Home EN General Discussions & Questions Most Discussed Topics

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

Fishing Hard Worker Event

Comments

• feathy (GB1)feathy (GB1) GB1 Posts: 39
    im still at a loss to understand the drop off from 9 to 10,
    tuna 9 per second for 14 hours move to 10 per second and got  7 hours 

i was totally wiped out with time on lobsters 9 per second  24 hours  10 per second 45 minutes

down in the 80's ranking wise because of this

doesnt make any sense to me 

but  i guess ggs know best
    Similar here, dropped down to rank 17. Clawed my way back up to some degree. It was why I thought it was broken, I was expecting maybe 5 times more difficult (original hard worker is 3 times more difficult going to speed 10) , but 80 times more difficult made me wonder if it was broken. 8 times more difficult is hard but not harsh, but 80.. Ouch.
  • Scifi (GB1)Scifi (GB1) GB1 Posts: 78

Well I got stuck in second place at speed 9, and got passed by a 10 speeder....

Maybe a quite random event, such as catching a WHALE, would mix the rankings up a bit... 

My fellow Co-Op member, started the event just after he had harvested all his boats, and has been stuck in 20th or so position ever since..   I was lucky that I overslept at the start, and had my whole fleet fully loaded in port.

I think we have all learnt a lot this time.

• 24-KL0V3R (US1)24-KL0V3R (US1) US1 Posts: 2,464
    Yes, I kept clearing my pools in hopes of getting more shrimp pools so I could raise my shrimp rate to 9/min or 10/min, but the cleared pools kept being replaced by lobster pools or herring/tuna pools...the "randomness" was stuck on lobsters or herring/tuna...would never give me shrimp pool....until finally I got two of them..AFTER the HWE was over...now I get them...now I don't need them so much...now I'd rather have the swordfish pools....great timing GGS!  I was in 1st for a long time until the last 18 hrs when I hit the shrimp snag then I dropped to 8th :'( ....Oh well.  Congrats to the top 5 players!  o:)
  • Corvid (GB1)Corvid (GB1) GB1 Posts: 625
    edited 27.06.2017
    @Everyone

I passed on your questions about the time drop from 9 points to 10 & as expected, it is intentional & how the event has always worked. 10 points is meant to be a short boost, not somewhere you can sit for hours at a time, otherwise everyone would just be on 10 points for the whole event & there would be no competition.

The balancer agrees that the drop from 9 to 10 is a drastic one, however, the suggested "fix" would be to make the transition from 8 to 10 more even, which would reduce how long you could run at 9 points. I suspect that you would prefer it to be left as it is now, (I know I would) - Post your comments & as always we will pass them on. :)

did they say why some fish dont drop drastically when hitting level 10? (as demonstrated by the chart earlier in the thread)

i ran level 10 for almost three days

is it a bug? i wanna know for next time, if they're gonna nerf it, i'd rather know going in :)

Just done a calculation..   ( Speed x 3.6 x Hrs x Days = Fish.)

Speed          Max Fish
    10               3.456 M
    9                 3.118 M
    8                 2.764 M
    7                 2.419 M
    6                 2.073 M
    5                 1.728 M
    4                 1.382 M
    3                 1.038 M
    2                 0.691 M
    1                 0.345 M

In other words just keep above Speed 4 to get the Gold.

• Artmaker (GB1)Artmaker (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,495
    Gees, just tried to sift through the last few pages.  I wish I knew what you people were talking about.

First wascally,  "There are several posts claiming that it is better to use extra crew instead of Chum, you can decide that for yourself, but Chum is profitable to sell & also produces seaweed as a bi-product, so it is worth making even if you do not use it for fishing."

Where and how does chum produce seaweed?   I  have yet to see that.

Will try adding a crew for awhile… but so far, every blasted boat picks up ONE lousy shrimp per trip.
    Trying to fill the task of what is it? 50 shrimp?  Is taking forever.  Maybe by next week I'll have enough for a shrimp cocktail.  

To everyone else here, please…. use words.  I'm wasting enough time trying to figure out what should be a simple game, just don't have time to go googling 
    acronyms that might only have meaning here and google won't know what that is.  

So… little help here? 
    FHW
    GML
    HWE
    FHWE

GGS --- well ok, that one I figured out "Good Game Studios".   See? Not that hard.  GG works.  This one I think we all get.  

All this use of acronyms started back when texting costed money per character.   Well it doesn't anymore.
    So…. for the sake of us old farts, words work.   wipeftllog  does not.

Hi Artmaker, just spied on your fishing fleet, and see that they are all fishing Ok.

Maybe you are not loading the correct crew and storage boxes on the boats before you send them out to sea.

For a Basic Start...    Click on a motor-boat in the dock, and load the empty spaces with 2 Small Coolers, 2 Johns, and 2 Walters.   These are the Storage, Deckhands and Captains respectively.   If you run out of Bods or Boxes, there are more to be bought using the icons at the top of the page.     Travel Speed Mechanics are also available.

With that sort of boat + crew you should get a catch of about 20 fish.

The Runabouts require Coolboxes, Pauls, and Geralds.

Hope that gets you into some good fishing, there's lots of money to be made.

• JVD (US1)JVD (US1) US1 Posts: 2,784
    @Artmaker (GB1)  LOL (Lots of Laughs)

FHW - Fishing Hard Worker
    GML - Gold Mining License
    HWE - Hard Worker Event
    FHWE - Fishing Hard Worker Event (Same as  FHW without the E)
    Well I tested, sent one boat with chum, one with workers (the group of guys) and one with nothing.  Each one got ONE shrimp a piece.   This is pitiful.  (I have put boxes and other crew on, no difference.) And boring as all get out.    Honest, I really don't care for saving charts and cheat sheets, and fishing through forums to find it all.   Especially in summer, no time for this to be a full time job.  

Well… it took forever with ONE shrimp per boat, (not even watching how much this is costing.) 
    But somehow I'm up to lobsters.   Put a lobster trap and crew in one, trap crew and chum in one, left two alone.
    I swear if they all come back with a single lobster a piece, that's it.  I'm just not stocking boats with anything.  Let them come back one at a time.  Sooner or later I'll advance anyway.  Which really seems stupid.

(By the way, note to the graphics team, lobsters do NOT crawl out onto rocks and dive back into the water. Crabs would leave the water, some more than others depending on species.  But never lobsters.
    Ah but then again, they drew the fish with blinking eyelids.  Gees guys, take a look at the real thing first huh? Cutsie game stuff is one thing.  But just a tad of realism would be nice. Fish don't have eye lids.)

• First wascally,  
    Where and how does chum produce seaweed?   I  have yet to see that.

@Artmaker (GB1) Seaweed is a random bi-product when you produce Chum, in the same way that it is when you produce restauarant plates of Sushi or higher If you have been producing Chum regularly, look at the first item on the farm supplies tab, in your farm management & you will find that you have probably accumulated some.
  • aaabbb1 (INT1)aaabbb1 (INT1) INT1 Posts: 1,049
    edited 28.06.2017
    Well I tested, sent one boat with chum, one with workers (the group of guys) and one with nothing.  Each one got ONE shrimp a piece.   This is pitiful.  (I have put boxes and other crew on, no difference.) And boring as all get out.    Honest, I really don't care for saving charts and cheat sheets, and fishing through forums to find it all.   Especially in summer, no time for this to be a full time job.  

Well… it took forever with ONE shrimp per boat, (not even watching how much this is costing.) 
    But somehow I'm up to lobsters.   Put a lobster trap and crew in one, trap crew and chum in one, left two alone.
    I swear if they all come back with a single lobster a piece, that's it.  I'm just not stocking boats with anything.  Let them come back one at a time.  Sooner or later I'll advance anyway.  Which really seems stupid.

(By the way, note to the graphics team, lobsters do NOT crawl out onto rocks and dive back into the water. Crabs would leave the water, some more than others depending on species.  But never lobsters.
    Ah but then again, they drew the fish with blinking eyelids.  Gees guys, take a look at the real thing first huh? Cutsie game stuff is one thing.  But just a tad of realism would be nice. Fish don't have eye lids.)

Try this. It's not the ideal path, but at least it will get you going:

1. Upgrade dockyard to level 2.
    2. Buy three or four runaboats and upgrade them to level 6
    3. Equip them with: 1 Gerald (guy with the cap in "fish with the clock department"), two Roy's (the most expencive guy form the "fish with the hourglass department", and 5 large freesers. You could leave the last spot empty or put in protection (any will do).
    4. Send those boats fishing (pools further away are the better ones)
    5. Upgrade dockyard to max
    6 Build level 1 trawler 
    7. Equip it with two large freezers and all other spots fill with Roy
    8. Keep repeating step 6 until you can build no more boats (you should have 14 of them buy now)
    9. Upgrade trawlers one by one to level 6
    10. Equip them with 4 large freezers + all other spots with Roy and send them fishing.
    11. Runaboats can catch 60 fishes, level 1 trawlers arround 100 and level 6 trawlers around 250. So, when you are going to have a lot of boats, before sending
    them to fishing pools, make sure that there are enough fishes in the pools (do not send a level 6 trawler to a pool with 3 shrips in it!)

If you are not high enough level to be able to build those boats, let me know and I will change the instructions accordingly.

• There are several things to think about when loading your boats, 
    when you equip your boat, lets take for instance you are equipping a trawler
    you cant just add the 3 crew the fishing tackle you need and fill the rest of the slots with  large freezers and expect to catch the number of fish in the box below, that figure is just  telling you what the boats  capacity could be, the figure you need to look at is the fish caught per hour, if your trawler is  out fishing for 6 hours and your fish caught per hour is only 10 then you will only catch 60 fish maximum, so if your sending out a  runabout and fish caught per  hour is 1 and your boat i fishing for 1 hour then you will only  catch 1 fish, 

what i do  is load the required crew for that  vessel add the correct fishing tackle then i look at how long the boat will be out at sea for, check the fish caught per hour and set up my freezers and extra crew to maximize the possible fish i catch by adding extra crew, usually the one who increases the fish caught per hour then i add freezers to hold that amount of fish, by adding the crew member who increases the time at sea you can increase your catch too, its not about how fast you can get your boats back to the dock its a game of patience,

the screen shot above shows a Norfolk wherry set up to maximize  a lobster catch, with a capacity of 112 is it out at sea for 6 hours  30 minutes  with  fish per hour at 20 giving a total possible catch of 130 lobsters but the  capacity is only 112 so max you will catch is 112, i added an extra crew member in this case James as he increases the  fish per hour, before i added him i could only catch 91 fish max because  before i added an extra james the fish per hour was only 14, the  wherry is a bad example to be honest because the thermic box only adds a bit to the capacity of the boat, i use the wherry and the skip jacks as clean up boats to finish off the last few fish in the pools so i would never send them out to deep sea fish i always use my trawlers for that.
    i hope this helps a bit.

when i started the dock yard i bit the bullet and upgraded  my dock yard to the max as soon as i could, ok it is expensive to do and takes time and i built trawlers, upgraded a few to level 2 and i have a level 3 & 4, these are my main fishing boats the ones that make the big dollars, the dollars you spend on upgrading and building the trawlers you will soon make back, if you cant afford to  upgrade quickly build the best boat you can equip it correctly concentrate on swordfish and salmon it might be out fishing for 12 hours but the rewards are great and will allow you to upgrade the dock yard, my fleet  makes on average between 30 - 40 million dollars per day sometimes more depending how long they are out at sea, i dont mind sending a boat out for 15 hours because i know the rewards are worth it, this is the best addition to the game GGS have made as far as im concerned, the earning potential is huge once you get the hang of it.

sorry this is so long and i might have repeated myself a bit  hope it helps someone  :)
    Seems like an aweful lot of upgrading and I'm not seeing any reward from all this.  It's certainly NOT FUN! 
    Not for me.  Some people might enjoy reverse engineering a game, or digging up charts and graphs from those who already did it, but I'm not one of them.  I like to know what stuff does and what do I get if I do XXXXX.  IN THE GAME!   With this entire fishing thing I don't.  My little test?  Every single boat, regardless of what I BOUGHT to equip it with, came back with ONE LOBSTER EACH!
    So what was the point of paying for the crew, lobster traps, chum, or anything at all?  Each of my 4 boats came back with a single thing regardless of what it was or wasn't equipped with.
    This just isn't fun at all.
    I'll keep sending the boats, empty, and just let them catch one thing at a time.  Eventually everything in this game levels up.   Or not. really don't care.  Selling goods from that fish restaurant isn't very profitable at all.
    Flower farm is.  Gourmet farm is.   But this?   WAY too complicated and WAY too many levels of upgrading needed.   

Same goes for the whole coop village.   WHERE is the profit?  All we seem to be doing is sacrificing crops to grow side crops and keep upgrading buildings.   When do the buildings start making stuff we can actually sell?
    The competitions are really stupid.  And for the most part I think the newness has warn off.  Two of my coops are not starting, or being challenged anymore.  GOOD!  The rewards for all the work needed are just insulting.  Besides, I don't even know what row upon row of them do.   No one in any of my coops seems to know either.  So why would I want them? Haven't needed stacks of boxes or icons of workers with stuff around their necks.  What exactly are they for?   Don't care, didn't need it this far, don't see the point.

I think I'll just work on my main farms.  All this side nonsense just isn't fun at all.
    Even the temporary farms, candy now, honestly, no matter how many hours I sit at this, or how fast I try to upgrade everything.  Bankrupting my own farm to do so.   And for what?  I NEVER can get past the second chapter.  Forget EVER seeing the thing fully built.    Just when I get to the point stuff can be made fast enough to be profitable, the event is over.  Farm bankrupted or darn near, and for what?  The same decor I have already, and seeds to send the boat off faster?    It comes around again and we have to start all over.
    It's gotten old fast.   I think the next round of these, I let them all go.   So what if the boat sits. 
  • grrr (NL1)grrr (NL1) NL1 Posts: 664
    edited 28.06.2017
    Hi @Artmaker,

I'm not sure you really want to know about fishing, seeing all the advise you've been given by a lot of helpfull players, but I'm going to try to give you an easy way of fishing, no need to upgrade the dockyard beyond level 1!
    Just use the small motorboat, equip it with 5 x John  -listed under tab fish per hour- send it to a fishing hole and it will come back with about 12 fishes, whatever is available in that hole.
    You'll make a fair bit of money and might be enthousiastic enough to upgrade and experiment with equipment.
    I understand that all the calculations about maximum catch are too complicated, don't go into that myself, but along the way I made so much profit that I've now got a fleet of 14, from motorboats to skipjacks and the amount of money I make is bordering on the ridiculous :)

Hope this helps.

PS I'm talking about the smallest boats, in dutch they're called motorboats, not sure about the english names!

Post edited by grrr (NL1) on
  • feathy (GB1)feathy (GB1) GB1 Posts: 39
    edited 29.06.2017
    Yes, they're motorboats in English too :)

The money from fish is very nice. It's worth persevering with. It took me a while to understand how it works.
    Best advice I can give is DO NOT put specific-fish equipment in your boat. I used to, until realising I didn't need to. That can (and will) result in 1 (or no) fish caught if you use it wrong.

That aside, the aim is to maximise the fish caught in a trip, and minimise the time taken. There's a lot of tactics involved in that. Provided you don't try aiming for specific fish (as per above advice) you should get better returns.

Hopefully you can find out what works for you.

Addendum:
    Fish for lobsters. It might take a while to return. A motorboat with 1 person to extend the fishing time, 2 crew to increase the fish caught per hour, and 2 crew to reduce the travel time is a good start.
  • Hi Guys it's not rocket science, you don't need to be a Professor of Mathematics....

Just Multiply the Hours x Fish per Hour to give your possible catch.

eg..    For a level 4 Runabout

2 Pauls -----  14 Fish per hour.  and ...  1 Gerald---   ~3 Hours

Which is 14x3 = 42 possible fish

So load 4 Coolboxes, (=42 fish.) and you still have one empty space for a speed-up Joe if needed.

edited 29.06.2017
    Every single boat, regardless of what I BOUGHT to equip it with, came back with ONE LOBSTER EACH!
    So what was the point of paying for the crew, lobster traps, chum, or anything at all?  Each of my 4 boats came back with a single thing regardless of what it was or wasn't equipped with.
    This just isn't fun at all.

while there are a few nuances and various ways of fishing (eg for max load and long times vs smaller loads but quick returns and quicker pool turnaround), the basic game is pretty simple, maybe you're overthinking it

and btw, when you fish for lobster you don't need to use lobster traps, because the only 'fish' in there is lobster, so that's the only thing you can/will catch (i'd never use items to catch specific fish anyway, waste of a slot, unless it's during the hardworker event)

for now, ignore chum, ignore protection, ignore specific fish equipment

just fish along these lines for now and see the mechanics of it, honestly it's really simple (tho using a calculator makes it even simpler)

step 1. add one crew member to increase time spent fishing
    step 2. add a few crew members to increase fish caught per hour
    step. 3 step 1 X step 2 = fish you can catch
    step 4. add coolers/fridges to increase your capacity to match sum of step 3 (if they dont match right, play around a little to get the totals close, they dont have to be exact, just close - ie capacity =/close to the number fish you can catch
    step 5. send the boat to a pool
    step 6. wait
    step 7. click on boat when it returns to the dockyard
    step 8. flop onto the bed shouting hallelujah, rubbing stacks of dollars over your body, while manically laughing

Post edited by Corvid (GB1) on
    edited 29.06.2017

11. Runaboats can catch 60 fishes, level 1 trawlers arround 100 and level 6 trawlers around 250

level 6 trawlers can catch 303 fish, maybe they can do more but that's the most i've managed to get from them - 7 large freezers, 3 roy, 1 victor

and i throw 1 brigitte in the empty slot cos i cant find a way of using the final slot to increase the catch
    Depending on time you have in-game and to send out your boats, here is a little math using the original dockyard calculator by doctorX:

Fishing location 6 (just to the left of sunken ship) filled with Tuna and Herring using a lvl 6 Trawler:

Boat 1: 5 Brigittes, 4 Roys, 3 chum. Total Travel time: 2h22min. Fish caught: 195. Cost of trip: $104,125 (without chum it is $68,125, so the calculator is adding $36K for the chum guessing based on profit lost for fish used to make chum). Profit from trip: $2,655,983. Profit per hour: $1,168,725.           

Boat 2: 1 Brigitte, 7 lg freezers, 3 Roys, 1 Victor. Total Travel time: 10h15min. Fish caught: 303. Cost of trip: $291,025. Profit from trip: $4,168,681. Profit per hour: $406,701.
    yeah there are many ways to do it, there is no one way that's best, profit per hour isn't the be and end all of it either

the main thing is, we're raking it in left right and centre :)
    I totally agree with you @Corvid (GB1) and everyone should experiment with other combinations as well...  work with what is best for your personal play style!  ;)
    I don't know where you guys are getting 60 fishes.  It seems no matter what I load onto the boat, or nothing at all, I get one.  ONE!!!!  Count um, ONE!  I can't feed the children on one shrimp. 

One farm I tried upgrading the fishing dock, level 3 I think.   Makes no difference.
    Another I upgraded the restaurant a bit, yea one more dish opened up.  Big whop.
    Now I have not tried upgrading the boats.   Just sent them out so when they come back I'll try one of the motorboats.  

Again this needs to be IN THE GAME!   Other stuff is.   I can click any farm building, click info, click production and see exactly what each upgrade will do.  It's incentive to actually upgrade things.   
    But this?   Aside from all the great advice you all keep trying to feed me here,  (and I do appreciate everyones time, really.)  The whole thing is just frustrating.    None of this is in the game.  I have other things to do besides try this that and the other and no matter what I try I get ONE ONE ONE every time.
    If just one boat would come back with TWO of anything I'd say hey, ok, what did I do right here.  But no.  ONE!  Empty boat, or one with every slot filled with stuff and people I get ONE per trip.  I send them to the same hole.  you would think the boat loaded with crew and equipment might catch more than the empty crewless boat floating around out there.  But no. ONE!
    I don't like frustration.   Been playing on other game sites more and more lately.   When it's raining.  Summer I'm outside mostly.   Go to the lake and watch the real boats.  Phoey on this mess.
    edited 29.06.2017
    ????????????

dont use protection, dont use chum, dont use specific fish equipment, dont use travel speed

throw any combination of capacity (coolers), fish caught per hour (crew member), fish time based on available fish and boat capacity (crew member) - i dont care who you use or how many, just throw a bunch together using the first option Equipment/Crew window (there's a button at the bottom that lets you look at the crew/items you've bought in preparing your boat - you have to select them to make them fill up the slots before sending your boat out)

you will not come back with one fish

thats only three elements you have to use to get a bunch of fish

if that doesnt work, your game is either bugged or this is a wind up
  • grrr (NL1)grrr (NL1) NL1 Posts: 664
    ???? as well!

One more try:

if this isn't a wind up the only thing I can think of is that you're not using the appropriate fish per hour crew for you boats.
    The smallest boat (motorboat) without fish/hour crew (John) catches 2 fish per hour and fishes for 42 minutes, indeed, the one fish you're talking about.
    Just add 4 x John, the boat will catch 7 fish. No need to add anything else, the boat capacity is 10 fish.
    7 lobster will sell for 126.875 dollar, not bad is it?

Just be sure to add the right fish per hour crew, if you hover the mouse over the boat logo it tells you which boat it is meant for.

So, now I'm off to unload a few million worth of fish B)

• aaabbb1 (INT1)aaabbb1 (INT1) INT1 Posts: 1,049

11. Runaboats can catch 60 fishes, level 1 trawlers arround 100 and level 6 trawlers around 250

level 6 trawlers can catch 303 fish, maybe they can do more but that's the most i've managed to get from them - 7 large freezers, 3 roy, 1 victor

and i throw 1 brigitte in the empty slot cos i cant find a way of using the final slot to increase the catch
    The numbers are written for the crue I stated in a original post: so 4 large freezers and everything else Roy. You are adding Victor in your boat, that where the difference comes from.
    lets have some fun!!!
  • not impressed that calendar still show this event is to start tomorrow.   What is the point of a calendar if you can't get the dates right.
    not impressed that calendar still show this event is to start tomorrow.   What is the point of a calendar if you can't get the dates right.
    it started at 1201 am CEST... on the 18th.... it is tomorrow in Germany
  • My first need is for oysters and lo and behold, not an oyster in sight on my farm. Go figure! 
  • Again it comes down to all servers should run on their own time zones
Sign In to comment.