Login Problems? Click here for help!

HTML5 FAQ (Updated 30th January)

CM_HunterCM_Hunter Posts: 448Community Manager
edited 01.02.2019 in Tutorials and FAQs

Hello farmers,

Our final switch to HTML5 is now done and we’re happy to have all of you on board for the ride! The decision to upgrade to HTML5 and leave Flash behind is one that has been out of our hands since Flash is soon to be deactivated as an outdated technology. Today you are “only” asked to allow Flash on a website any time you visit it, by July 2019 browsers like Chrome will automatically disable Flash and you will have to change something in the browser settings to make it work. By 2020 Adobe will completely stop the support for this software. As we are still bringing new farmers to the game it was very important to us to have the switch to HTML5 done before July 2019, so we still have a chance, to attract new farmers without them having to fiddle around with their browser settings. Another reason to switch as soon as possible was to avoid additional effort in maintaining two versions (Flash & HTML5) at a time: it’s not only double the effort in testing and bug fixing, but also a lot of additional technical steps that have to happen in the whole process to a tested playable version. All in all you also benefit from saving that effort, as we can focus on bug fixing for one version and take less time to work on changes and features.

We would like to do a final roundup for HTML5 and bring all the loose ends together. This is why in this announcement you will find all your most pressing questions answered:

Troubleshooting

If you have any issues with HTML5, please check out this troubleshooting section!

Common Known Issues

• Speed/ performance issues: If you are using Edge, please try switching to Chrome, Firefox or Opera. You can also read some general troubleshooting tips for speed issues below in our guide. We are working on speed and performance improvements and hope to alleviate issues for our users.
  • Font visibility issues/ blurry graphics: Reports are coming in from players about the size of fonts and readability issues due to blurry fonts, as well as blurry graphics. You can try to increase the browser zoom level a little (Windows:Ctrl + and Ctrl -, Mac: ⌘ + and ⌘ -) but we are working in resolving readability and blur problems. If this isn’t effective for you, please see below for some additional steps under the heading ‘Some text/images are blurry or fuzzy, what can I do?’
  • Touchscreen navigation: Users on touchscreen devices (including touchscreen PC/laptops and mobile devices) are unable to scroll around the farm. Although we do not directly support touch screen devices on Big Farm we are considering if and how we can do anything to resolve this.

Some text/images are blurry or fuzzy, what can I do?

Blurry assets have been reported by some users in the HTML5 version and we are currently working on a fix for this issue, with progress going very well! If you have already tried increasing the zoom level on your browser, as described above in the troubleshooting section, and it has not been effective for you you can also try the following steps for Windows 10 computers.

• Go to the desktop and click with the right mouse button
  • In the menu that appears, click on ‘Display settings’

• In the Display menu, locate the section titled ‘Scale and layout’, then find the ‘Custom scaling’ option and click on this.

• In the new menu, enter a value between 100-500, representing the zoom percentage and click ‘Apply’, if you want to alter this again follow the same steps and try a different value in the text field

• Please note, if you have already zoomed your browser in and also then add this step on top you may find it zoomed too much. Try setting your browser back to 100% zoom (using Ctrl - or clicking the magnifier icon and setting back to 100%)

This step is a temporary solution and you can always return to these instructions to set the zoom level back to what it was previously. We already have a fix being worked on for this issue; though it is not yet complete we hope blurry assets will soon be a thing of the past. In the meantime, try the above steps to make your play experience a little more comfortable for you until then.

The game graphics/ assets don’t load as intended, what can I do?

In case you just started the game, but there are no graphic assets shown or they don’t load properly, please be so kind and press “F5” in order to reload your browser. This should fix the most common issues related to missing or not loaded graphic assets.

I’m having issues with lags, what can I do?

You always have the option to deactivate animations and reduce the quality when you’re experiencing any performance issues with your game. This might help with lags and freezes. To do that open the “options”-menu, which can be found in the right upper corner of your screen, select “settings” and untick the box for “animations” and set a lower quality, “medium” or “low” for instance.

In addition it might help to clear the cache and delete the cookies from your browsers to achieve a better performance. Further instructions how to do that can be found here.

I have problems logging in, what can I do?

At first please assure you’re using the correct URL http://www.bigfarm.goodgamestudios.com/ and no other because that will most likely cause issues (partnerside links of course excluded). If you made sure you’re using the correct link, please check if clearing your cache and deleting your cookies does the trick. It is also always a good option to try using different browsers to further identify the issue. If none of the above options work, we’d recommend contacting our support or leaving a comment in the forum with your issue. Like this, our team gets informed and we can further investigate the issue.

My small chat window is showing the oldest messages available instead of the newest ones, what can I do?

In this case you can easily click on your chat window and it will update itself to the most recent messages.

Browser

Which browsers are recommended for HTML5?

HTML5 is a technology that should work well in any supported browser you choose. If you are not sure if your browser supports HTML5 please check the software developer’s website for more details. While you should be able to use any browser, we recommend using the most up-to-date version of either Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Opera. We specifically advise to not use the Internet Explorer. Find further explanations on the reason below.

Currently (February 2019) Microsoft Edge is not working optimally. Microsoft plan to make some changes in the next few months that will make their browser work more like Chrome and hopefully this will also improve the user experience in future. Keep an eye on their updates for more news on this.

Where can I get Google Chrome from?

You can easily download Google Chrome from their website here. After clicking “Download Chrome” a new window will pop up, where you´ll have to confirm the download by clicking “Accept and Install”. Before this step please decide if you would like to set Google Chrome as your default browser and if you want to allow the browser to automatically send usage statistics and crash reports to Google, then select the relevant options as they appear. An install file will be downloaded and the installation will start right away if you are performing this with Internet Explorer (when using Firefox, a bar with the downloaded file will appear at the bottom of the page, which you will need to double-click and then accept the installation by selecting “Run”).

Where can I get Firefox from?

In order to install Mozilla Firefox please visit their website here. Select “Download Now” and the file will be downloaded to your computer. A new window will pop-up on the bottom of the page asking you how to proceed with the downloaded file. Choose “Run” and Mozilla Firefox will be installed (when using Google Chrome there’s a bar with with the downloaded file will appear at the bottom of the page, which you will need to double-click and then accept the installation by selecting “Run”).

Where can I get Opera from?

In order to install Opera please visit their website here. Select “Download” and the file will be downloaded to your computer. A new window will pop-up on them bottom of the page with the downloaded file. Click on the pop-up. Another new window will appear asking you how to proceed with the file. Choose “Select” and the Opera installation dialogue will pop up. Click “Install” and the installation will start.

Why shouldn’t I use Microsoft Edge?

As of February 2019, Edge is not currently recommended due to some performance issues, but later updates by Microsoft may improve this. For now, please use Chrome, Firefox or Opera.

Why shouldn’t I use Internet Explorer?

Internet Explorer is an outdated browser and will continue to cause more issues with your general browsing as time goes on. Microsoft have stopped actively supporting the browser except for some small security updates and will eventually completely remove support. If you are still using Internet Explorer it is vital that you upgrade to ensure a smooth and secure browsing experience in future, not just for Big Farm but for your general use of the internet.

I changed my browser, but I can’t find the game anymore! What do I do?

Don´t worry, your cows are safe! If you have changed the browser you are using for Big Farm, your bookmarks from the old browser are not automatically transferred and your simple method of connecting to the game might be lost at first. But you can easily find the game by visiting the website http://www.bigfarm.goodgamestudios.com/ and saving it as a bookmark (see the below question for more details on how to do this).

How do I set a browser bookmark?

Google Chrome/Mozilla Firefox:

1. Visit the website for which you intend to save a bookmark.
  2. Click on the star icon on the right hand side of the URL bar (address box).
  3. Either use the pre-entered name or name your bookmark how you would like it to appear.
  4. Decide where you would like to see your bookmark after saving it. The best location would be to save it in the Bookmarks Bar (Chrome/Firefox) or the Favourites Bar (Edge), so you will always see it on the top of your browser.

I already have a bookmark, do I need to update it?

Yes! Though you may already have a working bookmark we recommend you ensure it leads to http://www.bigfarm.goodgamestudios.com/ and no other URL. Other URLs may result in issues with loading or accessing the game, so please make sure any saved bookmarks use the correct address. We recommend updating your current bookmark anyway, just to be on the safe side.

General

I see values displayed in-game, which seem to be incorrect, what can I do?

A good old refresh (F5 key on your keyboard) does the job in those cases and should solve this issue. If wrong values are still displayed and you think you are missing products or any other farm items, please contact support and report your loss.

How do I play Big Farm?

You can play Big Farm in the same way as usual, just visit http://www.bigfarm.goodgamestudios.com/ (you can bookmark this link too so it’s always easy to find) and login to your existing account or register a new one if you haven’t yet. Please do not use any other link to access the game as this may result in errors or inability to connect/play.

What about the standalone Flash player I used to use?

It’s true that in the past we gave advice on how to play the game using a standalone Flash player, which some have been using for a while now. Since HTML5 and Flash are not compatible technologies this will no longer be possible. If you have previously been using the Flash player, please stop attempting to connect via this app or any other URL than http://www.bigfarm.goodgamestudios.com/ as it will not work or allow you to play any longer.

What will happen with my account?

Nothing! That is, we won’t be making any changes to your account and you can still access the game with your old account and continue to play with that account in the HTML5 version. It couldn’t be easier!

Will my login details still work?

Your login details will still be valid and you can log in as usual. Please make sure to have your password available and register your email address by collecting the in-game welcome gift as this will ensure you are always able to change your password without our assistance if you need to do so.

What will happen to my game progress?

Your farm will remain in the pristine condition you remember it (so long as you left it in a pristine condition!). Nothing will change here and progress will not be lost.

I forgot my password! How can I login again?

If you have forgotten your password and registered with an email address, you can easily retrieve a new password through the “Forgot password?” icon on the login page.Just click on it and a new box will appear asking for your registered email address. Type it in, click the green button and you will be sent an email with instructions on changing your password. Please also check your spam folder since sometimes our emails can get caught in there. If you didn't register with an email address, please contact our support with your correct username and a valid email address we can contact you on. You can find our support here.

I don’t know my account login details! What can I do now?

If you can´t remember your login details, don´t panic! If you registered your account with an email address, you can retrieve your password through the “Forgot password?” button. The email you receive will also clearly display your username. You can also check other emails we have sent you, such as the email with the welcome gift for registering for the game. It is important the you recall your login details as our support team cannot help unless an account can be located, so please ensure you write your details down somewhere safe for your reference.

My account is blocked/banned! What can I do?

If your account has been blocked or banned, indicated by a message appearing stating as such when you attempt to login, you can contact our support department for more information and assistance by clicking here.

How do I shorten a link in order to post it in the in-game chat?

Link shortening services are very common, especially if you are a Twitter user for example. While a Google search will bring up a few results, the Big Farm team recommends using the bitly link shortener service. This allows you to paste links which are much, much shorter than the full length version and save space in the chat box or messages. You can get to Google link shortener by clicking here or typing ‘bitly.com’ into your browser. Then simply paste the link you want to shorten and click the ‘Shorten’ button to get a nice and compact version of your link to paste where you like.

Can I play Big Farm on my mobile device?

Aside from our mobile version of the game, Big Farm: Mobile Harvest, the new HTML5 version of the game is playable on regular mobile browsers. The game is still targeted at desktop PC devices and any errors resulting from playing on a mobile device cannot be accounted for, but the possibility should be available to try playing the game on your mobile! Check out our explanation on this topic here.

Currently the joy of playing Big Farm on your mobile devices is blocked by an issue, which prevents users of some browser Apps such as Google Chrome and Firefox Apps from navigating within their farm, which makes farming quite a challenge. But Big Farm is still playable with Puffin browser. Here is a small workaround for you: Activate the mouse cursor or trackpad feature from the menu setting, hold down the mouse cursor or trackpad for a bit until the circle appears on screen. Once the circle is charged, you can drag the screen and move around your farm. For the other options, we’ll see if there is anything that can be done from our side.

Please note: This announcement will regularly be updated by us to always cover all important questions you guys have.

Thank you for all your questions and for being so awesome!

Your Big Farm Community Team

Post edited by Keledar on

Sign In to comment.