Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Why not have events optional?

darconio2darconio2 Posts: 151
The events seem to be more bother than they are worth to many of us, and I'm seeing many who think they are too time consuming.

Why not have it optional so those wishing to sit out don't need to be bothered by it?

Example: In recent event those not participating had to bypass the first seed page to find wheat every time as some sort of beanstalk option was forced down our throats.

The lady in tent running event could simply sell beans to any interested and save us the headache.

Also the progress indicator quest log was always on top even when we changed levels. There should be option to delete it or at least move it to bottom.

Then you still end up with breadcrumbs and stuff and you really dont want them.

Events should be optional, especially when they require full time attention to the game to complete as many her are complaining about.
Post edited by darconio2 on

Comments

• EricaJ (US1)EricaJ (US1) Posts: 202
    edited 10.06.2013
    The events are entirely optional.

If they were to do as you suggest, I can see the moaning and groaning now...

WHY DIDN'T I GET ROSE SEEDS AND XP FOR COLLECTING CORN?

IF I HAD KNOWN I COULD GET THIS AND THAT JUST FOR DOING THIS AND THAT, I WOULD HAVE DONE IT!

I DID THESE THINGS, WHY DON'T I GET THE SPECIAL REWARDS?

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME I WOULD MISS OUT ON X AND Y AND Z IF I CHOSE NOT TO DO THE EVENT?

etc.

etc.
  • jaystarr2jaystarr2 Posts: 1,657
    edited 11.06.2013
    You always have the option to do what the tasks tell you to do or not.
  • darconio2darconio2 Posts: 151
    edited 11.06.2013
    No. I am pretty sure I had some weird Beanstalk option during the entire ordeal.

I did not ask for this stupid obstacle. Leave the game normal for those opting to play. I buy gold, Im a good customer. Why should my game get buggered up because of some event I want no part of.

People wanting to start it should start it. It is only people who can devote full time that benefit from these.
  • monica79538monica79538 Posts: 1,932
    edited 11.06.2013
    if the next new event that comes--i think would like to opt out if possible. I just would like to farm and try to relax--Let the bugs get worked out and when it comes back--I might try it the 2nd time it appears.
  • aussiefarmgalaussiefarmgal Posts: 228
    edited 11.06.2013
    These events are already optional, you don't have to start or do any of it. Even the beans were optional the entire time, they appeared in with the other seeds but you didn't have to buy them. All you have to do is ignore the pavilion just as you would ignore any other event that you don't want to do, eg prime day, charity drive etc.
  • monica79538monica79538 Posts: 1,932
    edited 11.06.2013
    wasn't there a screen that popped on like the racing farmer add each time you log in if you hadn't accepted the challenge? There was on my WWW! farm and i got fed up with it, so i started the event just to get rid of the sign.
    edited 11.06.2013
    You cant ignore those magic beans. They make you turn a page whenever you want wheat, and there is no way to turn them off.

Also what happened to all my breadcrumbs. I cant sell them or see them. Now Im gonna have cockroaches up in my farm.
    edited 11.06.2013
    Let your chickens out to wander freely, they will eat both the breadcrumbs and the cockroaches! And they will give you nicer eggs from eating free range and organic. :-)

re the beans, if you are sowing wheat on all your fields you only have to turn the page first time, as each field after that will go straight to the page from which you last chose, in this case, page 2 for the wheat.

At first all those extra things arriving on my farm like charity drive, trading floor, prime time etc etc used to annoy me, but now I can ignore them all. The worst ones are the floating ones like the 50% extra gold offers and prime time, but I do like those deals so I can ....tolerate.... them.
    edited 11.06.2013
    I have to turn the page anyway for my wheat so it's no biggie for me. That said, the bean seeds did bugger up my order so I ended up planting wildflowers instead of corn for one rotation, but I don't see that as anyone forcing me to buy bean seeds or anything.
  • camii893camii893 Posts: 251
    edited 12.06.2013
    If it wasn't there you wouldn't have the option - so they wouldn't be very optional now would they?
  • Lilypaddle (INT1)Lilypaddle (INT1) Posts: 614
    edited 12.06.2013
    jaystarr2 wrote: »
    I have to turn the page anyway for my wheat so it's no biggie for me. That said, the bean seeds did bugger up my order so I ended up planting wildflowers instead of corn for one rotation, but I don't see that as anyone forcing me to buy bean seeds or anything.

I do too, so I don't see what the big deal is. No one is being forced to participate in these events or buy beans. Don't press the buy button.
    edited 12.06.2013
    It's like that with your current crops as well, surely. Nobody is forcing you to plant say, corn, or something, but the corn button is there so you don't have the option of not having the corn button there! So you have to play differently since the corn button moves the cabbage and wheat buttons down one line! Oh no!

...So if the objection is that you are being forced to "play differently" because you have to turn the page for your wheat or whatever, but that seems to be such a trivial complaint I would think it wasn't worthy of consideration.
    edited 13.06.2013
    @ Jaystarr,

Having the BEANSTALK for gold option that people need to dodge for a week is annoying.

It is a constant reminder that GGS is trying to TRICK PLAYERS into clicking the plant button they normally associate with flowers.

Some people are not clever enough to distinguish this as a ruse, but It is a constant reminder they are trying to trick us.

Just LEAVE REGULAR GAME PLAY ALONE and I wont gripe about scamming for gold.

Even you clicked on the wrong seeds by mistake so lighten up. Had it been reversed it would have cost you 300 gold for just playing normally.

It was such a blatant trick to get gold it was insulting to the intelligence, although that might not apply to everyone here.

And IT WAS NOT JUST THE PLANTING SCREEN AS YOU SAY.

I keep an eye on my quests and no matter what happens it always puts the event quest in the most prominent spot. Even if you change levels and get more quests you still will have that quest put itself up top again right away.

How hard is it to JOIN an event if you want to. I know many players are too daft to understand where to hire researchers, but if they cannot join they cannot win. That can be their first Challenge.

Also Breadcrumbs. What happens to them. Do I have Breadcrumbs in my barn? I dont see them. Maybe it will attract cockroaches. Sounds unsanitary.

If people are too stupid to learn how to join then they should just fail.
    edited 13.06.2013
    You can only be tricked if you let yourself. You are so quick to judge people and call them stupid when it comes to coops, but when it comes to you having to think before clicking it's about how GGS has it in for you and is trying to scam you for gold.

So much anger directed at people and derogatory comments on them over a game. Get a grip!
    edited 13.06.2013
    I did say,
    Some people are not clever enough to distinguish this as a ruse

@ Maxiroy,
    Well if nobody is dumb enough to fall for it then I have insulted zero people. How is that derogatory?

TY for helping to make a point.

@ Maxiroy,
    Yes. We all know you love everybody and would never talk down about them.

I at least try to get the game so people can learn to hire researchers and donate. You just rather boot them out.
    You say.
    I say just remove them, they are dead weight. You can find lots of other people who are willing to put in time and money.
    and
    If they aren't going to donate now, they won't later on. You are getting no benefit at all from them being part of your coop, but they sure are. In a way you are doing them a favour

So you encourage booting people over teaching them. I think that is far more cruel.

I may use sarcasm to demonstrate that they need to make hiring researchers easier for kids as following a research tab and a pull down tab and clicling on the research somehow the "Research details " button does not scream out "Click here to hire a researcher and pull your weight.

You would rather just boot them with no reason why..

I'd weigh my morals against yours anyday Granny.

Note: She calls herself Granny in her Monicker.

@ everyone,

The point is that the events are too IN YOUR FACE, and it's frustrating if you are one of the few that goes to work or school and cannot farm full time. The last event could not be finished by anyone not dedicating an abnormal amount of hours to the game.

Having tyhe GOLD ONLY option thrust in your face is also annoying.

I have spent over $100 on this game. I am not being cheap. I am saying it is annoying.

It is my suggestion they make it less annoying. Obviously there are many with too much time on their hands and disagree.

I ask you is anyone complaining here that actually SAT OUT LAST EVENT, or do you comment Blithely when you participated and liked it. It seems to me nobody participating can accurately judge the annoyance level of those sitting out so are not qualified to cough up their 2 cents.
    edited 13.06.2013
    I'm so flattered! You are stalking me!
    edited 13.06.2013
    darconio,

You asked for the events to be optional; they are optional. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. You yourself have said you sat out the last event.

As for their placement on the list of tasks - the rest of the tasks are still there - it takes a second to click an extra button.

To say that certain people are not qualified to "cough up their 2 cents" is outright rude and disrespectful.

Also, a reminder that this thread went off topic to discuss researchers in an attempt to insult others. Please refrain from doing that - this may make your argument and point of view more commendable and legitimate.

Yes, the events and everything in the game is optional. You are NEVER forced to do anything.

If you feel that GGS is trying to get you to spend gold, they have repeatedly said that they make the game fair and keep it so that things can still be achieved without the use of gold - this has been proved multiple times.

If a company wants to use certain ways and give great incentives for a monetary contribution to their efforts and to help update and better the game and game play - power to them, that is their right as a company.

As for the annoyance of the beanstalks - yeah, they were a little annoying. I chose not to purchase them because I didn't want to for my own personal reasons - but it is great that it was so easy for people to find who did want to use them.

As for the breadcrumbs and not wanting them - they aren't hurting you - they are virtual breadcrumbs - much like collectables - not everyone is going to want them, because many people choose not to be in a cooperative.

In summary - maybe yes the beans could be sold separately in the tent, but I assume the reason for not doing so was so that players couldn't stock up on an item that was meant to be limited time use only.

For the rest - I think maybe you could learn to deal with the occasional differences in the game?
    edited 13.06.2013
    @ Maxiroy,
    I can count the number of posters here without taking off my shoes. That bit about just kicking people out is something I am opposed to and have started a thread about. I dislike that people get kicked out because they cannot figure out the game. So YES I haveseen you around. Not as much as people like Astrogek. I found your comments sad, although many here also think to kick first and try to teach them second.

@ Camii 893

The point I make about researchers has been made on other threads and likely will join discussions for quite a while.

I was forced to kick out a few people because despite constant mailing, and repetitive telling them how to hire researchers they could not figure it out. It is sort of Childproof.

I had one person come crying back to me and begging me to take them back.

So you may think my position harsh, but I have endeavored to make hiring researchers easier so there will be less hurt feelings and crying kids in the future.

AT LEAST IM MAKING THIS EFFORT.

So yes. I am often harsh on people sticking in their 2 cents. I am also harsh on people who say kick first and ask questions later.

TOO BAD.

I am trying to help little children for crying out loud.. Ease up.

I've spent more than $100 on the game. My water tower alone probably cost $40. I deserve to have a say if I think something is annoying.

I have tried to help little kids with this thread. It may be a bit sardonic, but it gets the messagea across.
    This is thread on that...
    http://en.board.goodgamestudios.com/bigfarm/showthread.php?64433-Teach-or-Make-hiring-researchers-easier.
    This thread I give GGS a better way to make gold than selling beanstalks.
    http://en.board.goodgamestudios.com/bigfarm/showthread.php?67127-The-price-of-money-in-game.

So I am trying to save a few tears on the faces of the kids that play here.. Sue me.

I still say thoise beanstalks were annoying ...

THEY ARE ALSO 20 TIMES AS ANNOYING FOR ANYONE ABOVE LVL 20 WHO would be insulted by the idea of trading that much golg for $5k.

So... If I go off topic it is not to insult but bring up another game flaw that I find disturbing. If it makes kids cry it is not a great thing.

If I am harsh on people who refer to these innocents as "dead weight" , then it is likely better than they deserve in my opinion.

You say it is rude and disrespectful to say those not sitting out should not comment as they enjoyed the vent and all its pomp, and I say it is rude for them to comment.You PARTICIPATED in the event and you still said,
    As for the annoyance of the beanstalks - yeah, they were a little annoying. I chose not to purchase them because I didn't want to for my own personal reasons

now IMAGINE if you were not participating.

I think everyone commenting participated so should void their answers (to be polite)
    edited 13.06.2013
    daronio,

I never said that your opinion was not valid. I value everyone equally.

You bring up valid points - but I do not feel that they are great, and you also discredited certain opinions on the matter based on something - that's really wrong.

I have a cooperative where we will try to work through people doing certain things until they get it - the only time we will remove people is if they are not on for 2 days without telling us or not responding to requirements set out by the co-op. We then have a vote on if they should stay or not.

I am all for helping - What I am saying is to keep this thread on topic and to value others opinions (regardless of who they are).

This will give the developers a clear view on the suggestions put forward from their players.

You also summed up everything we have all been saying to you in your own comment in another post as below :)
    darconio2 wrote: »
    People will either buy it or not. At least it is an option. If you don't think it is worth it, then don't buy it. Simple as that. No one is forcing you to.

Safe to say that the event was a great OPTION and the developers can safely know that they now know that no one is forcing you to buy it.
    edited 13.06.2013
    @ Camii 893,
    Too late, Too many "2 cents" have already destroyed this thread.

I run a co-op and would allow a month of offline time before kicking. 2 days is insane.

I will not value the opinion in a "sitting out thread" and what people "sitting out" find annoying when the responses come from people with castles on their farm. They are not valid and should be deleted.

In a court that would be considered Bias. How could they know what anybody sitting out feels? Why should their opinions matter. They should all just delete their posts before clicking save and move on, but noooooo. Too many busy bodies.

I especially devalue opinions of those who go against my opinions from other threads. I dislike the "deadweight" profile and "kick first" attitudes.

I have started a few threads.
    a) hire researchers easier - Yes this will save kids from getting booted by Granny.
    b) Have trading gold for cash graduated so a level 50 can spend $14 and get at least 4 million and not some small amount. I guarantee nobody at high levels will pay $14 for 500k. It needs to be based on levels and GGS will make tons more gold.
    c) and this thread.
    Why remind me I work for a living and cannot participate everytime I want to relax. Why have a beanstalk offer that grows a gold crop into $5k. I sneeze 5k at my lvl. It also seems like a trick. Leave those opting out alone.

Those are all good and valid threads. I think it is rude for people who participated to come here and voice their "deal with it" attitudes. I could be much "ruder" if I voiced how I truly felt about them.
    edited 13.06.2013
    darconio,

1. Please keep the threads to topic
    2. Please refrain from personal attacks and insults
    3. Please learn to value others opinions
    4. I will comment in relation to the threads if you could kindly add a link to said threads in your previous post so that I may comment there to keep the threads to topic. I have read said posts and do not feel that any further comments will make any difference to the view point you have or that I have anything further to add to the discussion. As per the 2 days offline - I am not going to keep a diary of how long they haven't been online for - Part of being in a team is communication and I ask they communicate with me if they will be offline - if they can't do this then they aren't really contributing to the team or giving the respect of communication - if there is a serious issue and they message me later I will assess this.

5. As for the not participating comment. All players of this game play the game and all players of the games opinion should be respected. If you can't do that please stop posting so as to avoid arguments. I didn't participate in the purchasing of beanstalks and found them a little annoying but it wasn't hard to click a button. Like you have previously said - if you don't want to buy them - don't.

Thanks.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 106,969
    edited 13.06.2013
    Play nice guys or this thread will close and there will be no more discussion

And keep this to discussion on the topic. Argue and give counter arguments. Do not attack individuals

Everyone has a valid opinion and is entitled to give it here.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 106,969
    edited 13.06.2013
    And my personal 2 cents:

I would like those who sat it out to give their opinion why that sat it out. It seems to me that their 2 cents worth is probably 5 cents worth as they kind of prove it was optional. But mainly I'm curous why they chose to actively sit it out

I took part because it took no effort. I may have done things in a different order than I would have but I did nothing I wouldn't have done any way. Nothing specially for the event. If I won a Tower well, good, but if I didn't I got a lot of freebies at each stage anyway
    edited 13.06.2013
    I had a co-op member who participated in the event right up until he was to provide apples - at this point he decided that he did not want to provide the apples wanted and stopped participating. He did not find it annoying at all.

Actually - I had two co-op members who did the same thing.
    edited 13.06.2013
    Castle or not, participant or not, everyone has the right to express an opinion and their opinion is equally valid.

I am in Camii's coop and I would like to assure you that Camii does not just kick out someone who hasn't been online for 2 days and made no contact. In fact, we have just experienced this occurring last week due to a member having internet problems unknown to the remaining coop. Camii, and the rest of our coop were all very concerned about how this player was, knowing that something must be wrong. Not once ever did Camii or anyone suggest that this player be kicked out. He is an excellent leader and team player and helpful to all our new - and older - members.

Darconio, if you are sneezing $5k, I am coming to visit you, lol.
    edited 13.06.2013
    Requiring players to indicate their participation in a multi-step event at its commencement is requiring them to make an uninformed decision. They don't know what they will need to do along the way, or what other rewards and benefits they may receive via participation.

Presenting the event as an opt-in choice makes it appear to be a much greater commitment than they typically are. Most of the event tasks are completed by simply operating your farm... and as long as they are available, they are optional. Making them unavailable - by removing them from the UI - removes the option for the player.

Allowing players to enter or exit the event at any time in its duration would present an entirely different set of issues to address. For example:
    - Player completes first 2 tasks, and starts 3rd task of collecting butterflies. Player collects 30/100 butterflies, and decides to opt out. A few hours later, the player chooses to opt back in to the event. At this point: Does the player have to start back at the beginning of the event, the beginning of task 3, or from where they left off, with 30/100 butterflies collected?

Overall, it sounds like non-trivial design, development, QA work of very limited benefit. There are, imho, many other places to spend dev cycles that would bring much greater benefit to a broader segment of the player base.
    edited 13.06.2013
    Requiring players to indicate their participation in a multi-step event at its commencement is requiring them to make an uninformed decision. They don't know what they will need to do along the way, or what other rewards and benefits they may receive via participation.
    What happened to surprises and anticipation. I, and I know others, enjoy not knowing what is coming next. It is exciting. I love these events. If you want to know, go and have a look at the forum, users post about each task in detail. The rewards are made clear in respects of the decorations. Other rewards along the way are bonuses,[and a pleasant surprise] and I think GGS are very generous with these. I would do the events just for the decorations alone.
    Presenting the event as an opt-in choice makes it appear to be a much greater commitment than they typically are.
    Not so, you can opt out as easily as you opt in. Some in our coop chose to do that when they reached a task they did not wish to do.
    Does the player have to start back at the beginning of the event, the beginning of task 3, or from where they left off, with 30/100 butterflies collected?
    You continue from where you were up to, you don't lose what you have already collected for a task.
    There are, imho, many other places to spend dev cycles that would bring much greater benefit to a broader segment of the player base.
    Naturally we all have our own opinion. My reading of the forums and in discussion with others though indicate that the majority are in favour of these events and enjoy them, even if they chose not to complete the whole event.

I hope we have many more such events to come, and I look forward to repeating those we have had in the future.
  • cedie3 (US1)cedie3 (US1) US1 Posts: 183
    edited 13.06.2013
    darconio--Are you saying that those who did not participate in the last event had visual evidence of the event appear on their farms? Like--the bread crumbs?
    edited 13.06.2013
    All I've gotten so far in terms of arguments for opting into events is that "the bean seed bag is annoying".

Really? That's not a very good argument for overall opting into events.

I didn't buy any beans. But I also dealt with the fact that that bag was there for a week. If you don't like beans, nobody was forcing you to buy them obviously, and at the very most you were forced to turn one page to get to your wheat. But overall the fact that you were minimally inconvenienced by having to turn a page to get to your wheat doesn't seem like a good reason to change the format of an event. This is what I was talking about in my previous post, if that was not clear at the time.
    edited 13.06.2013
    What happened to surprises and anticipation. I, and I know others, enjoy not knowing what is coming next.

I agree, and would not want TMI given when an event starts.

But if this thread's suggestion were to be implemented - and players needed to opt-in or opt-out of an event - they may be asked to make an uninformed decision on the spot.

Presumably, opting-out would mean that everything related to the event is removed from the UI, which is what I believe the OP is suggesting. Since tasks are always optional, I think that showing all players the tasks so they can freely choose whether to do them - as is done now - is a much better way to go.
    Not so, you can opt out as easily as you opt in. Some in our coop chose to do that when they reached a task they did not wish to do.

As it stands, yes.

But if the suggestion made in this thread were implemented, that could change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file