Home EN General Discussions & Questions

Join the official Goodgame Big Farm Discord today!Join our Big Farm Discord Server

Are you looking for a community of like-minded farmers to discuss your farming experience with? Look no further than the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server!

Our server is the perfect place to connect with other farmers from around the world. Whether you're looking to chat about strategy, share tips and tricks, or just make new friends, our community has got you covered.

And that's not all - as a member of our Discord server, you'll also have access to exclusive giveaways and other special events. It's the perfect way to stay up to date on all the latest news and updates from GoodGame Studios.

So what are you waiting for? Join the GoodGame Big Farm Discord Server today and start connecting with fellow farmers from all over the world. Just click here to join the fun!

HTML5

So I just saw the email that this game is moving off flash and will be coded with HTML5.

I clicked play….. BUT… is that testing HTML5? Or not?  

The email also goes on about upgrading browsers.

LISTEN HERE!  Not everyone in the world wants to upgrade every five minutes to the latest greatest BS!
I use Safari.  And it's an old version because I cannot upgrade unless I first upgrade the entire OS.   
And unfortunately Apple has lost sight of what they once did so well.   In other words, later OS version
PURELY SUCK BEANS!  
I have been putting off upgrading for awhile now hoping they get their collective heads out of their butts and listen to people.

I know at some point I will be forced to swallow an unstable, annoying new OS.  Safari has been unable to read more and more stuff so the day is coming.
I do have firefox….. but that's ALL I will have.

CHROME is NEVER HAPPENING!!!!!! 
Chrome is owned by Google and they have absolutely ZERO SUPPORT what so ever. 
Just TRY to contact anyone at google.   Not to mention they track your every move.  Something Facebook is in a world of trouble over right now.   I want nothing to do with Google products.  
So please don't tell me to install Chrome.   

Pretty sure HTML5 is just a slightly more glorified HTML which SHOULD WORK on any browser, assuming the coders know what they are doing.  

So guess the simple question is this.
Is the game running on HTML5 now?   Or is there a test somewhere I can try?

Comments

• SuzyQ22 (US1)SuzyQ22 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,475
    I think all your questions are answered in the email they sent.  I just read it and found your answer on how to use the testing HTML5.   I promise not to take you down a deep dark road here.  Just reread your email from GGS.  Suzy!
  • noisy (US1)noisy (US1) US1 Posts: 210
    edited 19.04.2018
    It doesn't have the option to change to HTML 5 as shown in the picture enclosed in email. That's why unsure if on HTML 5 version & I clicked play link in email as well as opening game from URL
  • SuzyQ22 (US1)SuzyQ22 (US1) US1 Posts: 1,475
    It doesn't have the option to change to HTML 5 as shown in the picture enclosed in email. That's why unsure if on HTML 5 version & I clicked play link in email as well as opening game from URL
    It says if your server has been changed over you will be able to play the HTML5 version.
  • Please read the Official Announcement too.

Once it is launched on your server, you will be able to play your LIVE game on either HTML5 or the way you do now on Flash. So if you find you cannot play it on Firefox @Artmaker (GB1) you can just report that on the HTML5 Feedback thread (not yet posted) & then go back to playing on Flash.
  • Artmaker (GB1)Artmaker (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,495
    AH Wascally your my hero.   That answers it fine.   Thanks.  

lol…   you know how flash wants you to upgrade like every five seconds?   Apple actually fixed safari to not work at all if flash isn't as upgraded as it can be.
    So my geek daughter, reprogramed the computers in our house and somehow changed the date somewhere in there to infinity so the computer always THINKS it's fully upgraded and doesn't kill the browser.  
    I still get the update notices but can opt to just close them.   Nothing happens.  

(yea yea… I know all about "security issues."  Honest, there is nothing on my computer any hacker would be able to do a thing with.  And our router is also set by her to ONLY recognize the specific devices entered into it.  Even IF someone had our password, it wouldn't do any good.  Love having a geek kid.  Best tech support around.)  
  • I am super excited about the change. Flash is a dying technology and has been for years now. Nobody uses it anymore except really old sites/games. I sympathize with the dev team, switching from one to the other is a massive effort. 

As someone that works in the IT industry, I can't recommend enough using Chrome over any other browser. Devs love it and it's for a good reason (which is too long and technical to describe here). I have never ever had the need to contact support for Chrome/Google. I can't even imagine why anyone would need to do that, unless they need help using the browser. But then a simple search with the question on Google would give you millions of answers.

Facebook has nothing to do with Google. They're separate companies. 

As long as you reach out to the internet, your private data will always be captured. All websites do it, all mobile apps do it, all companies do it. Everybody you ever visit has parts of your private data. There is a "computer" out there in the world that has all your text messages, all the sites you have visited, all the text you have ever typed, all the pictures you have ever looked at, all the emails you have ever sent... Nothing you do is really private. Privacy on the internet is a buzz word. It doesn't exist and it never will. The politicians can put in place more regulations, but they really don't mean anything which is why technical people laugh at what is going on currently in the world with "facebook". With all the laws in place, that text message that you send to your wife/husband still needs to reach a machine and be stored, which means someone can still access it and read it. If that person has a bad day or the company pissed them off, they could still release your "private" text to the world to see.
  • garybaldy (GB1)garybaldy (GB1) GB1 Posts: 502
    I am really pleased they are beginning to release HTML5 , very wisely a bit at a time. Hopefully will help a lot with lag hassles, shows game has a future and maybe we will get a bigger team on the PC game once its all up and sorted, could be a while.....:)  :)  :)  :)
  • I am ready for the change! Glad they are rolling it out a little at a time Server-wise, best way imho.  :)

• whiziwig (US1)whiziwig (US1) US1 Posts: 1,262
    would love to know from anyone using HTML5 if it is as fast as Adobe flash
  • would love to know from anyone using HTML5 if it is as fast as Adobe flash
    Think of Flash like the carts pulled by horses in the old days. And then the cars (HTML5) appeared and nobody trusted them. And now they're our go-to way for transportation.
  • artful (US1)artful (US1) US1 Posts: 6,617
    edited 20.04.2018
    One problem with Chrome is that it no longer supports Macs with certain OSX operating systems, so now you have to either use another browser, limp along with an older version of Chrome, or change your operating system.  It's always something! LOL!

Post edited by artful (US1) on
  • Piebaldsparkle (GB1)Piebaldsparkle (GB1) GB1 Posts: 107
    edited 20.04.2018
    Pretty sure HTML5 is just a slightly more glorified HTML which SHOULD WORK on any browser, assuming the coders know what they are doing.  

Oh my that is a BIG assumption to make, given the recent foul ups! ;)
  • FarmerMica (US1)FarmerMica (US1) Posts: 53
    edited 20.04.2018
    One problem with Chrome is that it no longer supports Macs with OSX operating systems, so now you have to either use another browser, limp along with an older version of Chrome, or change your operating system.  It's always something! LOL!

I have Chrome on my Mac. I am not trying to sound disrespectful, but your statement is not true. Chrome works on Mac and it will update itself to the latest version. You don't need to update your OS, unless you're running something older than Yosemite (even so, there are ways to still install Chrome on it).

If you don't like Chrome or you can't use it, personally, I would still stay away from Safari and just use Firefox instead. 

Here is how you can download and install Chrome on Mac: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
  • FarmerMica (US1)FarmerMica (US1) Posts: 53
    edited 20.04.2018
    Here is a comparison between Flash and HTML5: http://flashvhtml.com/

You can play Waste Invaders on both the Flash version and the HTML5 version.
  • artful (US1)artful (US1) US1 Posts: 6,617
    edited 20.04.2018
    Here is a comparison between Flash and HTML5: http://flashvhtml.com/

You can play Waste Invaders on both the Flash version and the HTML5 version.
    Chrome no longer supports certain Mac OS because Apple no longer supports them. Mac customers have been sent notices to this effect from both Apple and Chrome. Chrome still works on Mac, true, but Chrome no longer will provide updates to those Mac users. Our only options are to switch to browsers or if we want a fully-supported Chrome Browser, and be fully supported by Apple, we have been told to change our operating systems.

https://9to5mac.com/2015/11/11/google-chrome-ends-support-older-mac-os-x/

• Artmaker (GB1)Artmaker (GB1) GB1 Posts: 1,495
    I am super excited about the change. Flash is a dying technology and has been for years now. Nobody uses it anymore except really old sites/games. I sympathize with the dev team, switching from one to the other is a massive effort. 

As someone that works in the IT industry, I can't recommend enough using Chrome over any other browser. Devs love it and it's for a good reason (which is too long and technical to describe here). I have never ever had the need to contact support for Chrome/Google. I can't even imagine why anyone would need to do that, unless they need help using the browser. But then a simple search with the question on Google would give you millions of answers.

Facebook has nothing to do with Google. They're separate companies. 

As long as you reach out to the internet, your private data will always be captured. All websites do it, all mobile apps do it, all companies do it. Everybody you ever visit has parts of your private data. There is a "computer" out there in the world that has all your text messages, all the sites you have visited, all the text you have ever typed, all the pictures you have ever looked at, all the emails you have ever sent... Nothing you do is really private. Privacy on the internet is a buzz word. It doesn't exist and it never will. The politicians can put in place more regulations, but they really don't mean anything which is why technical people laugh at what is going on currently in the world with "facebook". With all the laws in place, that text message that you send to your wife/husband still needs to reach a machine and be stored, which means someone can still access it and read it. If that person has a bad day or the company pissed them off, they could still release your "private" text to the world to see.
    Awesome post.  You do make some very good points. And yes, I am well aware that "privacy" is a thing of the past.  

My daughter is into IT stuff.  MUCH higher end than programing games though.  But here's the thing.
    Apple and Google don't play nice together.   Which is a darn shame for all of us. Before the Steves and before Microsoft, tech people were just college kids and happily shared information.   Well those days are also long gone.  Now it's all about keeping the companies assets confined to that company.
    So… Apple still has the most stable equipment and most intuitive UI.  Google has amassed the most data. But neither company likes to work together.  SIRI when it first came out was awesome.  But Google put limits on what apple products can use.  Fouled up everything, siri once so useful became somewhat brain dead and that could have all been ten times better by now.
    WOW you should hear my daughter go OFF about how stupid it all is.  (Maybe not, what a temper.)  Just try and find a restaurant without getting all the fast food crap. You can't.   Try to get directions and say NO TOLLS.  You can't.  USE TO!  No more.
    When companies stop communicating with their customers, and each other, they will go down hill.  This is happening more and more all the time.  You can't even call any "phone company" and actually get a person to pick up the phone on their end anymore.  

My personal gripes with google…
    1.  AdSense.   I have my own site and since I HATE ads, I don't slap them all over the place.  But the money was tempting so for awhile I tried putting AdSense ads on just a few select pages.   In about six months time my "earnings" were up to a whopping 60.00.  At this rate it could pay for my annual site fee.  Cool right?
    All of a sudden the ads were blocked.  Google sent a note that I violated some rule, and I read their long winded rules pages over and over.  NO ONE to ask.  NO WAY to find out what's going on.   They had an appeal process so I tried.
    THEN…. I got onto googles own forums and found out that literally tens of thousands of people had the exact same issue.  And the canned reply I got was the exact same one everyone else got.   So Google kept the money from not only me but many thousands of other individuals. Money I earned with their stupid ads on MY site.   Who's going to hire a lawyer and sue over 60.00?  Even a class action would be tough since google could afford an army of lawyers.
    No one to call, no one to ask what happened.    Just screwed.

2.  Back when Google Earth was brand new.  Local news ran a story that if you see your likeness showing up on google earth, "just contact google and they will remove it."    YEA RIGHT!   Contact WHO?  And remove it AFTER it's been on line?   You already said once it's out there, it's out there. 
    I wrote to the news guy and asked just how would anyone "contact google?"   He actually sent me a mailing address.  A physical place.   So I wrote a note to google, put a stamp on it, and it came back "addressee unknown.  Undeliverable."  Wrote back to the news guy who never did reply.  

There is a website (not as good as they once were)  for how to call companies and get around their voice mail from hell.  https://gethuman.com  I actually found a phone number for google. But when I called, I got some snippy woman who only wanted to know how I got the number, then said "we do not offer support" and hung up on me.   

So… I'm sure a browser won't break your computer.  BUT… what if something does happen you don't like?
    Not everyone is a tech expert or can afford one.
    What if somehow there was an issue between the browser and something it's suppose to do?
    Just who would you contact to work that out?  It's really stupid on the companies part, since issues can never be brought to their attention.  As for google tracking every place you go, NO!!!!! 
    And yes I am aware it's done all the time.  Mostly with cookies you can delete.  Sometimes with sneakier stuff you don't even know is happening.   (Etsy got in big trouble over that one before I left.)

Google and any product google makes can just biteme.  Even their search blows wind.  And yet again, they have accumulated the most data so even though it's got it's issues, and no way to let anyone know, they still beat everyone else.   
    Still… I will NOT be installing ANYTHING Google on to ANY device I own.     Ever.  

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file