CrazyBigFarm

Login Problems? Click here for help!

Krampus is coming (beware creepy thread)

Hello all, 
May I introduce you to the scariest time of the year around the alpine region. I know Krampus is known in many areas of the world, so feel free to share your country's version, stories, shivers and screams. Kiddies beware, these monsters are real.

Comments

• jess_d (US1)jess_d (US1) Posts: 3,499US1
    Ooohhh I love it, especially since the Krampus movie will be out soon! Its late here so I can't come up with anything scary tonight but I'll add something tomorrow. Thanks for starting a new and fun holiday thread, Michiru! I really enjoy them! :)

Success Team is looking for new members! Click Here
  • Michiru (GB1)Michiru (GB1) Posts: 1,239GB1
    edited 28.11.2015
    Cheers @jess_d (US1)  <3
    I didn't know they were making a movie. Those costumes are creepy enough already lol :D  

• Lesley52 (GB1)Lesley52 (GB1) Posts: 1,590
    Lol Never heard of Krampus I am from Yorkshire so looked up Yorkshire ghosts Christmas also been a time for ghost stories. So here is picture of ghost from Yorkshire moors.

edited 28.11.2015
    *goosebumps* @Lesley52 (GB1) Oh I have been in Yorkshire too many years ago, but thankfully never met that creepy ghost  :s

*readjusting specs* Allow me to tell you a bit about the Krampus I have grown to fear:

It's an ancient pre-christian custom, that survived in the rural /alpine parts of Bavaria in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and apparently also in Slovenia, Croatia and Italy (got that part from wiki :blush: ). The word Krampus originates from the Old "high" German word for claw (Krampen). In the Alpine regions, the Krampus is a mythical horned figure represented as accompanying St. Nicholas. Krampus acts as an anti–Saint Nicholas, who, instead of giving gifts to good children, gives warnings and punishments to the bad children.
    Traditionally, young men dress up as the Krampus in the first two weeks of December, particularly in the evening of December 5, and roam the streets frightening children and women with rusty chains and whips and bells. Things have a tendency to get a little out of hand.... disturbingly so. Once you see a group dressed in Krampus gear, no matter what age you are or how good you've been, you drop everything and RUN. RUN FAST. They do. not. act. human.

• jess_d (US1)jess_d (US1) Posts: 3,499US1
    Cheers @jess_d (US1)  <3
    I didn't know they were making a movie. Those costumes are creepy enough already lol :D  

Those costumes are creepy! If I saw something like that it would scare the hell outta me!

Here's the trailer for the Krampus movie if you're interested....

Yikes!!! He's on the house! Everyone hide!!!

Success Team is looking for new members! Click Here
  • Dara (SKN1)Dara (SKN1) Posts: 2,638SKN1
    Here is something i found.
    Nuuttipukki was a real and old tradition in Finland. I think people in nowdays don't all even know about it.
    This i found from internet, it is not my own translation. It is not like Krampus, but "scary" :wink: 

Nuuttipukki was the traditional guest during St. Knut's day. Nuuttipukki was a man dressed up to look frightening. He usually wore animal horns, and on occasion there would be two men inside the costume, one playing the part of hind feet. The source of the tradition is believed to be the lore of the lapp people, where a goat-horned figure has featured for centuries. Children were often afraid of
    Nuuttipukki.

Nuuttipukki was a real tradition in Finland.

After Christmas, around St. Knut's day on the 7th of January, groups of people, old and young, but mostly young adult men would dress in old, threadbare clothes and furs worn inside out. Men would dress in women's clothing and vice versa. The main part of the costume, however, was a pair of horns and a mask made from animal leather, wood bark or paper, such as this one from Sipoo, ca 1800:

They would go around their neighbours' houses, demanding beer and drinking it in copious amounts, singing rowdy songs and playing pranks if the hosts were stingy with the beer. The day was known as Nuutti's day, but also as Yeast-nuutti or dregs-nuutti, because the beer barrels would have been almost empty at this point in Christmas celebrations.

It was believed that dead relatives would come visit on Christmas, and that they would have to be evicted after the celebrations. And the best way to do that would be in disguise, so they wouldn't get angry at any living relatives. This was the premise for people to go around drinking the last of their neighbours' beer.

The celebrants were supposed to remain unknown while going from house to house, and the main entertainment for the hosts was to try and guess who the guests were.

The Nuuttipukki gang was lead by the Nuutti baron, who had a mask, a jacket made of straw, a hat of some description, a baton and a wooden sword:

And yes, the children would be terrified, and people would drink beer and laugh at them.

Thank you @Dara (SKN1)  I quite like the idea to evict visiting ghosts of past relatives with the help of Nuuttipukki and lots of beverage :D Poor neighbours though lol

This link is from the german forum, it shows the "controlled" version of Krampus time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLLMZKP2fUM&feature=youtu.be

• Jiesta (NL1)Jiesta (NL1) Posts: 6,557
    No time to add ........... coz I ran as fast as I could when seeing your first post  

Sig designed by farmerjohn 22 (US1). THX!!

• farmerjohn 22 (US1)farmerjohn 22 (US1) Posts: 30,334US1
    edited 01.12.2015
    Krampus? YIKES!!!!!!  I'm sure glad I didn't grow up with a Christmas legend like that!
    I was the naughtiest kid around! I would have been a goner! :D  Here in the States, the worst a naughty child could expect was coal in their stocking. Man, are we Americans soft on our kids or what ?! ;)

Post edited by farmerjohn 22 (US1) on

Well ..... finally I found myself a Krampus I can share without shivering: 

edited 11.12.2015
    I found something interesting (and odd) concerning Krampus. Apparently he likes to seduce the ladies.  Guess looks aren't everything!  :D

That's the first time I've heard that @farmerjohn 22 (US1) :D 
    I suppose if you know the man under the fur it could be.. erm.. interesting.  >:)
    But naw. Maybe not. 

• bdreish (GB1)bdreish (GB1) Posts: 1,341GB1
    edited 14.12.2015
    How about this as a soundtrack for Krampus?

Or maybe this one :-

Post edited by bdreish (GB1) on
    bdreish @ en 1
  • OMG @bdreish (GB1) that is so scary!!!.... You give me nightmares now!! photo 136_zpsfvzeyagggif

We need a pic of friendly ole Santa!!!  

Uh oh, Krampus got back in....RUN!! 

Maybe the kids will be safer with Rudolph!

More scary than that, what sort of parents give their kids over to these guys for a photoshoot???

Yikes, @RunsWivScissors - and I thought my post was dark lol ;)   
    bdreish @ en 1
    Now you listen @bdreish (GB1) and @RunsWivScissors (GB1) !!!! Ya bad, bad gals!!!
    It's my bed time now, right!? I need my sleep, right !? Don't need any scary nightmares, right !?  

So, this one is for you creeps:

and if I were you ... I'd run!

@RunsWivScissors and @Jiesta ; -  I have another video link but it could be a bit too scarey for younger players. I will send it in PM. 
    bdreish @ en 1

I also know....

where..

the bad girls..

live!

Phew, I am okay then as I am VERY VERY GOOD ;)
    bdreish @ en 1
    Phew, I am okay then as I am VERY VERY GOOD ;)
                                In that case, you get a visit from a cute little Santa. :)

This discussion has been closed.