Home EN General Discussions & Questions Tutorials and FAQs

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Dockyard Strategy Calculator - https://discord.com/channels/820962964391198741/1144678085850042458

DoctorX (INT1)DoctorX (INT1) Posts: 139
edited 11.02.2024 in Tutorials and FAQs
Hi Everyone

If your like me and you want to make the most out of the new Dockyard but you don't know what Crew/Equipment will give you the best returns, here is the solution for you......
Post edited by RosyStarling on

Comments

• DoctorX (INT1)DoctorX (INT1) Posts: 139
    edited 01.07.2017

Version 2.1

• A -Select location and the boat you would like to use
    • B - Enter the quantity needed to empty location (Can be left blank, Calculator will assume that enough fish is available.)
    • C - Select strategy type

• For strategy type "Profit/Hour" and "Income/Hour" 
    •  Select a time Option 1 "Best" gives you the best "Profit/Hour" and "Income/Hour" and ignores time Option 2 gives the best combination withing that time 
    • D - Select if you want to use the Recommended Combination Y uses the combination listed under Best where as N uses the values you enter.
    • If you plan to use Non-standard crew set this not N
    • E - Specs of your ship before and after crew is added.
    • F - Fishing time 
    • G - Recommended combination (NB The recommended combination is based only on standard crew, no non-standard crew or chum is included in the recommended combination) adding the rest would add thousands of extra combinations 
    • H - Fish Caught
    • I - Income and cost of Trip
    • J -Income and Profit per Hour
    • K - Non Standard Items and Crew

Please take note that due to the fact that this version makes suggestions it is slightly more resource intensive than the previous version of the Calculator 
    Post edited by DoctorX (INT1) on
  • thank you, save me lots of time!
  • maxiroy (US1)maxiroy (US1) US1 Posts: 436
    Thanks so much for this Doc!
  • JVD (US1)JVD (US1) US1 Posts: 2,784
    Love the calculator, it is wonderful!!! thank you so much!! :))
  • It's a pleasure, I'm glad you all enjoy it.
    If there is anything that does not make sense, or you would like to know or have me add to the Calculator please let me know.
  • Southern (US1)Southern (US1) US1 Posts: 3,268
    I'm impressed. :)  VERY nice work. Clean, accurate, informative. 

And so PRETTY!

Two big :+1::+1:  :)
  • Thanks @Southern (US1) , I tried to ensure that it is as easy as possible to use, while giving you as much info as possible to make decisions.

I found that the only time it is not accurate is if you try to save more time than is available, for example trying to save 3 hours on a 2 hour trip.

• Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557

Fine job, well done @DoctorX (INT1) really impressive and so helpful!! THANKS!
  • dchen1 (US1)dchen1 (US1) US1 Posts: 993
    The crazybigfarm website does not work on my computer.
    Can you put an attachment of the calculator in a post?
    To post an attachment, click on the folder between the link and image buttons and select a file.
  • CrazyBigfarm55 (US1)CrazyBigfarm55 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,226
    This is such a hand little app. I works best for those fishing holes that you want to empty fast so they reset. I like it mostly for planning my trips. Knowing the profit is great too, but this offers so much more.

Thank you @DoctorX (INT1) for sharing this with us.

Here is a direct link to his app @dchen1 (US1):   
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025126/uploads/editor/70/oemfqnyk5d53.xlsx
  • andy123321 (INT1)andy123321 (INT1) INT1 Posts: 117

Can't open the App...  although its an XLS file, I hit a Pay-Wall..

• tessa17 (US1)tessa17 (US1) US1 Posts: 106
    Found and xls viewer but I cannot find an xls editor.  So sad as I am horrible at math.   :s
    This is such a hand little app. I works best for those fishing holes that you want to empty fast so they reset. I like it mostly for planning my trips. Knowing the profit is great too, but this offers so much more.

Thank you @DoctorX (INT1) for sharing this with us.

Here is a direct link to his app @dchen1 (US1):   
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6025126/uploads/editor/70/oemfqnyk5d53.xlsx
    Thank you
    I always use specific fish equipment so the boats can get the normal amount of fish
    If there is no specific fish equipment, efficiency will be only 1/4 of the fish caught per hour.  
    Can you add specific fish equipment to the excel sheet or the google sheet I converted?  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y3RmhSIMNXw4ewsTUjlLs8SCzSqiyVUe5NrtxL7SYjs/edit?usp=sharing
  • CrazyBigfarm55 (US1)CrazyBigfarm55 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,226
    For those of you, like me, that don't have anything to open a .xlsx file. Download this Microsoft OpenOffice. It's a free and safe download Microsoft. This will open that app for you @tessa17 (US1)

http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
  • HI @tessa17(US1)    I got it to open online using google sheets, I downloaded the file then opened it from my pc with google docs. hope that helps.
  • Lylu (INT1)Lylu (INT1) INT1 Posts: 448
    Thank you
    I always use specific fish equipment so the boats can get the normal amount of fish
    If there is no specific fish equipment, efficiency will be only 1/4 of the fish caught per hour.  
    Please explain why you think "efficiency will be only 1/4 of the fish caught per hour".  

If you send a boat with fph=8, fish time of 2 hr and capacity of 20, you will get 16 fish.  

The only difference specific fish equipment would make is whether you 16 of only one type of fish, or get a distribution of all the types of fish in the pool totaling 16 fish 
    Thank you
    Please explain why you think "efficiency will be only 1/4 of the fish caught per hour".  

If you send a boat with fph=8, fish time of 2 hr and capacity of 20, you will get 16 fish.  

The only difference specific fish equipment would make is whether you 16 of only one type of fish, or get a distribution of all the types of fish in the pool totaling 16 fish 
    I sent a norfolk wherry to a swordfish, salmon, cod area with equipment making the capacity 124 and 20 fish per hour for 6 hours and 30 minutes.  It is supposed to catch 124 fish, it only caught 10 of each fish, only 30 fish.  
    Thank you everyone who gave me links and to @JVD (US1) who sent me mail to be sure I didn't miss it.
    I have it running and I really like it!!!
    And a big THANK YOU to @DoctorX (INT1)  for creating it.

I would like to ask if everyone sticks to these formulas?  Previously I would do 1 gerald, 3 Pauls, 2 lg freezers, 1 freezer, 3 coolboxes  00:3900 travel 3 hr fishing 21 fish per hour, storage holds 63

• archerbob (AU1)archerbob (AU1) AU1 Posts: 531
    I clearly don't know what I am doing cause no matter what crew/equipment I put on my boats when they come back in I get 1 fish and not what I sent it out to fish...  I think this dockyards/fishing feature is totally bugged.
    Thank you

I sent a norfolk wherry to a swordfish, salmon, cod area with equipment making the capacity 124 and 20 fish per hour for 6 hours and 30 minutes.  It is supposed to catch 124 fish, it only caught 10 of each fish, only 30 fish.  
    That sounds like you meant to add the Fishing Time crew for 5 hours, but somehow didn't and the boat fished for 1.5 hours @ 20 fish/hour.  
    You should test your theory again, I think you will find you had an error before.  Special fishing equipment doesn't affect fish/hour rate, only type of fish caught.
  • Hi All

It has been brought to my attention that the travel time on location 1 is out by a few minutes, I will just check the other amounts to see if they are all correct then I will upload the new version.

Also I have been thinking to maybe add an option where you can select a strategy the app will then give you a suggestion on what the best combination would be, would anyone be interested in this.

I am thinking to add the following strategy options
    • Profit/Hour
    • Profit/Trip
    • Length of time for trip
    Any other suggestions are also welcome.

• Southern (US1)Southern (US1) US1 Posts: 3,268
    edited 16.06.2017
    Hi All

It has been brought to my attention that the travel time on location 1 is out by a few minutes, I will just check the other amounts to see if they are all correct then I will upload the new version.

Also I have been thinking to maybe add an option where you can select a strategy the app will then give you a suggestion on what the best combination would be, would anyone be interested in this.

I am thinking to add the following strategy options
    • Profit/Hour
    • Profit/Trip
    • Length of time for trip
    Any other suggestions are also welcome.

@DoctorX (INT1) - What's up, Doc?  (couldn't resist)  I'm quite impressed with your calculator.  I am always teaching myself new things to do with Excel, and there are several techniques you used that I haven't mastered yet.  I wish I could crack it open to see the commands and formulas you used - any chance you would send me the protection password privately?

I have only one critique, but it is kinda a big issue to fix.  In it's current format, the calculator restricts us to choosing the 'proper' crew and equipment for the boat chosen; unfortunately this is often not the best strategy.  This is particularly true for Motorboats and Runabouts.  If I were to make an improvement, I would add the functionality of choosing any equipment for any boat.  Of course, you then have to factor the inefficiencies of using the wrong equipment, and that complicates the data tables a bit.
  • @DoctorX (INT1) - What's up, Doc?  (couldn't resist)  I'm quite impressed with your calculator.  I am always teaching myself new things to do with Excel, and there are several techniques you used that I haven't mastered yet.  I wish I could crack it open to see the commands and formulas you used - any chance you would send me the protection password privately?

I have only one critique, but it is kinda a big issue to fix.  In it's current format, the calculator restricts us to choosing the 'proper' crew and equipment for the boat chosen; unfortunately this is often not the best strategy.  This is particularly true for Motorboats and Runabouts.  If I were to make an improvement, I would add the functionality of choosing any equipment for any boat.  Of course, you then have to factor the inefficiencies of using the wrong equipment, and that complicates the data tables a bit.
    This may take some time to add, but I can look into it, when mixing crew will you select only one type of of crew for that type eg. putting a "Brigitte" on a runabout, or do you want to be able to put a "Brigitte" and a "Joe" who have the same function onto one boat
    @DoctorX (INT1) - What's up, Doc?  (couldn't resist)  I'm quite impressed with your calculator.  I am always teaching myself new things to do with Excel, and there are several techniques you used that I haven't mastered yet.  I wish I could crack it open to see the commands and formulas you used - any chance you would send me the protection password privately?

This may take some time to add, but I can look into it, when mixing crew will you select only one type of of crew for that type eg. putting a "Brigitte" on a runabout, or do you want to be able to put a "Brigitte" and a "Joe" who have the same function onto one boat
    I was referring to the situation of putting a Brigitte (Trawler type) onto a Runabout (or any other non-trawler boat)..

Of course, an even further extension of the calculator would allow being able to put different crew members with the same function.  ie a Brigitte & a Joe on one boat.  The multitude of combinations available tends to grow astronomical quickly, and could prove unwieldy in the calculator.
    Love, Love  what you did but I admit I am with @Lylu (INT1)  on adding addition options other than what the game suggested.   
    For example:  an overnight run with the Skip jack  I will do   4 freezer, 1 nancy, 1 james, 1 lisa  
    With your current setup I cannot add James to the equation.    
    edited 19.06.2017
    Love, Love  what you did but I admit I am with @Lylu (INT1)  on adding addition options other than what the game suggested.   
    For example:  an overnight run with the Skip jack  I will do   4 freezer, 1 nancy, 1 james, 1 lisa  
    With your current setup I cannot add James to the equation.    
    Hi Tessa

I am working on it and should have this added to the Calculator by the end of this week, maybe earlier.
    I am glad you are finding the calc help full.
  • Thank you very much for the wonderful program!

By the way, I found a blog that calculates on the browser.
    I think that it is not good to know and keep silent, so link url.
    edited 23.06.2017
    Hi All

Here is a preview of the new calculator, it is not quite ready yet but should be soon.
    The next version will allow non-standard Items and crew as well as give suggestions as to what the best combinations are.

• Thank you DoctorX (INT1)....Bookmarked for safety & convenience !

I may post it to my group (The English Forum Group) in the forum for fast recall....all are welcome to join  B)

Sign In to comment.