you... the  loss of fish is plenty of penalty for me! really don't want to load up all my slots with penalty protection items. Sometimes what I do put on works and get all my fish, sometimes I get hit with a different disaster than I have protected for and lose fish!!! That is enough!!! IMHO
    You don't lose al the fish though do you? It seems too much like a lottery at the moment, what to protect from, when all the percentages are the same. I would rather add the extra workers or freezers and take the risk right now. Where's the strategy?
  • Currently there is no real motive to use boat slots to protect from any danger. If disaster happens to strike, there is a one-off penalty and it appears to be a loss of a small proportion of fish, not enough to be concerned about. 

@Rusty Farmer (AU1) The penalty is 10% of your fish, so if you have 3 types of fish that will be 10% of each, this may not seem much, but if you were hit by multiple hazards, you would lose 10% for each, so it could, potentially, be quite a severe loss, of up to half your catch.:(
  • Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557
    JVD (US1) said:
    no thank you... the  loss of fish is plenty of penalty for me! really don't want to load up all my slots with penalty protection items. Sometimes what I do put on works and get all my fish, sometimes I get hit with a different disaster than I have protected for and lose fish!!! That is enough!!! IMHO

Completely agree with JVD: no thank you! 
  • tessa17 (US1)tessa17 (US1) US1 Posts: 106
    So to send out a Level 6 Skipjack  I would need to use 5 of the 12 slots to make sure the boat was protected?
    That doesn't leave very many fish and you may as well just remove that step and make an option to buy coverage for a certain amount of money.  It takes long enough to load these boats as it is now.
    Good money but it does take up time as your fleet grows.
  • dchen1 (US1)dchen1 (US1) US1 Posts: 993
    The boats are like buildings on a permanent farm, they cannot be destroyed.  Boats and upgrades will stay unless the player wants to demolish it.
  • Seeker1 (US1)Seeker1 (US1) US1 Posts: 571
    edited 13.06.2017
    The boats are like buildings on a permanent farm, they cannot be destroyed.  Boats and upgrades will stay unless the player wants to demolish it.
    Yep, I would royally POed if a boat went missing. This ain't "Deadiest Catch" we're playing here...hehehehe LOL  :D   Imagine if there were farm-based incidents like tornadoes, drought, and insect infestation that plagued our farms!!!
  • Let me start by saying I love the new Deep Sea Fishing addition.

However, there are some a couple of ideas which I feel are underdeveloped. In this thread, I want to address the danger aspect.

Currently there is no real motive to use boat slots to protect from any danger. If disaster happens to strike, there is a one-off penalty and it appears to be a loss of a small proportion of fish, not enough to be concerned about. So here is what I propose.

When disaster strikes, depending of the type of disaster, it causes various types of damage plus a loss of boat hit points. Each boat level would have certain number of hit points. If all the hit points of a boat level are destroyed, the boat drops a level. When a boat returns to the dock, repairs can be made there which, of course, uses the construction slot. It is always cheaper to repair a damaged boat than to have to have to fully upgrade again.

For instance, let's take the example of a level 6 trawler. To upgrade from level 5 to 6 is just over 50M. Let's say each level of the trawler has 5 hit points (this might vary depending on boat type, perhaps the smaller boats could have the advantage of more hit points). If a level 6 trawler comes back with less than a full 5 hit points damage, it might only cost 50% less to repair than a full upgrade, so each hit point may only cost 5M to repair so you may not want to delay repairs. These are only proposed figures BTW.

In addition to losing hit points, there could also be damage based on the type of disaster. Here are my suggestions.

• Sharks - A loss of ALL fish, the sharks eat them up, waste of a trip but no hit point damage
    • Whirlwinds - Fishing time cut by 50% (permanent until repaired) plus 1 hit point damage
    • Octopuses - Those nuisance arms cause 50% damage to engine slowing speed down (permanent until repaired) plus 1 hit point damage

You can continue to use boats without making repairs but any further damage is accumulated. For instance, if the engine is further damaged by an octopus attack, causing another 50% damage, the engine now only runs at 25% efficiency.

When a boat loses a level, hit points are restored to maximum at the lower level but other damage remains. The hit points and other damage are repaired separately. For instance, the damaged worker slots could have an "X" through them but a little repair icon and so on. Everything takes time and money and the construction slot to repair.

To make things more interesting, I would also like to see more variety to the percentages for each type of danger. Currently they are all the same. If it says 21% danger for one, then it is the same for all at present. I would like to see something like 12% danger for storms, 7% for sharks, 26% whirlwinds and so on, different and random each time. Then we have to calculate some real strategy. Do I risk damage to the boat or loss of fish, or not chance it. Which danger is more important to protect?

Wow.... As if GGs doesn't snuff us out of enough, you want to ADD things they take away?? 

PLEASE DISREGARD THE ENTIRE POST BY THE LOVELY PERSON WHO STARTED THIS THREAD!!! THANK YOU!!!  The Deepsea fishing is just FINE the way it is!  FIX THE BUGS THAT AREN'T FINE FIRST!
  • dchen1 (US1)dchen1 (US1) US1 Posts: 993
    10% penalty for each disaster is already enough.  
    My suggestion is that the disaster protection items can be changed so that it works for specific boats and more effective protection on the right boat.  Protection items designed for higher level boats such as trawler get protection from more types of disaster than items designed for lower level boats such as motorboat.  
  • Dark Underworld (AU1)Dark Underworld (AU1) AU1 Posts: 2,992
    edited 14.06.2017
    I would actually like to see that you could upgrade boat to add more slots just for protection.  There is no way I would use any normal slots for protection.  Each boat could have up to  5 upgrades for these slots, similar to buying bucket for Oleg fishing, but buy protection slots for each boat.  If this does not happen then there is no use ever buying the protection.

1st slot would be $2M or gold
    2nd $5M or gold
    3rd   $15M or gold
    4th   $25M or gold
    5th   $50M or gold

These figures are just suggestions on what could be, it is also another chance for gold use and cost would be per boat
    . @WascallyWabbit
    I would never buy protection slots as mentioned above!!! Why do we want to change this? it is new and it is a wonderful part of the game... I am building cash to upgrade many items on my farms etc.

Let's fix what is broken in the game before you make it cost us more for something that is already a good thing! IMHO
  • Dark Underworld (AU1)Dark Underworld (AU1) AU1 Posts: 2,992
    edited 14.06.2017
    @JVD (US1)  do you  use any protection?

I love the new fishing as well.  But I will never use the protection as it is not viable and most I have spoken to never use it as well.  The only way to use protection is to give them their own slots.

You would not have to buy the slots if you don't want them, they would be optional upgrades for each boat

edited 14.06.2017
    @Byron Longford (AU1)  I think that is a question that should be asked privately and after you get to know me better.... LOL
  • maxiroy (US1)maxiroy (US1) US1 Posts: 436
    Sorry, not a fan of this at all.  Having to rebuild boats and losing all your catch???  Reminds me of those games where you wake up and your village has been pillaged.  
  • GazFarmer (AU1)GazFarmer (AU1) AU1 Posts: 92
    Love the dock , for the first time I have enough money to give temp farms a good whack.
       I would like to see an icon in the boat description.
    After you name the boat it is hard to know what type of boat it is.
       I know I should be able to remember what boat I clicked on, but when you are going flat out it is hard to remember everything. Especially if you have memory like a sieve , like me , thanx
  • Corvid (GB1)Corvid (GB1) GB1 Posts: 625
    to be fair to GGs they all have a very distinctive look and now you can see their level after being named by hovering over them with your mouse

until you visually recall their types, you can check here if you're in any doubt as to what type of boat you're looking at

http://crazybigfarm.tk/farm/dockyard/dockyard.htm
    If they need to "adjust" DSF, maybe this suggestion makes more sense now.

• artful (US1)artful (US1) US1 Posts: 6,617
    mmmmmmm .... NO!
    edited 08.08.2017
    Ah well, I tried. So it's dead in the water now is it?
    Post edited by Rusty Farmer (AU1) on
  • artful (US1)artful (US1) US1 Posts: 6,617
    Let's hope.  Most of us signed up for a relaxing farming game, not a high-speed-Nascar-grand-theft-auto-warning-Will-Robinsons thingy.  We get it.  You maxed out and need excitement.  The rest of us?  Not so much. :)
  • Lady_Muck (AU1)Lady_Muck (AU1) AU1 Posts: 69
    OMG, some people on here seem to have a death wish!
    What next?
    If we get hit by a bomb we are dead and have to stop playing?
    Seriously, the game costs enough money already, and as a pensioner I have to decide which part of the game I want to play at any given time. If I need any more gold I might need to nuke myself.

• Uncle John (GB1)Uncle John (GB1) GB1 Posts: 11,004
    @Rusty Farmer (AU1)  said "Currently there is no real motive to use boat slots to protect from any danger. If disaster happens to strike, there is a one-off penalty and it appears to be a loss of a small proportion of fish, not enough to be concerned about."

This far I agreed with him. I see the problem being that the risk of each danger is always the same. One can't lose 5 slots to protections but there is no reason to choose one of them over the others. If the risk each of the 5 dangers was randomised seperately one would have a choice of what level of risk one wished to accept balanced against how many slots one wished to use up.

• PCA (GB1)PCA (GB1) GB1 Posts: 839
    edited 08.08.2017

It seems to me that people are apologizing for having a healthy profit and wish to be hit with some kind of E-disaster to curtail the shameful cash flow

It would be much easier to introduce a fuel charge, which is a very real expense in the shipping business.  The longer the distance, the bigger the boat, the heavier the cargo, and the more costly the fuel

If we go on imagining disasters, then maybe we should ask for rain that destroys wheat just prior to harvest. And why not, pests and parasites that make our fruit impossible to sell.  How about closing down the green house for disinfection, a penalty payment issued by the FDA for water contamination, and so on and so forth

But these programmers are not really interested in developing a farming game anymore, or there would be no issue of "too high profits".  Profit could simply be used to buy a very expensive new item (or new set of items) 

But none of the above seems good enough as a solution: we will have to take our hands off farm cash to fill our pockets with tokens. Yes tokens, in the eyes of these programmers tokens are the newest farming technology  LOL

• Let me start by saying I love the new Deep Sea Fishing addition.

This is a farming game if you want to destroy boats you need to find a war game and leave our boats alone . Because most of us is here to make money to level up not to desyroy.
  • This is a farming game if you want to destroy boats go find a war game. Most of us is here to make money and level up our farms. Not to destroy it.
  • Damaria3 (US1)Damaria3 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,737
    I agree absolutely NO NO NO  to any ideas of repairs and losing ships @Rusty Farmer (AU1)  someone must have spiked yr punch, or you ate too much sugar.

It would be much easier to introduce a fuel charge, which is a very real expense in the shipping business.  The longer the distance, the bigger the boat, the heavier the cargo, and the more costly the fuel
    But these programmers are not really interested in developing a farming game anymore, or there would be no issue of "too high profits".  Profit could simply be used to buy a very expensive new item (or new set of items)  as said by @PCA (GB1)

We are already being charged to add the people freezers  protection  ect  and now you want to add a fuel charge GEEZ.   I have not seen one thing written by programmers that say they have an issue with "too high of profits"  all that was said was they were bringing out a fish market,    While there are a lot of people here expecting the worst am going to wait till something official is written before i get bent out of shape. That being said i sold off all but 1000 of each my fish cause when pichu did not refute the changing of prices it does seem like something stinkier than fish is coming. 

Sign In to comment.